BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 199 - AVS Forum
First ... 197  198  199 200  201  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
theskins44's Avatar theskins44 03:50 AM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

The ultra light looks exactly the same as sainsonic. Do you have sainsonic to compare?
no I don't,but have read the sainsonics do a poor job with red flash,3dtv ultralites do a good job on this.
I think for the price around $20 vs $85 for benq's(not on your list, I know) the 3dtv win hands down
the benq's do a little better job(very little) and are little more comfortable over a 2hr plus sitting (my eyes get a bit sore during some long 3d movies,less so with benq's) . IMO

kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 04:16 AM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskins44 View Post

Quote:

The ultra light looks exactly the same as sainsonic. Do you have sainsonic to compare?
no I don't,but have read the sainsonics do a poor job with red flash,3dtv ultralites do a good job on this.
I think for the price around $20 vs $85 for benq's(not on your list, I know) the 3dtv win hands down
the benq's do a little better job(very little) and are little more comfortable over a 2hr plus sitting (my eyes get a bit sore during some long 3d movies,less so with benq's) . IMO

I have the Sainsonics and find them fantastic. No problems at all. I wonder if there are different 'varieties' of Sainsonics. These are the ones I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0081JPABQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rwestley's Avatar rwestley 08:11 AM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I have the Sainsonics and find them fantastic. No problems at all. I wonder if there are different 'varieties' of Sainsonics. These are the ones I have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0081JPABQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the same ones I and others have. The work ok but do not completely block the red flash. I have compared many brands and the 3DTV, 3DActive and Benq's are the best with red flash blocking. If you compare these to the Sansonic glasses you will notice better blacks because of the better red flash blocking. I use the Sansonic for guests since they sync very well but I use the others for myself.
kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 08:24 AM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Quote:

These are the same ones I and others have. The work ok but do not completely block the red flash. I have compared many brands and the 3DTV, 3DActive and Benq's are the best with red flash blocking. If you compare these to the Sansonic glasses you will notice better blacks because of the better red flash blocking. I use the Sansonic for guests since they sync very well but I use the others for myself.

Thanks - this is interesting. I have never been a huge fan of 3D ... until I got this PJ. I just bought one pair of the Sainsonics to evaluate the 3D, but I am so impressed now by the 3D that I will probably buy more glasses. Now I know how good the 3D is I am happy to spend more for better quality glasses. Not sure I can get the 3DTV here in the UK but I can probably get the BenQ.

aohus's Avatar aohus 10:20 AM 08-14-2013
so after 2nd replacement i have received the perfect benq w1070. the last 2 were suffering from rattling sounds. BenQ's customer service was pretty good with responding to emails. the replacement was manufactured july 2013, and came with 1.06 fw.
bighvy76's Avatar bighvy76 11:06 AM 08-14-2013
Where do u find the manufacturing date?
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 11:36 AM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighvy76 View Post

Where do u find the manufacturing date?

The manufacture date and hardware revision is on the box.
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 11:39 AM 08-14-2013
Quote:

Thanks - this is interesting. I have never been a huge fan of 3D ... until I got this PJ. I just bought one pair of the Sainsonics to evaluate the 3D, but I am so impressed now by the 3D that I will probably buy more glasses. Now I know how good the 3D is I am happy to spend more for better quality glasses. Not sure I can get the 3DTV here in the UK but I can probably get the BenQ.

Dimensional Optics will ship their Active 3D DLP glasses to the UK. They are great.

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/
bighvy76's Avatar bighvy76 12:11 PM 08-14-2013

So these work good?
utee05's Avatar utee05 01:12 PM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Here ya go. I got the same mount in the 200 mm length. Youll need to hit the hardware store for shorter screws and some washers but otherwise it works great.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10911&cs_id=1091102&p_id=8802&seq=1&format=2

I got that mount. Any clue why you need shorter screws and washers? The ones that come with it seem to fit fine. Do you happen to have a pic of the mount attached to the projector to see if/what I am doing wrong? TIA
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 02:24 PM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighvy76 View Post

So these work good?

