BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 9833 Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^Sweet. Thanks so much for typing this up. I will definitely do it on my H650. Question: with the discrete off button, does it turn off the pj with one click? Or does it still show an onscreen prompt asking you to click again to turn off?

It still shows the message and demand a second click. But that's easy, just put 2 power-off in the shut down sequence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 9833 Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 106
^^Okay, thanks.
post #6033 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

2) I never noticed this until I put on full field color/greyscale windows today, but there seems to be a bright section on my screen that starts at the top center of the screen and runs down the middle to about halfway down. It's noticeably brighter than the rest of the screen. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks!

You've probably considered this, but did it move as you moved from left to right? Could be a hot spot on the screen? I am projecting on a bare sheet of white sintra until I can get it painted, and mine has a noticeable bright spot in the center of the screen in bright scenes.. It moves with the viewer, which is obviously hot spotting.
post #6034 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It's not a great fit but it's the best you can do. Just wedge it in (gently). It will likely be secure enough not to fall out.

Thanks, I'll give it another whirl, it just made me a little nervous. If I like it enough I'll probably go with the silcone around it for better placement.

Yes, good plan. I find just wedging the step-up ring into the hole is fine, but it's a bit of a kludge I'd be the first to agree.

post #6035 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Got the ND2 filter on with the step-up ring (got it to fit pretty nicely) and calibrated tonight. Cut down my ftL from ~24 to ~11 (in eco mode), which is a lot easier on my eyes. I did get down to about 14 ftL without the ND2 filter, but with contrast at 34, that seems way too low, would there be any substantial impact on greyscale with contrast that low? I do notice what seems to be a bit of an improvement in black level as well. During calibration, I could not calibrate green very well in the CMS, did anyone else run into this?

I also have two other questions:

1) How often would one check the contrast setting and/or ftL during the lifetime of the lamp? Given this is literally a brand new lamp, when should I expect to see a decrease in light output and either up the contrast or lose the ND2 filter?

2) I never noticed this until I put on full field color/greyscale windows today, but there seems to be a bright section on my screen that starts at the top center of the screen and runs down the middle to about halfway down. It's noticeably brighter than the rest of the screen. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thanks!

I usually don't even try to calibrate green. Well I do, but as you say, you can fiddle with it for ever and get nowhere, so I have a quick look and if it seems to be fighting me, I leave it alone. This is on any display I have calibrated not just the w1070.

I found a significant drop-off in lamp brightness after 150 hours.  It's not a problem in any way, just less lumens (which actually suits me better anyway). I expect it to be stable now for quite some time.

I have similar issues with variable brightness across the screen - the corners are noticeably less bright than the centre, and - like you - I have a brighter area at the top of the screen down towards the centre. I can only really see these when looking at a blank screen though - on real content they are not a problem. It's a <$1,000 PJ, so we have to cut it some slack. I'd bet that others have different types of issues that we don't have too as unit-to-unit consistency will vary on inexpensive units like these. It is a great PJ, but it is an inexpensive PJ, so we have to keep that in mind I think.

CheYC likes this.
post #6036 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I usually don't even try to calibrate green. Well I do, but as you say, you can fiddle with it for ever and get nowhere, so I have a quick look and if it seems to be fighting me, I leave it alone. This is on any display I have calibrated not just the w1070.

I found a significant drop-off in lamp brightness after 150 hours.  It's not a problem in any way, just less lumens (which actually suits me better anyway). I expect it to be stable now for quite some time.

I have similar issues with variable brightness across the screen - the corners are noticeably less bright than the centre, and - like you - I have a brighter area at the top of the screen down towards the centre. I can only really see these when looking at a blank screen though - on real content they are not a problem. It's a <$1,000 PJ, so we have to cut it some slack. I'd bet that others have different types of issues that we don't have too as unit-to-unit consistency will vary on inexpensive units like these. It is a great PJ, but it is an inexpensive PJ, so we have to keep that in mind I think.

