BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 256 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7651 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapino View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Same here.
My LED TV's don't handle brightness uniformity (with plain-white) much better, so not really complaining.

Actually they don't handle plain-black all that well either! (Edge-lit = brighter corners even on a black image. One-up to the BenQ, then!)

The only time I (barely) notice it on the pj in regular video viewing is with the occasional plain-white subtitles. Though if you do something like browse the web (with plain white backgrounds frequently) it may be a bit distracting.

well, we watch about 90 percent of our movies with subtitles, so that's why it is so annoying to me. it is always 'in my face'. have a Epson tw7200 now to test, and while it definitely shows more contrast I don't find it that much of a difference to the Benq. Movies seem less fluid, and I notice more xtlak in 3D. If only the Benq had a more uniform brightness...

That's saying something considering the higher price of the Epson. Though as a 3LCD, at least rainbows would be invisible (if you notice them in the 1st place); though I guess convergence/sharpness may be a bit worse for it too.

Most of my evening viewing is done with subs also (to not wake the kids wink.gif and as I mention, I still barely notice it :-)

If your media player supports it, what about changing the color of them? Light-Grey instead of white? (Haven't had the need to try this myself but it may produce an improvement?)

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7652 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Tried that but it did not improve things a lot. Maybe mine was just a tad worse than normal? Could you take a picture of a movie with white subs to show me?
post #7653 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 01:18 AM

Liked: 10

Hello everybody, 

I know that you already answered 1000 times to these question that i'll ask you but there are alot of pages to search for the answers...

I need help for finding the perfect budget 3d glasses for my Benq w1070 - I found SainSonic-SSZ-200DLB which looks ok but you are the experts and that's why i'm asking you.

The second question is about a mount ceiling solution, if you can recommend any.. 

Thank you guys :) 

post #7654 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

...I'll have another look at 1080p 60Hz 3D SBS tonight. I know I did get it to work at least once but I'll confirm what settings were needed. From memory it only works in RGB mode and your video output from the player needs to be set to 60Hz. Its designed for PC use, not BD players.....

I tried again tonight and it definitely supports 1080p 60hz SBS 3D.
You need to be in RGB mode on the projector and also RGB mode on your output source (in my case RGB mode in Nvidia control panel).
You also obviously need to be in 60hz mode on your output source so the projector detects a compatible signal so that it will enable 1080p60hz SBS 3D.

I also played tomb raider in 3D SBS @ 1080p 60hz using tridef 3D and it looks great with a frame rate between 30-60FPS with the GTX760 and game settings on high. smile.gif

I found I actually liked the MADVR smooth motion on Wrath of the Titans in 3D @ 60hz because it smooths some of the 3D judder in the fast motion in that film. I would have thought that native 24p triple flash 144hz 3D would have been smoother than 24p MadVR smooth motion 3D @ 60hz (projector is probably doing double flash 120hz @60hz which is 60hz per eye vs 72hz per eye with triple flash)

Now off to do some more SVP testing.
timdafweak likes this.
post #7655 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Tried that but it did not improve things a lot. Maybe mine was just a tad worse than normal? Could you take a picture of a movie with white subs to show me?

Sure; I'll do so this evening for you.

There's always the possibility your sample was a bit worse than regular... you'll let us know!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #7656 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 05:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I tried again tonight and it definitely supports 1080p 60hz SBS 3D.
You need to be in RGB mode on the projector and also RGB mode on your output source (in my case RGB mode in Nvidia control panel).
You also obviously need to be in 60hz mode on your output source so the projector detects a compatible signal so that it will enable 1080p60hz SBS 3D.

I also played tomb raider in 3D SBS @ 1080p 60hz using tridef 3D and it looks great with a frame rate between 30-60FPS with the GTX760 and game settings on high. smile.gif

I found I actually liked the MADVR smooth motion on Wrath of the Titans in 3D @ 60hz because it smooths some of the 3D judder in the fast motion in that film. I would have thought that native 24p triple flash 144hz 3D would have been smoother than 24p MadVR smooth motion 3D @ 60hz (projector is probably doing double flash 120hz @60hz which is 60hz per eye vs 72hz per eye with triple flash)

Now off to do some more SVP testing.

