BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 238 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7111 of 10166 Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Help!

I have followed the instructions for Firmware updating my W1070 (Fw1.05) to 1.08 using the USB / DLP Composer Lite method, but everything goes well until I hit "Start Download", then when I confirm YES, I get a message that states - "Unsupported flash device, MFG=0x1c, DEV= 0x22cb No parameters in file: <Internal FlashDeviceParameters>"

What gives?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 10166 Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraXXious View Post

Help!

I have followed the instructions for Firmware updating my W1070 (Fw1.05) to 1.08 using the USB / DLP Composer Lite method, but everything goes well until I hit "Start Download", then when I confirm YES, I get a message that states - "Unsupported flash device, MFG=0x1c, DEV= 0x22cb No parameters in file: "

What gives?

Did you copy and paste the " FlashDeviceParameters" when installing the DLP composer?

This is from the set up guide

5. .Install the download tool. It is called DLP composer. Also download the Flash Device Parameters file.
5A Copy the Flash Device Parameters. txt file to the DLP composer program file (It is under programs x86 DLP Composer on your C drive.) Use Copy and paste. The folder you want to paste this file to will be on the c drive after you install DLP composer.
post #7113 of 10166 Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The service tool can only be used with the serial port. If you write down your information and settings you can use the mini B USB port. It is much easier doing it this way.
Thanks, I went ahead and upgraded to v1.08 via USB and re-entered my settings, I was just concerned about losing some low-level system settings. Seems to have worked out ok.
post #7114 of 10166 Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM

Hi rolling01, thanks for the help.

where do I download the flashdeviceparameters file from? It was not on the Dropbox page where I obtained all the other files.

post #7115 of 10166 Old 12-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Think I found it. It is a txt descriptor file bundled with the DLP Composer program?

post #7116 of 10166 Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM

Liked: 14
rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraXXious View Post

Think I found it. It is a txt descriptor file bundled with the DLP Composer program?

That's it.

I presume you are follows these instructions to the letter (except firmware version),the bold bits are very important.

1. Write down all your settings before starting an update. (If you do not you will loose all your settings)
2. I suggest that you create a new folder on your desktop called 1070 firmware in the new folder.
3. Download the download tool and unzip it to the new folder.
4. Download the new separate 106 img file to the same folder from the link above.
5. .Install the download tool. It is called DLP composer. Also download the Flash Device Parameters file.
5A Copy the Flash Device Parameters. txt file to the DLP composer program file (It is under programs x86 DLP Composer on your C drive.) Use Copy and paste. The folder you want to paste this file to will be on the c drive after you install DLP composer
6. Open the DLP Composer tool and go to edit, preferences.
7. When the window opens go to communication and set it to USB
8. Close this window and click on flash loader on the opening screen. A window will open.
8. Change the mark to Complete Image Download Put check in Skip Boot loader area Change 32Kb
9. On the top of the flash loader hit the browse button and go to your folder 106 img file.
10. Insert the USB cable in the min plug on the projector and into your computer. (Wait for the drivers to load. This should take a minute with windows 7 or 8
11. Unplug the projector and push the power and auto buttons at the same time. Plug in the projector while holding the buttons. The LED on the projector will turn red if you are in download mode (It must turn red to install the firmware. If it turns orange do this again until you only get the red led) This is very important.
12 Hit the Reset Bus and Start Download. The upgrade process should take about 5 minutes. A timer will start telling you how long it will take.
13. Do not unplug anything during the process. When everything completes the LED on the projector will turn to standby orange.
14. Unplug the USB cable and turn the projector on
15 You will have to put all your settings back in and turn source select to auto
16. Instructions are also available in the service manual PDF you downloaded to your folder.
17. Only do this upgrade at your own risk and if you are familiar with doing firmware updates..
18. You do not need the service tool to do the firmware update the firmware and write down your settings
post #7117 of 10166 Old 12-30-2013, 10:28 PM

Yepperz, all good - 1.08 installed now - source switching is much better.

Thanks for the help - appreciated. Where I went wrong is the guide says to DOWNLOAD the Flash Device Parameters file when in fact it is already part of another download - this is what confused me.

post #7118 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 05:36 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheBlue View Post

Yes good points David, reading further into the review of the W1500 I should expect only better brightness than the 1070 or 1080st. I did not like how the 2nd Star Trek pic for the Optoma looked when compared to the 1070. http://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/optoma-hd25-lv-reviewsummary-2/

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/benq-w1070-review-summary-3/

I'm currently researching the Epson 3020e as a possible option.

