BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///3oris View Post

If you only watch at night, it's a little bright, but if you're used to watching an LCD you'll feel right at home. If you want the cinema effect, you'd definitely need to tone it down. Doesn't bother me on a 100" screen though. You can always turn the brightness down or get a filter... *shrug*

Thanks. Turning down the brightness (using the brightness control) doesn't have any negative effect, such as reduced contrast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom123 View Post

Quote:

If you only watch at night, it's a little bright, but if you're used to watching an LCD you'll feel right at home. If you want the cinema effect, you'd definitely need to tone it down. Doesn't bother me on a 100" screen though. You can always turn the brightness down or get a filter... *shrug*

Thanks. Turning down the brightness (using the brightness control) doesn't have any negative effect, such as reduced contrast?

Dropping brightness doesn't really change the black 'floor' so it hurts perceived black levels a little.
You can try it in Eco mode - which dims the whole lamp quite a bit and thus doesn't have this side-effect. A filter will be the same.

That said, since I'm used to LED TV's, I positively love the brightness!

See how you go - you won't be disappointed I don't think: it's a great pj. Clocked 400 hours yesterday :-)

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #5583 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom123 View Post

Quote:

You may need to use a Neutral Density filter over the lens (search this thread for a lot of info). The w1070 is a bright PJ and if you have a relatively small screen and/or a short throw distance (like me) then a ND filter is a must if you want to get the foot lamberts somewhere in the 12-16 ballpark that is recommended for movies. I use a ND4 and it gives a great result for me.   Turning down the brightness won't fix the central issue, which is that this is a very bright DLP PJ when used close to a smaller screen. Everyone will find that YMMV so it's a question of trial and error. ND filters are cheap enough so you can buy a couple and experiment. Buy a load from Amazon and return the ones you don't need if you like - it won’t take you 30 days to decide which is the one! ;)

post #5584 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristenen View Post

Anyone else having handshake problems with this projector? I have it connected to my 1522k but every time I turn both the systems on, I have to unplug my HDMI cable and play around with it to get it to sync up. I've changed the cable and projector without any improvement.

I'm just using the monoprice HDMI cable and it's 30' long if it makes a difference. Should I go back and try the Redmere cables to see if it solves my problems? Been dealing with this for the past month and it's quite frustrating!

If you have the ability to update the firmware to 106 there should be a HDMI handshake improvement. Have you checked the cables from your other sources to the 1522. Redmere cables might help.
30' is a long run for regular HDMI cables.
post #5585 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Got mine today as well. Did a quick set up in the living room with an Epson 16:9 80" portable screen I bought (until I have my 110" fixed frame in the basement). Just threw in the AVForums suggested settings for now, will calibrate when I actually mount it in the basement in a few months. My initial impressions:

I first set it up in my living room in the middle of the day and was horrified by the picture, mainly black level/contrast. Of course I realized this was probably due to the huge amount of light in the room. So I impatiently waited until tonight when everything was pretty much pitch black and fired it back up. Boy was I relieved... Still a little disappointed in the blacks/contrast, which being a long time plasma owner who never owned a projector before I think is something I'll have to adjust to a bit. However, the huge picture is something I think I'm going to like just fine smile.gif I can't wait to get this thing in its permanent home with the 110" screen, even the move up from 55" to 80" makes a world of difference! Colors were also very good, and the projector was much sharper than my ST50.

I have an ND2 filter coming, which should be here in a few days, so I'm definitely anxious to see if that will cut down on the black levels at least a little and improve the contrast as some have reported. Also, won't mind having that light cut down a bit, this thing is freaking bright. I've tested all the lamp modes and seem to settle on Eco mode, it gives the best contrast. The SmartEco gets too bright during bright scenes and the blacks aren't as good as in Eco mode.

Haven't tested 3D yet (waiting for my 3DTV Corp glasses), but am definitely excited to see 3D on the big screen.

One thing that really annoys me is when I put the lens cover back on, I always manage to move the focus from its current position. I also have a problem with the top right of the image (although I think it just may be the screen). if you see in the pic below, the image starts to go off the screen from left to right on the top of the screen ( you can see the partial image on the ceiling). When I did the test pattern everything on the sides and bottom was fine, but that top line just kind of rose up to the right. Any suggestions about this?

Yer dont put lens cover on! you dont need to!
post #5586 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

Yer dont put lens cover on! you dont need to!

Guess I'm just being a little overly cautious with my new toy... I'm assuming a microfiber cloth is fine for wiping the screen?

Forgot to mention above, I'm also pleasantly surprised by the volume the internal speakers put out. Works well for setting up a movie outside at night.

