BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 252 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7531 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

He is using the w1080 which is short throw.

I have this benqw1070

Is there any option i need to change to make it to short throw or by default its short throw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No
post #7533 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

You can buy the disc, ISO or MKV & MP4 downloads from here $15 > http://www.displaycalibrations.com/index.html

How intuitive is this calibration tool? Do I need to have experience/knowledge and/or any additional tools in order to use this calibration software or can anyone (especially a noob) use it to probably calibrate his/her projector? I wouldn't mind paying $15 for software that works, but there's no point in me buying one if I have no idea how to properly use it...

Hello, this is a calibration disk, not a software.

It features full automated profiling with LightSpace Software for 3D LUT, or semi-automated with CalMAN/ChromaPure to measure the performance of a display or perform 1D LUT calibration.

I have posted before some minutes a long detailed reply here.

But there some additional informations at the first post of this topic.

LightSpace Software combined with Ted's LightSpace Calibration using an eeColor 3D LUT Box to save the changes; it's the only solution right now in HT world that you can profile your display/projector by using your actual consumer stand-alone bluray player as a pattern source to generate the required 10-Point (1.000 Colors) or 17-Point (4.913 Color) without the need of any external pattern generator.

90% of the HT world users, they use consumer blu-ray/media players, so running my disk from their actual source is a real advance since this is impossible right now with any other calibration solution to do this, since all the other solutions are using an external pattern generator to generate the patches and this is avoiding the errors that the players are introducing.... I'm talking about HT enviroment and not HTPC.

So this fact is making LightSpace + My Calibration Disk the best method for calibrating the whole HT video signal chain.

My reply sounds off-topic but is a quick reply to the user request. I will continue to reply to any new question to the disk delicated topic please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7534 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjicecool View Post

I have this benqw1070
Is there any option i need to change to make it to short throw or by default its short throw

Throw range is a function of the optics and internals of the projector, so you're stuck with the quasi-short throw range of your W1070, rather than the extreme short throw range of the W1080. It's like buying a rear-wheel drive car and then asking where the button is to convert it to four-wheel drive; doesn't exist.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7535 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your response. So I just pop it in my blu-ray player and I will be able to properly (or at least get close to properly) calibrate my projector, even though, I really have no prior experience with calibration (especially since this my first projector)? I am a noob at this (to a point), so I just need something this is somewhat simple to use that yields good results. I was going to use the settings that people have posted on this forum to start with and see where that takes me....
post #7536 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your response. So I just pop it in my blu-ray player and I will be able to properly (or at least get close to properly) calibrate my projector, even though, I really have no prior experience with calibration (especially since this my first projector)? I am a noob at this (to a point), so I just need something this is somewhat simple to use that yields good results. I was going to use the settings that people have posted on this forum to start with and see where that takes me....

Hello,

You can use a lot of patterns (without using meter/software) to perform a basic calibration of your display.

For example, you can set:

Brightness Pattern to set the Black Level (Brightness Control) of the Display; to prevent crushing of shadow details or raised black levels.

Contrast Pattern to set the White Level (Contrast Control) of the Display; to prevent color detail clipping up to peak white levels and above reference white level color shifts/discoloration.

Use Sharpness Pattern to prevent edge enhancement (halo/ringing effect) or soft contouring (blurring of the image details).

Use Color Clipping Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel.

Use a Grayscale Ramp to check which color temperature mode (normal/warm1/warm2 etc) of your display looks more neutral to your eyes.

You can use the Colour Reproduction Patterns to check your display's controls / various mode settings / enhancements of your display, if they introducing problems or if they are broken and you have to leave them untouched to prevent new problems. (no smooth color graduations, distortions, discoloration, clipping, banding, posterization, crushed shadow details, raised black levels etc.)

But you can't set your peak light output, perform RGB Balance of your grayscale, calibrate your Primary/Secondary Colors (Hue/Saturation/Lightness), fix your gamma levels etc. for REC.709 without a meter/software.

The truth is that by using any calibration disk you just preparing the display before start using your meter/software.

