BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 247 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7381 of 9652 Old 01-18-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Its all about the khazi :-)

I have some peculiar memories concerning them movie theaters, last time I attended one, was late in the spring 1977.
I might have had one or two visits later on, but thats well over ten years ago.

So my Benq 1070 at first indeed resembled these films of that 1970 age, like Saturday Night Fever, the Deep and Airport 77. Now that I am beginning to learn how to adjust it, even todays movies, like Riddick, Hobbit and Elysium looks contamporary, well that Elysium reminded me more of the style of A Bridge Too Far....

The reason why I got me this hometheatre, is my kidneys, or lack of. I had them replaced a few years ago. Thats why this small house is ever important. And I hate wandering out of a big screen movie theatre just to empty that small pint that bothers me so.

So, for me and my condition, this big screen at home is the best that has happened ever, I was thinking of it ten years ago, then it was way too expensive.

This Benq 1070 and a "cheap" Grandview 106" manual screen, I can of my whole heart recommend to everyone, this is indeed a really big adventure waiting for you! I cannot see any bright future for them old tellies now, all the time such high quality projectors can be bought so cheap in a store near you....
Tommy Mang likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7382 of 9652 Old 01-18-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Blacks - schmacks... my Panny plasma gives me blacks -- my 1070 gives me a 100" pic spectacularly. biggrin.gif
post #7383 of 9652 Old 01-18-2014, 10:29 PM

So lets keep off this khazi for a while, lets shake hands :-)

Handshaking, hdmi. Reviewers tell me that Benq w1070 has slow handshaking. What does that mean ?? What should I put it on ?
post #7384 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

Handshaking, hdmi. Reviewers tell me that Benq w1070 has slow handshaking. What does that mean ?? What should I put it on ?

Basically when you're switching between inputs or loading up a blu ray (on the ps3 anyway) the projector will "search for source" for a few seconds and will flash into a blank blue screen. It slows things down a bit, but it's not a big deal to me at least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

post #7385 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

and will flash into a blank blue screen.

Interesting.......my screen turns Black (ish) ................ really a dark grey. It won't display plasma blacks. (jk)

BTW, what does Khazi mean? as in komma Khazi?

"New Member" since 2007....
post #7386 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post

Khazi?

Shithouse....
post #7387 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

One thing I noticed when I went from 1.05 firmware to 1.08 was the "handshake" time was cut in half.  Now it's about 3-4 sec to switch sources (both of my sources are pcs)

post #7388 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I just ordered my screen and mount.
post #7389 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post

Quote:

One thing I noticed when I went from 1.05 firmware to 1.08 was the "handshake" time was cut in half.  Now it's about 3-4 sec to switch sources (both of my sources are pcs)

1.06 addressed the handshake issue, it says, like you did, a noticeable change.

post #7390 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
This is probably a stupid question but I'm looking to upgrade from my Sanyo Z4 to a new sub $1k projector. I mainly watch hockey/football, movies and some gaming. 92 inch screen at about 9ft. Will I see a significant improvement going to the W1070? Trying to justify picking one up when my bulb hasn't burned out yet(at about 2500 hours).
post #7391 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

1.06 addressed the handshake issue, it says, like you did, a noticeable change.

Hmm, now Im really in a bad spot, my Benq 1070 is manufactured in June 2013. And it is 1.05.
To upgrade it, well if I cant do it by myself, I am stuck, to send it out of question frown.gif
post #7392 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlostcory View Post

This is probably a stupid question but I'm looking to upgrade from my Sanyo Z4 to a new sub $1k projector. I mainly watch hockey/football, movies and some gaming. 92 inch screen at about 9ft. Will I see a significant improvement going to the W1070? Trying to justify picking one up when my bulb hasn't burned out yet(at about 2500 hours).

I owned a Z4 years ago and you will be shocked at the difference with the 1070.
oldlostcory likes this.
post #7393 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Liked: 11

I had an interesting experience today.  But first a back story.  I've had the w1070 a while now, 8 months or so.  I have it on BOC with a 127" image.  Throw was 11'1" to the lens, that's as far back as I could go in my room   That throw and picture size put my zoom about 3/4 of the way to max.  I was very happy with the 2d picture but recently I bought some 3d blu-rays and was disappointed with the brightness of the picture in 3d.

