BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 261 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7801 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post

What is considered "close"? My room is small, so I was planning on mounting the projector somewhere in the 8'-9' range. Is that close?

It depends on how large an image you're projecting. If you project a 100" diagonal 16:9 image, then the closest you can mount the projector is 8'4" from the screen. There are several calculators out there, e.g. the one at Projector Central, one on the Benq site, etc. From 8', the largest image this projector can throw is 96" diagonal, the smallest is 73". From 9', it's 83"-108". But you can play around with the calculator yourself here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

It depends on how large an image you're projecting. If you project a 100" diagonal 16:9 image, then the closest you can mount the projector is 8'4" from the screen. There are several calculators out there, e.g. the one at Projector Central, one on the Benq site, etc. From 8', the largest image this projector can throw is 96" diagonal, the smallest is 73". From 9', it's 83"-108". But you can play around with the calculator yourself here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm

I plan on going with a 80"-90" screen. Where should I mount the projector?
post #7803 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:

I plan on going with a 80"-90" screen. Where should I mount the projector?

At 80" screen size, the closest you can mount is 6'8". You never want to mount at the absolute max, because then you have no fine-tuning capability. So if you want optimal focus, maybe mount around 7" from the screen. At 90" screen size, the closest you can mount is 7'6". You can play with the calculator yourself, though.

But there may be other reasons to mount it farther back, including getting the projector out of your peripheral vision or because that's where your ceiling joists are located. And note that in a light-controlled room, this projector will be very bright at such small screen sizes, all the more so if mounted so close, so in addition to using Eco mode, you may end up jury-rigging up a filter to put in front of the lens, as some on this forum have done.

EDIT: The brightness will be awesome for 3D, though, if that's something you care about.

Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7804 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

At 80" screen size, the closest you can mount is 6'8". You never want to mount at the absolute max, because then you have no fine-tuning capability. So if you want optimal focus, maybe mount around 7" from the screen. At 90" screen size, the closest you can mount is 7'6". You can play with the calculator yourself, though.

But there may be other reasons to mount it farther back, including getting the projector out of your peripheral vision or because that's where your ceiling joists are located. And note that in a light-controlled room, this projector will be very bright at such small screen sizes, all the more so if mounted so close, so in addition to using Eco mode, you may end up jury-rigging up a filter to put in front of the lens, as some on this forum have done.

EDIT: The brightness will be awesome for 3D, though, if that's something you care about.

As someone who watches this projector in a blue-walled room that is not light controlled (though it gets plenty dark at night), this projector allows my 82" screen to be plenty bright ALL DAY and your eyes adjust in the evening (hopefully this doesn't give away what I spend all day Saturday doing). I'm very impressed and frankly in love with this little guy of a projector. He's a champ and my new second-best friend (in case my girlfriend finds this...wink.gif).
THE BIG SITT likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, and 4 Def Tech ProMonitor 800s.
post #7805 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Using the calculator, mounting the projector at 8' and having the zoom set halfway at 1.15 would give me an 85" screen. How would this setup look in a dark room? Are the adverse effects really all that noticeable?

post #7806 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Using the calculator, mounting the projector at 8' and having the zoom set halfway at 1.15 would give me an 85" screen. How would this setup look in a dark room? Are the adverse effects really all that noticeable?

Before you mount, just use the projector on a coffee table/chair/etc. and play around with different locations.

Some people argue that the midpoint is undesirable because you're getting the worst of all worlds in terms of brightness and contrast, because they don't have a linear relationship to distance. But honestly, they don't change that much, and will be reasonable anywhere in the mounting range. As for focus, it seems to vary a bit by individual unit, and how much you care about it will depend in part on whether you use it to project content like text versus just movies and TV. Personally, getting the projector out of your peripheral vision is also worth a lot, seeing it hanging there in a darkened room can be pretty distracting.

But the main thing to keep in mind is that whatever you decide, you are getting a fantastic picture that will blow away what you could have gotten for a similar, and even significantly higher, budget just a few years ago.

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7807 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Do
Quote:

Before you mount, just use the projector on a coffee table/chair/etc. and play around with different locations.

Some people argue that the midpoint is undesirable because you're getting the worst of all worlds in terms of brightness and contrast, because they don't have a linear relationship to distance. But honestly, they don't change that much, and will be reasonable anywhere in the mounting range. As for focus, it seems to vary a bit by individual unit, and how much you care about it will depend in part on whether you use it to project content like text versus just movies and TV. Personally, getting the projector out of your peripheral vision is also worth a lot, seeing it hanging there in a darkened room can be pretty distracting.

But the main thing to keep in mind is that whatever you decide, you are getting a fantastic picture that will blow away what you could have gotten for a similar, and even significantly higher, budget just a few years ago.

Doing the whole table setup to test it is very dofficult, because the room is so small that the couch is where a table would need to go. Unless I just held the darn thing. I'm leaning more towards zooming out and taking the hit in brightness. The room won't be used much during the day. Plus I plan on hanging some blackout curtains.
post #7808 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Do
Doing the whole table setup to test it is very dofficult, because the room is so small that the couch is where a table would need to go. Unless I just held the darn thing. I'm leaning more towards zooming out and taking the hit in brightness. The room won't be used much during the day. Plus I plan on hanging some blackout curtains.