Calibration without meter/software can't be performed, with a disk you can adjust some basic controls and you will be able to prevent some problems.

For anyone who need to discus something please post it to the Display Calibration Area of the AVSForum. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
post #7537 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Hello,

You can use a lot of patterns (without using meter/software) to perform a basic calibration of your display.

For example, you can set:

Brightness Pattern to set the Black Level (Brightness Control) of the Display; to prevent crushing of shadow details or raised black levels.

Contrast Pattern to set the White Level (Contrast Control) of the Display; to prevent color detail clipping up to peak white levels and above reference white level color shifts/discoloration.

Use Sharpness Pattern to prevent edge enhancement (halo/ringing effect) or soft contouring (blurring of the image details).

Use Color Clipping Pattern to prevent clipping of each color channel.

Use a Grayscale Ramp to check which color temperature mode (normal/warm1/warm2 etc) of your display looks more neutral to your eyes.

You can use the Colour Reproduction Patterns to check your display's controls / various mode settings / enhancements of your display, if they introducing problems or if they are broken and you have to leave them untouched to prevent new problems. (no smooth color graduations, distortions, discoloration, clipping, banding, posterization, crushed shadow details, raised black levels etc.)

But you can't set your peak light output, perform RGB Balance of your grayscale, calibrate your Primary/Secondary Colors (Hue/Saturation/Lightness), fix your gamma levels etc. for REC.709 without a meter/software.

The truth is that by using any calibration disk you just preparing the display before start using your meter/software.

Calibration without meter/software can't be performed, with a disk you can adjust some basic controls and you will be able to prevent some problems.

For anyone who need to discus something please post it to the Display Calibration Area of the AVSForum. Thanks

Would you recommend the BenQ W1070 on top of Optoma's 131Xe? 

post #7538 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblebeing View Post

Would you recommend the BenQ W1070 on top of Optoma's 131Xe? 

Hello, unfortunately I have no personal experience between these 2 units. If any of these units come to my hands I will let you know my impressions wink.gif

post #7539 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 03:09 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:

How intuitive is this calibration tool? Do I need to have experience/knowledge and/or any additional tools in order to use this calibration software or can anyone (especially a noob) use it to probably calibrate his/her projector? I wouldn't mind paying $15 for software that works, but there's no point in me buying one if I have no idea how to properly use it...

To add, or perhaps simplify Teds answers that he already provided. The W1070 and W1080ST are very close to reference calibration out of the box, but can certainly be improved with proper calibration.
The keys to a good picture are brightness, contrast, gamma and colour balance. These 1st 3 key areas of brightness, contrast and gamma can be improved without any knowledge or meters and the last one, colour balance, you need a meter. (however the W1070 and W1080ST colour are close enough out of the box that most people wouldn't see the difference and you would infact need professional calibration meters to make it better)
For $15 it does way more than most calibration discs out there, but you don't need a science degree to drive it to get good results and you don't need meters to make improvements to your picture quality. (but to get the most out of it you need software and a meter)

The brightness and contrast patterns are easy enough to set and you will get pretty close using setting others have posted here without a calibration disc. But to allow for variations in peoples throw distance, screen material, screen gain, ambient light, and bulb age you need some reference material and a test disc to set specifically for your circumstances.

Teds disc does the basics very well without any other meters or software or without any great knowledge. It is the most complete solution on the market but you don't need to use all the features to get a good picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post

With which version of the firmware, if I may ask.

1080p 3D @ 60hz SBS is enabled in firmware 1.05 on the W1080ST and 1.08 on W1070.

Quote:

I have a question regarding this gentleman's thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511459/120-matt-white-black-spandex-with-benq-w1080st-what-a-great-combination

How is it possible to project that large image from a short distance, any settings needs to be changed?
I am now projecting the image from 16ft distance from the wall and 6 feet from the ground. Any help would be appreciated.

As mentioned by others its an ultra short throw W1080ST version of the W1070. Its the only ultra short throw 3D projector on the market an you can make an 80" picture from about 1.5M or roughly 5 feet.