Thanks a ton. I'll just call green good then I suppose. I also don't notice this bright spot on normal content, just with the calibration windows, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something glaringly wrong. I'm certainly loving this projector so far, it looks fantastic and now quite a bit better than it did before I had it calibrated.

post #6037 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks a ton. I'll just call green good then I suppose. I also don't notice this bright spot on normal content, just with the calibration windows, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something glaringly wrong. I'm certainly loving this projector so far, it looks fantastic and now quite a bit better than it did before I had it calibrated.

On the right content, this PJ is astonishingly good. The images are pin-sharp and really pop but without being unnatural. There is a big wow factor with the right content. Where it is lacking, of course, is in its ultimate black levels, but that is to be expected at the price, and for most viewing the positive attributes are more than enough compensation. We just have to remember that it is a sub-$1,000 PJ. But what a HUGE decent-quality image it gives for about $1,500 (screen included) - starts to make big plasma and LCD screens look silly choices by comparison.

eah9 likes this.
post #6038 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:

On the right content, this PJ is astonishingly good. The images are pin-sharp and really pop but without being unnatural. There is a big wow factor with the right content. Where it is lacking, of course, is in its ultimate black levels, but that is to be expected at the price, and for most viewing the positive attributes are more than enough compensation. We just have to remember that it is a sub-$1,000 PJ. But what a HUGE decent-quality image it gives for about $1,500 (screen included) - starts to make big plasma and LCD screens look silly choices by comparison.

Had a friend over last night for the first time since getting the pj and screen. Popped in a blu-ray. His mouth dropped when I turned it on. He couldn't believe the picture. The word awesome was mentioned 5 or 6 times. It does make the tiny 60" led/lcd and plasmas look silly in comparison for a similar price. Never going back. And I haven't even tried the 3d yet but will after getting an s5100 and some glasses this next week.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #6039 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Besides my wife's 22" LED in the kitchen we do not own a tv. Years ago I would bring movies to watch on my father in-laws 55" plasma and drool. Now I can't bare to ruin a good movie by watching it on such a tiny screen. Yes, projectors do change your perspective.

Yep. The word "sick" was mentioned by my friend also biggrin.gif

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #6040 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

just for fun, here's my calibration results:

Color chart. Like I mentioned earlier, the green didn't calibrate as well as the other colors, couldn't get the hue as close as I'd like. Yellow was also slightly undersaturated. Overall though, it's pretty much perfect.

Color Temp. Pretty much dead on 6500K

Gamma. Average about 2.2

RGB Levels. Again, almost dead on at every level.

post #6041 of 9833 Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Care to share your settings?
post #6042 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 155
My w1070 calibrated out to almost perfection, it was actually shocking to see such an inexpensive unit do what many far more expensive units simply cannot do.

If their next model improves upon little else but the black level they'll have another winner.

Jason
post #6043 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

If their next model improves upon little else but the black level they'll have another winner.

Jason

They surely would. I am happy with everything else about the w1070. Image is pin-sharp; colours are superb; motion handling is great, shadow detail is superb, 3D is terrific, a full CMS is amazing at the price, etc. If they could tackle the black levels they would be onto something amazing.

I only bought the w1070 because I have no other choice, other than possibly an Epson. I can't handle more than a 9ft throw in my room, to fill a 92 inch diagonal screen. The initial attraction to me for the w1070 was the short throw, so I bought it just to get into the world of PJs. I never expected it to be nearly as good as it is. Like I say, it is just about possible I can squeeze in an Epson 5020UB but I am waiting until the end of the year now so I can see what the new models bring. 

post #6044 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

My w1070 calibrated out to almost perfection, it was actually shocking to see such an inexpensive unit do what many far more expensive units simply cannot do.

Jason

I don't know how much more can be improved with the black level without a new chipset from Texas Instrument.
I think DLP might have reached its limit with this chip.
post #6045 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Jason

I really liked how my W7000 looked for $2000, I thought it performed good for the price. Then, the W1070 for $900 performs just as good for more than half the price. I actually liked the picture the W1070 threw better
post #6046 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I don't know how much more can be improved with the black level without a new chipset from Texas Instrument.

