BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 250 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthralled View Post

How is that possible via HDMI? Or you mean SBS?
Thanks for the informative reply.
Yes 1080P 3D SBS @60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

I think the projectors have a large storage capacitor to keep the fan running after accidental shutdown. I unplugged mine last night to do the firmware upgrade after resetting to factory defaults and the fan was running for a good 40secs with no power plugged in!

Since mine is not setup all the time, still testing, I have noticed after power down that the top lights stay on for about 30 seconds too. But last night the unit did not stay on that long after I pulled the plug. I was suppose to put the Blu ray player and realized I pulled the projector. A bb make be in order soon. Or I can just get a longer extension cord and plug it into my bb up front for my tv and cable box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7473 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Since mine is not setup all the time, still testing, I have noticed after power down that the top lights stay on for about 30 seconds too. But last night the unit did not stay on that long after I pulled the plug. I was suppose to put the Blu ray player and realized I pulled the projector. A bb make be in order soon. Or I can just get a longer extension cord and plug it into my bb up front for my tv and cable box.

You can use a extension power cord, but use only a heavy duty type not a lamp cord type.
Remember Safety First use a cord cover or tape it down so no one trips on it.

Rew
post #7474 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 AM

Liked: 10

I recently bought a BenQ w1070. But I'm having a problem with the projection on my screen.

My beamer is ceiling mounted, but not 100% in the middle of the screen. (Only 20cm off)

So I end up with something like this because I have to rotate the beamer a very little bit.

The left and right side are perfectly parallel and the top side is parallel with the screen.

But as you can see at the bottom I have an height difference. It is not THAT bad, but enough to bother me :)

I don't have the option to move my screen nor do I have to option to move my projector.

This could be solved using a horizontal keystone correction, but the w1070 only supports vertical keystone.

Is there software that I can run on Windows 7 that does this correction?

Thanks.

post #7475 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 1667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeast View Post

I recently bought a BenQ w1070. But I'm having a problem with the projection on my screen.

My beamer is ceiling mounted, but not 100% in the middle of the screen. (Only 20cm off)

So I end up with something like this because I have to rotate the beamer a very little bit.

The left and right side are perfectly parallel and the top side is parallel with the screen.

But as you can see at the bottom I have an height difference. It is not THAT bad, but enough to bother me :)

I don't have the option to move my screen nor do I have to option to move my projector.

This could be solved using a horizontal keystone correction, but the w1070 only supports vertical keystone.

Is there software that I can run on Windows 7 that does this correction?

Thanks.

It shows the importance, with these PJs, to get them perfectly lined up. With no horizontal shift at all, and very little vertical shift, if the PJ isn’t lined up precisely, these are the sort of problems which ensue. 

I know of no software that can correct this, and even if there was some, any form of keystoning is going to degrade the image. IDK why you can't move the PJ but that would be the best option if at all possible.

I guess it points to the limitations of a unit that sells for a very low price (relatively). Something has to go and in this case it's horizontal shift - the LCD units with masses of horizontal and vertical shift are a snap to set up.

post #7476 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It shows the importance, with these PJs, to get them perfectly lined up. With no horizontal shift at all, and very little vertical shift, if the PJ isn’t lined up precisely, these are the sort of problems which ensue. 

I know of no software that can correct this, and even if there was some, any form of keystoning is going to degrade the image. IDK why you can't move the PJ but that would be the best option if at all possible.

I guess it points to the limitations of a unit that sells for a very low price (relatively). Something has to go and in this case it's horizontal shift - the LCD units with masses of horizontal and vertical shift are a snap to set up.

Thanks for the reply!

For the mount I had to drill holes in wooden panels. I don't want to sacrifice this again.

Also I'm going to have a problem with the cables since they are 'just' long enough. 

Also I'm moving out of the house in 6-10 months, so I think I isn't worth the trouble.

I guess I'm going to live with it until then. When watching a movie, it is barely noticeable.

post #7477 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubeast View Post

Quote:

Thanks for the reply!

For the mount I had to drill holes in wooden panels. I don't want to sacrifice this again.

Also I'm going to have a problem with the cables since they are 'just' long enough. 

Also I'm moving out of the house in 6-10 months, so I think I isn't worth the trouble.

I guess I'm going to live with it until then. When watching a movie, it is barely noticeable.

