BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 260 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7771 of 9985 Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello friends!

Does anyone try to connect Intel NUC D54250WYK with this projector?

I have an issue with connecting NUC with Benq w1070 projector via HDMI cable (v1.4).
When I connect them with HDMI cable the image on screen is in green color. At the same time, projector's menu is in normal colors. Here is a links with photos of "green screen":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1267.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1268.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1269.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7772 of 9985 Old 02-09-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

You will need to force the appleTV and PS3 to output at 60hz and in RGB mode to get the projector to recognise the signal. The projector will also need to be in RGB mode.
How do I accomplish that last part? Getting the projector into RGB mode?

Thanks!
post #7773 of 9985 Old 02-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

MIne too. Top right is very soft compared to the rest

This is a known issue and it sounds like you need to move the location of your projector. I'm sorry to say there is no other option to fix this. eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Long story short: The 1070 / 1080 family of projectors has one setting for zoom that allows you to get a clear image from edge to edge cool.gif

1) Set the ZOOM to the smallest size the image can display.
2) Move the projector so the image fills the screen.
3) focus.

This is the ONLY setting the optics can support for a clear image. For more info, search my prior posts.
mishari84 likes this.
post #7774 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Quote:

Very nice thanks for the detailed explanation with pics!
Do you notice and chromatic aberration (CA) colour fringing towards the edges of the screen? I believe the lens doesnt have CA coatings is that correct?
If so is it noticeable watching films?

Let me start out by saying that my configuration is not optimum by any means. My throw ratio is 2.35 (lens distance from screen / height of screen) which as you probably know, is below the 2.5 minumum (3.0 optimal) stated by Panamorph. But my personal opinion on screen size is that bigger is better - I strive for total immersion and an Ultrawide 2.35:1 display. I'm pushing well outside the optimal limits of the lens to achieve this. I have a 115" Elite Lunette Curved screen (image 45" tall) with a lens distance of 106". I could have improved the result by going with a screen height of 35"-40", but that would not produce the cinematic experience I was looking for.

You are correct about the lens not having CA coatings. The CA towards the edges of the screen are significant in my setup - obvious with test patterns, grids and the like. When watching films for the experience, and not to critically analyze or obsess the technical aspects of the setup, my experience is the CA is rarely noticed (if at all) by me or anyone else watching the movie.

I'm a real stickler for detail, a tweeker at heart, but honestly CA doesn't impact my enjoyment of the movie. To be honest, I am more influenced by the pincushion effect given my short throw ratio (not a fault of the lens) than I am the CA. I'm hoping in time I'll be able to recreate the theater in a much larger space - which will improve upon these issues.

I wrote a shader to correct CA with the Cinevista (or any others, it's programmable) and unfortunately a deal fell through before I could get it to market. If I ever do get the time to make it work and feel generous enough to release it to the Gen pop for free, I will let you know. Unfortunately I have too many projects on my plate right now. If I had my own lens it would be a different story, I would definitely have had it working by now, but the Cinevista I was supposed to get never materialized, so now there is definitely little reason for me to work on it other than pure charity, and if I'm inclined to buy an a-lens, it will probably be the 480 with the CA correction built in.

If you want the shader, you can ask your supplier and see what they say. If enough people bought this lens and want it, I could easily be induced to provide one free of charge to the end user if the terms were right. But as I said, i had a contract already and it fell though so there's no chance in hell I'm giving it away for free to benefit some corporation.
post #7775 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post

How do I accomplish that last part? Getting the projector into RGB mode?

Thanks!

Go into "system setup advanced" > "HDMI Settings" > change "HDMI Format" to PC signal
post #7776 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by newchel View Post

Hello friends!
Does anyone try to connect Intel NUC D54250WYK with this projector?
I have an issue with connecting NUC with Benq w1070 projector via HDMI cable (v1.4).

When I connect them with HDMI cable the image on screen is in green color. At the same time, projector's menu is in normal colors. Here is a links with photos of "green screen":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1267.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1268.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1269.jpg
I'm using the i3-3217U DC3217IYE version without any issues.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #7777 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 AM

I have two Intel NUC D54250WYK and same issue on both devices...
Recently I read about such problems and now I think that this is handshake or HDCP problem... That means, it is hardware problem and it could be solved with NUC bios or projector firmware update...
Or some good advice from forum member =) Support of Intel and Benq keep silence till now.

post #7778 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidd View Post

So basically the zoom is off? Pardon the ignorance, but I haven't hook up my projector yet rolleyes.gif
post #7779 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

You wouldn't normally use SVP frame interpolation and MadVR frame smoothing together. SVP also needs ffdshow decoding which is included with Jriver.
You wouldn't use mediabrowser with Jriver as Jriver already has the same functionality built in.
I've been playing with jriver that last couple days and like what it offers with features and audio wise. I have not paid much attention to video yet. All I did with video was set it to Red October HQ and of course it selected MadVR for me. Do you think jriver is all I need and is it better than svp for picture quality? Thanks.
post #7780 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Just a heads up TrueDepth is doing a contest were you can win a few pairs of your choice of 3d glasses and some 3d blurays, I have been using their glasses for a while now and love them and their customer service is excellent, so yeah if you want to enter here is a link.

http://truedepth3d.com/~cd52f9119b4da30

post #7781 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

This is a known issue and it sounds like you need to move the location of your projector. I'm sorry to say there is no other option to fix this. eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Long story short: The 1070 / 1080 family of projectors has one setting for zoom that allows you to get a clear image from edge to edge cool.gif

2) Move the projector so the image fills the screen.
3) focus.