I'm going to throw this out there as well... If your room is not COMPLETELY light controlled, and I mean black walls, black ceiling, black flooring, no windows, etc.. Then a WHITE screen and a projector will NEVER be able to touch the blacks of a plasma. And even if you have a completely light controlled room, I'm still not sure you can get beyond the blacks of a plasma, just close to it with a high end projector.

But, if you will be watching with any ambient light at all, forget about black levels. Personally I find the W1070 completely acceptable for blacks. Because at 120" versus the 42" plasma upstairs. there is no comparison.
post #7119 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyville View Post

I'm going to throw this out there as well... If your room is not COMPLETELY light controlled, and I mean black walls, black ceiling, black flooring, no windows, etc.. Then a WHITE screen and a projector will NEVER be able to touch the blacks of a plasma. And even if you have a completely light controlled room, I'm still not sure you can get beyond the blacks of a plasma, just close to it with a high end projector.

But, if you will be watching with any ambient light at all, forget about black levels. Personally I find the W1070 completely acceptable for blacks. Because at 120" versus the 42" plasma upstairs. there is no comparison.

Yeah my living room will be all white walls/ceiling, light reflecting off hardwood floors, will probably be a mess lol. I think I'm finally totally decided on getting the W7500 whenever that comes out though, as long as its contrast numbers match the W1070 since it'll have the D3 chip.

Do you or anyone have a ~$500 pull-down/electric gray screen recommendation in the 106-110" range?
post #7120 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is bad. You say that my Samsung 51" plasma will give better blacks??

My tv is from 2011, I must admit, watching Thron Legacy on my Tv is just fantastic!! The color, the few one just sparkles and the blacks are soooo deep and mezmerising. I guess i have done a good job in calibrating it.

Now. My screen is 106". And my soon to be Benq 1070 will give a picture that fills this completely, maybe some inch outside. At 3.5 m throwlength. I have little light control, this is our living room with white walls and big windows.

So if this gives a Thron Legacy with dull blacks, I will be so utterly disapointed.

In fact I might have to do something. Get me a Epson eh-tw9100 Call my dealer before he ships anything on Friday 4th. A sony is out of the question, then we will have to sell our car. That Epson goes for 2623.99 her in Norway, on constant sale from a "kind" dealer. .

Should I really do that ??
post #7121 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

This is bad. You say that my Samsung 51" plasma will give better blacks??

My tv is from 2011, I must admit, watching Thron Legacy on my Tv is just fantastic!! The color, the few one just sparkles and the blacks are soooo deep and mezmerising. I guess i have done a good job in calibrating it.

Now. My screen is 106". And my soon to be Benq 1070 will give a picture that fills this completely, maybe some inch outside. At 3.5 m throwlength. I have little light control, this is our living room with white walls and big windows.

So if this gives a Thron Legacy with dull blacks, I will be so utterly disapointed.

In fact I might have to do something. Get me a Epson eh-tw9100 Call my dealer before he ships anything on Friday 4th. A sony is out of the question, then we will have to sell our car. That Epson goes for 2623.99 her in Norway, on constant sale from a "kind" dealer. .

Should I really do that ??

Like someone mentioned above, it doesn't matter what projector you get, if you're in a non-light controlled room you're likely going to be real disappointed.

post #7122 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I don't think anyone can expect Plasma like blacks from a <$10k projector.

We need to keep our expectations in check from from budget PJs that are under $1k.

What you are going to get from the W1070 is a big, bright, and accurate picture.

My dream would be a Sony when I hit the jackpot biggrin.gif
post #7123 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

I don't think anyone can expect Plasma like blacks from a <$10k projector.

We need to keep our expectations in check from from budget PJs that are under $1k.

What you are going to get from the W1070 is a big, bright, and accurate picture.

My dream would be a Sony when I hit the jackpot biggrin.gif

seriously, for a $800.00 projector you are getting an amazing picture at that price point compared to anything else you can find, sure again not ink blacks but yeah if you want that go spend $5000+ I am super happy with my projector and the picture Im getting granted Im coming from an LCD to this projector so blacks are pretty much on par and probably why I dont care to much. smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #7124 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

seriously, for a $800.00 projector you are getting an amazing picture at that price point compared to anything else you can find, sure again not ink blacks but yeah if you want that go spend $5000+ I am super happy with my projector and the picture Im getting granted Im coming from an LCD to this projector so blacks are pretty much on par and probably why I dont care to much. smile.gif

I might get an Sony HW50 used for a good price (approx 3.000,- usd) -- any good regarding them blacks?