So I've been aware that the projector is the brightest at max zoom, but I didn't think it would be that noticeable.  Today I moved my Pj 7 inches closer to the screen and at max zoom it has the same picture size, 127".  I was blown away by how much brighter it looked in 3d.  According to the projectorcentral calculator this is only a brightness increase of 1FL but I feel like 1FL would not be that noticeable.  After calibrating contrast and brightness again, I noticed that black levels in 2d did suffer but I guess that's a trade off I am ok with.

So guys if any of you are hurting for lumens this may be an option.

timdafweak likes this.
post #7394 of 9652 Old 01-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka2 View Post

No, it is definitely not the projector. Here is a trusted review at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/projectors/projectors-reviews/benq-w1070-projector/all-pages.html that stated:

"When using the HDMI input, color and tint controls are disabled, so unless you have calibration equipment, all that you will be configuring on the BenQ are the brightness, contrast, and sharpness controls. Setting those is much easier when Whiter-than-White and Blacker-than-Black are visible, but those are clipped by default. They can be made visible by setting the HDMI Mode to PC from Auto, which I would recommend doing.

I'd also recommend sending all your content in the YCbCr 4:4:4 colorspace. Using 4:2:2, the BenQ used lower quality filtering on chroma detail, and the timing was misaligned by half a pixel. Using RGB produced similar results, but 4:4:4 was handled properly and should be used if possible."

I saw a couple of other reviews remarking about the clipping but I am sure they were not aware to change the settings. I am using an Oppo player and there is no clipping. Switching between PC and Video settings and comparing the image is meaningless without calibrating, the Brightness and Contrast settings will need to be set at different values to produce a similar appearance for the different modes. I don't understand why you said you are "pretty sure" that you were still getting clipping, if you are using a calibration disc, clipping levels above 235 will be obvious because you will not see the bars from 235 to 255 no matter how much you adjust Contrast.

Is your projector connected directly to the player? An AV receiver can also limit the range of signals passed through it.

I am feeding the projector directly from a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player. I checked tonight, inputting PC Signal still clips, in order to not clip I have to output RGB also. Others on this forum suggest the same is true with Oppo players, and also that the Panny doesn't clip with other projectors.

Benq W1070 projector
Da-Lite High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver
Focal 700-series towers and center
JMLab Tantal-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7395 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Hmm, now Im really in a bad spot, my Benq 1070 is manufactured in June 2013. And it is 1.05.
To upgrade it, well if I cant do it by myself, I am stuck, to send it out of question frown.gif

Follow the directions carefully it is not that hard to do the upgrade.
post #7396 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I bought Mitsubishi HC8000 after I bricked my W1070 and needed to change motherboard. I used HC8000 for a while in 2D only and wasnt impressed.After I got W1070 back and switched from HC8000 to W1070 in the middle of 1080i live soccer game, my brothers laughed at how much better W1070 looked, almost day and night. I tried to tweak HC8000 to look better but couldnt.
W1070 brightness and sharpness made a huge difference , it was like being there in the stadium. Then I tried BD The Dark Night, again sharpness was noticeable better, HC8000 had a cleaner picture, like a high end Sony 55HX929 TV that I had before. I tweaked sharpness and Noise Reduction on W1070 briefly, I think noise has improved.

I was projecting on 100" 1.1 gain screen and room has bright wall, ceiling and floor.

My new replaced motherboard came with 1.07 firmware. HDMI input has been fixed and its now stable. I am not sure if picture has improved too,but I am more impressed now than ever since I bought it.

The other good thing about W1070 is it can be used worldwide. HC8000 couldnt play 1080i 50Hz smoothly, judder was like watching 3D movie without glasses, almost unwatchable.
post #7397 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have a question on mounting. With the benq calculator it tells me 1' 3" from ceiling. Now that has to be center of lens correct? Then distance to screen is from screen to lens or front of projector? As the lens sits about an inch inside the projector. I attached a picture from the calculator. The projector is being mounted upside down from a custom shelf then using the peerless mount with the gears.

post #7398 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Liked: 42
Here's whats possible with a properly calibrated W1080ST on a 120" DIY Spandex screen! wink.gif
There's a bit more detail in the DIY screen forum for those interested.