PB69, thanks for your detailed posts and for looking into the 1080p SBS. From what you wrote, the crucial setting I forgot was to set the color space to RGB on the projector. I did however set it on my HTPC (via the AMD Catalyst Control Panel), all other things being the same. I will give that a shot tonight and see what I get.

I am rather stoked to read that you had a positive experience with madVR. I didn't even give it a shot, after the negativity from the Mrs towards SVP. Tonight while she works, I will do some extensive testing on my own. Stoked! Good luck on yours, and keep us informed. Your posts here are a fount of knowledge!
post #7657 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 AM

post #7658 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Quote:

Sure; I'll do so this evening for you.

There's always the possibility your sample was a bit worse than regular... you'll let us know!

I've spent some time trying to get a shot that demonstrates this on subtitles.
The closest I got was this:
zy6udyva.jpg

Not very noticeable on the subs; in person or in picture...

However, we happened to watch another show this evening which had a plain-white background: and here it's pretty obvious:
mabe5aja.jpg

Definite right-side brightness preference. (I'm table-mounted: ceiling would be the reverse).

The reason I'm not complaining (other than how much I like this pj in general and how little it costs) is because my other display devices aren't much better: here's that same shot on my new-ish LG 42" LED TV:
8erahe2u.jpg

That's perhaps even less uniform than the projector.
Worse, that LED TV isn't great on plain-black either:
vevy3ypu.jpg

Nearly a year later and I'm still a massive fan of this projector, I guess!

post #7659 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I think I read somewhere you can try to remove the lamp and put it back again.
post #7660 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

I tried that. That being said, it does look a lot less bad than it was on mine. The difference is on top in your situation, I use it ceiling mounted and this adds to the effect like you said too. Just read about the w1300. If inputlag is the same as the w1070, I think I will buy that one since reviews state it has a better lens.
post #7661 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywise666 View Post

its from this site:
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/benq-w1070-3d-dlp-projector-settings
they are nice settings,i use them.

I thought most people were using Withers' settings from this link:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/benq-w1070-reviewer%C2%92s-recommended-best-settings.1761516/

Has anyone compared both?
post #7662 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My personally calibrated 1070 has values closer to those of the S&V FWIW (for 2D). I also think the 2.2 gamma is too low, but that's more of a personal preference I suppose. The 2.2 setting gives an actual gamma closer to 2.1, whereas the 2.4 setting gives an actual gamma around 2.3.

post #7663 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayson73 View Post

I thought most people were using Withers' settings from this link:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/benq-w1070-reviewer%C2%92s-recommended-best-settings.1761516/

Has anyone compared both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

My personally calibrated 1070 has values closer to those of the S&V FWIW (for 2D). I also think the 2.2 gamma is too low, but that's more of a personal preference I suppose. The 2.2 setting gives an actual gamma closer to 2.1, whereas the 2.4 setting gives an actual gamma around 2.3.

For mine (without equipment and just by eye), the Withers settings look far better to me than the S & V (I had it running both for a while and would switch back and forth). The Withers settings seem to make a much more natural looking picture and the colors don't seem to be oversaturated, whereas with the S &V settings, I noticed some blue oversaturation, especially on some beginning scenes in the Avengers blu-ray (take a close look at the spear that Loki uses when he first arrives on earth--the blue seems like it should be bright and glowing, but the S & V settings produced banding and too much pop: it didn't glow so much as sizzle with artifacts and grossness). All that being said, I think both produce much better picture than out of the box and unless I'd compared them side-to-side, I don't think that I would've noticed. Just my, non-equipment using 2 cents.

Also, on Gamma, I used to really like a darker gamma, but I much prefer the details that come out when you set it to 2.2 instead of 2.4 That's more my personal preference. And, as these may have variances in individual units: your mileage may vary. (I also don't seem to have the major lighting inconsistencies that others report, or that I've noticed anyway.)