Unless you're planning on doing a lot of 3D, reduced brightness is a good thing--this is an extremely bright projector, especially at such small image sizes. So hanging the projector farther from the screen gets you reduced brightness and better contrast, at the trade-off of a little less even focus across the screen. That was my trade-off, and I'm very happy with my decision.

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7809 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Do

I think one of the things that people on here don't quite mention is that the brightness in dark rooms is comparable to an LED TV, and is therefore "too bright" for a projector. However, if you're used to an LED TV (like I am), the image isn't too bright for most of my usage, and got a lot more comfortable as the bulb settled in on hours. The only times I really notice the brightness is actually in the reduced contrast of dark scenes on Scope (2.35:1) movies--and if you're not too lazy you could make your own masking for that. Other than that, I'm more than happy with how it looks in everyday usage. I also use it for normal TV viewing and gaming and Netflix as well as movies, so it fits all of my needs better than I thought would be possible for this budget.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, and 4 Def Tech ProMonitor 800s.
post #7810 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post

I think one of the things that people on here don't quite mention is that the brightness in dark rooms is comparable to an LED TV, and is therefore "too bright" for a projector. However, if you're used to an LED TV (like I am), the image isn't too bright for most of my usage, and got a lot more comfortable as the bulb settled in on hours. The only times I really notice the brightness is actually in the reduced contrast of dark scenes on Scope (2.35:1) movies--and if you're not too lazy you could make your own masking for that. Other than that, I'm more than happy with how it looks in everyday usage. I also use it for normal TV viewing and gaming and Netflix as well as movies, so it fits all of my needs better than I thought would be possible for this budget.

Good point, TVs can be light cannons. If a big TV in a dark room doesn't feel like it's bombarding you with too much light (which I personally find fatigues my eyes after a while), then you'll be fine with a bright projector image, too. Another way to tone down a projector image while improving perceived contrast is a gray screen.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7811 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
It just install ND filter that was discussed some pages back (that's what I'm planning to do if it's too bright since I'm not into 3D).
post #7812 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 03:18 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks all for the HDMI 1 suggestions, will have a go at it when I get home, have a good one.
post #7813 of 10167 Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newchel View Post

Hello friends!

Does anyone try to connect Intel NUC D54250WYK with this projector?

I have an issue with connecting NUC with Benq w1070 projector via HDMI cable (v1.4).
When I connect them with HDMI cable the image on screen is in green color. At the same time, projector's menu is in normal colors. Here is a links with photos of "green screen":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1267.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1268.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1269.jpg

Ok, here is continuation of the story.

Iv'e tried to connect intel NUC d54250wyk to panasonic LCD TV and ViewSonic VX2253mh-LED. With the same cable. And everything is great.

Intel support still don't know what to do.

Benq support still don't know what to do. 

post #7814 of 10167 Old 02-12-2014, 05:19 AM

Well I got it all hung last night. Ended up going with a 86" screen. I was going through the adjustments, and noticed I could not select the screen position setting (it was grayed out). What gives?

post #7815 of 10167 Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Well I got it all hung last night. Ended up going with a 86" screen. I was going through the adjustments, and noticed I could not select the screen position setting (it was grayed out). What gives?

Do you have any source hooked up and playing?
post #7816 of 10167 Old 02-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Do you have any source hooked up and playing?

Yeah my cable box was running through it.

post #7817 of 10167 Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Ok, here is continuation of the story.
Iv'e tried to connect intel NUC d54250wyk to panasonic LCD TV and ViewSonic VX2253mh-LED. With the same cable. And everything is great.
Intel support still don't know what to do.
Benq support still don't know what to do. 

Have you tried a different cable, different input? Have you tried messing with the color controls in windows? Setting a custom color profile? Does windows recognize it as the correct device?

When you go into the advanced color section there will probably be a color profile for the display listed, try loading it as the default.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #7818 of 10167 Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Yeah my cable box was running through it.

I don't know then. I had mine just on and everything is pretty much greyed out without displaying a source.
post #7819 of 10167 Old 02-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

Have you tried a different cable, different input? Have you tried messing with the color controls in windows? Setting a custom color profile? Does windows recognize it as the correct device?

When you go into the advanced color section there will probably be a color profile for the display listed, try loading it as the default.

Yes, i've tried different input - work good. Different cable + NUC - same result. 

I've tried all settings in driver of Intel Graphics HD 5000, and nothing helped. I think it is not driver problem, because when bios is loading, screen already green:

^

post #7820 of 10167 Old 02-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got my hdmi to cat 6/7 extender so I finally could hook up my gaming pc to my W1070 (approx 20 meters cat 6, I am using a patch panel in order to connect). I am on fw 1.07 and only option is OU for 1080P @ 60 Hz. I have seen conflicting reports on whether or not fw 1.08 enables SBS for this situation. Can anyone clarify?