I took some more shots with the projector properly calibrated now and with a bit more work done on the screen.
I made the screen black surround from black plush car carpet from a 1M wide strip and 3M long. I cut it into strips to fit around the edge of the screen and double sided velcro'd it on.

Here's some shots to show off the calibration and the contrast, dynamic range, colour saturation and some shots of my screen construction. Sorry its hard to photograph the back of the screen now its all mounted.
I used a Canon 5DMk II with 16-24mm F2.8 lens mounted on tripod. I took 2 shots of each still, one with camera measured exposure which sometimes over exposed and 1 shot with 1 stop under exposure which was more representative of what I saw in terms of brightness and colour. Most of the shots I have posted here are the 1 stop under shots.
You will occasionally see rainbow effect in some of the shots but it is never visible to the naked eye.

Here's some oblivion shots. This is one of my favourite films for checking contrast and colour due to its excellent transfer quality and consistency with colour balance from shot to shot.
First off though here's my black level calibration and SMPTE colour calibration from DVE.

DVE

Oblivion shots

Toy Story from WoW

Up from Wow

Another from Wow

Room Shots

Behind the screen

post #7399 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Looks great! Are you able to see blacker-than-reference-black and whiter-than-reference-white, and if so, what Bluray output and projector input settings did you use to be able to get our projector not to clip? As lots of folks and reviews have reported, our projector clips in standard settings, some report being able to get it not to clip by setting it to input a PC Signal, for me and others it still clips unless we also set our Bluray players to output RGB. And that combination seems to significantly degrade the image.

Benq W1070 projector
Denon X2000 receiver
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7400 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

Looks great! Are you able to see blacker-than-reference-black and whiter-than-reference-white, and if so, what Bluray output and projector input settings did you use to be able to get our projector not to clip? As lots of folks and reviews have reported, our projector clips in standard settings, some report being able to get it not to clip by setting it to input a PC Signal, for me and others it still clips unless we also set our Bluray players to output RGB. And that combination seems to significantly degrade the image.

Yes the projector will display blacker than black and whiter than white when using a good player.
Im using a PS3 and a surface pro 2 for playback with Jriver MC19.
Both are using HDMI with YCbCr colour space and hdmi video mode, not PC mode.
Most people are probably running way more contrast than you actually need as it is a real light cannon and is still giving me 18fc in eco mode with contrast set to 38 and brightness at 48.
One thing I will say is that the blacks will also crush with contrast set too high.
The setup I have now was reached after many hours of calibration with different software and test material. It has that film look but still with great POP from the screen.
post #7401 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

Yes the projector will display blacker than black and whiter than white when using a good player.
Im using a PS3 and a surface pro 2 for playback with Jriver MC19.
Both are using HDMI with YCbCr colour space and hdmi video mode, not PC mode.
Most people are probably running way more contrast than you actually need as it is a real light cannon and is still giving me 18fc in eco mode with contrast set to 38 and brightness at 48.
One thing I will say is that the blacks will also crush with contrast set too high.
The setup I have now was reached after many hours of calibration with different software and test material. It has that film look but still with great POP from the screen.

If you're getting non-clipped BTB and WTW in video mode with our projector, as best I can tell you're unique. The videophile reviews of this projector suggest consistent clipping in that mode, and that's certainly my experience. I have a good Panasonic Bluray player that is not known to clip with other projectors, and I know others on this forum with Oppo Bluray players (which must surely qualify as good) have the same clipping experience I do. And yes, the clipping occurs in eco mode with contrast and brightness anywhere in the range (though you've certainly got your contrast set lower than I do or than I've seen anyone else recommend).

Benq W1070 projector
Denon X2000 receiver
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7402 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 PM

I never got the idea of projecting it on the black screen. Is this better than the white background

post #7403 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaka2 View Post

No, it is definitely not the projector. Here is a trusted review at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/projectors/projectors-reviews/benq-w1070-projector/all-pages.html that stated:

"When using the HDMI input, color and tint controls are disabled, so unless you have calibration equipment, all that you will be configuring on the BenQ are the brightness, contrast, and sharpness controls. Setting those is much easier when Whiter-than-White and Blacker-than-Black are visible, but those are clipped by default. They can be made visible by setting the HDMI Mode to PC from Auto, which I would recommend doing.