This is the ONLY setting the optics can support for a clear image. For more info, search my prior posts.

I could have sworn in your prior posts you observed that perfect focus could only be attained by setting the zoom to the *largest* size image, in other words locating the projector as close to the screen as possible. Is that what you meant? I have my projector at the farthest distance from the screen possible, in other words zooming to the smallest image possible, and one trade-off to that location for me is that I cannot maintain perfect focus across the screen.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7782 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

I could have sworn in your prior posts you observed that perfect focus could only be attained by setting the zoom to the *largest* size image, in other words locating the projector as close to the screen as possible. Is that what you meant? I have my projector at the farthest distance from the screen possible, in other words zooming to the smallest image possible, and one trade-off to that location for me is that I cannot maintain perfect focus across the screen.

Whoops!!! That is correct.. Sorry, my mind was swiss cheesed from Objective-c coding.
post #7783 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Go into "system setup advanced" > "HDMI Settings" > change "HDMI Format" to PC signal

Finally got a chance to try HSBS at 60Hz this weekend. We did not enjoy the performance much at all. The picture quality using RGB 4:4:4 is decidedly inferior to the YUV 4:4:4. Juddering was quite noticeable as well. Ah well, it is good to have tried. It is back to watching them at 24Hz - glad that PowerDVD takes care of changing resolutions automatically.

Thanks for your help PB69!
post #7784 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

That wouldn't fix my issue, and perhaps the person who commented on my post did not understand what I was attempting to convey. There is actually a swirling motion in my top right image. I'd equate it to heat coming off a grill or cement, and how viewing a landscape through that heat distorts it. I'm wondering if it isn't the initial heat from inside the projector causing this, as the issue does go away after about 15min. of use.
post #7785 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

I've seen an image like that in posts from about 3 months ago. I believe it's from an issue with your bulb. Just wondering, how many hours do you have on your projector and what lamp setting do you run it on?
post #7786 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have almost 900hrs on the bulb, and typically run in Economic mode.
post #7787 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoholic View Post

I've been playing with jriver that last couple days and like what it offers with features and audio wise. I have not paid much attention to video yet. All I did with video was set it to Red October HQ and of course it selected MadVR for me. Do you think jriver is all I need and is it better than svp for picture quality? Thanks.

As I said previously, I couldn't get 24p with SVP @ 60hz to look better than native 24p @24hz. So with our projectors I cant see the difference with 2d material. So Jriver MC19 with MadVR should be all you need to get the best 2D picture.
3D is another matter though and depends whether you feeding it SBS 3D or native framepacked 3d.

As someone above just noted there is a bit more frame judder with SBS 3D compared with native framepacked 3D, even at 24p/24hz, so using SVP or MADVR smooth motion with 3D makes more sense to convert 24p/60hz.
MadVR Smooth motion doesn't need much CPU or GPU but SVP needs significant GPU power and my GTX760 cant handle 3d SBS SVP 24>60. So I think in the end just using MadVR smooth motion is a better compromise when you need to remove frame judder if you want to run 24p 3D SBS material at 60hz.
post #7788 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I have almost 900hrs on the bulb, and typically run in Economic mode.

The replacement should be covered under warranty. It may be worth it to search back in the thread history to see the results of other members.
post #7789 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM

Liked: 16
^^ awesome. Thanks for a detail explanation. I think I am good with jriver with MadVR built in. Funny it all started here by you mentioning jriver mc19 for picture quality. I downloaded it and like it a lot for its audio quality and features which I care more than video. For video, I just set it for Red Oct HQ- that's it. Have not done anything else. Didn't realize there are so much more one can do with jriver. Thanks again.
post #7790 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassoholic View Post

^^ awesome. Thanks for a detail explanation. I think I am good with jriver with MadVR built in. Funny it all started here by you mentioning jriver mc19 for picture quality. I downloaded it and like it a lot for its audio quality and features which I care more than video. For video, I just set it for Red Oct HQ- that's it. Have not done anything else. Didn't realize there are so much more one can do with jriver. Thanks again.

Yes Im an Audio guy first and video is secondary to me too. But the out of box quality for video and the theatre view is pretty damn good. Its the tweakability of audio that's the real draw card for me, being able to do bit perfect audio reproduction from multiple sources and file types including SACD ISO's. Nothing else comes close.
post #7791 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Whoops!!! That is correct.. Sorry, my mind was swiss cheesed from Objective-c coding.