Probably going to do the 1.06 update tonight as I've confirmed all the inputs work just fine. Handshaking is pretty slow though...

post #5587 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
^^
I am curious myself also on how to clean my Elite screen. What do folks here use to clean the screen. Mine has been mounted there for yrs without being touched.
post #5588 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am looking at possibly getting this projector for a 106" screen. Only concern is having to use zoom all at 1.25x. What is the downside of zoom? I am looking at 11' throw from lens to screen with a viewing distance of 12'
post #5589 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've noticed zero difference in PQ using zoom at various amounts including max.

post #5590 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If you have the ability to update the firmware to 106 there should be a HDMI handshake improvement. Have you checked the cables from your other sources to the 1522. Redmere cables might help.
30' is a long run for regular HDMI cables.

I'll go ahead and update the firmware tonight and see if it changes anything. I bought a longer cable with plans on running it under the house but got lazy. I could probably cut it down to 20'. If the firmware doesn't help, then I'll try a shorter cable to see if it makes a difference.
post #5591 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
I ran 30' cheap $14 Aurum cable from a Amazon and it is fine.
post #5592 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^

3d and everything works on it no problem? Did you run it through the walls? if yes to both, thats good news as the redmere 30ft cables seem to be 3x the price of that one.
post #5593 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Hey y'all. I'm new to projectors and this one caught my eye. What fps/hz is this projector able to play games at? My current monitor which is a benq x2420T is 120hz and love the smoothness. Can I expect the same from this projector?
post #5594 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose4540 View Post

3d and everything works on it no problem? Did you run it through the walls? if yes to both, thats good news as the redmere 30ft cables seem to be 3x the price of that one.
Yeap, everything works and yes, I ran it thru wall up to attic and down to pj. I bought this cheap cable and tried it first to make sure it work before wasting my time running thru walls. I suggest you do the same. I then bought a few more short 6' one for all of my source connections. They all work beautifully and the cable itself look good and very well built. No need to spend more on HDMI cable.
post #5595 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Yeap, everything works and yes, I ran it thru wall up to attic and down to pj. I bought this cheap cable and tried it first to make sure it work before wasting my time running thru walls. I suggest you do the same. I then bought a few more short 6' one for all of my source connections. They all work beautifully and the cable itself look good and very well built.

Which cables did you buy from Amazon?
post #5596 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandawil View Post

Hey Jason...this splitter may be a solution for me. I am looking to get this PJ (upgrade from my 7 yr old Panasonic 900u) but my receiver is older as well (HDMI 1.1) and will only pass 1080i and doubt it would pass through 3D. My thought was to run HDMI out from my PS3 into this splitter and send one straight to the w1070 and the other into my receiver. I still need HDMI to the receiver since it is the only way to get HD audio via LPCM 5.1. I would lose that if I used the optical out. Everything I have read in the past said a splitter would not work for this though.

Thoughts...

Willing to do the same thing...(currently running audio through optical out so no HD audio..)

Hope someone confirms if this splitter is capable of the above..
post #5597 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristenen View Post

Which cables did you buy from Amazon?
This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JKH4FQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1374084362&sr=8-2&pi=SL75
post #5598 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quick question: which 3D format is better: OU or SBS? Thanks.
anyone? Thanks.
post #5599 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:

anyone? Thanks.

http://www.svconline.com/proav/3d-technology_when-hdmi-meets-3d-video/
post #5600 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the article.
post #5601 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Can't speak specifically to your system but I know when I try to run a signal with 3D to my receiver it locks up and won't decode the audio either. In my case a splitter won't work so I am content with the PS3's optical out (No HD) until 4K standards are locked in and I upgrade my receiver. I seriously doubt the benefit of HD audio in 95% of consumer setups anyway.

That's what I was afraid of. In my case I definitely can tell the difference. I spent a good amount of $$ on my audio including speakers, receiver, and acoustic treatment so to step down to optical and lossy audio protocols is out of the question. Looks like I'll follow the advise of other another AVS contributor and will be getting this Blu-Ray player with dual HDMI out. It's made specifically to send audio out one HDMI and video out the other. Good price as well. Also will play FLAC files so that's a nice bonus.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT500-Integrated-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00752R4QO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=14WPAUAZQ5FZ2&coliid=I192LHZES5HCQZ

It's definitely cheaper than plunking down another $1500 for a good AVR.

post #5602 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM

I'm also wondering if anyone also gets a trapezoid projection when the projector is on without any source feed. This is only obvious during dark scenes during playback. It that a light leakage from the projector?

Also, anyone have their menu buttons not aligned correctly with the screen? Just like the one pictured below? You can also see the "trapezoid" light leak if you follow down the source menu.

Totally new at setting up a projector and I'm curious if I did something wrong? The PJ is currently sitting inside my closet waiting to be mounted. It's about 13 feet away from the wall.
post #5603 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I agree, I'll be doing the same thing. Thanks for the link, I had been searching around for good dual out options.