I'd also recommend sending all your content in the YCbCr 4:4:4 colorspace. Using 4:2:2, the BenQ used lower quality filtering on chroma detail, and the timing was misaligned by half a pixel. Using RGB produced similar results, but 4:4:4 was handled properly and should be used if possible."

I saw a couple of other reviews remarking about the clipping but I am sure they were not aware to change the settings. I am using an Oppo player and there is no clipping. Switching between PC and Video settings and comparing the image is meaningless without calibrating, the Brightness and Contrast settings will need to be set at different values to produce a similar appearance for the different modes. I don't understand why you said you are "pretty sure" that you were still getting clipping, if you are using a calibration disc, clipping levels above 235 will be obvious because you will not see the bars from 235 to 255 no matter how much you adjust Contrast.

Is your projector connected directly to the player? An AV receiver can also limit the range of signals passed through it.

I am feeding the projector directly from a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player. I checked tonight, inputting PC Signal still clips, in order to not clip I have to output RGB also. Others on this forum suggest the same is true with Oppo players, and also that the Panny doesn't clip with other projectors.

I just switched to YCbCr 4:4:4 output from my PC and I noticed an immediate improvement, it looks sharper now maybe? Not sure why, but it's definitely better for real.

Thanks (I'm always surprised by the things I learn here, even after over a year of owning this PJ, it still impresses me).
post #7404 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:

If you're getting non-clipped BTB and WTW in video mode with our projector, as best I can tell you're unique. The videophile reviews of this projector suggest consistent clipping in that mode, and that's certainly my experience. I have a good Panasonic Bluray player that is not known to clip with other projectors, and I know others on this forum with Oppo Bluray players (which must surely qualify as good) have the same clipping experience I do. And yes, the clipping occurs in eco mode with contrast and brightness anywhere in the range (though you've certainly got your contrast set lower than I do or than I've seen anyone else recommend).

Hi there.
Im pretty sure these test images are proof that I can get BTB and WTW with the projector in YCbCr and video mode.

If I turn up the brightness the BTB bar at the extreme left and extreme right become visible.

As you can see here I have white information visible above 235 (the three black dots top left and bottom right. I also have BTB past the 3 white dots bottom left and top right.
I will admit the BTB is very hard to see and is slightly crushed and the whites don't go far above WTW either in video mode.

If I use the WOW checkerboard test pattern with projector in HDMI video mode I cant see the full range, but I can still see slightly above white and below black. (from memory about +4% WTW and -2% BTB)
If I switch to PC mode I can obviously see everything above white and below black but I didn't like the look of it even when calibrated.
The Intel video driver on the PC also has a HDMI full or HDMI limited mode and I am using HDMI full with YCbCr. Don't know if that makes any difference or not but Im certainly very happy with my calibration as is.
I'll have another look at a couple test images tonight after work and confirm just incase I've made some kind of error! Which is possible after several sessions of several hours doing calibration and playing reference videos.

My understanding is that using 0-255 pc mode and calibrating for 16-235 means you are introducing interpolation errors as you are stretching the source material range from its mastered 16-235 range to 0-255. Better to just stick with the source materials original luminance range in my opinion.
post #7405 of 9652 Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjicecool View Post

I never got the idea of projecting it on the black screen. Is this better than the white background

The black is just on the back of the frame. The front is matt white spandex. The black on the back stops stray light bouncing around behind off the walls and back onto the screen. The black backing also slightly improves black levels similar to using a grey screen.
The natural gain of spandex was measured somewhere between .7 and .9 from the research I did. That depends on the brand of spandex and how tightly you stretch it. Mine is stretched only slightly more than required to remove wrinkles.
You can use this material quite effectively for rear projection as it only loses 10-15% brightness through the fabric, which is why you need the black backing to capture the stray light. Note the black is just over an inch (3.5cm) behind the white because its stretched over the back of the frame, not under the white. I think having the gap between the fabrics also helps maximise the balance between screen gain (reflectance) and absorption. If the black was hard up against the white it would make it a noticeably darker screen and I believe that some light from the black would reflect back through. The spandex has a kind of luminance about it that I think is a bit of a unique property as far as projections screens go. It reminds me of the effect of rear projection screens on old CRT rear projection TVs. The image looks very plasma like with a depth and slight gloss look that you don't get from many projection surfaces.