Quote:

Hi Ted,

As mentioned above, yes, but you might need to do just a little bit of light reading and research to understand which patterns to use and how to set the projectors settings with them.
With the picture I posted I dropped the brightness control to 48 with the black and white combined test pattern getting the number 17 square to be just visible and the 16 to blend in with the background. 16 is reference video black.
Using the individual contrast and brightness images results in crushed blacks because the average picture level in those tests doesn't represent an average picture. The combined test gives the best result for average picture levels of most films.

I then used the same calibration image to set the maximum contrast with out introducing colour shift and making sure that white clipping was occurring above 235. (in my case a setting of 65 for contrast which clipped everything above 235 which is peak white for video)

However pushing the contrast that high also resulted in quite a big push in gamma, making the whole image shift brightness up to about gamma 1.9. This meant blacks were now brighter than the best black the projector could do, even though the black was still calibrated for black 16.
I then used a gamma pattern to adjust gamma. With a gamma pattern you squint until the gamma bar matches the outside area and the bar that blends the smoothest to the outside is the gamma of your picture.

In my case I was reading a Gamma of about 1.9 with contrast at 65 and I opted to reduce contrast to 55 to bring gamma back into alignment. I tried using the projector gamma settings and even at maximum gamma setting of 2.8 I was still only measuring about 2.1 and the picture had a slightly hard edge to it instead of looking smooth and film like. By dropping the contrast to 55 I was able to attain almost perfect Gamma of 2.2. Changing the projector to 2.4 gave a gamma of about 2.3 which in some circles is the perfect gamma for well mastered film, however with this projector that results in slightly crushed blacks and scenes that are slightly darker than ideal.

A gamma of 2.2 is just about the best picture you can get out of this projector while still being forgiving of some material which is mastered a bit dark or cloudy in the blacks. For some slightly cloudy black films where blacks are crushed anyway, I move the projector down to brightness 47 and this makes a significant drop in blacks down to about the right clipped level for those cloudy black films. Gamma 2.4 also works well for those situations.

Keep in mind these are my settings for my circumstances with .9 gain spandex screen with a black layer behind the white @ a 120" in a light controlled room. My playback source also goes below black and above peak white over HDMI in YUV mode which some peoples players do not.
Your mileage will vary but what works well for me is: (with W1080ST Firmware 1.05)
Cinema memory
Economic lamp
Colour Temp Normal
Brightness 48
Contrast 55
Gamma 2.2
+1 step of red (I haven't got a suitable light meter to do full calibration yet but I did a rough manual calibration of RGB with my basic light meter with colour filters, which is VERY time consuming)
post #7540 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:

As mentioned above, yes, but you might need to do just a little bit of light reading and research to understand which patterns to use and how to set the projectors settings with them.

[...]

Keep in mind these are my settings for my circumstances with .9 gain spandex screen with a black layer behind the white @ a 120" in a light controlled room. My playback source also goes below black and above peak white over HDMI in YUV mode which some peoples players do not.

WOW! Thanks for that very informative reply! And yes, I do understand that it will take some time playing around with settings and that my HT room will have a lot to do with which settings I choose as well. FWIW, I'm planning to paint my walls Gibraltar Gray from Sherwin-Williams and probably a bit darker ceiling and black carpet (with controlled ambient lighting). As I mentioned in the previous post a few pages back, I'm finishing my basement and will turn a section into a dedicated HT room. So the only - sort of unknown - is the screen, but I'm planning to go with Elite Screen 1.1 gain. I did read about folks making their own ND filter and I may go that route if it's too bright.

Either way, that's for the info!
post #7541 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM

Liked: 43
Quote:

WOW! Thanks for that very informative reply! And yes, I do understand that it will take some time playing around with settings and that my HT room will have a lot to do with which settings I choose as well. FWIW, I'm planning to paint my walls Gibraltar Gray from Sherwin-Williams and probably a bit darker ceiling and black carpet (with controlled ambient lighting). As I mentioned in the previous post a few pages back, I'm finishing my basement and will turn a section into a dedicated HT room. So the only - sort of unknown - is the screen, but I'm planning to go with Elite Screen 1.1 gain. I did read about folks making their own ND filter and I may go that route if it's too bright.