All understood. When you move, it's really worth paying a lot of attention to the geometry when you re-mount the w1070. One of the things I was blown away by when I recently upgraded to an Epson 5030 was just how easy it was to install thanks to the really flexible V and H shift. I just used the mounting position (ceiling) that my w1070 had been in, but because of the different size and because the 5030 has a centrally mounted lens, this meant that the physical geometry was no longer perfect. But a flick of the horizontal shift control moved the image perfectly into place. The w1070 is a terrific PJ, IMO, for the money and, with careful setup and calibration can yield a superb result (especially for 3D) - but at the price it sells for, some things have to be left out. It's no big deal as it is quite possible to get the w1070's geometry perfect, with some effort - it just takes more time.  Good luck with the move, BTW.

post #7478 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

Just an update from the land of Vikings :-)

Still at firmware 1.05, my brand new Benq 1070, is on its way to be my best video gear I ever have have bought. I have now carefully entered Steve Withers settings, look very good!

To check my settings, I just watched these blurays:

a) The Avengers (2012) -- just fantastic vibrant and life like colours, and rich black -- a true big screen cinema experience in my living room!! The film is a big 16:9 aspect (please correct me!) - filling my 106" screen entirely!

b) Public Enemies (2009) -- this movie is indeed "coloured" in sort of sepia -- thus I could really enjoy the fantastic sharpness my Benq gives, and also again, the blacks are not at all bad, this is very good! Aspect ratio is a anamorphic 2.4 (please correct me!) giving a really old fashion big screen wide wide experinence at home!

So I am happy now, very happy now!

Tonight I will be watching the new After Earth bluray -- claimed by Sony as "mastered in 4K " - looking forward to that one.

Try watching the final battle scene of the Avengers with SVP, it will BLOW YOUR MIND.

I admit, I only ever watched it with SVP on an mkv 1080p rip (requires a super fast PC to generate all those 36 extra frames each second to make it 60, but it's worth it), not an actual Bluray, SVP hooks into PC-based Bluray software I never got working, but that would be real sweet to try (Blurays are much better IQ than rips, for the most part).
post #7479 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:

All understood. When you move, it's really worth paying a lot of attention to the geometry when you re-mount the w1070. One of the things I was blown away by when I recently upgraded to an Epson 5030 was just how easy it was to install thanks to the really flexible V and H shift. I just used the mounting position (ceiling) that my w1070 had been in, but because of the different size and because the 5030 has a centrally mounted lens, this meant that the physical geometry was no longer perfect. But a flick of the horizontal shift control moved the image perfectly into place. The w1070 is a terrific PJ, IMO, for the money and, with careful setup and calibration can yield a superb result (especially for 3D) - but at the price it sells for, some things have to be left out. It's no big deal as it is quite possible to get the w1070's geometry perfect, with some effort - it just takes more time.  Good luck with the move, BTW.

Thanks!

For when I move, I was thinking of attaching a larger square wooden block to the ceiling and mount the ceiling-mount to that wooden block.

In that case, when the geometry is off or I buy a new PJ, I just have to drill holes in the wood or replace it. No extra holes in the ceiling.

post #7480 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 10:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Try watching the final battle scene of the Avengers with SVP, it will BLOW YOUR MIND.

I admit, I only ever watched it with SVP on an mkv 1080p rip (requires a super fast PC to generate all those 36 extra frames each second to make it 60, but it's worth it), not an actual Bluray, SVP hooks into PC-based Bluray software I never got working, but that would be real sweet to try (Blurays are much better IQ than rips, for the most part).

Just curious what did you use for that? I would like to give it a try as well. (seeking to wow my wife to justify the cost of the theater).
post #7481 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

Hi, I have my pj connected with my lenovo y510 wit he nvidia 750 card. After I updated succefull the firmware to 1.08 I cand enable the 3d stereoscope mode to nvidia panel for 3d movies. When I checked the box is putting me to setup the stereoscope screen and after the pj locked to 720p frame packing and messed up the image. Before I was able to see 3d. I don't know what happened now. I quess I will try to install again the nvidia drivers. Anybody has any idea? The resolution is 1080 60 hz. Before to upgrade the firmware I was able to see 3d with this laptop.