Just remembered a website I did some research on that talks about the diffuse effect of rear projection screens and that's the effect that Spandex gives.
http://www.dnp-screens.com/DNP08/Technology/Basic-Visual/Screens/Diffusion-rear-projection.aspx
post #7406 of 9652 Old 01-21-2014, 04:30 AM

Hello everyone

I'm a new owner of this Benq w1070, bought it like 2 weeks ago. Got version with 1.07 firmware, backlit remote etc. Had no problems at all to install it and center to the screen, after few films I must admign I'm really pleased with the image quality. I can slightly see some RBE effect (specially on subtitles while I move my eyes from one side to the other) but it doesnt distract me at all. Fan noise is also no problem, since I have dedicated HT room where films are beign watched on "right" volume ;)

But there are always some buts. Im not so 100% happy with black levels on this PJ. When there is a scene with light and dark objects, everything looks fine because of contrast. But when I watch some really dark scenes, I see this projector lacking in blacks quality. Or when I watch some films in cinema aspect ratio, then those supposed to be black bars on top or bottom look just dark grey. Is there any way to improve it ? This is my first projector so I cannot compare it to any other, not sure then if blacks I get on it are typical for this class of PJ, or am I doing something wrong.

I have it set up in 100% light controlled room, with everything painted black (walls, ceiling, black carpet etc), so light bounce should be minimal.

Settings are:

brightness 51, contrast 53, lamp in eco mode, brilliant colour off, gamma 2.4.

Throw distance is 2,8m, im projecting on a wall (90" painted in white, rest is black). Would a projecting screen improve blacks ? I decided to try it out on wall first to see how does it look like, and then decide either to go for a screen or to stay like that. If screen wount improve blacks, then I see no reason for switching to screen since Im happy with the image I get (or maybe should I switch anyway for other reasons ?)

Would ND filter help here ? In theory it should by dimming the image, but I've never tested it so Im not sure what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Is there any othey way to improve it ? Im not expecting pure blacks for sure, I know its not possible to get it for that price. But still, if there is some way to tweak it, I'd love to hear it

post #7407 of 9652 Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:

I just rechecked with WOW checkerboard test patterns and I definitely get BTB and WTW with HDMI set to video mode with YCbCr.
I can in fact see way up above white in the contrast test and have to turn contrast all the way up to 65 before white clips down to white +0 on the checkerboard.
With brightness checkerboard I can see way below black until I turn brightness down to 47 where black +0 is just invisible.
When checking gamma with these settings though, gamma 2.2 actually measures as 1.9 and the closest I can get to ideal gamma is 2.1 with the projector set at 2.8.

Setting Gamma to 2.8 (2.1 measured) with these settings and using brightness and contrast checkerboards again the projector still gets down to +0 black and up to +0 white as individual tests, but the combined superwhite and superblack checkerboard I loose all black upto about +5% but contrast still hangs on to +0.
Going back and forth between Gamma, brightness and contrast I was able to get a retina burning picture.. I mean its seriously bright switching between dark and bright scenes measured at 26+ FC before the smarteco mode brings it back down to a slightly less painful 22fc!
The picture looks ok and really really POPS from the screen but it looks too much like video and not enough like film and some scenes you can clearly see the contrast is set way too high because the image gets a really hard edge and looks oversaturated.

The bottom line.. I prefer a measured gamma @ 2.2 with projector set at 2.2 and brightness at 48 with contrast at 38. (all measurements were in cinema mode and normal colour temp and brilliant colour on) This setting gives a really nice tonal balance with a really smooth film look and still has good screen pop.
Looking at my preferred settings with the WOW checkerboard brightness and contrast tests I can see all the way up to +7% for white and down to +0% for black on the individual tests and in the combined superwhite/superblack test I see upto +7% white and down to +2% black.
My settings are also a much more comfortable measured 17fc.
post #7408 of 9652 Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiater View Post