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, and 4 Def Tech ProMonitor 800s.
post #7664 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Hey all, probably a newby question here but I've searched every place both on here and Google and haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

If I ditch the whole 3D thing and just use this projector for normal gaming, will it do 2D at 144hz? In the nVidia control panel I only have an option for 60hz and heard rumors that projectors can only do 60hz due to an HDMI limitation?
post #7665 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Day View Post

Hey all, probably a newby question here but I've searched every place both on here and Google and haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

If I ditch the whole 3D thing and just use this projector for normal gaming, will it do 2D at 144hz? In the nVidia control panel I only have an option for 60hz and heard rumors that projectors can only do 60hz due to an HDMI limitation?
Unless Benq changes things with a firmware update you won't get more than 60hz. I tried custom resolutions and timings upto 144hz and could only get anything less than 60hz working.
post #7666 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Well my second w1070 came in yesterday, got it up and I have the new remote but Im on firmware 1.06, now to break it in smile.gif

So far I have noticed that the fan is a lot quieter then my older w1070 even with high altitude cooling turned on its quieter, so I wonder if they improved the fan or reduced the RPMs...

post #7667 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Day View Post

Quote:

Unless Benq changes things with a firmware update you won't get more than 60hz. I tried custom resolutions and timings upto 144hz and could only get anything less than 60hz working.

This is true at 1920x1080, you will not get anything higher than 60hz to work, I tried as well.  But at 1280x720 I got it to work at 120hz interlaced.  But it did register on the projector info menu as 1280x800 @ 120hz.  Although it did display a picture, it did not fill the screen and I'm not sure if this could be resolved with aspect ratio settings or not.

I should also mention this is on 1.08 firmware.

The way to do it is set up a custom resolution in the "customize" button in the Nvidia control panel.

post #7668 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdafweak View Post

PB69, thanks for your detailed posts and for looking into the 1080p SBS. From what you wrote, the crucial setting I forgot was to set the color space to RGB on the projector. I did however set it on my HTPC (via the AMD Catalyst Control Panel), all other things being the same. I will give that a shot tonight and see what I get.

I am rather stoked to read that you had a positive experience with madVR. I didn't even give it a shot, after the negativity from the Mrs towards SVP. Tonight while she works, I will do some extensive testing on my own. Stoked! Good luck on yours, and keep us informed. Your posts here are a fount of knowledge!

I couldn't get SVP to work smoothly with my FullHD SBS 3D BD rips because 3840x1080 @ 60hz was too much for my CPU with SVP running. It did work if I set it to H-SBS but the picture was noticeably lower res with less detail on that mode. Unfortunately the Benq wont accept 48hz SBS 3D so SVP seems like a no go for 3D. I'll have another play tonight with 2D 24>60 SVP and see how I go.

Also remember with MadVR, that it won't do anything to the picture unless you have set the GPU display res to 60hz.
So far I think MadVR smooth motion at 60hz is the best option for smoothing 3D with fast action films but I prefer native 24p with 2D and most 3D non-action films.

From some more research I did, it seems that the Benq W1070/1080ST (and other consumer grade single chip DLP projectors) display 24p 2D material at 48hz to eliminate flicker. This is unconfirmed and just speculation that I found on another site.
I can get into service mode on my projector so I'm going to have a poke around while playing some 2D and 3D 24p material tonight and see what else I can uncover.
timdafweak likes this.
post #7669 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

okay this may be a silly question due to the cost involved but since the projector has the option has anyone tried this projector with an anamorphic lens?
hagsi likes this.

post #7670 of 9995 Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 PM

Ok, I did a search on FW1.08 and after reading 15mins, I do not see what changes in 1.08? Can someone post what new in 1.08 please? Thanks so much.
post #7671 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoholic View Post

Ok, I did a search on FW1.08 and after reading 15mins, I do not see what changes in 1.08? Can someone post what new in 1.08 please? Thanks so much.