So which is it? Zoom all the way in and scoot the projector closer, or zoom all the out and move the projector away? Sorry, I am just planning on mounting it tomorrow and I don't want to redo it!

post #7792 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post

So which is it? Zoom all the way in and scoot the projector closer, or zoom all the out and move the projector away? Sorry, I am just planning on mounting it tomorrow and I don't want to redo it!

I agree with vidkidd, the best focused image I got was max zoom (biggest picture) and shorter throw.  Keep in mind that if your screen is smaller than 110" or so this is getting very bright to use in a totally light controlled room.  Max zoom also gives you the most lumens and decreased contrast.  I find the black bars on top and bottom of a 2d movie to be grey enough to be annoying with max zoom on a 120" screen in total darkness, even on eco mode.

Also I found the black bars just fine if I moved the projector back so I was using about 3/4 zoom for a 120" screen.  The picture was still quite focused.  FYI this is only a difference of 7" of throw.  However I ended up moving it closer with max zoom because I need the extra lumens for 3d.

post #7793 of 9985 Old 02-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Liked: 13
Hi all,

So interesting issue has just occurred with my projector, it seems HDMI Port 1 has failed, at first I suspected it was my Denon Receiver but after changing to HDMI Port 2 it all works again, the signal on HDMI Port one cuts in and out and at times the Projector says No Signal.

Seems strange because it's been working fine for the past year and I haven't modified my setup in any way, any ideas or anyone else seen this problem? Cheers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk Pro
post #7794 of 9985 Old 02-11-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner353 View Post

Hi all,

So interesting issue has just occurred with my projector, it seems HDMI Port 1 has failed, at first I suspected it was my Denon Receiver but after changing to HDMI Port 2 it all works again, the signal on HDMI Port one cuts in and out and at times the Projector says No Signal.

Seems strange because it's been working fine for the past year and I haven't modified my setup in any way, any ideas or anyone else seen this problem? Cheers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk Pro

The early 1070's had poor HDMI ports that were later changed. I would suggest changing your cable and try again. If it it cutting in and out it seems like a connection issue. Try another cable and be very careful in seating the cable.
post #7795 of 9985 Old 02-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint723 View Post

I agree with vidkidd, the best focused image I got was max zoom (biggest picture) and shorter throw.  Keep in mind that if your screen is smaller than 110" or so this is getting very bright to use in a totally light controlled room.  Max zoom also gives you the most lumens and decreased contrast.  I find the black bars on top and bottom of a 2d movie to be grey enough to be annoying with max zoom on a 120" screen in total darkness, even on eco mode.

Also I found the black bars just fine if I moved the projector back so I was using about 3/4 zoom for a 120" screen.  The picture was still quite focused.  FYI this is only a difference of 7" of throw.  However I ended up moving it closer with max zoom because I need the extra lumens for 3d.

Wow this is all very disappointing. I am using the projector in a small spare bedroom. Light will be fairly controlled during the day, but obviously there wont be any at night. So it sound like I need to choose between a focused image, or a better image? To a newb like me, a brighter image and decreased contrast don't go hand in hand.

post #7796 of 9985 Old 02-11-2014, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Max zoom.. sorry for the brain fart. rolleyes.gif
post #7797 of 9985 Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
okay so I got a cheap wide angle lens just to see its overall effect, it kept the picture sharp but I did have color breakup around the edges and a slight curve to the picture was introduced but again this is mainly from the wide angle lens I picked, as others suggested look for one around .8x anything wider just bends the image to much but at the same time .8x wont give that much more of a larger image so Im thinking overall it may simply not be worth it unless you want another 6" (width not diagnal) ruffly of image.

post #7798 of 9985 Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Wow this is all very disappointing. I am using the projector in a small spare bedroom. Light will be fairly controlled during the day, but obviously there wont be any at night. So it sound like I need to choose between a focused image, or a better image? To a newb like me, a brighter image and decreased contrast don't go hand in hand.

To be fair, the laws of physics apply to every projector--you always have to choose between a brighter image (desirable for 3D, not necessarily for 2D) and better contrast. In the case of this projector, perfect focus seems to require positioning it close to the screen, but lots of us, including me, position it far from the screen and find the performance to still be great. There are various benefits to getting it farther from the screen--in addition to better contrast, you get it out of your peripheral vision.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7799 of 9985 Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The early 1070's had poor HDMI ports that were later changed. .

The Problem is the Rear panel that isn't perfect parallel with the Input Board so that the HDMI1 Plug won't get in the full length.

An easy fix at the Plug with a knife.
post #7800 of 9985 Old 02-11-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

To be fair, the laws of physics apply to every projector--you always have to choose between a brighter image (desirable for 3D, not necessarily for 2D) and better contrast. In the case of this projector, perfect focus seems to require positioning it close to the screen, but lots of us, including me, position it far from the screen and find the performance to still be great. There are various benefits to getting it farther from the screen--in addition to better contrast, you get it out of your peripheral vision.

What is considered "close"? My room is small, so I was planning on mounting the projector somewhere in the 8'-9' range. Is that close?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page