Trine 2 looks great in 3D! Haven't been able to play the game though since my usb extenders hasn't arrived and Synergy didn't work with Trine.
post #7821 of 10167 Old 02-13-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredl View Post

I got my hdmi to cat 6/7 extender so I finally could hook up my gaming pc to my W1070 (approx 20 meters cat 6, I am using a patch panel in order to connect). I am on fw 1.07 and only option is OU for 1080P @ 60 Hz. I have seen conflicting reports on whether or not fw 1.08 enables SBS for this situation. Can anyone clarify?

Trine 2 looks great in 3D! Haven't been able to play the game though since my usb extenders hasn't arrived and Synergy didn't work with Trine.

H SBS works at 60Hz if you set the PC to output RGB (4:4:4 or 4:2:2). I am not sure if this was enabled in 1.08 or if it was already present since 1.06.

I'd recommend changing it to RGB on your end and trying before updating. If the option is still greyed out, then update it to 1.08.
post #7822 of 10167 Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM

My projector is over 6 weeks old now and I did update firmware version from 1.06 to 1.08. I remember remote would work pointing towards the screen or pointing towards the projector which is ceiling mounted but for last 2 weeks, remote is erratic, it would not work at all while pointing towards the screen and while pointing towards the projector, it would not work more often then it would, the whole expreience has become frustrating specially given that the setup is in a dark room.

has this happened to anyone, is firmware change possible reason for this odd behavior, I will be trying harmony remote and see if that resolved the problem.
post #7823 of 10167 Old 02-13-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishikesh27 View Post

My projector is over 6 weeks old now and I did update firmware version from 1.06 to 1.08. I remember remote would work pointing towards the screen or pointing towards the projector which is ceiling mounted but for last 2 weeks, remote is erratic, it would not work at all while pointing towards the screen and while pointing towards the projector, it would not work more often then it would, the whole expreience has become frustrating specially given that the setup is in a dark room.

has this happened to anyone, is firmware change possible reason for this odd behavior, I will be trying harmony remote and see if that resolved the problem.

A few users seem to have gotten bad remotes. Give Benq a call and I am sure they will send you another one. I would also change the batteries if you have not already done so.
post #7824 of 10167 Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Hello friends!

Does anyone try to connect Intel NUC D54250WYK with this projector?

I have an issue with connecting NUC with Benq w1070 projector via HDMI cable (v1.4).
When I connect them with HDMI cable the image on screen is in green color. At the same time, projector's menu is in normal colors. Here is a links with photos of "green screen":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1267.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1268.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7163440/NUC_GREEN_SCREEN/IMAG1269.jpg

Because of deep HDMI socket in projector - there is bad contact between plug and socket. Thanks to Benq tech. support.

Solution:

post #7825 of 10167 Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You can also use Monoprice Redmere cables with no problem. They are thin and seem to work with the early Benq's. They seem to have made a hardware revision with the latest ones shipping.
post #7826 of 10167 Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey, guys with the Harmony remotes (especially the 650), can you tell me if the devices can issue discreet codes for Aspect Ratio (looking for 4:3 and Auto), High Altitude (On / Off). I saw mention in earlier posts of discreet codes for Power (On / Off), Preset (Cinema, etc.). It may be that the W1070 itself doesn't support some of these other than through menu toggles - just looking to see what can be done in these areas for fully automating the process.
post #7827 of 10167 Old 02-14-2014, 02:15 PM

Thanks,
talked to benq rep and they would soon be sending a new one, they asked for serial number and address to send to.
she was saying that they will have to reprogram based off serial number, does that mean that changing firmware on projector may render projector and remote incompatible again in future.

thanks for your help.
post #7828 of 10167 Old 02-15-2014, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've got Firmware 1.07 does anyone know what the updates are in 1.08?
post #7829 of 10167 Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 AM

Liked: 15
post #7830 of 10167 Old 02-15-2014, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi All,
Might need your help/advice.

My set up is as follows:
- Benq W1070
- PS3
- TrueDepth 3D Active Glasses rechargeable rated @ 144hz
- Sony DN1040 Receiver
- all connected with HdMi cables.
- Comcast HD Box

Issue:
When I play 3d movies like Jack the Giant Slayer, Journey to the Mysterious Island 2, Wreck it Ralph, etc from my Via comcast cable the projector allows me to select Side By Side 3D format only, and it displays the movies in 1080i / 60hz. The Movies quality is Outstanding and so is the 3D Depth & especially the 3D POP OUT EFFECt. Pop outs are just amazing.

However when I play 3D Blue ray Movies like Avatar, Pacific Rim, Tangled, via my PS3 the projector allows me to select Frame Packing or Top Bottom 3D format only, and it displays the movies in 1080p / 24hz. The Movies quality is average at best & doesn't look like a 3D movie although projector says its in 3d Mode. The 3D Depth is just OK. And especially theres is NO 3D POP OUT EFFECT AT ALL.

Basically 3d movies are Way much Better via my Cable, and very average woth 0 pop out effect when played through my PS3.

I need your Advice and Input to how to make my 3D Blue Ray experience Look like my 3D Cable Experience. Thanks. Have already looked round on all forums and no specific issue like mine has been discussed. Thanks for your input in Advance.......smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page