Firmware Changelog History of Benq W1070

Firmware 1.03

Problem-1- To improve the flickering when smart ECO mode + dynamic setting
Problem-2- To add “Background” color in OSD

Firmware 1.04

Problem-1- When at low temperature environment, fan oil would become thickened, cause rotational speed of
fan can’t reach target then shut down.
Problem-2- Keystone bug: When playing 3D (Frame packing), and then switch to 2D, and keystone value
can’t be kept.

Firmware 1.05

Problem-1- ISF setting cannot be saved
Problem-2- compatibility problem for some unique 3D DVD players(Philips)
Problem-3- OSD Swedish language of ”on& off” wrong translation

Firmware 1.06

Fixes:
-1- Hg bridge problem symptom: can’t turn on a projector, but NDF after transportation; few cases found in BQC.
There is Hg (Mercury) in a lamp bulb. Whenever the liquid mercury make the Short-circuit of electrodes of the lamp, the unit can’t
be turn on. To change the cooling status and lamp ignition behavior can make mercury condense at different locations of a bulb.
Due to Hg (Mercury) changing the location in lamp bulbs during transportation, it will be NDF in ASP.
-2- To improve power-on while system initializing
-3- To improve Philips DVD compatibility issue(BQC)
-4- Add 3D format as appendix
-5- Adjust Audio Curve for BQjp
-6- Japanese OSD correction for Cool and Warm (BQjp)
-7-To enhance HDMI searching speed
-8- To update RC code for new remote RCV011
-9- To modify the gain value to improve HDMI signal searching ability
-10- To add model name W1250 in Factory OSD (only W1070)

Added support for 3D formats:
1280x720p@59/94/60 Hz -- SBS added
1280x720p@50Hz - SBS added
1920x1080p@23.98/24Hz - SBS added
1920x1080p@59.94/60Hz - Top Bottom - added
1920x1080p@50Hz - Top Bottom - added

Firmware 1.07

- ISF Night setting can’t be keep after 2D->3D timing changed
- To keep lamp hour after “reset all setting in USE OSD”
- To improve the 32 gray level via PS3 HDMI
- Modify picture mode of “power off” icon
- Modify HSG setting in No signal condition

Firmware 1.08

- Noise improvement / 1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal.
- Add 3D support timing: 1080p 60Hz SBS

W1080ST Version 1.03 = W1070 Version 1.06
W1080ST Version 1.04 = W1070 Version 1.07
W1080ST Version 1.05 = W1070 Version 1.08
(Do not load W1080ST with W1070 firmware!!!! The changelogs are the same but firmware IS NOT compatible between different projector models)

All current versions of W1070 Firmware

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5omnxp1vr6wyi4/e8_HLKrQUV/Firmware%20Files

or

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1070/ Username: username Password: password

Latest 2 versions of W1080ST Firmware

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1080ST/ Username: username Password: password

Service Manuals

https://docs.google.com/folderview?pli=1&docId=0B_xTFybwtlbvTHFqclRLU3pBNlk&id=0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ

Useful Test Patterns - Username: username Password: password

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/Tests/Main_HD/

post #7672 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks!!
post #7673 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM

Hi Daniel

I have been looking for an answer regarding the use of a anamorphic lens with W1070. Hopefully someone here may have tried it.
post #7674 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

okay this may be a silly question due to the cost involved but since the projector has the option has anyone tried this projector with an anamorphic lens?

Putting a $2000-3000 anamorphic lens on an $800 projector would seem a silly thing to do. You realize you would also need a new 2.35:1 screen for this to work.

That said there are DIY anamorphic lens out there but they are mediocre at best.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7675 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Putting a $2000-3000 anamorphic lens on an $800 projector would seem a silly thing to do. You realize you would also need a new 2.35:1 screen for this to work.

That said there are DIY anamorphic lens out there but they are mediocre at best.

