BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr2 View Post

There is a red hue from the red synchronization flash.

Which glasses are you using? I didn't notice a red hue with ZD201, BenQ D3 or the other cheapo ebay that I bought, even though these were a bit darker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

Which glasses are you using? I didn't notice a red hue with ZD201, BenQ D3 or the other cheapo ebay that I bought, even though these were a bit darker.

The red hue, of course, goes away when the glasses are on.... Mostly. There is a hint of it in pure black if you're looking really really really hard. I have the BenQ glasses.
post #603 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 10
I like this pj specs, only fear about the noise level, even in ECO mode.
Is it really that loud? I use an acer 5360 in eco mode, and noise is just acceptable,
i don't want any louder projector in my room even if the price is very good.
post #604 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM

I have 2 questions for W1070 owners:
  1. How is the black level in both Eco and Normal modes when you don't have any ambient light in the room?
  2. Can you see any rainbows (i.e. RBE)?
Thanks!
post #605 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 04:02 PM

Liked: 11
It may be too early still, but is anyone moving to this projector from a W1000??

If so, could you give a quick note on the relative black levels? That was my only complaint (and to me it's a minor complaint), about the W1000. However my W1000 recently failed, so I'm thinking about getting this projector as a replacement.

Thanks.
post #606 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart242 View Post

The red hue was noticed while in 3d mode with no glasses on. With the optoma HD33 there was no change in hue or color when in 3D mode. That is why I just wanted to make sure I am not the only one experiencing it.

I am a noob to projectors so take my words with a grain of salt. I am going to keep keep the w1070 only because ncix wont take it back and it creates a larger image than the optoma HD 33 from my viewing distance. The noise is big issue for me and the optoma hd 33 was acceptable, however I feel the w1070 is way to loud even in eco mode. I find the blacks much worse with the w1070 vs the HD 33, the image is way to bright imo. This might be changed with calibration.... not sure though. All in all the optoma is a much better projector imo and I would definitely go that route if you are sitting 12' or further back.
post #607 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM

My new ND4 filter comes in today... smile.gif
post #608 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 PM

I'm aware. I have a high gain screen and the overall brightness is simply too high on eco mode.
post #609 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 View Post

All in all the optoma is a much better projector imo and I would definitely go that route if you are sitting 12' or further back.

It better be a much better projector.. it's 50% more expensive!
post #610 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Liked: 15
I 'mmm Back...

OK Got the HDMI Cables and I still have no Color or tint control on my BenQ WM516.

Called BenQ tech and was told " Color level and tint control is only used with ANALOG inputs like Composite or S-video."

I as also told the W1070 works the same way that all the BenQ projectors work this way.

I was then told to use the 3D color controls BUT you have to adjust something like 5/6 colors one at a time...

He also told me for cable of DVD play back in 3D I had to use S-Video, BUT could use HDMI from a computer..go figure...

So the projector is a go back as unacceptable. (I am aware the W1070 plays 3d Better BUT:

So I ask you new owners to confirm this of refute it.

DO you have color level and tint control watching programs from a HDMI from a cable box of Blu-Ray and from your computers HDMI input with User 1 or 2 settings??

I when though this 7 years ago trying different projectors to find my old HP what WOULD allow color level and tint controls playing off my cable box and DVDs..

Color and tint control IT IS A DEAL BREAKER FOR ME.

Rich

post #611 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

I 'mmm Back...
OK Got the HDMI Cables and I still have no Color or tint control on my BenQ WM516.
Called BenQ tech and was told " Color level and tint control is only used with ANALOG inputs like Composite or S-video."
I as also told the W1070 works the same way that all the BenQ projectors work this way.
I was then told to use the 3D color controls BUT you have to adjust something like 5/6 colors one at a time...
He also told me for cable of DVD play back in 3D I had to use S-Video, BUT could use HDMI from a computer..go figure...
So the projector is a go back as unacceptable. (I am aware the W1070 plays 3d Better BUT:
So I ask you new owners to confirm this of refute it.
DO you have color level and tint control watching programs from a HDMI from a cable box of Blu-Ray and from your computers HDMI input with User 1 or 2 settings??
I when though this 7 years ago trying different projectors to find my old HP what WOULD allow color level and tint controls playing off my cable box and DVDs..
Color and tint control IT IS A DEAL BREAKER FOR ME.
Rich

