BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 10022 Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibanda View Post

I have been using projector for past 2 months and I been happy with image quality and functionality. Since last week I am receiving recall code when `Auto' button is pressed from remote and suggested to contact customer support. Apart from Recall code, it's not able to focus whole screen, part of corners are blur. If I tried to focus corners rest of the screen goes blur. I have contacted BenQ multiple times and they have no Idea how to resolve. Only solution is reset setting and nothing happened. BenQ said they will sent me email (3 different times) for next steps but never got one. I am highly disappointed with BenQ's support. I then contacted Amazon for return/refund but since I passed 30 days and so no full refund.
what should I do? any advice?

Usually Benq tech support is good. I would ask for second level support and tell them that you previously contacted them with no response. I am guessing someone copied your email address incorrectly. I have called them several times and got through with no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 10022 Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I guess I don’t have another option to contact them back and would push for level2 support.
post #4863 of 10022 Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Thanks. I guess I don’t have another option to contact them back and would push for level2 support.
post #4864 of 10022 Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 63
post #4865 of 10022 Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

I have finally obtained some power consumption numbers. My power meter won't be very accurate but it is good enough to make a comparison.

In normal mode, it is around 300W consistently.
In economic mode, it is around 220W consistently. - This matches Benq's claim of 30% power reduction.
In eco smart mode, it changes between 220W and 300W, depending on the brightness of the scene. - This is nowhere near the 70% Benq claims.
I have never seen the eco smart mode to consume below 220W, even on some dark movies. Maybe there are some very dark movies out there, but not in my collection. The only exception is the eco blank mode where it drops to 110W. But what's the point of this number in everyday viewing?

I recently added a UPS to protect the lamp of my W1070 in the case of a power outage (has already happened twice without it). The UPS display includes a load meter and the numbers that I am seeing for the SmartEco mode are very much consistent with what you report.

For me, the numbers aren't as important as the fact that the projector is truly varying the output to the scene, and that my lamp hour rate is more favorable than when it was in Normal mode 100% of the time. The bulb life is going to be what the life is going to be. With 784 hours in less than three months of use, a bulb change is sprinting in my direction. rolleyes.gif

post #4866 of 10022 Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39

Both good prices, but the 1070 might be a little better in some areas and might be the better deal for some people. An interesting take on these by Coderguy and the HC 4000
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1381679/official-benq-w7000-owners-thread/3360#post_23348670
post #4867 of 10022 Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13

The w1070 has been $999 for a couple weeks on amazon, same price at many online retailers.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4868 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #4869 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't see it till you pointed it out. Don't show anyone.
post #4870 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post

Is this a concern?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/taeu6762h53a328/20130524_175413.jpg

My w1070 is like your second (above) pic but possibly not a major concern unless it has warped from getting too hot (in which case then it would be a definite concern).

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4871 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

My w1070 is like your second (above) pic but possibly not a major concern unless it has warped from getting too hot (in which case then it would be a definite concern).

Jason

It's brand new barely 6 hours use. Hopefully it was like that out of the box. For now I have put a piece of electrical tape on to hold it down.
post #4872 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 AM

I'm concerned, all the HD could leak out, it'd be like the gulf spill a couple years ago.
Seriously you'll probably want to exchange it even if it doesn't affect performance it will nag at you that it isn't perfect, unless you can put it out of your mind. Another option would be just a dab of adhesive if you can hit a spot that's unseen when its glued down, just use something that can be pulled apart if it goes in for service, not super glue.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4873 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM

Liked: 30
Boy, the more measuring and calibration and movie watching, the more I enjoy its image quality. Can't remember how many times I put a silly smile on my face!

Before I bought this little beast, my only incentive was big picture and reasonable image quality. I have never thought a budget projector can even remotely compare to the plasma. But now I found I can't stop comparing the two. I cloned the output from HTPC. HDMI for the PJ and DVI for the plasma. The fact of comparison itself is enough of a quality statement of this projector.

And in fact I'm now convinced this PJ has actually surpassed the plasma, which is a decent Panasonic purchased a few years ago.

Here is the screen shot of black clipping from AVS HD. The Panny can never resolve anything below 6, even on the brightest brightness. Yet the Benq easily shows all black bars as low as 2, only on brightness 48. Of course eventually we only need to set brightness to 17-25, but it just shows the Benq is more capable of displaying more subtle shadow details.

The white clipping is similar. Both missed the brightest bar.

Color clipping is again in favour of the Benq. It resolves all color bars distinctively. The Panny has an early clipping on red channel so I have to lower the brightness a bit (which again sacrificed shadow details). To be fair the Benq is calibrated using the data from this forum. The Panny has no CMS entry so all I can do is adjust brightness, contrast and color (saturation). It can probably perform better if professionally calibrated.