I am aware of the cost as I mentioned such but some of us might want to work our way up to a better projector but figured why not if we had the chance to buy a second hand lens ($800 to 1400) why not use it for the current BenQ so all I am looking for is people who have tried this and maybe post some screens of it.
hagsi likes this.

post #7676 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I was just commenting on how unrealistic this is - however if you manage to accomplish this I'd be very interested in seeing your end product.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7677 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Firmware 1.03

Problem-1- To improve the flickering when smart ECO mode + dynamic setting
Problem-2- To add “Background” color in OSD

Firmware 1.04

Problem-1- When at low temperature environment, fan oil would become thickened, cause rotational speed of
fan can’t reach target then shut down.
Problem-2- Keystone bug: When playing 3D (Frame packing), and then switch to 2D, and keystone value
can’t be kept.

Firmware 1.05

Problem-1- ISF setting cannot be saved
Problem-2- compatibility problem for some unique 3D DVD players(Philips)
Problem-3- OSD Swedish language of ”on& off” wrong translation

Firmware 1.06

Fixes:
-1- Hg bridge problem symptom: can’t turn on a projector, but NDF after transportation; few cases found in BQC.
There is Hg (Mercury) in a lamp bulb. Whenever the liquid mercury make the Short-circuit of electrodes of the lamp, the unit can’t
be turn on. To change the cooling status and lamp ignition behavior can make mercury condense at different locations of a bulb.
Due to Hg (Mercury) changing the location in lamp bulbs during transportation, it will be NDF in ASP.
-2- To improve power-on while system initializing
-3- To improve Philips DVD compatibility issue(BQC)
-4- Add 3D format as appendix
-5- Adjust Audio Curve for BQjp
-6- Japanese OSD correction for Cool and Warm (BQjp)
-7-To enhance HDMI searching speed
-8- To update RC code for new remote RCV011
-9- To modify the gain value to improve HDMI signal searching ability
-10- To add model name W1250 in Factory OSD (only W1070)

Added support for 3D formats:
1280x720p@59/94/60 Hz -- SBS added
1280x720p@50Hz - SBS added
1920x1080p@23.98/24Hz - SBS added
1920x1080p@59.94/60Hz - Top Bottom - added
1920x1080p@50Hz - Top Bottom - added

Firmware 1.07

- ISF Night setting can’t be keep after 2D->3D timing changed
- To keep lamp hour after “reset all setting in USE OSD”
- To improve the 32 gray level via PS3 HDMI
- Modify picture mode of “power off” icon
- Modify HSG setting in No signal condition

Firmware 1.08

- Noise improvement / 1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal.
- Add 3D support timing: 1080p 60Hz SBS

W1080ST Version 1.03 = W1070 Version 1.06
W1080ST Version 1.04 = W1070 Version 1.07
W1080ST Version 1.05 = W1070 Version 1.08
(Do not load W1080ST with W1070 firmware!!!! The changelogs are the same but firmware IS NOT compatible between different projector models)

All current versions of W1070 Firmware

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5omnxp1vr6wyi4/e8_HLKrQUV/Firmware%20Files

or

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1070/ Username: username Password: password

Latest 2 versions of W1080ST Firmware

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1080ST/ Username: username Password: password

Service Manuals

https://docs.google.com/folderview?pli=1&docId=0B_xTFybwtlbvTHFqclRLU3pBNlk&id=0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ

Useful Test Patterns - Username: username Password: password

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/Tests/Main_HD/

Awesome. Thanks dude.
post #7678 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM

I have this projector and when I watch tv (1080i) on this projector, the images look very pixelated and unfocused when seeing a large image of say a football game, but it appears clear when zoomed up on the players. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix it if possible? Thanks. I have tried adjusting the focus and it still looks pixelated. Any help please!!!!
post #7679 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 12:50 PM

I've downloaded the 1.08 firmware, can someone point me to a post that explains how to flash it?
post #7680 of 9995 Old 02-05-2014, 01:05 PM

Before I break down and cry like a baby.... Can someone give me some guidance on a Peerless spyder install on the bottom of my W1070? This mount is the PPA from amazon. Here is a pic:

This is like rubics cube stuff..... I cannot find a video and the instructions are really poor.

Thanks!

Ted
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page