BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 173 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5161 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojodave View Post

We just bought a new home with a finished basement room of 22' x 32'. I knew a projector was in my future so I did some research and I put the BenQ W1070 on my short list. I then was tempted by the Epson 8350, because of cheap replacement bulb price, LCD and the good pro reviews. I read the consumer reviews and it seemed plagued by problems. I then saw a Optoma HD25 at a local home theater store and was excited about how good the picture looked. But, with no lens shift, I would be limited to limited placement options. I'm back on the BenQ W1070 train and now I'm trying to figure how big of a screen I can go in my room.

I'm thinking of keeping my 55" Panasonic plasma and use a motorized screen in front of it. Have any of you tried this option? Is having a TV and a projector a good idea?

There are a bunch of people on this site that do just that. I've considered it myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp86 View Post

I was reading about Upromise. It seems that is only money back towards college? I am out of graduate school and none of my loans are eligible according to Upromise. Is there another way to use that site and just get 5% cash back?

I think you can just request a check. I was about to do that for the first time to get my $200+ cash back, when I see they also have an option to set up a Sallie May savings account. With the linked bank account they also give a 10% bonus on your cash back. I set up the account which should result in getting me an extra .5%.

It is geared toward college expenses but I don't see any reason why it is limited to it.

From their facts:

Is this only for people with kids who have yet to attend college? I just graduated from college-is it too late for me?
Upromise is really for everyone. If you've just graduated from college, Upromise Loan LinkSM is a service to help pay down your Sallie Mae® student loans. If you're in high school or college, you can use the money you earn through Upromise to help pay for expenses you have now, or to help pay your eligible student loans after college

After the purchase is verified, the money is deposited into your Upromise account. Then, once you've accumulated $25, you have choices to either invest your earnings for growth in an eligible 529 account or use them to systematically pay down your student loan(s), You can even request a check directly from Upromise to cover school expenses or invest on your own.
post #5163 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I'm thinking of keeping my 55" Panasonic plasma and use a motorized screen in front of it. Have any of you tried this option? Is having a TV and a projector a good idea?

I also considered this option to use plasma for TV and PJ for movie. I plan to mount a motorised screen in front of the plasma, and use the Benq's 12v trigger to control it. All seems very fancy and hassel free.

But I watch TV news everyday, and also use PJ almost evereyday. This means the screen will roll up and down everyday. Probably will kill the motor in the long term. Also the screen has to be mounted at least 40-50cm ahead due to the TV is put on a cabinet, this will reduce my maximum screen size.

So at the end of the day, I did not bother. I just used the PJ exclusively for everything now. Even in daylight, as long as I roll down the windows blinds, it is perfectly watchable.

I'm just so annoyed that almost nobody integrates a DTV tuner inside the PJ (PA75U does not have AU tuner). It costs almost nothing for them to put in one. I have to mount another small HD tuner box on top of the PJ and connect to HDMI 2. That Topfield tuner takes 12V power and consumes 260mA. And the Benq's 12V trigger is capable of supplying 500mA, so it directly powers the tuner, which saved me another hassel of laying the power cable through the roof and mount tube. Good thing is the tuner is facing the screen, and if I point the universal remote towards the screen the reflection is enough to control the tuner. The same way of controlling the PJ. That almost makes you feel the tuner is already integrated into the PJ.
post #5164 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

That's what we did, nothing wrong with having options if it's an easy fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

I'm just so annoyed that almost nobody integrates a DTV tuner inside the PJ (PA75U does not have AU tuner). It costs almost nothing for them to put in one.

I'm glad they don't, in fact, I don't even care for them in TV's. Just more crap to break and (guessing) 99% of PJ owners wouldn't use.

Internet Certified Electrical Engineer
"I am just looking for an honest man."
post #5165 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 PM

Unfortunately I seem to be within the 1%. Can't imaging people don't watch TV any more?

Do they watch news? Doco? Sports live broadcast? Events such as 911? TV broadcast certainly has its place, especially for the live and time critical contents.
post #5166 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately I seem to be within the 1%. Can't imaging people don't watch TV any more?

Do they watch news? Doco? Sports live broadcast? Events such as 911? TV broadcast certainly has its place, especially for the live and time critical contents.

Of course I watch TV, but all the channels besides basic are scrambled so I use an external tuner. Mine happens to be computer based (Windows Media Center), but most of my friends have DVRs. The real question is how do you live without a DVR in this day and age?? tongue.gif

post #5167 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM

Probably this goes off topic. But maybe in the US most people are on paid cable. In Australia the cables are just too expensive. FTA broadcast are still good enough for the basics. They are still good for big events, such as world cup, olympic, F1, etc.