Edit;
Sony VPL-HW50ES
post #7125 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

I might get an Sony HW50 used for a good price (approx 3.000,- usd) -- any good regarding them blacks?

Are you talking about the Sony VPL-HW50ES? if so I have heard good things about that projector BUT when it comes to 3d, I have heard that w1070 does better 3d then the Sony does so for 2d viewing I would assume it does far better then the w1070 but since I have not personally seen this projector, I cant really comment much about it.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #7126 of 10166 Old 12-31-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeoguy View Post

I am looking for any suggestions (if there is a way) to diminish the amount of RBE that I see. Would an NG filter help? Or maybe after the lamp dims down a bit it will not be as noticeable. Any help is appreciated!

I've only had my projector for a few days, but I think it was the judder that was making me sick. In Hunger games, the shaky cam really did me in, and the RBE was very apparent during the dark scenes.

Frame interpolation using Media Player Classic and Smooth Video Project seems to help me.http://www.svp-team.com/
My eyes much prefer the occasional artifact over the constant dizzyness, but it's not for everyone.
post #7127 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
In the past several users complained about vibration from the fan. It seems that this vibration may have been coming from the color wheel. Benq just issued a service report PDF about the issue. In includes adding a small sponge.

ftp://210.65.248.224/Projector/ServiceECNReport/W1070/Projector_er_W1070_20131203_171912_PRJ_SCN%20131203A.pdf
post #7128 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyville View Post

The newer JVC's are easily beating any Plasma that I know of in a darkened room of course, though I do not keep up with Plasmas, you can get a newer JVC for under $5000 and they have DI now + native on/off as high or higher than a Plasma. That said, they aren't under $1000 like this projector is.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #7129 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a JVC RS45 and a Benq 1070. I bought the 1070 because I could not deal with the ghosting on 3D from the JVC. The JVC does have better blacks and on certain movies the difference is appreciated. That being said, the 1070 is remarkable for the price and I use it for most casual TV and Movie viewing. With slight calibration the colors are great.
post #7130 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Coming from a plasma as my main TV to the 1070 as my main movie watching TV, the thing you'll notice right off the bat is the decreased blacks. During brighter scences the picture is beautiful, but during darker scenes, you'll notice quite the hit in black level and contrast compared to your plasma, it's definitely the main downfall to this projector imo. It gives a great picture, don't get me wrong, but I'll definitely be looking to upgrade this projector in 2 years or so because the blacks to drive me a little crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

AMEN!! I watched Disney's "A Christmas Carol" on my father-in-law's 6 year old Panasonic 720p 52" plasma and couldn't believe how stunning the picture was. Because many scenes are very dark the much higher contrast of the Plasma gives the image a richness and depth that the cheap DLP projectors can't even come close to matching. On the other hand, watching the four Disney "Tinkerbell" movies over Christmas (yes, that's right) on the projector was simply stunning because of the brightly lit, saturated colors.

Unless you have the money (or throw distance) for a serious home theater projector there will be significant compromises.

Thanks for the replies.I used to own a rear projection Sony LCD TV so the 100" screen plus decent price should help me overlook the picture difference until I can afford a more expensive unit .
post #7131 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another handshake problem. mad.gif

AVR Onkyo 905
BenQ W1070 (firmware 1.07)

I had not experienced any handshake issues until I finished some 3D viewing. In order to watch 3D content, I had to connect my BR player directly to the pj since my AVR does not do 3D pass through. Once I was done viewing the this material, I reconnected the HDMI cable as it was before. However, now my 1070 can no longer find a signal from my AVR. It will sync up fine if connected directly to the source (cable box or BR player). In contrast, when the AVR is connected to my other display (LG LED TV), there is no handshake issue.

I did all the standard handshake remedies...power everything off (unplugged actually)...disconnected all HDMI cables at both ends...reconnected and re-powered starting at the display and working my way back upstream.
Still no luck. Help.frown.gif

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #7132 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM

Hi!

setup the onkyo to make all the picture settings automaticly. (resulution) that helped with my onkyo 906.