Either way, that's for the info!

No worries, sounds like you'll have a great setup there but depending on your screen size 1.1gain might be too high as you have already suggested unless its a grey screen.
Just for reference, the projector central calculator suggested I would get 22fl at .9 gain with 120" with my throw distance and that's about spot on with what I measured with my meter with projector in normal mode. That's a tad too bright in a light controlled room for 2D, so you can get a pretty good idea what will work for you based on the projector central calculator.

Also the projector is actually brighter in smarteco mode than normal mode and I use smarteco for 3D with almost the same calibration settings and the image is great.(contrast 57 brightness 49). A 1.1 gain screen is certainly useful for 3D though!
post #7542 of 9982 Old 01-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I have a question regarding this gentleman's thread

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1511459/120-matt-white-black-spandex-with-benq-w1080st-what-a-great-combination

How is it possible to project that large image from a short distance, any settings needs to be changed?
I am now projecting the image from 16ft distance from the wall and 6 feet from the ground. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Vj...not sure if this helps, I'm projecting on to a 150" screen from 14-15ft back (1070. Completely dark media room and the picture is great!
post #7543 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:

No worries, sounds like you'll have a great setup there but depending on your screen size 1.1gain might be too high as you have already suggested unless its a grey screen.
Just for reference, the projector central calculator suggested I would get 22fl at .9 gain with 120" with my throw distance and that's about spot on with what I measured with my meter with projector in normal mode. That's a tad too bright in a light controlled room for 2D, so you can get a pretty good idea what will work for you based on the projector central calculator.

Also the projector is actually brighter in smarteco mode than normal mode and I use smarteco for 3D with almost the same calibration settings and the image is great.(contrast 57 brightness 49). A 1.1 gain screen is certainly useful for 3D though!

The screen would be Max White. I can't find a gray screen or <1.0 gain screen that's affordable (under $400).

Using, the projector central calculator, I would have to get 125" screen at 1.1 gain in order to maintain ideal brightness. However, I'm also considering 110" screen, but at 1.1 gain, that does seem too bright. Looks like in order to compensate for higher brightness and not spend $900+ on the screen, the most economical solution would be to add the ND filter. And yes, while brightness would be great for 3D movies, ironically, I am not interested in those (2D only).
post #7544 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM

Liked: 11

Anyone know when the sale through Amazon will end on this?

post #7545 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
just took advantage of that Amazon deal and bought another w1070, so the one currently in my bedroom with the much older firmware I want to say 1.04 will be moved into the living room and Im hoping fingers crossed I get the one with the newer firmware and different remote for the bedroom. smile.gif

post #7546 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 12:38 PM

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post

The price on amazon fluctuates every few weeks. Between $750-$850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

just took advantage of that Amazon deal and bought another w1070, so the one currently in my bedroom with the much older firmware I want to say 1.04 will be moved into the living room and Im hoping fingers crossed I get the one with the newer firmware and different remote for the bedroom. smile.gif

I ordered off amazon 3 weeks ago and got 1.07 and much newer updated remote.

I think you should be fine!
post #7547 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post

I ordered off amazon 3 weeks ago and got 1.07 and much newer updated remote.

I think you should be fine!

awesome fingers crossed, since I will be using my harmony one remote in the living room now, having a red light up remote would be handy for the bedroom lol ^_^

post #7548 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

awesome fingers crossed, since I will be using my harmony one remote in the living room now, having a red light up remote would be handy for the bedroom lol ^_^

You can buy mine.. haha

I use harmony one remote and the benq remote is in a drawer.

On a side note..