Hello everyone

I'm a new owner of this Benq w1070, bought it like 2 weeks ago. Got version with 1.07 firmware, backlit remote etc. Had no problems at all to install it and center to the screen, after few films I must admign I'm really pleased with the image quality. I can slightly see some RBE effect (specially on subtitles while I move my eyes from one side to the other) but it doesnt distract me at all. Fan noise is also no problem, since I have dedicated HT room where films are beign watched on "right" volume wink.gif
But there are always some buts. Im not so 100% happy with black levels on this PJ. When there is a scene with light and dark objects, everything looks fine because of contrast. But when I watch some really dark scenes, I see this projector lacking in blacks quality. Or when I watch some films in cinema aspect ratio, then those supposed to be black bars on top or bottom look just dark grey. Is there any way to improve it ? This is my first projector so I cannot compare it to any other, not sure then if blacks I get on it are typical for this class of PJ, or am I doing something wrong.

I have it set up in 100% light controlled room, with everything painted black (walls, ceiling, black carpet etc), so light bounce should be minimal.
Settings are:
Throw distance is 2,8m, im projecting on a wall (90" painted in white, rest is black). Would a projecting screen improve blacks ? I decided to try it out on wall first to see how does it look like, and then decide either to go for a screen or to stay like that. If screen wount improve blacks, then I see no reason for switching to screen since Im happy with the image I get (or maybe should I switch anyway for other reasons ?)
Would ND filter help here ? In theory it should by dimming the image, but I've never tested it so Im not sure what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Is there any othey way to improve it ? Im not expecting pure blacks for sure, I know its not possible to get it for that price. But still, if there is some way to tweak it, I'd love to hear it

Hi there I can see you have your contrast pushed up a bit high and the projector set at gamma 2.4 which is probably only giving you a gamma around 2 which is why your lacking black in dark scenes. Gamma 2 has pushed the black floor too high. You need to get some test discs and set contrast and brightness based on your screen and throw distance and check your gamma and get it as close to 2.2 as possible. Also make sure you running in smarteco or economy mode for 2d content.
post #7409 of 9652 Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiater View Post

Hello everyone

I'm a new owner of this Benq w1070, bought it like 2 weeks ago. Got version with 1.07 firmware, backlit remote etc. Had no problems at all to install it and center to the screen, after few films I must admign I'm really pleased with the image quality. I can slightly see some RBE effect (specially on subtitles while I move my eyes from one side to the other) but it doesnt distract me at all. Fan noise is also no problem, since I have dedicated HT room where films are beign watched on "right" volume ;)

Settings are:

One of the biggest improvements I made when I had this PJ was to make some simple masks to use when watching 'Scope format movies. I used plywood cut to size at the store and some sticky-backed velvet. Cost is negligible. You will need to make some simple sort of bracket to attach them when watching a scope movie. I found that physically removing the black bars in this way vastly improves the perceived contrast as you do not have a 'constant reminder' above and below the image of the mediocre blacks that the PJ can manage. In all but the darkest of dark scenes this made a huge subjective difference. It takes just a few seconds to take the masks down when watching a full 16:9 presentation.

post #7410 of 9652 Old 01-21-2014, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Hi there I can see you have your contrast pushed up a bit high and the projector set at gamma 2.4 which is probably only giving you a gamma around 2 which is why your lacking black in dark scenes. Gamma 2 has pushed the black floor too high. You need to get some test discs and set contrast and brightness based on your screen and throw distance and check your gamma and get it as close to 2.2 as possible. Also make sure you running in smarteco or economy mode for 2d content.

Thx for tip. Didnt put my hands on any calibration disc yet so I just used those settings: http://www.avforums.com/threads/benq-w1070-reviewer%C2%92s-recommended-best-settings.1761516/

in hope that everything will go smooth.

I tried to play with contrast and gamma, but decreasing contrast will make the whole image to grey out. My lamp is in eco mode, I see almost no difference between eco and smart eco (smart eco pumps brighter parts of the image a bit, but doesnt change anything in blacks for me).

Im looking now on images you posted earlier, and this one shows exactly this top/bottom black bar effect I was talking about:

Oblivion shots

So difference between blacks on screen and black wall is clearly visible.

And I'd love to get results like this:

or this:

Is the difference between your first image and rest just from different camera exposure, or did you took it with different PJ settings ?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page