lol u never quit do u.
post #612 of 9642 Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Just wanted to say, I overheated my projector somehow today, not sure what happened it had barely been on when the lamp light kept blinking red. I thought I might have to return it, but eventually it re-started and is fine now. I guess the overheating check really forces you to keep it cool. I'm running on eco mode and watch quite a bit (I love it!). anyway it's all good now

love this little bugger

Can't wait to get my 3d glasses and snug in with my g/f for some movie marathon action. I'm going to try painting my wall silvery to see if I can fix the blacks a bit more, they're good but not great. You get used to the dimness on eco mode after a while, and I only watch it at night. ok, from the evening on..ok, sorry, one last time, as soon as I get home from work and I'm eating dinner and watching some vids. love it!!! I'm back up to 16:9 aspect ratio for the most part, changing res is not so bad, I watch more HDTV shows than movies during the week.
post #613 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 AM

Again I am just doing what many others are doing, comparing the W1070 against another projector, in my case a BenQ WM516.

As I am planing on returning the WM516 now due to its very poor 3D play back (480...ugh) I really need to know if I even want the W1070.

IF the tech was right and the W1070 treats the color level and tint controls the same way as does the WM516, then I will be looking at another brand.

Funny how these simple questions go unanswered.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall12 View Post

lol u never quit do u.

post #614 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Seeing the 1070 has an isf menu there is no need for tint and colour controls as the isf menu will perfect this. I cannot remember any projector I had where color and tint controls worked on anything only composite and s-video. I personally dont need the color and tint with an isf menu .

Quote:

Again I am just doing what many others are doing, comparing the W1070 against another projector, in my case a BenQ WM516.
As I am planing on returning the WM516 now due to its very poor 3D play back (480...ugh) I really need to know if I even want the W1070.
IF the tech was right and the W1070 treats the color level and tint controls the same way as does the WM516, then I will be looking at another brand.
Funny how these simple questions go unanswered.
Rich
post #615 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 04:11 AM

What is a ISF menu??

Did some research and yes that seems nice.

BUT I still see a few shows that I want to quickly adjust their color levels and some i would like to tweak their tint...

Ruining such a calibration seems overly long and hard, the http://www.imagingscience.com/ offers a DVD and lesson on using it.

And even if the system is calibrated to their DVD there is still enough changes from TV show to movie to DVD to Blu_Ray DVD ETC to see some differences and want to be able to adjust things.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

Seeing the 1070 has an isf menu there is no need for tint and colour controls as the isf menu will perfect this. I cannot remember any projector I had where color and tint controls worked on anything only composite and s-video. I personally dont need the color and tint with an isf menu .

post #616 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 AM

From http://www.imagingscience.com/

"Want to get an idea of what a complete ISF Calibration is all about for a token investment?

The ISF HDTV Calibration Wizard has the easiest to use and most user friendly setup disc ever created. With help from pop star, Jenna Drey, anyone can make their HDTV look significantly better and work for years longer. Pop star Jenna Drey walks you through the steps. Only $29.95 and about 15 minutes later you won't believe how great your TV looks.

This simple $29.95 DVD will definitely improve your HDTV.

Try it - then imagine what a trained professional with $10,000 of test equipment can do!"

So more money and time doing a calibration that will still not match every input.

post #617 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 AM

" I cannot remember any projector I had where color and tint controls worked on anything only composite and s-video."

Now that is interesting info, and even thou my 7 year old HP did let me adjust Color Level and Tint on Component Video, (I am sure it did/does not have a ISF) either they no long do have working color and tint controls due to the ISF Menu, then I guess hunting for another projector is a waste of time.

Out of the box the BenQ WM516 has too much color....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

post #618 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 04:38 AM

Another thing I am running into is how HDMI overrides all other outputs...

I find if i plug in a HDMI Cable in I lose all other digital outputs, I plugged a HDMI cable into my video card and it overrode my monitor and deferred to my projector cutting it out .

I just found the same thing with my cable box, my TV is fed by Component Video and when I turned it on had no picture or sound until I disconnected the soon to be dammed HDMI cable.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS BEHAVIOR.

I want all my outputs active...

post #619 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 AM

Looking if somebody had a side by side 3d experience of BenQ W1070 versus BenQ w7000
post #620 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:

I find if i plug in a HDMI Cable in I lose all other digital outputs, I plugged a HDMI cable into my video card and it overrode my monitor and deferred to my projector cutting it out .
I just found the same thing with my cable box, my TV is fed by Component Video and when I turned it on had no picture or sound until I disconnected the soon to be dammed HDMI cable.