Stephan
post #7133 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddvm View Post

Another handshake problem. mad.gif

AVR Onkyo 905
BenQ W1070 (firmware 1.07)

I had not experienced any handshake issues until I finished some 3D viewing. In order to watch 3D content, I had to connect my BR player directly to the pj since my AVR does not do 3D pass through. Once I was done viewing the this material, I reconnected the HDMI cable as it was before. However, now my 1070 can no longer find a signal from my AVR. It will sync up fine if connected directly to the source (cable box or BR player). In contrast, when the AVR is connected to my other display (LG LED TV), there is no handshake issue.

I did all the standard handshake remedies...power everything off (unplugged actually)...disconnected all HDMI cables at both ends...reconnected and re-powered starting at the display and working my way back upstream.
Still no luck. Help.frown.gif

You might want to set the handshake to HDMI instead of auto.
post #7134 of 10166 Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner353 View Post

Hi all,

I see everyone is looking for 1.08 so here is a package I have put together.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5omnxp1vr6wyi4/15YsjCtmTd

Thank you for this. I'm having some trouble viewing the PDFs though as it's asking me for a digital ID? Can anyone help explain this.
Thanks
post #7135 of 10166 Old 01-02-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempf View Post

Hi!

setup the onkyo to make all the picture settings automaticly. (resulution) that helped with my onkyo 906.

Stephan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

You might want to set the handshake to HDMI instead of auto.

Back up running again. It was just matter of unplugging and plugging every connection multiple times until it felt like syncing. No rhyme or reason to it.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #7136 of 10166 Old 01-02-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner353 View Post

Hi all,

I see everyone is looking for 1.08 so here is a package I have put together.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5omnxp1vr6wyi4/15YsjCtmTd

Thank you for this. I'm having some trouble viewing the PDFs though as it's asking me for a digital ID? Can anyone help explain this.
Thanks
I will fix them tomorrow for you, accidentally encrypted them with a digital certificate which I use for work, will let you know when they are fixed.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
post #7137 of 10166 Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 AM

Hi all

Just got my W1070!!!

Two quick questions:

1. Since the lens is not centered, should I attach my ceiling mount so that the lens is in the middle of where I want to projector does the projector already factor in the lens is off-center and adjusts the picture by about 2.5 inches?  (I know it's not much at all, but I can easily slide the projector to the side so the lens is directly under the ceiling mount instead of off-center, I figured I'd ask!)

2. Should I immediately update the firmware on it? I haven't even turned it on yet however I doubt it has the latest.

Or should I only do this if I have any issues?

Thanks!

post #7138 of 10166 Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM

hey dont update firware just away if u have 1.06 it can void warranty becouse i have firmware 1.06 since i got it have 670 hours on benq w 1070 its working very good projector indeed . Connected with displayport 1.2 all 3d is working good with pc gtx 680 720p 60 hz framepacking and can select top bottom and then it shows 1280 1470 resolution and somewhat better quality in 3d  when playing skyrim good game to play 3dtv .  have 92 inch screen 1.1 cain  using it alot and no overheating stuff or anithing only thing is somtimes no signal then touch wire signal comes back but its becouse only 1.8 meter cable  hope to see hdmi 2.0 or someting to get 3d better working . I think all is good with the projector  perfect benq who dont have money to throw away. haha

post #7139 of 10166 Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorthEh View Post

Hi all

Just got my W1070!!!

Two quick questions:

1. Since the lens is not centered, should I attach my ceiling mount so that the lens is in the middle of where I want to projector does the projector already factor in the lens is off-center and adjusts the picture by about 2.5 inches?  (I know it's not much at all, but I can easily slide the projector to the side so the lens is directly under the ceiling mount instead of off-center, I figured I'd ask!)

2. Should I immediately update the firmware on it? I haven't even turned it on yet however I doubt it has the latest.
Or should I only do this if I have any issues?

Thanks!

You should put the lens at the center... so the projector will be the 2.5 off center. As far as the firmware, I would not update it. I have version 1.04 and have no issues at all, everything works fine, 3D etc.. Until I need any of the added features, I am not going to risk upgrading the firmware. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But thats me, others always want the latest. But from what I have read, doing it yourself technically voids the warranty. So proceed at your own risk.
post #7140 of 10166 Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So I am starting to notice that my image is not quite filling up my screen. I have a Elunevision Motorized 120" screen. Actual measurements puts it at 119" from what I gather. It seems like I have a bit of the image not covering the top/bottom but it bleeds a bit onto the left/right. Does this mean my screen is not quite dimensioned properly? I can try to get a pic to help out once I get home.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page