In movie watching the plasma is brighter, more vivid and more pop, but just made me feel like video game. The Benq is more smooth and natural and film like. Ironically, this is the same situation when I bought the TV. At that time it was LCD vs plasma. LCD was brighter, more vivid and more pop, but the plasma won me over for the film like quality. Now this plasma has become the LCD or yester year!
post #4874 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

Can't remember how many times I put a silly smile on my face! To be fair the Benq is calibrated using the data from this forum.
Can you share which calibration? Thanks.
post #4875 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Further to my recent Costco inquiry, I have just called again to Customer Service in Canada and they confirmed US Visa cards CAN be used on the Canadian website, but you must ship it to a Canadian address. If you can do this the upcoming above deal could probably be yours!!

1) Will this projector be available for in store pickup? Probably not.
2) Can Americans use their US Visa card and get it shipped to a Canadian address (a friend) if they notify their CC company? Yes, US Visa cards are accepted.
3) What is the actual price going to be considering the projector only is currently $1000? Most likely still $800 like we thought.
post #4876 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

Further to my recent Costco inquiry, I have just called again to Customer Service in Canada and they confirmed US Visa cards CAN be used on the Canadian website, but you must ship it to a Canadian address. If you can do this the upcoming above deal could probably be yours!!

2) Can Americans use their US Visa card and get it shipped to a Canadian address (a friend) if they notify their CC company? Yes, US Visa cards are accepted.
3) What is the actual price going to be considering the projector only is currently $1000? Most likely still $800 like we thought.

And for those like be who recently bought it, you can call back in with your order number and get the price difference. $200 goes a long way and you get 2 glasses.

My home theatre build and basement development

post #4877 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

Hey thanks. I have a relative in Toronto that I can him ship to me. Does anyone know how much the custom is to ship it to the US? I never bought anything outside the US and don't know how it works. Thank you.
post #4878 of 10022 Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Can you share which calibration? Thanks.

Check post 4948 on previous page.
post #4879 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 03:53 AM

I've been having source issues with my HTPC. Was there ever a solution for people that have this issue also? Different HDMI cable?
post #4880 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The HTCP issue could be caused by the cable or anything else in the line. The only way to find out is to make tests to see what causes the issue. I had a problem and added the Monoprice Redmere cables which solved the issue for me. I am not saying that that Is causing all issues. It could be many things. I would also suggest that you do not use cables less that 6 feet between components in the system. It seems that for some reason very short cables can cause HDMI issues. I would also suggest using the same type of cable throughout.
post #4881 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
HDMI splitters seem to cause issues too

post #4882 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

It seems that for some reason very short cables can cause HDMI issues..

That's strange. I have used 1M, 1.5M and 2M cables to connect either HTPC or TV tuner to PJ or TV never had any problems. These are all very cheap ebay cable BTW. I thought only long cables will cause signal loss.
post #4883 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:

That's strange. I have used 1M, 1.5M and 2M cables to connect either HTPC or TV tuner to PJ or TV never had any problems. These are all very cheap ebay cable BTW. I thought only long cables will cause signal loss.

Rwestly , I think we briefly talked about HDMI cable length several pages back in this thread and you mentioned the short lengths giving problems . I can't remember if you were speaking from personal experience or relating information you've read . If you can remember where you read that , I'd be interested in seeing the info , not that I would fully understand the technical reasons , but I like pretty pictures . Really , sometimes I just like to geek out a bit to learn more than I need to , I tried briefly looking on HDMI.org , but the only cable length info I found (so far) discusses the general maximum length that's been certified
(From HDMI.org)

Q. Does HDMI accommodate long cable lengths?
Yes. HDMI technology has been designed to use standard copper cable construction at long lengths. In order to allow cable manufacturers to improve their products through the use of new technologies, HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. We have seen cables pass "Standard Cable" HDMI compliance testing at lengths of up to a maximum of 10 meters without the use of a repeater. It is not only the cable that factors into how long a cable can successfully carry an HDMI signal, the receiver chip inside the TV or projector also plays a major factor. Receiver chips that include a feature called "cable equalization" are able to compensate for weaker signals thereby extending the potential length of any cable that is used with that device.

With any long run of an HDMI cable, quality manufactured cables can play a significant role in successfully running HDMI over such longer distances.