This is very confusing. Viewers of this thread will think that you are talking about the W1070 including me until I read all previous posts I would think that all these problems you refer to are for the W1070. I believe this projector has enough issues on its own and adding the issues of your model isn;t fair. Please if you make any observations about your projector please mention the model everytime in every post so people won't get confused. smile.gif
post #621 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 AM

I have been very careful to say WM516 when I talk about projector behavior.

Non projector things like the HDMI I don't think need IDing...

I bought and ran HDMI cables to clean up problems with the WM516, and found a side effect I did not expect, IE the HDMI taking over control of outputs.

This behavior will happen with any projector as it over-road my computer's video output to the WM516 and then my cable box's out puts, both were set up with HDMI to feed my projector.

I did not see that coming and so reported it.

I will now see if I run the HDMI thought switches will let me unlock this override and let other outputs work.

I am kind of wondering is it a electronic or machcanial switch that cuts out the other outputs? Like stereo headphones that switch off speakers...if so then a switcher will not stop this action.

And as it has been said all new projectors now have ISF again it seems to cover all projectors.

post #622 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 AM

So I am asking now is this true: Does all modern projectors have no color and tint control???

Look: I have only owned three projectors so far, a In focus X1 that had no controls and was dim, then a HP vp6320, which had color and tint control and is 7 years old and has a failing lamp, and now the WM516.

ALL my TVs including a DLP Mitsubishi WD 52628 projector TV (7 years old) and my wife's Sony 50 inch LCD (about 4/5 years old) have color level and tint controls, so why the heck would a projector NOT have these controls??

My latest high end ATI video card in my computer for the first time in the past 15 years NOW has color lever and tint controls so even ATI/AMD now know you need them to adjust different programs sources. (and I have owned high level video cards in the past and this is a first for me.)

Rich

PS I am asking here as this IS THE ONLY active thread concerning BenQ projectors anywhere.

AND I am very interested in the BenQ W1070.

post #623 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 07:30 AM

Ok, setup my projector last night and here are my thoughts. I used an old pull down screen from work that was 6' wide ( didnt measure diagonal ). I connected to a ps3, watched 2 movies ( watchment and avengers 3d) and played COD black ops II. I used the out of box settings since this is a temp setup. I did try both eco and normal lamps modes and flip through the pre-set pictures modes.

first COD, black ops II multiplayer online, I went 38:14 k/d on my first game, I am ussually a 1:1 kd player, so the input lag is much better than my 55" sony lcd tv in game mode, that was pretty consistent through the 10 or so games I played in different lobbys. I am PSYCHED. playing in 3d multiplayer was smooth and vivid, I am not sure I will play that way all the time, but its a must try, have to log some more time, it will take a little while to get used to...

- saisonic 144hz ebay glasses work fine for 3D, very vivid and in normal mode plenty bright. I dont have benqs to compare to but am happy with these for now, although I do wish the lenses were bigger. There is a button on the top right and you have to click through a few times to get to 144hz then they lock in. Didnt really lose the signal at all once working.
- 3d no flickering at all, 3d was better than anything I have seen at the theatres ( I live near an IMAX, in fact have my hobbit tix for tonight!)
- I didnt find this to be a light cannon or anything, on the old crappy screen images were bright in hd and 3d and 720p ps3 gaming. I wont be getting a grey screen or anything.
- black levels were fine, I definately wouldnt call them inky, but I dont have much to compare too. with the lights off in the room I could definately make out the difference between the screen and true dark, but once movies were playing it wasnt noticable or distracting. Looking at the screen itself, the characters black hair etc, it looked really black, even inky, so not really sure how to judge this.
- I didnt see any RBE, even when looking for it, but I am not particularly sensitive.
- fan was loud, but because this is temp setup, it was on a table less than a foot from me. have to see once its mounted how it is.
- did notice the red flash until the glasses got synced, if you are seeing that I think you are on the wrong frequency for the glasses.

Overall I am psyched, I got the great deal from ncix. I will be logging tons of hours on this thing and cant wait for my screen to arrive so I can really setup the home theatre. SWMBO was very annoyed when I spent the money, and took it all back when I played a couple minutes of movies for her and she is used to watching our 60" Sony LCOS XBR.

hope this helps you all, let me know if you have more questions. I wont get a chance to watch to much tonight 6:30 Hobbit showing smile.gif

ps, anyone on the Boston area want to buy a 60" 3LCD Sony projection smile.gif
post #624 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 07:45 AM

I can't believe my first post is asking you to refrain talking about your projector in the W1070 thread. It is very annoying reading peoples first impressions of the W1070 with your garbage mixed in.