For those of you using 3d on the Benq, From reading Art's reviews on all these 3d PJs, I tend to see lots of comments like "it could be brighter in 3d...etc"

I'll be installing this in a living room set up, that has some ambient light during the day, but I'd really only use the 3d at night for movies where the room will be pretty much pitch black, if I'm projecting from 11ft back to a 110in screen, will the benq be plenty bright? I'm just wondering as I know if its not plenty bright brand new, in 1000 hours it'll definitely not be bright enough.
post #5604 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose4540 View Post

I agree, I'll be doing the same thing. Thanks for the link, I had been searching around for good dual out options.

For those of you using 3d on the Benq, From reading Art's reviews on all these 3d PJs, I tend to see lots of comments like "it could be brighter in 3d...etc"

I'll be installing this in a living room set up, that has some ambient light during the day, but I'd really only use the 3d at night for movies where the room will be pretty much pitch black, if I'm projecting from 11ft back to a 110in screen, will the benq be plenty bright? I'm just wondering as I know if its not plenty bright brand new, in 1000 hours it'll definitely not be bright enough.

I have only tried 3D in my basement, that's quite dark at night, but do have white ceilings and some doors, close to the
projector, that reflect a fair bit.......no issue with brightness, this lil unit is a powerhouse in that regard. I think the issues
you read about, are when people use this projo with a fair amount of ambient light.........doesn't matter, 2D or 3D, the less
light, the better the image, always.
post #5605 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIA View Post

I have only tried 3D in my basement, that's quite dark at night, but do have white ceilings and some doors, close to the
projector, that reflect a fair bit.......no issue with brightness, this lil unit is a powerhouse in that regard. I think the issues
you read about, are when people use this projo with a fair amount of ambient light.........doesn't matter, 2D or 3D, the less
light, the better the image, always.

This thing just sounds like a light cannon really. I'll be going from my 7 yr. old Panasonic PT-AE900u which has been a faithful reliable projector, but at 1100 lumens just didn't do well with any ambient light in my theater room. Fortunately it is 100% light controlled. I can just imagine what the w1070 will look like in comparison.....even 3D will look brighter by comparison I'm sure.

Now just have to convince the wife.....but leaning more toward begging for forgiveness as opposed to asking permission. After-all....it's for the kids rolleyes.gif

post #5606 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After-all....it's for the kids rolleyes.gif
I bought it for my kids but find myself enjoy it quite a lot.
post #5607 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:

That's what I was afraid of. In my case I definitely can tell the difference. I spent a good amount of $$ on my audio including speakers, receiver, and acoustic treatment so to step down to optical and lossy audio protocols is out of the question. Looks like I'll follow the advise of other another AVS contributor and will be getting this Blu-Ray player with dual HDMI out. It's made specifically to send audio out one HDMI and video out the other. Good price as well. Also will play FLAC files so that's a nice bonus.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT500-Integrated-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00752R4QO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=14WPAUAZQ5FZ2&coliid=I192LHZES5HCQZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Can't speak specifically to your system but I know when I try to run a signal with 3D to my receiver it locks up and won't decode the audio either. In my case a splitter won't work so I am content with the PS3's optical out (No HD) until 4K standards are locked in and I upgrade my receiver. I seriously doubt the benefit of HD audio in 95% of consumer setups anyway.
Quote:

I'm in the other 5% also~ HD audio was a huge upgrade....
post #5608 of 9677 Old 07-17-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi, guy,s mental block here have downloaded the firmware upgrade 1.06 and is under the DlP composer folder within the x86 files,where it should be my question is this under the DLP folder have 16 items how do we open the composer tool??? Where is the file do not see it.

Thanks

Ralph
post #5609 of 9677 Old 07-18-2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Quick question: which 3D format is better: OU or SBS? Thanks.

OU is better than SBS. Frame packing beats out OU/SBS. Frame packing is only enabled for Blu-Ray discs or isos. I currently use a HD media player and play BD50 iso's on it and frame packing works.
Quote:

^^

I'm currently using a 50' Aurum cable and I have issues with the cable latching onto the HDMI input connector on the projector. It's very weak. This is definitely an issue that I feel BenQ needs to improve for their next revision. I see a lot of complaints with loose HDMI connections with the W1070. Other than that, when I get a firm connection from the aurum cable, it works without any issues.
post #5610 of 9677 Old 07-18-2013, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohus View Post

OU is better than SBS. Frame packing beats out OU/SBS. Frame packing is only enabled for Blu-Ray discs or isos. I currently use a HD media player and play BD50 iso's on it and frame packing works.
I'm currently using a 50' Aurum cable and I have issues with the cable latching onto the HDMI input connector on the projector. It's very weak. This is definitely an issue that I feel BenQ needs to improve for their next revision. I see a lot of complaints with loose HDMI connections with the W1070. Other than that, when I get a firm connection from the aurum cable, it works without any issues.

I suggest that anyone having issues with HDMI connections get a few Monoprice port savers to solve the the loose connections with the 1070.

They have many options.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=port+saver
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page