Finally I got it to work in 3d. Was the hdmi splitter the faulty that I have behind of the yamaha receiver. Do you know any reliable without loses hdmi switch ( I have both my 3d tv and my pj connected in the output of my receiver ) ?
post #7482 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

Finally I got it to work in 3d. Was the hdmi splitter the faulty that I have behind of the yamaha receiver. Do you know any reliable without loses hdmi switch ( I have both my 3d tv and my pj connected in the output of my receiver ) ?

Ha, HDMI switch strikes again. Mine is lying pretty much useless since I bought this PJ. I'd like to know as well, if anyone has found an HDMI switch that works reliably with this PJ - 3D, mode switching, etc.

The one I have is the Monoprice 4X1 HDMI® Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) w/ 3D support.
post #7483 of 9985 Old 01-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
As a long time osx user I am not really into that smooth video arena, but maybe 2014 can throw me a fresh bone that can get me few more fps than the ordinary slow one?
post #7484 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 AM

Over in the DIY screen thread I just added my construction of some anamorphic masks.

Here's how good the W1070/W1080ST can look in anamorphic with a masking system.

Both masks in place with a bit of over exposure so you can see just how black it really is.

With proper exposure.

A really tough shot to photograph well but this is pretty close to what I saw by eye. The very slight bloom in the centre of the screen was not visible by eye.

See the nice detail in the blacks slowly blend into darkness.

Some black/white contrast shots with Teds test patterns.
Down to 16 black and up to 247 white visible with my latest calibration.
See the difference in the light absorption between the felt and the black carpet edge of the screen at the bottom!
As I said before not visible with 2.40 aspect film as the felt will never have that much light on it.

Down to 0 black (a very small step visible to -4% black but too hard to photograph better than this, if you look closely you can still see it though)
Up to 109% white.

Jriver MC19 with 12% overscan crop factor for theatre view so the menu and text fits within 2.40 aspect when browsing for movies.
kbarnes701 and ConnecTEDDD like this.
post #7485 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Over in the DIY screen thread I just added my construction of some anamorphic masks.

Very nice post. Do you have a link to your construction thread showing how you made the masks?

post #7486 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:

Very nice post. Do you have a link to your construction thread showing how you made the masks?

Here you go.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511459/120-matt-white-black-spandex-with-benq-w1080st-what-a-great-combination
post #7487 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 05:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Here you go.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511459/120-matt-white-black-spandex-with-benq-w1080st-what-a-great-combination

Thanks!

post #7488 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Where do u get the calibration images (black and white bars) is it from a disc? Where can I order one?
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #7489 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighvy76 View Post

Where do u get the calibration images (black and white bars) is it from a disc? Where can I order one?

You can buy the disc, ISO or MKV & MP4 downloads from here $15 > http://www.displaycalibrations.com/index.html
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #7490 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Both masks in place with a bit of over exposure so you can see just how black it really is.

With proper exposure.

A really tough shot to photograph well but this is pretty close to what I saw by eye. The very slight bloom in the centre of the screen was not visible by eye.

See the nice detail in the blacks slowly blend into darkness.

Some black/white contrast shots with Teds test patterns.
Down to 16 black and up to 247 white visible with my latest calibration.
See the difference in the light absorption between the felt and the black carpet edge of the screen at the bottom!
As I said before not visible with 2.40 aspect film as the felt will never have that much light on it.

Down to 0 black (a very small step visible to -4% black but too hard to photograph better than this, if you look closely you can still see it though)
Up to 109% white.

Jriver MC19 with 12% overscan crop factor for theatre view so the menu and text fits within 2.40 aspect when browsing for movies.

Very nice. I'm wondering if I can make some masking for my electric drop screen.

post #7491 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Very nice. I'm wondering if I can make some masking for my electric drop screen.

You could make the same sort of mask and attach it behind with flaps that fold behind on the edge and attach on the back edge with Velcro.
The top mask could do the same and also have a Velcro to attach at the top in the centre.

Others have used rare earth magnets built in to the mask and behind the screen. Which is probably what I will do next.
post #7492 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 1070 has firmware version 1.05 - I have 250 hours on it, and it has worked great - so I haven't bothered to do a firmware upgrade.