Oh it could be improved with a redesign of the light tunnel and other various tricks, they could always add a manual iris (of course this means more $).

Jason
post #6047 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Oh it could be improved with a redesign of the light tunnel and other various tricks, they could always add a manual iris (of course this means more $).

Jason

IDK about the rest of the guys here but I’d be willing to pay quite a few extra bucks for better black levels from this PJ. It would definitely be the icing on a very nice cake.

A manual iris would be real neat for me as I don't need all those lumens anyway.

post #6048 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 10
Didn't want to start a whole new thread, figured I would add to the existing conversation...

I had one of those behemoth CRTs back in the day (Barco 801S - H/T to Curt Palme). It was a create projector for the early 2000s and did wonderful for me... DVDs looked great. Alas I had to leave the projector life when I moved overseas and stuck with standard flat panel TVs.

I have moved back to the US and am looking to buy a projector. I have a media room in my new home (sort of, 3.5 walls of one at least) and would love some advice on model/screen choice.

First off, the room details:
  • Throw distance is 154" (Prewired HDMI, power, & ceiling mount)
  • Screen Wall is 164"W x 126"H total
  • Seating distance is at ~140" and ~180" (Two tiered floor)
  • Ceiling Mount is 144" off the ground (Room has a small cathedral ceiling type bump)
  • Room has three walls. Fourth (left side) wall is a half wall (about 4' tall, a built in bar, connects to game room)
  • Some ambient light during the day with blinds closed in adjoining room, but not a lot at all. Very dark at night, almost pitch black (some light from the open area to the downstairs)

My primary use is HD Cable TV (a lot of sports), movies (Bluray, few 3D), and video gaming. I want something that will stand the test for at least a few years but at the same time am trying to keep a decent budget since I am furnishing a new home.

I have narrowed it down to the BenQ W1070 with a 120" screen. It seems like this is a great projector for the money and meets my needs. From the sites I have looked at this should be the right throw distance and seating arrangement for my room at 120".

My questions:
  • Are my calculations right, will this projector/size work? The BenQ site doesn't seem to let me alter custom distances, only optimal. Other sites seem to be in the "green zone" of sliders
  • Since there is not complete darkness, do you guys recommend a grey screen for the room since it is not 100% pitch black? Will the W1070 need it? Any recommendations on brand? Was looking at Elite.
  • Are there any issues with the 18" bump up in the cathedral type ceiling where it is mounted? (It is 18" higher then the top of the wall the screen will sit on, plus the screen will not sit directly at the top of the wall) - Do I need an extension?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate your help!

Anthony

OK, I don't have a sig... yet.
post #6049 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Take a look at Art's review on W1500. It does not have comparisons but implied the blacks are very good.

In the W1070, his words was " Indeed, compared to home theater projectors, even HT projectors in the same price range, black level is only so-so."
In the W1500, "Black levels are solid and very competitive with other projectors in the W1500's price range".

So he's more impressed with 1500 than 1070, and you would expect the black level "standard" in the $1500 level PJ would exceed $1000 level.

As I posted on the 1500 thread, the wireless HDMI, FI, quiet fans, bigger zoom are all very welcome features. The better lens (if proven) and quite fan and better blacks would worth $600 extra. Focusing issue and loud fan is my biggest complaint on the 1070
post #6050 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Color chart. Like I mentioned earlier, the green didn't calibrate as well as the other colors, couldn't get the hue as close as I'd like. Yellow was also slightly undersaturated. Overall though, it's pretty much perfect.

Color Temp. Pretty much dead on 6500K

Gamma. Average about 2.2

RGB Levels. Again, almost dead on at every level.

Is that a pro calibration or can anyone do that via the PJ?

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #6051 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Is this projector expecting a price drop anytime soon?
post #6052 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

Take a look at Art's review on W1500. It does not have comparisons but implied the blacks are very good.

In the W1070, his words was " Indeed, compared to home theater projectors, even HT projectors in the same price range, black level is only so-so."
In the W1500, "Black levels are solid and very competitive with other projectors in the W1500's price range".