Return to top

Q. How do I run HDMI cables longer than 10 meters?
There are many HDMI Adopters working on HDMI solutions that extend a cable’s effective distance from the typical 10 meter range to much longer lengths. These companies manufacture a variety of solutions that include active cables (active electronics built into cables that boost and extend the cable’s signal), repeaters, amplifiers as well as CAT5/6 and fiber solutions

Any better refwerence sources will be appreciated , I want things as trouble free as possible in my setup , if that means switching my shorter cables for six footers , I'll do it , just want some science to back up the information . I do have some occasional signal issues , I'm pretty sure it's caused by my A/V receiver , but if the shorter HDMI might be causing the problems , I'll switch them. Thanks

post #4884 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got this suggestion from both Lumigen and Darbee They claim that less than a 6' cable can cause HDMI error issues. I should have been clearer the problem is using a cable under 2M or 6 feet. I had an issue and changed to 6' cables between the Darbee and the receiver and the problems cleared up.
acras13 likes this.
post #4885 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I got this suggestion from both Lumigen and Darbee They claim that less than a 6' cable can cause HDMI error issues. I should have been clearer the problem is using a cable under 2M or 6 feet. I had an issue and changed to 6' cables between the Darbee and the receiver and the problems cleared up.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to file it in the database for future use if I run into signal issues. Right now I'm on 2' cables from all devices to my processor, then 25' cable out, I'll check if I have a couple 6'ers to switch out and see if my occasional problem goes away.

post #4886 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Cables are spec'd at 6' lengths, with shorter ones there can be some feedback of the signal, causing an issue. Not every time, and not every cable. It might work when it's a full moon, or go out when the month has an "r" in it..... smile.gif
Components all have different sensitivity and can behave differently in different setups as well. I've seen some people run long cables over 30' with adapters, splitters, couplers, etc. and not have an issue. In general over 20', some signals can get dicey, especially with 3d, and if you have other splitters etc in the run. I'd try to stay at least at 24 awg, for anything over 15'-20'. Red Mere seems to be a good product and can overcome issues with long runs, and is reasonably inexpensive. Just make sure it's connected correctly as it is setup so the signal only runs in one direction.
acras13 likes this.
post #4887 of 10022 Old 05-26-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to file it in the database for future use if I run into signal issues. Right now I'm on 2' cables from all devices to my processor, then 25' cable out, I'll check if I have a couple 6'ers to switch out and see if my occasional problem goes away.

I think the best recent info can be found, http://www.avsforum.com/f/168/hdmi-q-amp-a-the-one-connector-world
and look at some posts by user, alk3997 http://www.avsforum.com/u/7439477/alk3997, a very good source of knowledge on the hdmi subject. He/she is a human spaceflight engineer for peets sake, heh.
Stuntman_Mike and acras13 like this.
post #4888 of 10022 Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 AM

Ok well I have switched from the HDMI cable I was using to a different one that is longer. Hopefully it resolves my issues. Gonna be fun when I finally upgrade my AVR and I can run several HDMI devices through the one input.
post #4889 of 10022 Old 05-27-2013, 03:36 AM

Hi everyone.
Has anyone experienced the same problem?
My oppo 103 is connected directly to benq w1070 via HDMI 1 (video output), HDMI 2 is connected to AVR Pioneer 922 (audio channel).
After the connection the video worked just fine but not for long, after pushing the “3D” button on the remote the benq went blank saying “searching for a signal”.
After benq restart I can see the oppo’s menu but if push “start” to play a movie the benq again goes “blank” and says “searching for a signal”, and nothing helps, only if I restart the benq again. The same happens if I change video settings in the oppo menu.
As I understand it has smth to do with HDMI handshake problem. I have 1.4 vs. HDMI cable which actually worked with the oppo and it perfectly works with my PS3 and benq connected together.
Guys, need your help)
Thank you in advance
post #4890 of 10022 Old 05-27-2013, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromRussia View Post

Hi everyone.
Has anyone experienced the same problem?
My oppo 103 is connected directly to benq w1070 via HDMI 1 (video output), HDMI 2 is connected to AVR Pioneer 922 (audio channel).
After the connection the video worked just fine but not for long, after pushing the “3D” button on the remote the benq went blank saying “searching for a signal”.
After benq restart I can see the oppo’s menu but if push “start” to play a movie the benq again goes “blank” and says “searching for a signal”, and nothing helps, only if I restart the benq again. The same happens if I change video settings in the oppo menu.
As I understand it has smth to do with HDMI handshake problem. I have 1.4 vs. HDMI cable which actually worked with the oppo and it perfectly works with my PS3 and benq connected together.
Guys, need your help)
Thank you in advance

I have had the same issue with the Oppo, a Pioneer 1122K and a Oppo 103. I changed the cable and things improved. I still have to occasionally go into the Benq menu and change 3d to F.P.
1. How long is your cable from the Oppo to Benq.
2. Is it possible to try a different cable and a short cable to see if the issues is resolved.
3. You might want to try going from Output one on the Oppo to the Pioneer using a 6' cable and going from the 922 to the Benq instead of using HDMI2 for audio.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page