However - I just added a Sony Blu-Ray/SACD player. I have a handshake issue where I can't play high resolution audio (SACD) over HDMI if the projector is connected to my Receiver. I know that 1.06 firmware made a bunch of improvements to the speed of HDMI switching.

Is there anyone on this forum who has experienced a FiX to a compatibility / handshake issue over HDMI by performing a firmware upgrade? Or was the only real benefit of 1.06 HDMI switching speed?

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
post #7493 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions View Post

My 1070 has firmware version 1.05 - I have 250 hours on it, and it has worked great - so I haven't bothered to do a firmware upgrade.

However - I just added a Sony Blu-Ray/SACD player. I have a handshake issue where I can't play high resolution audio (SACD) over HDMI if the projector is connected to my Receiver. I know that 1.06 firmware made a bunch of improvements to the speed of HDMI switching.

Is there anyone on this forum who has experienced a FiX to a compatibility / handshake issue over HDMI by performing a firmware upgrade? Or was the only real benefit of 1.06 HDMI switching speed?

I went from 1.05 to 1.06 and noticed a significant improvement with hdmi handshacking.

Energy RC70 L/R | RC-LCR Center | C-R3 Surrounds | VMINI Bookshelves Surrounds | S12.3 and Dual S10.3 Subs | KRK 10s Sub | Benq w1070 pj | Elite 100" Sable Screen | SONY STR-DN1030| Sony S5100 and S3100 BDPs
post #7494 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 09:57 AM

Had an issue last night where my projector became completely unresponsive when I turned it off.  I hit the power twice and the normal "turning off, please wait" window came up and I left the house.  I came back in like a half hour and the window was still up.  The projector wouldn't respond to the remote or the keypad.  I ended up having to just unplug it, after which it did the normal cool down after a hard shut down, then started up fine.  I used it a few times since and it didn't happen again.

I have 1.08 firmware.  I think I've had it for 3 weeks or so and this is the first time anything like this has happened.  It never happened with the previous firmware (1.05).

Anyone else had this happen?

post #7495 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I got my screen up and mounted today. It took about 4 hours as I had to build a custom mounting board to support it. I'm going to get the projector done tomorrow. Just to let people know that my Elite Screen 100h dimensions are different them what is published on elite screens shop. When I just went to elite screens website the PDF shows a revision from 11/13 and has the correct dimensions of my screen. The difference is the total height and drop. So after all my math now my screen is 5 inched higher than what I figured. Now that it's up I have no problem with it. Glad you do the projector after the screen. Also I have some waves in the screen but I have read that you can keep it down for a few days or so and it will help. Also I doing this to air it out, plastic odor. Other than that I'm pleased so far for what I paid. Looking forward to getting the pj up and watching something instead of watching on a sheet.

I will post photos after completion.

post #7496 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a 106" fixed frame elite. Great screen for the $$$. It took about 3 weeks for it to settle out and hang perfectly.
Mine stunk too.
Ron

"New Member" since 2007....
post #7497 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renron View Post

I have a 106" fixed frame elite. Great screen for the $$$. It took about 3 weeks for it to settle out and hang perfectly.
Mine stunk too.
Ron

Good to know, you can't beat the price. This is a year or so to hold me over for my dedicated room.

post #7498 of 9985 Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post

Had an issue last night where my projector became completely unresponsive when I turned it off.  I hit the power twice and the normal "turning off, please wait" window came up and I left the house.  I came back in like a half hour and the window was still up.  The projector wouldn't respond to the remote or the keypad.  I ended up having to just unplug it, after which it did the normal cool down after a hard shut down, then started up fine.  I used it a few times since and it didn't happen again.

I have 1.08 firmware.  I think I've had it for 3 weeks or so and this is the first time anything like this has happened.  It never happened with the previous firmware (1.05).

Anyone else had this happen?

Sounds like some kind of chip lock up. I have also been using 1.08 and never had this problem. I don't think it has anything to do with the firmware.
post #7499 of 9985 Old 01-26-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Here you go.

Have you considered painting your walls and ceiling a dark color?  I found that this really helped the BenQ's perceived contrast levels.

post #7500 of 9985 Old 01-26-2014, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Just tried to updated to 1.08 (I updated fine to 1.07 before) and DLP proram says download complete however the LED on the projector has remained red. I understand it should go orange?

Any idea?

Thanks

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page