I don't see how important the DVR is (or is it PVR you're talking about?). If you miss something their web site has play back services, free. And most of time, if I miss something, just let it miss...
post #5168 of 10059 Old 06-25-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Probably this goes off topic. But maybe in the US most people are on paid cable. In Australia the cables are just too expensive. FTA broadcast are still good enough for the basics. They are still good for big events, such as world cup, olympic, F1, etc.

I don't see how important the DVR is (or is it PVR you're talking about?). If you miss something their web site has play back services, free. And most of time, if I miss something, just let it miss...

You get F1 on basic cable??? I hate you. I had to pay extra for the sports package to get it mad.gif

Given a busy life, I miss everything. All of our content is DVRed and we watch it at our convenience when we can. Not much use for live TV.

Anyway, I understand your POV. I was being a bit facetious earlier... point is: I see a projector is more of a secondary display/luxury item per se (in general) and they appeal to more niche clientele. I'd be more surprised if it did have a tuner built in. They already have plenty of heat to dissipate and enough moving parts/electronics to fail. No need for more.

post #5169 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone managed to get 3D working with XBMC right?

The 1070w only accepts SBS in 1080i format and XBMC wont let me select this
post #5170 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnywells View Post

Has anyone managed to get 3D working with XBMC right?

The 1070w only accepts SBS in 1080i format and XBMC wont let me select this

No problem here with SBS on windows 7 and OSX va XBMC. Just make sure you pick 60 Hz in addition to 1080i.

Having said that. Over/Under 3D works best as you can run 24Hz and get 144 Hz refresh rate for the 3D glasses. With SBS you're still at 120 Hz.
post #5171 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post

No problem here with SBS on windows 7 and OSX va XBMC. Just make sure you pick 60 Hz in addition to 1080i.

Having said that. Over/Under 3D works best as you can run 24Hz and get 144 Hz refresh rate for the 3D glasses. With SBS you're still at 120 Hz.

Im running openelec and you cant seem to select 1080i
post #5172 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I am using media browser with MPC and have to go to my AMD video card setting to change the resolution per movie format. I notice that i do not have 1080i 60hz option, only 1080i 30Hz so I have been playing 3D SBS with 30hz. Anyone know why 1080i/60 Hz is not there. My video card is Radeon 6670. Thanks and sorry about being off topic.
post #5173 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Have you donwloaded the latest driver?

But anyway, I don't feel comfortable to go to the control panel to change resolutions every time I play 3D media. So I downloaded a small command line utility and created 3 desktop shortcuts to change screen quickly. All I need is 1080p/60,1080i/60 and 1080p/24.
post #5174 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

You get F1 on basic cable??? I hate you. I had to pay extra for the sports package to get it mad.gif

No ..... we in Australia get F1 on free to air broadcast (FTA) i.e. the normal free broadcast not via cable, it is in digital and analogue (analogue broadcasts finish at the end of 2013). And F1 is in high definition as well!! Lucky us.

Cable TV is relatively expensive here and the Government makes a list of prescribed sports and events that must be broadcast free via the airwaves to the public. These include the Olympics, F1 etc.

Let me say that sport on the W1070 is great!
post #5175 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you donwloaded the latest driver?

But anyway, I don't feel comfortable to go to the control panel to change resolutions every time I play 3D media. So I downloaded a small command line utility and created 3 desktop shortcuts to change screen quickly. All I need is 1080p/60,1080i/60 and 1080p/24.
I just check and according to AMD auto driver detect, I have the latest driver. When I open up AMD vision engine control center on my desktop and under desktop properties, I can select 1080i, and the drop down choice for 60Hz but as soon as the two selections is made, the apply button is gray out/not selectable. I can apply 1080p/60Hz and 1080p/24Hz and 1080i/30Hz but 1080i/60hz. Any idea why? Can you share the command line for the 3 desktop shortcut? That will be awesome. Thanks
post #5176 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

No ..... we in Australia get F1 on free to air broadcast (FTA) i.e. the normal free broadcast not via cable, it is in digital and analogue (analogue broadcasts finish at the end of 2013). And F1 is in high definition as well!! Lucky us.

Cable TV is relatively expensive here and the Government makes a list of prescribed sports and events that must be broadcast free via the airwaves to the public. These include the Olympics, F1 etc.

Let me say that sport on the W1070 is great!

Expensive cable charges how about a dish?????? Just curios so if no dish then the only thing to do is to watch dvd etc on your BenQ?????

Ralph
post #5177 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Expensive cable charges how about a dish?????? Just curios so if no dish then the only thing to do is to watch dvd etc on your BenQ?????

Unfortunately in Australia one company (Foxtel) own BOTH cable and Dish rights and the charges are the same!!!