So he's more impressed with 1500 than 1070, and you would expect the black level "standard" in the $1500 level PJ would exceed $1000 level.

As I posted on the 1500 thread, the wireless HDMI, FI, quiet fans, bigger zoom are all very welcome features. The better lens (if proven) and quite fan and better blacks would worth $600 extra. Focusing issue and loud fan is my biggest complaint on the 1070

It will be interesting to see if the tweaks on the 1500 really made these improvements. I would love to see the 1070 and the 1500 compared side by side. I would think that and auto iris might improve the blacks but I don't think the 1500 has one. I am wondering what else Benq might have done. As you said a better lens (If really true) and a quite fan along with wireless HDMI might be enough to justify the difference in price. I would have also loved to see a VESA port but the 1500 does not have one.
post #6053 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, so I have a problem.... So when I first got the projector I tested everything and it worked great, all HDMI inputs, 3D etc. I did the 1.06 firmware upgrade about a month ago with seemingly no problems and have been using the projector just fine in 2D. I go to put on a 3D movie tonight, and it won't play, says I need a compatible HDTV and blu-ray player... I notice in my projector info in the menu, my 3D format says "off" and in the 3D menu I only have the option for "off", "Frame Packing" "Top-Bottom" and "Side-By-Side", I tried switching these but the movie will not play an dit won't let me leave this incompatible warning screen... Any advice??

post #6054 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:

It was actually Bill Livolsi at Projector Central who performed the reviews.

Appologies. I forgot to look for the author. But now checked again, these 2 reviews were conducted by the same person, so there is still value in comparison. In addition, as time goes by, technology improves and standard should increase, so if he's more impressed with the later model, I do hope there is indeed improvement in blacks.

ps. I will in no way to sell my 1070 for pennies, not from my dead cold hands ...
post #6055 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Is that a pro calibration or can anyone do that via the PJ?

I did this at home using HCFR and an iD3 Pro. Anyone can do that assuming they have the right equipment.

post #6056 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
Can you please share your setting?
post #6057 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, so I have a problem.... So when I first got the projector I tested everything and it worked great, all HDMI inputs, 3D etc. I did the 1.06 firmware upgrade about a month ago with seemingly no problems and have been using the projector just fine in 2D. I go to put on a 3D movie tonight, and it won't play, says I need a compatible HDTV and blu-ray player... I notice in my projector info in the menu, my 3D format says "off" and in the 3D menu I only have the option for "off", "Frame Packing" "Top-Bottom" and "Side-By-Side", I tried switching these but the movie will not play an dit won't let me leave this incompatible warning screen... Any advice??

Nevermind, I figured it out... For some reason I just had to redo my display output for my PS3... That was weird.

post #6058 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

^^
Can you please share your setting?

With an ND2 filter and a 1.1 gain 110" screen

Brightness: 52
Contrast: 55
Sharpness: 8
Gamma: 2.4
Brilliant Color: Off
Clarity Control: 0

Red Gain: 98
Green Gain: 90
Blue Gain: 90
Red Offset: 266
Green Offset: 253
Blue Offset: 260
Lamp Power: Smart Eco

Hue/Gain/Saturation

Red: 45/51/50
Green: 66/48/63
Blue: 50/50/50
Cyan: 53/51/53
Magenta: 56/52/50
Yellow: 56/46/50
eric3316 likes this.

post #6059 of 9833 Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

^^Thanks. I don't use an ND2 filter so I guest these settings might not be good.
post #6060 of 9833 Old 08-23-2013, 03:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

IDK about the rest of the guys here but I’d be willing to pay quite a few extra bucks for better black levels from this PJ. It would definitely be the icing on a very nice cake.

A manual iris would be real neat for me as I don't need all those lumens anyway.

Most definately. I was VERY disappointed to see that the new mid-level W1500 has the same contrast spec and likely the same black level performance as the W1070. (Encouraged though that it maintains and improves upon the W1070's shortish throw ratio.)
Would gladly pay the extra $600 for a significant black level drop rather than gimicky frame interpolation and wireless convenience (which Projector Central reports as degrading image quality).

+1

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page