Yes, they work great. My favorite pair
petesvt's Avatar petesvt 02:40 PM 08-14-2013
Quote:

Yes, they work great. My favorite pair

+1
kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 02:42 PM 08-14-2013
Quote:

Quote:

Dimensional Optics will ship their Active 3D DLP glasses to the UK. They are great.

http://www.dimensionaloptics.com/

That is very kind of you - thanks!

deez's Avatar deez 05:34 PM 08-14-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

search google for benq w1070 calibration settings. I took mine from here- http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w1070/calibration.php and it looks darn good. But what do I know? lol....

I went into color settings but they all start at 50? Theres fine tuning and regular...would I add those numbers to the main or fine tune? Not sure what to do here...also, the black level is not where I was hoping it would be,,,,anyway to fix this or maybe make it better thanks.
deez's Avatar deez 05:35 PM 08-14-2013
Im using the Sainsonics from Amazon...there 30.99 a pair and work perfectly.
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 05:10 AM 08-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Im using the Sainsonics from Amazon...there 30.99 a pair and work perfectly.

If you compare them to the 3DTv and the Dimensional Optics DLP Active you will see that the Sansonic are not perfect. I have compared 5 or 6 brands and I find the Sansonic to be of lower quality in blocking red flash than at least 3 other brands.

The 3DTV ones below for about $30 each are one of the best and are so much better than the Sansonic glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376565102&sr=8-2&keywords=3d+tv+dlp+glasses

The only thing is that they are not rechargeable but that is no a problem for me. In fact, I like it better that way since the standard 2032 batteries are really cheap and easy to replace. I find this much better than having the rechargeable glasses fail during a movie. If you want rechargeable glasses consider the Dimensional Optics ones in a few posts above.
bighvy76's Avatar bighvy76 05:31 AM 08-15-2013
The 3dtv ones are not rechargeable the ones from dimensional optics are. If u care one way or the other
eah9's Avatar eah9 08:20 AM 08-15-2013
I just entered the world of large screen viewing about a week ago smile.gif I received the w1070 and got June 2013 rev 1.04. Only one issue that happened one time - A quick bright flash. Weird but never happened again.

Anyway - Very impressed with the display. Some folks say it's like having a huge LED/LCD display and they are right. It is a fantastic picture - I calibrated using http://www.avforums.com/forums/projectors/1761516-benq-w1070-reviewer-s-recommended-best-settings.html - colors are accurate and black levels are really good. Watching in the basement HT, so it's light controlled. So glad this technology has improved so much and is now affordable. No reason not to go this route. Funny how the 52" monster I moved upstairs seems tiny....all perspective I suppose.

I have the 100" Elite Cinewhite sable screen and it is excellent with this projector IMHO. I couldn't really go much bigger due to the 7'6" ceiling and just over 10' width where the screen is located.

Still have to mount it but my kids keep watching things, so I am having a tough time getting a few hours during the day to do it. Just on a temporary table for now.

Prior to buying this projector I purchased the sony s3100 bdp...so I wasn't thinking of 3D. Guess I will have to move that bdp player upstairs and get an s5100 and some glasses.....biggrin.gif

Appreciate all the experts and helpful info in this thread!
teeger's Avatar teeger 05:41 PM 08-15-2013
I think I read somewhere here that some folks have noticed a sound that has a rhythmic sound - kind of like the way crickets sound. I hear it when viewing 3D. This sound just started recently. I suspect it might be the color wheel is starting to squeak in the 3D mode. I only have approx. 50 hrs. on the projector . . . the sound is a bit loud, but I wouldn't complain IF it wasn't a problem that would a) get louder or b) cause the projector to fail. This would really suck if it died just outside of the warranty period.

Is the squeaky sound when viewing 3D an issue?

Thanks.

Ian
terminal33's Avatar terminal33 07:00 PM 08-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

I think I read somewhere here that some folks have noticed a sound that has a rhythmic sound - kind of like the way crickets sound. I hear it when viewing 3D. This sound just started recently. I suspect it might be the color wheel is starting to squeak in the 3D mode. I only have approx. 50 hrs. on the projector . . . the sound is a bit loud, but I wouldn't complain IF it wasn't a problem that would a) get louder or b) cause the projector to fail. This would really suck if it died just outside of the warranty period.

Thanks.