I am looking forward to purchasing this pj next year. Hopefully the bulb will perform.
Quote:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #625 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM

And I am getting sick and tired from people whom want to stop my quest to learn about the BenQ W1070 vs other projectors and setting them up and using them.

I too plan on buying a W1070, or was until I learn about some of its lacks and flaws. ( It only has 2000L VS 2800 L in my WM516) Still considering it but I need to consider other makes and models, so IF I have to pay a little more to get the features I want, then I want to learn of them when compared to the W1070.

I keep asking the same questions, does or does not the W1070 have color and tint controls locked out in all but composite and s-video inputs??

AS I can not pick one up at Fry's Electronics and see for my self I am trying to learn all I can and color control is a major part of a systems function to me.

I rather NOT bring one home and then return it used because people here is unwilling to help me figure out if this is the projector for me.

I thought that was why your here, not just to praise it to heaven and not look at any limitations and flaws.

Good God the guy above my post talked about how he hooked his up to his ps3, then compared the W1070 to his 55" sony lcd tv then gave a report on saisonic 144hz ebay glasses.

You did not tell him to only talk about the W1070....

I found that HDMI locks out other outputs and reported that, and ask if other found this happening to their hookup with a W1070 (and other equipment)

I keep learning alot about projectors here, and want to learn more.

post #626 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

1) Do you find this projector brighter than the Acer or did you have a filter for that as well?
2) How does the fan noise compare to the Acer, basic Eco mode to Eco mode?

1. It's brighter than the Acer, especially in Eco mode. Standard mode is not far apart. I did not use a filter with the Acer.
2. Fan noise is higher overall, but not especially so. On standard mode, I'd say it's louder but the pitch is less annoying. On eco, the Acer was noticeably, but not significantly, quieter.
post #627 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 AM

And another comparison with another make and model of projector.

I really do NOT feel I am out of line in my questions..

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr2 View Post

1. It's brighter than the Acer, especially in Eco mode. Standard mode is not far apart. I did not use a filter with the Acer.
2. Fan noise is higher overall, but not especially so. On standard mode, I'd say it's louder but the pitch is less annoying. On eco, the Acer was noticeably, but not significantly, quieter.

post #628 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 10:17 AM

Thank you, awest74, and will order the 144hz ebay glasses now. Have one more question. My 3D movies are sbs 720p mkv files stored in an external drive connected to a 3D tv via usb. How to watch the 3D 720p sbs movies on the W1070 which only supports sbs at 1080i50/60? Do I need a media player like the WDTV Live that can output 1080i50/60?
post #629 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:

And another comparison with another make and model of projector.
I really do NOT feel I am out of line in my questions..
Rich

I'm sorry but if you bought the MW516 projector over the w1070 you made a mistake, why would you buy a 1280 x 800 projector instead of a 1080p projector? You say you did it for the brightness? So you bought a projector with a much lower Res more light output? For a home theater room imo that was a mistake.

Now would you please listen to the members in here and stop posting about your projector, obviously you are just confusing people and annoying them.
post #630 of 9642 Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM

The W1070 is not for sale here in the USA.

As I stated earlier the WM516 was to be a fill-in until I can get the W1070.

At first look it seemed I might get by with it. And it is nice and bright. Has great color adn great blacks and plays nice with my computer as well as my cable service. BUT...

BUT Now that I have tried the 3D part of it it is junk. S-video is not watchable even in 3D.

So it goes back under a nice return policy.

NOW the $64,000 is what will I want to replace it with.

So I am now trying to figure out if that will be the W1070.

IT reads like a good possibility IF someone would try different inputs and see if the color and tint controls will work with a input from RGB to YCbCr, other than HDMI??

What is so hard to understand??

Rich

PS One problem is that even BenQ makes dozens of projectors, and so do most of the other projector makers..so I was hoping to get a better idea if the W1070 would work or if there is something just a little better..from you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifer129 View Post

I'm sorry but if you bought the MW516 projector over the w1070 you made a mistake, why would you buy a 1280 x 800 projector instead of a 1080p projector? You say you did it for the brightness? So you bought a projector with a much lower Res more light output? For a home theater room imo that was a mistake.
Now would you please listen to the members in here and stop posting about your projector, obviously you are just confusing people and annoying them.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page