I watched Skyfall last night my brain almost exploded with how awesome it looked and sounded! BenQ W1070 is amazing for the price.
post #7549 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Get aload of this 1070 deal I got. I tried to price match mine to Amazon thru Best Buy rite after Christmas ... but Amazon itself was out of stock and BB won't price match their vendors just Amazon itself. So found Frys also had it for $749 (same as Amazon did) but there was no Frys locally so they said (second call to BB sales dept) they couldn't match Frys to my local BB. I finally (third call and third different sales rep) got rep to discount 10 percent off BB's $799 price... so minus $79.90 ... but couldn't talk her out of waiving sales tax. But did get free in-store pickup. So total came to like $779... BUT I got $35 in "Best Buy Rewards* AND they had a deal going for two days after Christmas where if you order over $100 online for in-store pickup they sent a $15 savings code by email ... soooooo -- total outta pocket came down to like $730 after savings ... which I applied to some 3D discs. biggrin.gif

post #7550 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My warranty has lapsed and the dust particles are becoming increasingly annoying for films with darker scenes. I've perused this thread and have seen that at least one person has disassembled their unit, but how rash would doing such a thing be with little to no experience in dealing with projectors? Can anyone offer any advice?
post #7551 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Given that Fry's price is back to $999, I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon raising the price back to $875 within a day or so. FYI - the current price is the second lowest (the lowest was $749 a month ago).
post #7552 of 9982 Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 PM

Is it worth buying 3-year warranty for $60? After reading the terms on Amazon, it appears it's only 2 additional years since "the plan begins on the date you purchased your item and is inclusive of the manufacturer's warranty period."
post #7553 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:

Given that Fry's price is back to $999, I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon raising the price back to $875 within a day or so. FYI - the current price is the second lowest (the lowest was $749 a month ago).

Well that does it. I shall purchase today!

Alex Batiste likes this.
post #7554 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 05:52 AM

Liked: 13
So what's a good mount, reasonable price for this projector? I'm a noob and jumped on the Amazon deal.

Casey

post #7555 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyparsons View Post

So what's a good mount, reasonable price for this projector? I'm a noob and jumped on the Amazon deal.

worth every penny. dont go cheap on the mount or else you will have nightmare keeping it aligned

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGUNV-Precision-Universal-Projector/dp/B000TXNS6G
THe_Flash likes this.
post #7556 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:

worth every penny. dont go cheap on the mount or else you will have nightmare keeping it aligned

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGUNV-Precision-Universal-Projector/dp/B000TXNS6G

Wow that seems a little salty for a mount. Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems a little pointless to spend so much for something you will set once and never touch again...

post #7557 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM

Hi,

I downloaded both firmware upgrade instructions, from here:

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/w1070/
and here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5omnxp1vr6wyi4/15YsjCtmTd

The first one says this: "...Skip Boot loader area (32KB)"
The second one: "...Skip Boot loader area (128KB)"

Which one is true?

post #7558 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Wow that seems a little salty for a mount. Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems a little pointless to spend so much for something you will set once and never touch again...

If you have ever dealt with trying to align a projector after it gets moved. that price is nothing. I spent over an hour messing with mine over the weekend. My theater room is in the basement and my son jumping around upstairs makes the mount move.

I went cheap on the mount and it has been a nightmare

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDC0K2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I got and HATE IT!
post #7559 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:

If you have ever dealt with trying to align a projector after it gets moved. that price is nothing. I spent over an hour messing with mine over the weekend. My theater room is in the basement and my son jumping around upstairs makes the mount move.

I went cheap on the mount and it has been a nightmare

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IDC0K2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have never done anything with a projector mount. What causes yours to move? Couldn't you just tighten the bolts? How would your mount work if you never had anyone around to move it?

This is what I got and HATE IT!
post #7560 of 9982 Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

That's the same mount a bought last week and hung this past weekend. I used the the adjustment plate only and made my own projector plate. The arms that come with the unit will work but for me was overkill and too heavy/bulky.

After spending the $90 plus my own design of the plate it's worth every penny. It makes fine tuning a breeze. Also I find I do not need to tighten the set screws as the mount holds it position without them. I can't imagine sitting there and loosen screws and put your hands on the projector and moving it fraction of an inch. Then tighten the screws to find out it moved slightly. This mount was so precise.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page