Ian

The sound is present for me as well during 3D. It does bother me enough to the point where I think I will exchange mine at BB since I'm still within the return period. Unfortunately they don't have them in stock near my house so I'll have to wait for it to ship to the store. mad.gif
deez's Avatar deez 09:41 PM 08-15-2013
Quote:

If you compare them to the 3DTv and the Dimensional Optics DLP Active you will see that the Sansonic are not perfect. I have compared 5 or 6 brands and I find the Sansonic to be of lower quality in blocking red flash than at least 3 other brands.

The 3DTV ones below for about $30 each are one of the best and are so much better than the Sansonic glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376565102&sr=8-2&keywords=3d+tv+dlp+glasses

The only thing is that they are not rechargeable but that is no a problem for me. In fact, I like it better that way since the standard 2032 batteries are really cheap and easy to replace. I find this much better than having the rechargeable glasses fail during a movie. If you want rechargeable glasses consider the Dimensional Optics ones in a few posts above.

Well so far I haven't ha any issues. Even wen I look away they stay synched.I sit about 1 Ft back from my 1070 which is ceiling mounted.
deez's Avatar deez 11:09 PM 08-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Can't be of much help, except to say that if there is an obvious defect (like the blue spot you describe) then just keep returning it.

When buying projectors dealing with a reputable dealer with a solid return policy is worth the few extra dollars it may cost in the initial purchase.

My third W1070 so far is perfect. (First one returned due to the focus problem, second due to a noisey fan which quickly failed.) Thank you Amazon for making the process so painless or else I may have never tried the 3rd.

It would be interesting to setup a poll to know how many receive a good projector on the first go, but I doubt many would be motivated to log-on just to give a positive review.

What exactly is the focus problem?
hotjt133's Avatar hotjt133 12:43 AM 08-16-2013
Quote:

Thanks.

Ian

I think this cricket sound is by design...

It develops over time. My first sample took 50 hours, current one took 120 hours. But now the cricket sound is very similar to the first one which I returned. I hope it is a fan bearing issue, and can be cured by some lubrication. But if it is the color wheel then we are cursed.

And the noise on mine is not just 3D mode, 2D as well.
Derek Day's Avatar Derek Day 07:52 AM 08-16-2013
Quote:

It develops over time. My first sample took 50 hours, current one took 120 hours. But now the cricket sound is very similar to the first one which I returned. I hope it is a fan bearing issue, and can be cured by some lubrication. But if it is the color wheel then we are cursed.

Is this sound loud enough that you can actually hear it over 7.1 surround sound?
farleyville's Avatar farleyville 08:00 AM 08-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Day View Post

Is this sound loud enough that you can actually hear it over 7.1 surround sound?

I have had my unit for roughly 80 hours and I do not hear any noise as reported above. When the unit is powered on, in a quiet room, there is definitely a winding up that you hear and the fan motor comes on. But I do not hear it at all while watching a movie. In fact, my Air conditioner blowing in my basement is louder than the fan on this unit. Can you hear your AC when it comes on in your house, YES, does it bother you? I assume it doesnt as you just get used to it. Same for the fan on this unit. I can't speak to the issues that they are reporting, but for my unit, the sound of the fan is NOT a problem.
Derek Day's Avatar Derek Day 08:23 AM 08-16-2013
Okay, that's kinda what I figured. This will mainly be used for football and gaming. The NFL finds it amusing to populate the rear channels with fans screaming. People who aren't used to watching football with 7.1 will often times turn around, it's semi-humorous.
kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 10:18 AM 08-16-2013
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.

Ian

On mine I get it when using Smart Eco mode. If I use Economic mode I don't get it. I haven't used 3D enough yet to be able to comment. As with yours, it took 40 to 50 hours for it to develop. I 'solved' it by switching to Economic mode.

kbarnes701's Avatar kbarnes701 10:19 AM 08-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Day View Post

Quote:

Not in mine, except in scenes that are more or less silent. And my unit is directly overhead, about 2 feet above me.

Scotty Leon's Avatar Scotty Leon 12:57 PM 08-16-2013
Any football settings you guys recommend? I have the calibration settings for movies but Football doesn't look "natural" with those settings?
jlluna's Avatar jlluna 06:13 PM 08-16-2013
Any one using the harmony one remote with this projector? i am using the harmony one remote and it wont change my projector input from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2 it just stays on the same input.
Tags: Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
First ... 197  198  199 200  201  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop