BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6751 of 9994 Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by number17 View Post

I've had the W1070 for a couple months now so let me chime in with my quick 2 cents on this PJ.

This is my first PJ, but before I even get to how it works, this was actually the center piece of a home theatre room project that we had for the summer when we finished the basement. My wife and I decided to have a bar / home theatre room when we needed mroe space and finished the basement, and it was tons of fun designing the room, setting things up, doing the homework on projectors, screen, getting the wires run, etc etc ... and for the 2 months we've had the HT room we've spent a lot of time enjoying movies down there. It's been a fun project I wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

Anyways, on to projector. When we wanted a HT room I wanted a big screen for watching movie and games (big hockey fan here ... and hockey actually turns out to be very demanding for PJ ... will get to that) so we decided to get a projector.

After doing lots of home work it came down to between the Optomoa HD25 and BenQ W1070. It came down to the BenQ went on sale first and I decided to go with it smile.gif

The BenQ has short throws (and then the W1080ST has even shorter throw) which is not a problem if you plan your room around it, but if you are replacing an existing PJ with it and you already ran your cables, it can be a problem. OTOH when it comes time to replace my W1070, I probably have to run the cables back too ...

The PJ is easy enough to mount. I got myself a ceiling mount and needed to install the 6" extension to hang the PJ because I have an ceiling air pipe that I needed to clear to the left, and even when I adjusted the vertical shift to the max, I still can't clear it completely.

Once installed the white projector is somewhat hidden in my white ceiling which is good. The vertical shift does make it easy to 'map' the picture on my screen, so that I don't have to be 100% accurate when mounting my screen.

Since it is my first PJ, I initially planned on a 90" screen. My biggest TV up to this point is 57" only, so I thought 90" would be big enough for my sitting position (10' from the screen) ... turns out it is not. I eventually went for maximum zoom from my mounting position and go for a 100" screen. If I could do it all over again, I would probably go for an even bigger screen ... I got columns on the sides which limit how big I can go (I have a fixed screen) but I'd go 110" ... 100" is still a good size but bigger is always better.

The PJ is easy enough to setup, and once setup I put a few movies on to try - X-men, Hugo, Avatar.

The BenQ completely changed my view on projectors. I used to think PJ's give you size but you sacrifice on sharpness, clarity. Not the case at all. At 100", the W1070 is still very, very sharp. The combination of size and sharpness give you the big theatre feeling ... the colour doesn't "pop" as some TV sets may do, but it is very natural and very accurate after calibration. Of the preset modes, the "Dynamic" mode is completely useless (why even bother with this mode?) but movie is pretty close right out of the box. I calibrated based on the settings I find on this site and the colour, especially the skin tone looks amazing.

The PJ is very bright even when I leave the lights on in my HT room (to a point I'm getting a ND filter), but it's the contrast that isn't the BenQ's strongest suite (the same goes for all projectors in this price range though). Toying with calibration discs, I can't get the black to a dark enough level and still maintain the details. The black is more like dark grey.

The "Smart econ' mode somehow fixes it, and it is supposed to extend the life of the lamp as well, but it introduces other problems - I see the colours are off sometimes with Smart-Econ ... worse, the contrast quickly flickers changing from bright scene to dark scene and after trying that for a couple hours I switched back to "Econ"

3D looks nice. If there' anything to nitpick I'd complain the XBR LED's at my friend's place show more depth (more "3D") than the BenQ. But his TV doesn't even compare to mine in terms of smoothness and cross-talk ... there is no cross-talk at all, motion is extremely soft, and the 144Hz active glasses doesn't give me a headache after watching a 2 hours long movie, the same cannot be said of his 3D TV. I think 3D is a gimmick, but if one must get 3D then PJ is the way to do it.

Watching TV, the PJ does a decent job with SD content too. When it comes to watching sports, I'd admit without video processing of "fast action" found on more expensive PJ (or TVs) it is a little lacking. Watching hockey, compare to my 6 years old 120Hz LCD TV upstairs the LCD has smoother action ... however, whatever the PJ lacks in smoothness it makes up in size. I was literally jumping up and down the first time I watched NHL on my PJ and the close up shots of the players is life-size!! smile.gif

Watching hockey is when I discovered hockey is VERY demanding of the TV. There's a LOT of white's on the screen from the ice, but the details on the ice can be easily lost (white crush would make the ice look like just a white pond). I'm glad to say the W1070 handles it just fine and it's just a treat to watch hockey in my man cave

So what are the negatives of this projector? Well to start off, I think the black could be darker (or blacker) ... whatever they claim as the contrast ratio (1:20000?) ... it isn't that. It's acceptable for a PJ of this price range, but it isn't great compared to, say, a plasma of similar price (but not similar size obviously)

I also think the PJ can be quieter. Again, small projector, small fan, not too much you can do there. I don't notice it 95% of the times, but watching movies, every now and then in a really quiet scene, you CAN hear it.

If I can have my wishlist I'd also add video processing for smooth action to it ... it is not apparent until you watch sports, but you do notice it when you do, and every degradation is exaggerated on a big screen too.

My PJ Is ceiling mounted and almost directly above my head so I don't see the light bleeding out from the vents of the PJ, but otherwise it is pretty bright around the PJ. There are workarounds obviously, from placement of PJ to some kind of light cover ... not a problem for me.

And the remote is just sad ... but I use a harmony remote so not a concern.

But none of those are deal breakers. This is my first PJ but I'm pretty sure I'll always have a PJ in my home from now on ... and you can't go wrong from the perspective of bang for buck too ... think of it, I paid $900 for the PJ, $300 for the screen, for $1.2k what kind of TV will I be able to get? At most I can get a mid-tier 60" plasma while on sale (which I'm actually shopping for for my bedroom ... smile.gif) but it still won't give me as much fun watching a movie on a 100" with this kind of sharpness, colour accuracy and what is all in all a very good picture quality.
Hey, great review! It sounds like the W1500 that was released this year might be just your cup of tea. It can produce a 100" image both closer and farther away than the W1070, it has 120hz frame interpolation, nominally quieter fan and light leakage. It can also get brighter and has WHDI (wireless HDMI) included. It can product brighter images in its Econ mode than the W1070's Standard mode (which is the mode I leave it on). This leads to a quieter fan at the same brightness, brighter 3D, and better picture. Street price is right around $1500 right now. I'm tempted to get it once it comes down to the $1200 range. Wal-Mart is selling the 70" Vizio for $999 on Black Friday too. Wondering if I dare to brave the madness and get that for my second room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 9994 Old 11-15-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for those excellent pictures scottyroo. It might be worth a try to lube the fan with some high quality synthetic oil before the noise begins. It should prevent any galling of the shaft or bushing from ever happening.
post #6753 of 9994 Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

At most I can get a mid-tier 60" plasma while on sale (which I'm actually shopping for for my bedroom ... smile.gif)
Walmart has the LG60PN5000 60" plasma for $648.99
post #6754 of 9994 Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

It also doesn't help that I live at 4200 feet (1280m) altitude. I think Normal mode is a happy medium between the hush of Smart Eco and the jet engine of High Altitude mode.

Maybe that's the main cause of your problem? If you don't use high altitude mode then the fan will degrade more quickly.

In my case I don't see any fan noise difference between normal and smart. My first one started rattle from 70 hours. Second one started around similar hours, but now after several hundred hours, I do not hear much rattle at all!

Could be I've got used it. But strangely, if I go to eco blank mode (where the lamp is the lowest and the fan should be the slowest), it started to rattle. In other modes I do not notice it.
post #6755 of 9994 Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

Walmart has the LG60PN5000 60" plasma for $648.99
thanks for the heads up, but my wife insists on 3D after we got the W1070 in the basement
post #6756 of 9994 Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 62
First of all, I don't have this projector. Sorry for posting these newbie questions.
I did a test on Coderguy's calculator http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/ for a 119" screen size at 11'6" throw at 1.15x zoom. The Best Mode (Lamp Low) shown is 28.2fL, with 18fL @ 500 hrs estimated as 35% loss.

Is this "lamp low" different from full eco mode? I believe full eco is different from smart eco?
If I wanna target lower brightness (28fL is too bright. I want it being closer to 16fL) is this the correct way: low lamp mode + full eco + brightness level reduction in setting ? I've read somewhere that full eco further reduce the brightness level by ~35%, hence I set 35% loss for lamp wear previously to get 18fL.

Is W1080ST giving the more brightness than W1070 ? This is what I see from Projectorcentral calculator with both projectors having zoom at 1.00x, projecting the same image size.
post #6757 of 9994 Old 11-16-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

thanks for the heads up, but my wife insists on 3D after we got the W1070 in the basement
I was going to get a 3D 60" but passed as I don't want to watch 3D on something so small. If I want to watch 3D, it has to be in my main theater.
post #6758 of 9994 Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It would seem that a high quality computer fan of the same size would work. Is there a plug for the fan on the board.?
post #6759 of 9994 Old 11-16-2013, 01:14 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

It would seem that a high quality computer fan of the same size would work. Is there a plug for the fan on the board.?

+1

From the pictures it does look like there is a plug but even if there isn't, screwing around with graphite and oil seems like a total waste of time. Since the original poster definitely appears to have the skill to perform the task, replace the fan and move on.

Rick
post #6760 of 9994 Old 11-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys View Post

I was going to get a 3D 60" but passed as I don't want to watch 3D on something so small. If I want to watch 3D, it has to be in my main theater.
Yeah I don't disagree, but when it comes to the wife asking for 3D ... it's tough to say no smile.gif

3D is somewhat gimmicky to me to be honest ...
post #6761 of 9994 Old 11-17-2013, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Computer fans would not be designed to cope with high temperature like the bulb, even for the high quality ones. Plus you don't know whether the PWM fan will be compatible and fully regulated by the PJ.

If it were me, and after warranty expired, I could venture to drop in some synthetic 5W-40 oil for my engine (yes I still have several litres of good oil left). These oils are designed to lubricate engine cylinders on much higher temperature and pressure so they should be a much better choice than the sewing machine oil.

But that's all based on the assumption that the rattle on the exhaust fan was indeed caused by oil degradation which in turn was caused by high temperature of the bulb, not some other reasons.
post #6762 of 9994 Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

Computer fans would not be designed to cope with high temperature like the bulb, even for the high quality ones. Plus you don't know whether the PWM fan will be compatible and fully regulated by the PJ.

If it were me, and after warranty expired, I could venture to drop in some synthetic 5W-40 oil for my engine (yes I still have several litres of good oil left). These oils are designed to lubricate engine cylinders on much higher temperature and pressure so they should be a much better choice than the sewing machine oil.

But that's all based on the assumption that the rattle on the exhaust fan was indeed caused by oil degradation which in turn was caused by high temperature of the bulb, not some other reasons.

Using a few drops of high temp. synthetic sounds like a great idea.
post #6763 of 9994 Old 11-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have noticed that the fan in my w1070 is making a sort of clicking noise. Not sure how to really explain it. I assume this is what others are talking about and mentioning how lubing it would help.

I only really notice it on quiet scenes since i sit right beneath the projector. I have gotten used to it but would be nice to minimize the noise a bit.
post #6764 of 9994 Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Welcome to the Ben Q cricket club. How many hours?

Yup crickets is the exact word for the noise. I think around 100hrs. I have only really used it a few hours each day for the last month or so.
post #6765 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 02:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

I have noticed that the fan in my w1070 is making a sort of clicking noise. Not sure how to really explain it. I assume this is what others are talking about and mentioning how lubing it would help.

I only really notice it on quiet scenes since i sit right beneath the projector. I have gotten used to it but would be nice to minimize the noise a bit.

You are using Smart-Eco, right?  Switch to Eco and the noise will go away. There's no real loss by not using Smart-Eco - other than the crickets noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6766 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

According to Benq this is what Smart Eco does.

"We are proud to be the first manufacturer to offer an energy-saving technology like Smart Eco Mode, a breakthrough innovation that provides students with a richer learning experience, while helping schools reduce their impact on the environment and lower costs to meet tight budgets," said Juan Alvarez, education director at BenQ America Corp. "And with its increased contrast ratio and amazing picture quality, Smart Eco Mode proves that going 'green' doesn't have to come at the expense of performance. We look forward to demonstrating our new MX850UST with this revolutionary technology at ISTE 2011."

BenQ projectors with Smart Eco Mode automatically calculate the optimum lamp power needed for the best contrast performance. Not only does this save energy and extend lamp life — reducing replacement costs — but it also improves the viewing experience by providing a contrast ratio as high as 13,000:1 for improved detail in dark scenes, according to the company.

You will get longer lamp life and possibly better contrast.
post #6767 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

According to Benq this is what Smart Eco does.

"We are proud to be the first manufacturer to offer an energy-saving technology like Smart Eco Mode, a breakthrough innovation that provides students with a richer learning experience, while helping schools reduce their impact on the environment and lower costs to meet tight budgets," said Juan Alvarez, education director at BenQ America Corp. "And with its increased contrast ratio and amazing picture quality, Smart Eco Mode proves that going 'green' doesn't have to come at the expense of performance. We look forward to demonstrating our new MX850UST with this revolutionary technology at ISTE 2011."

BenQ projectors with Smart Eco Mode automatically calculate the optimum lamp power needed for the best contrast performance. Not only does this save energy and extend lamp life — reducing replacement costs — but it also improves the viewing experience by providing a contrast ratio as high as 13,000:1 for improved detail in dark scenes, according to the company.

You will get longer lamp life and possibly better contrast.

Yep. In reality, this is what it does:

"Creates cricket noise."

:)

The problem with Smart Eco seems to be that it maintains the brightness of Normal mode in bright scenes and the brightness of Eco mode in dark scenes, but - despite using the brightness of Normal Mode, it uses the fan speed of Eco mode all the time. This makes the PJ run very hot and this is where the cricket noise comes from as the components used seem to be of not sufficiently high quality to maintain their desired performance characteristics while running at a much higher temperature. This then causes the fan bearings to make the famous cricket noise. The technology behind Smart Eco seems reasonable, but it looks like it needs higher quality components to make it work well.  But hey, this is a sub $1,000 PJ remember!

The alleged improvements in contrast occur because contrast is a ratio of light to dark. By allowing a mode that uses the brightness of normal, in conjunction with Eco mode, the ratio is obviously expanded - the brights are brighter in relation to the darks. But in real life viewing you won’t notice much of a contrast improvement, and if you do, you may dislike what you see because you may be able to notice Smart Eco working - a bit like dynamic irises on some PJs: they improve the contrast (as defined above, on paper) but often you can see the iris working which is distracting.

I simply switched to Eco mode and the cricket noise went away and stayed away (unless using 3D mode of course) and there is no significant loss in PQ at all.

One caveat: PJs are highly subject to individual ways they are used. Unlike, say, plasma screens, which always work in a defined way, a PJ can be mounted at a widely differing range of distances from the screen, with different settings of zoom on the lens, and with a wide range of screens all with differing characteristics. So while Eco mode works really well for me, with a throw distance of about 9 feet onto a screen of about 92 inches diagonal, others may get different results depending on their individual circumstances.

post #6768 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

"Creates cricket noise."

smile.gif

The problem with Smart Eco seems to be that it maintains the brightness of Normal mode in bright scenes and the brightness of Eco mode in dark scenes, but - despite using the brightness of Normal Mode, it uses the fan speed of Eco mode all the time. This makes the PJ run very hot and this is where the cricket noise comes from as the components used seem to be of not sufficiently high quality to maintain their desired performance characteristics while running at a much higher temperature. This then causes the fan bearings to make the famous cricket noise. The technology behind Smart Eco seems reasonable, but it looks like it needs higher quality components to make it work well.  But hey, this is a sub $1,000 PJ remember!

The alleged improvements in contrast occur because contrast is a ratio of light to dark. By allowing a mode that uses the brightness of normal, in conjunction with Eco mode, the ratio is obviously expanded - the brights are brighter in relation to the darks. But in real life viewing you won’t notice much of a contrast improvement, and if you do, you may dislike what you see because you may be able to notice Smart Eco working - a bit like dynamic irises on some PJs: they improve the contrast (as defined above, on paper) but often you can see the iris working which is distracting.

I simply switched to Eco mode and the cricket noise went away and stayed away (unless using 3D mode of course) and there is no significant loss in PQ at all.

One caveat: PJs are highly subject to individual ways they are used. Unlike, say, plasma screens, which always work in a defined way, a PJ can be mounted at a widely differing range of distances from the screen, with different settings of zoom on the lens, and with a wide range of screens all with differing characteristics. So while Eco mode works really well for me, with a throw distance of about 9 feet onto a screen of about 92 inches diagonal, others may get different results depending on their individual circumstances.

I agree that PJs are highly subjective as you say but I wonder why Benq can't just fix the fan speed situation with a firmware change? A firmware change could easily change the fan speed for smart eco. I also wonder if Benq has already done this in later firmware revisions. I am interested in what firmware versions people are having issues with the cricket noise.
post #6769 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree that PJs are highly subjective as you say but I wonder why Benq can't just fix the fan speed situation with a firmware change? A firmware change could easily change the fan speed for smart eco. I also wonder if Benq has already done this in later firmware revisions. I am interested in what firmware versions people are having issues with the cricket noise.

My FW is 1.05.

I guess they don't want to change the fan speed because if they do, they will end up with the fan speed that Normal mode uses. One of the benefits of Eco mode is that the fan is much less noisy in that mode and I guess that BenQ don't want to use the higher fan speed of Normal in a mode called Smart Eco. I think many would not use Smart Eco at all if the fan was running at Normal mode speeds and noise level.

I think the real problem is, as I said, Smart Eco is good on paper, but requires a better quality fan with bearings that can cope better with higher levels of heat. The cricket noise arises purely because in Smart Eco the temperature is as high as in Normal mode but the fan speed is as low as in Eco mode. This causes the bearing to exceed its performance characteristics and the noise results. A FW solution of raising the fan speed to that of Normal Mode goes against the raison d'etre of Smart Eco mode.

I think this PJ is so good overall that sometimes we forget that it is a true 'budget' model. 

Also, there may be an element of 'greenness' figuring in this,  judging from BenQ's quoted remarks above. In many countries (here in the EU especially) manufacturers are under enormous pressure to show their green credentials by making their products far more energy efficient. Sometimes this is to the detriment of product quality - for example, energy conservation laws here forced plasma manufacturers to reduce energy consumption which then resulted in a generation of screens which had brightness levels unacceptable to many consumers. This has been a contributor to the death of plasma in favour of LCD - a small contributor I agree but a contributor nevertheless.  There may be an element of this in the introduction of a Smart Eco mode, which enables BenQ to appease the legislators by showing they are making efforts to reduce energy consumption. While in the real world, consumers simply choose the mode they are happiest with and say 'to hell with my energy bill - I want the best darned PQ I can get out of this thing'. 

post #6770 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My FW is 1.05.

I guess they don't want to change the fan speed because if they do, they will end up with the fan speed that Normal mode uses. One of the benefits of Eco mode is that the fan is much less noisy in that mode and I guess that BenQ don't want to use the higher fan speed of Normal in a mode called Smart Eco. I think many would not use Smart Eco at all if the fan was running at Normal mode speeds and noise level.

I think the real problem is, as I said, Smart Eco is good on paper, but requires a better quality fan with bearings that can cope better with higher levels of heat. The cricket noise arises purely because in Smart Eco the temperature is as high as in Normal mode but the fan speed is as low as in Eco mode. This causes the bearing to exceed its performance characteristics and the noise results. A FW solution of raising the fan speed to that of Normal Mode goes against the raison d'etre of Smart Eco mode.

I think this PJ is so good overall that sometimes we forget that it is a true 'budget' model. 

Also, there may be an element of 'greenness' figuring in this,  judging from BenQ's quoted remarks above. In many countries (here in the EU especially) manufacturers are under enormous pressure to show their green credentials by making their products far more energy efficient. Sometimes this is to the detriment of product quality - for example, energy conservation laws here forced plasma manufacturers to reduce energy consumption which then resulted in a generation of screens which had brightness levels unacceptable to many consumers. This has been a contributor to the death of plasma in favour of LCD - a small contributor I agree but a contributor nevertheless.  There may be an element of this in the introduction of a Smart Eco mode, which enables BenQ to appease the legislators by showing they are making efforts to reduce energy consumption. While in the real world, consumers simply choose the mode they are happiest with and say 'to hell with my energy bill - I want the best darned PQ I can get out of this thing'. 

Very good points. The reason I asked about the firmware upgrade is that I know they made changes in the fan shut off in earlier versions. I am wondering if they have made any others. It is very easy to do an upgrade to 107 if you or anyone else is intrested.
I am using 107 and have had no problems even with smart eco mode. I originally had 102 on my machine. I am over 300 hours on it.
post #6771 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Liked: 10
After receiving so much useful information on my projector purchases from this site, I feel like I owe something back. So here are some of my impressions after purchasing the W1070 last week and using it over the weekend. I bought it from amazon. Manufactured in August, and it has FW 1.6.

My setup: light controlled basement, use 20% of time in almost complete dark (dim theatre lighting) and other 80% of time with some lights on in a living room setting for gaming, sports, general TV watching. 120” Cinewhite Elitescreen with 1.1 gain. Ceiling mounted projector – mounted 12.5’ from screen and about 5’ above primary seating. My previous projector was an Epson 6500ub that fell ill to a pink bar at the bottom and green bar at the top of the image about 2 months after warranty was up.

1 – Regarding the noise this PJ puts out – it’s rated a few decibels louder than my old 6500ub. But in ECO mode – I don’t really notice it. Sure, I can hear it in quite scenes if I’m listening for it…but it’s not a distraction. It seems like it’s the same in smart-eco, and a little louder in normal.

2 – Regarding brightness – plenty bright even in ECO. Even when I turn on some lights, the screen doesn’t seem to be washed out at all. It looks like when I kick in smart-ECO, the brightness kicks up just a notch, so I could see using that when I have lights on for sports.

3 – Regarding contrast – this PJ is rated much less than the old Epson in terms of contrast ratio, but I don’t really notice much of a drop in performance…..maybe just a little That could be because of the DLP vs. LCD tech between the projectors. But I’m really pleased with black level, especially considering the price of this PJ (paid $850 for it, vs. the $2,300 I think I paid for the Epson 4 years ago).

4 – Regarding focus – I felt I needed to mention this, because it came up in this thread a few times while I was researching. It does appear that when I focus the projector and get the majority of the screen dead-on in focus, there are some other areas of the screen that are slightly off-focus. It’s very slight, and I chalk it up to the fact that I’m blaring a 120” image from 12.5’ away. I’m using every CM of vertical lens shift available, and I’m sure the wall my screen is on isn’t 100% flat just due to normal tolerances. I CAN ONLY REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE WHEN I’M STARING AT THE TEST PATTERN BARS FROM POINT-BLANK DISTANCE. And the off-focus pixels look about as good as my old Epson in-focus pixels due to the slight convergence issues that are inherent with LCD. So in conclusion – I don’t think my projector has a defect of anything, and I’m 100% OK with this, especially considering the price-tag.

5 – Regarding digital noise – I never really understood what digital noise was. I never saw it with the Epson (I don’t think it’s as much of an issue with LCD’s). But I was watching Rio with the kids this weekend, and there’s a scene towards the end with a parade (lots of bright colors and fast motion) and I see this fuzz like stuff trailing behind the fast moving images. Not totally annoying, put definitely visible. So I turned off the “Brilliant Color” like I read about, and now I don’t notice it. I haven’t mess with the Clarity Control yet, but I think I could play with that setting too if I need to. Which brings me to…

6 – Regarding color – awesome right out of the box on Cinema in ECO mode. I’ve got an Eye-One, and had to use it on the Epson to achieve a good picture. I almost don’t want to even mess with it on the 1070. It’s great. And turning off the Brilliant Color mode actually made things look a little more realistic I think. So maybe I’ll fire up the Eye-One and calibrate this bad boy over Thanksgiving….or maybe I won’t.

7 – Regarding gaming – I like me some games. I read that the Benq lag is awesome for games. I didn’t think lag was a big deal though for me, but just to test, I fired up some old-school Guitar Hero 3 this weekend, because it has this “calibrate lag” thing. My calibrated lag using the Epson was something like 40 MS. Calibrate lag using the Benq…..0 MS. I’m not even kidding. That sounds like an error, but no kidding when I played, I was killing it….broking personal high-scores and stuff. You can stop laughing at me now. I only did that for about an hour, then spent more time over the weekend playing Dirt 3 through my PC jacked up to 1080 and max settings. Beautiful picture and great performance on the Benq.

8 – Regarding HMDI handshaking – again, I read about some issues awhile back on this thread so I thought I’d address. I’ve got everything coming through a Denon receiver into HDMI 1. My Epson would take about 8-10 second to acquire the signal when changing sources (doesn’t sound like much, but SUPER ANNOYING). I’d miss the splash screen on the PS3 and stuff because the projector would take longer than that making a connection. The Benq is maybe 3 seconds. A lot better, and I got to see my PS3 splash screen for the first time in 4 years.

9 – Regarding 3D – I haven’t tried it yet. I’m not a big fan of the technology, so that wasn’t a deciding factor when I picked this PJ.

Conclusion – Bottom line is that I was looking to replace a projector that cost $2,300 originally, and only went just over 2 years before breaking (I’ve used it for another 2 years with the annoying bars on the top and bottom). I realized the cost of ownership going in on these (bulbs mainly), but I didn’t sign up for totally replacing my PJ every couple of years. That being said, if I found a way to get even 75% of the performance of the Epson, but by only spending $1,000 - that was going to be a huge win for me. I bought this on amazon, thinking I could send it back before 30 days a) if I couldn’t get placement to work (I’m pushing both the distance limits and vertical lens shift almost to their max…but it worked with my existing mount and screen location luckily) or b) if I didn’t like the performance. As you can tell from above, barring any unforeseen problems over the next 25 days, I hope I’ll be keeping this projector. If anything, I feel like I’m getting almost equivalent overall performance and I paid a heck of a lot less. I’m going to buy a 3-year square trade warranty now for another $120. And maybe I’ll give 3D a try.

One more thing – I found a good scene to show off the projector this weekend – the intro to Nitro Circus (the movie). Watched it in “Super 1080P” (whatever that is) on Netflix. With the colors of the bikes/trucks/copters, and the motion…it’s really cool.
post #6772 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I bought a refurb from BenQ and it has version 1.05 firmware. Should I upgrade to 1.07?
post #6773 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

I bought a refurb from BenQ and it has version 1.05 firmware. Should I upgrade to 1.07?

Only if you need the changes. I can't remember what they were but you can do a search in the thread. I believe 106 had some important updates.
post #6774 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Very good points. The reason I asked about the firmware upgrade is that I know they made changes in the fan shut off in earlier versions. I am wondering if they have made any others. It is very easy to do an upgrade to 107 if you or anyone else is intrested.
I am using 107 and have had no problems even with smart eco mode. I originally had 102 on my machine. I am over 300 hours on it.

Fair comments. I have about 600 hours on mine. I won't be upgrading the FW because I have an Epson 5030 coming this week and the BenQ will be sold on. It was, for me, only ever a stop-gap. HST, I am blown away by the PQ that can be achieved with the w1070. Mine has been properly calibrated using Calman and it is used in a totally light controlled, dark gray/black room with masks for 'scope movies and other than the black levels I am struggling to see how the Epson will better it. Certainly not to the tune of being 2.5 times the price. But I am a black level fanatic, hence the upgrade. (I have to use the Epson as it is the only 'high quality' PJ that has a throw that is suitable for my room/screen).

post #6775 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spe411 View Post

After receiving so much useful information on my projector purchases from this site, I feel like I owe something back. So here are some of my impressions after purchasing the W1070 last week and using it over the weekend. I bought it from amazon. Manufactured in August, and it has FW 1.6.

I agree with every point you make - they all echo my own experiences with this amazing little PJ. Except for the handshake - I am on older FW and I miss the splash screen during handshake like you do. They improved this in the later FW iterations.

post #6776 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:

"Creates cricket noise."

smile.gif

That's exactly right. My OOTB viewing mode preference is Standard in Smart Eco for the benefits of brightness and fan noise. I thought the setting was too good to be true and why anyone in their right mind would choose Eco or Normal mode. But alas... it was too good to be true. Cue cricket noise rattling. However, after discovering how easy it was to dismantle the projector and access the fan's lube well, I don't think this problem will happen again. What's also interesting is I found the fan only had the black sticker acting as a seal. Most computer fans have the sticker and a rubber plug. That could be the partial cause as well.

Now if only there were a definitive fix for the light leakage. smile.gif

Regarding using synthetic motor oil, isn't there detergents and other ingredients in motor oil that could be detrimental to an electronic fan? Not saying this is the case, but am genuinely interested.
post #6777 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You are using Smart-Eco, right?  Switch to Eco and the noise will go away. There's no real loss by not using Smart-Eco - other than the crickets noise.

Yup I am using Smart Eco. I will switch to Eco and report back on if it got better.

Also I am on FW 1.06 and projecting on a 120" screen from about 12' back.
post #6778 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 AM

David - I will agree with you that Smart Eco provides the best image but the problem is that the fan speed is kept at "Eco" speeds while at times projecting brighter images than Normal mode. The lamp may be dynamic in its brightness but the accompanying fan speed is not. It makes the projector too hot and degrades the fan lube to the point of it making the infamous rattle.
post #6779 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyroo View Post

Quote:

"Creates cricket noise."

smile.gif

That's exactly right. My OOTB viewing mode preference is Standard in Smart Eco for the benefits of brightness and fan noise. I thought the setting was too good to be true and why anyone in their right mind would choose Eco or Normal mode. But alas... it was too good to be true. Cue cricket noise rattling. However, after discovering how easy it was to dismantle the projector and access the fan's lube well, I don't think this problem will happen again. What's also interesting is I found the fan only had the black sticker acting as a seal. Most computer fans have the sticker and a rubber plug. That could be the partial cause as well.

Now if only there were a definitive fix for the light leakage. smile.gif

Regarding using synthetic motor oil, isn't there detergents and other ingredients in motor oil that could be detrimental to an electronic fan? Not saying this is the case, but am genuinely interested.

I admire your work in trying to isolate and fix the problem. There are additives in motor oil (synthetic oil could be classed as "all additives) but whether they can damage an electronic fan, IDK. Maybe lithium grease would work as it can also cope with high temperatures?

Agreed on the light leakage. I find this far more of a problem than cricket noise - I cured that simply by using `Eco mode.

post #6780 of 9994 Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee05 View Post

Quote:

Yup I am using Smart Eco. I will switch to Eco and report back on if it got better.

Also I am on FW 1.06 and projecting on a 120" screen from about 12' back.

I am betting you will report back and say "the crickets have left the building". :)

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page