I have my set top box (1080p HD twin tuner 1TB PVR) connected to the Benq via HDMI and show the free to air / recordings that way. So therefore digital free to air and 3D blu-ray, blu-ray, dvd (upscaled) and computer/digital recordings available via the W1070, so things are fine.
post #5178 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM

I bought and my son likes it. I am talking about the mickey mouse style kids 3d glasses.
post #5179 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Unfortunately in Australia one company (Foxtel) own BOTH cable and Dish rights and the charges are the same!!!

I have my set top box (1080p HD twin tuner 1TB PVR) connected to the Benq via HDMI and show the free to air / recordings that way. So therefore digital free to air and 3D blu-ray, blu-ray, dvd (upscaled) and computer/digital recordings available via the W1070, so things are fine.

Here in the states that would be consider a monopoly since the same company owns everything cable & dish and can set price, without competition, here we have other problems, any way's we both enjoy the W1070 and thats what counts.

Ralph
post #5180 of 10059 Old 06-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I'm just so annoyed that almost nobody integrates a DTV tuner inside the PJ (PA75U does not have AU tuner). It costs almost nothing for them to put in one.
I was just thinking about that today. I'd definitely use it if it had one. It appears as though we are in the minority however.
post #5181 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Here in the states that would be consider a monopoly since the same company owns everything cable & dish and can set price, without competition, here we have other problems, any way's we both enjoy the W1070 and thats what counts.

We also would normally regard this as a monopoly but the Government actually approved Foxtel (main cable co) taking over Austar (dish or satellite as we call it) as Austar were going broke due to Foxtel buying up all the rights to content. Made it difficult for the others to compete. The Government felt it better to approve the takeover rather than letting the satellite sector collapse.

And yes, we both do enjoy the projector. Regards.
post #5182 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 AM

Sorry to "jump in" and drop a new question, but I am really needing a piece of information about this projector...

Is it possible to shift the image (such as for a 2.35 AR movie) inside of the 16:9 image area? I like to mask at the bottom (partially retract screen), and move a 2.35 image to the top of the screen.

From the manual it looks like it does NOT support this shift in HDMI mode (looks like it only supports it on VGA).

Anyone know?

Thanks!

WWJD
post #5183 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does the 1070 support Deep Color?

Also, I own this projector and the Oppo 103.

I've tried 4:2:2, 4:4:4, and RGB to see which looks best, but no matter what I select in the Oppo, the info screen on the 1070 just says "YUV."

Has anyone used a test disc, IE: Spears & Munsil version 2, with the 1070 or 1080 and the Oppo 103 to verify which settings are best?

Also, when I select Deep Color in the Oppo (any setting) the projector still works fine, looks the same, and simply doesn't state what it is doing with the Deep Color setting which is the reason I'm asking whether it supports it and what it does if it's sent deep color via HDMI.

Last but not least, is anyone using a control system via RS232 with this projector?

I got the IR Command codes direct from BenQ hoping there would be discreet on/off and most importantly, discreet "Input" commands, but unfortunately these do not exist via IR.

I've not yet asked BenQ for RS232 commands because I use IR and IP exclusively, but would happily invest in an RS232 system if it provided discreet power and discreet input. Does anyone do this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

--J

Thanks to EVERYONE that Helps Make These Threads so Awesome!

post #5184 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 AM

Liked: 44
I've got a Benq W1070 ordered and should arrive tomorrow. I've been into Home Theater for a long time, but this is my first projector. I have some rookie/noob questions.

1. On the Benq projector calculator, it says if you have a 100" screen, your throw is 8'9". Can the projector be mounted further back than this or does it need to be exactly 8'9"?

2. Do you have to hang the mount on a stud or do drywall anchors safe enough?

3. I've read a lot of this thread, but could someone send me a link to good settings for this projector.
post #5185 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
1. There is a zoom range, so you have a range of throw distance to work with.
2. I would mount it on stud even though it is only a few pounds for peace of mind.
post #5186 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Can you share the command line for the 3 desktop shortcut? That will be awesome. Thanks

I used this one, but you can find some others.
12noon Display Changer\dc64.exe -refresh=24
post #5187 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Price on Amazon is $899 this morning.
post #5188 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
That really tempts me to buy it prematurely. (i.e. basement isn't even began to be finished yet).

post #5189 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 13
I literally found it too tempting... Lol. Mine is on its way. Im wondering if the drop is to compete with the sweet deal our brothers up North are grtting (Costco.Ca)

I'm getting there....!!!
post #5190 of 10059 Old 06-27-2013, 10:33 AM

I bought mine last night for $916. I called Amazon and told them about the price drop and they said they would match it, but wouldn't be able to match it if it went down from here. I think it's going to be a while before it gets any lower than $899.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page