BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 263 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7861 of 9678 Old 02-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escabeche View Post

Hi, I updated  firmware version from 1.05 to 1.08, It finished ok but now the red light is always on, and the projector doesn't start after updating.

If I connect it to the Pc using the USB, the PC doesn't detect anything, so I can not repeat the operacion with another firmware version

ups! I doesn't sound well. Has it happened to anyone? 

Any idea? Is it possible to reset the flash memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishari84 View Post

same issue happened to me. I sent it to Benq and they changed the motherboard

This happened to my W1080ST when upgrading from 1.00 to 1.05. I bought an EPROM flashing device and will report back with my success / failure information in the coming days. If this fails, then I will have to buy a motherboard from BenQ as it is out of warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 9678 Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanfpoulin View Post

This happened to my W1080ST when upgrading from 1.00 to 1.05. I bought an EPROM flashing device and will report back with my success / failure information in the coming days. If this fails, then I will have to buy a motherboard from BenQ as it is out of warranty.

ok, thanks about the informaticion

My BenQ is still in warranty, but I'm not sure if I'll have problems since I updated the firmware. This morning I'll take it to the store (FNAC) (fingers crossed...)

post #7863 of 9678 Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

Firmware Changelog History of Benq W1070

Firmware 1.03

Problem-1- To improve the flickering when smart ECO mode + dynamic setting
Problem-2- To add “Background” color in OSD

Firmware 1.04

Problem-1- When at low temperature environment, fan oil would become thickened, cause rotational speed of
fan can’t reach target then shut down.
Problem-2- Keystone bug: When playing 3D (Frame packing), and then switch to 2D, and keystone value
can’t be kept.

Firmware 1.05

Problem-1- ISF setting cannot be saved
Problem-2- compatibility problem for some unique 3D DVD players(Philips)
Problem-3- OSD Swedish language of ”on& off” wrong translation

Firmware 1.06

Fixes:
-1- Hg bridge problem symptom: can’t turn on a projector, but NDF after transportation; few cases found in BQC.
There is Hg (Mercury) in a lamp bulb. Whenever the liquid mercury make the Short-circuit of electrodes of the lamp, the unit can’t
be turn on. To change the cooling status and lamp ignition behavior can make mercury condense at different locations of a bulb.
Due to Hg (Mercury) changing the location in lamp bulbs during transportation, it will be NDF in ASP.
-2- To improve power-on while system initializing
-3- To improve Philips DVD compatibility issue(BQC)
-4- Add 3D format as appendix
-5- Adjust Audio Curve for BQjp
-6- Japanese OSD correction for Cool and Warm (BQjp)
-7-To enhance HDMI searching speed
-8- To update RC code for new remote RCV011
-9- To modify the gain value to improve HDMI signal searching ability
-10- To add model name W1250 in Factory OSD (only W1070)

Added support for 3D formats:
1280x720p@59/94/60 Hz -- SBS added
1280x720p@50Hz - SBS added
1920x1080p@23.98/24Hz - SBS added
1920x1080p@59.94/60Hz - Top Bottom - added
1920x1080p@50Hz - Top Bottom - added

Firmware 1.07

- ISF Night setting can’t be keep after 2D->3D timing changed
- To keep lamp hour after “reset all setting in USE OSD”
- To improve the 32 gray level via PS3 HDMI
- Modify picture mode of “power off” icon
- Modify HSG setting in No signal condition

Firmware 1.08

- Noise improvement / 1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal.
- Add 3D support timing: 1080p 60Hz SBS

W1080ST Version 1.03 = W1070 Version 1.06
W1080ST Version 1.04 = W1070 Version 1.07
W1080ST Version 1.05 = W1070 Version 1.08
(Do not load W1080ST with W1070 firmware!!!! The changelogs are the same but firmware IS NOT compatible between different projector models)

All current versions of W1070 Firmware

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x5omnxp1vr6wyi4/e8_HLKrQUV/Firmware%20Files

or

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1070/ Username: username Password: password

Latest 2 versions of W1080ST Firmware

ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/W1080ST/ Username: username Password: password

Service Manuals

https://docs.google.com/folderview?pli=1&docId=0B_xTFybwtlbvTHFqclRLU3pBNlk&id=0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ

Useful Test Patterns - Username: username Password: password
ftp://62.141.76.120/driver/projectors/Tests/Main_HD/

These links are I dead I believe. Ay chance of getting firmwares between 1.05-1.08 for W1070? If a member here does have firmware between 1.05-1.08 please PM me and I'll provide an email address. Also, where can I find a step by step process on upgrading. Thanks in advance smile.gif
post #7864 of 9678 Old 02-19-2014, 03:26 AM

The FTP servers work, but you need te login with username and password...
post #7865 of 9678 Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM

ok.. wasn't working on my ipad but was able to download everything I need on to my desktop.

Why are the instructions different from the ones in the service manuals for upgrading the firmware? Am i Missing something here?
post #7866 of 9678 Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well I figured out what those line marks are from the projector. They have to be dust or parts of cob web inside the light box. I noticed today that they are moving rapidly from the fans on the projector. There is nothing in front of the lens either. I emailed Benq and filled out a form. I told them the thing is just 4 weeks old and would like a brand new replacement. I only have 50 hours on it and this happens. I thought the light engine was sealed.

photo.jpg
post #7867 of 9678 Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by d19racing View Post

There has to be some setting issue cause how else can I explain that amazing 3D POP OUT EFFECT for 3d movies from my Comcast cable on SBS 1080i/60hz

And not having Zero 3D POP OUT EFFECT when playing 3D Blue Ray movies from my PS3 on FramePacking @ 1080P/24hz

Unless movies like Pacific Rim, Avatar, or Tangled have No Pop out Effect at all ...

But I'm thinking its gotta be something else ????  Any to do with "Nvidia card or FramePacking @ 1080P/24hz setting" in projector/ or any other PS3 setting ? 

Using True Depth 3D Glasses, work very well on the cable format atleast.... ? 

Tangled has some great pop-out during the lantern scene when they are out on the boat watching it.
post #7868 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

Tangled has some great pop-out during the lantern scene when they are out on the boat watching it.

Yep, also when he is riding down the water flume with the water drops shooting out.
post #7869 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 07:28 AM

Liked: 11
For those who updated firmware, one question. Do you see any difference in 2d picture quality going to 1.08 from 1.05? I am asking this in order to find out whether there is a real reason to risk updating firware (i play 3d from br, so do not need mkv 3d resolutions)?

Thanks
post #7870 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post

For those who updated firmware, one question. Do you see any difference in 2d picture quality going to 1.08 from 1.05? I am asking this in order to find out whether there is a real reason to risk updating firware (i play 3d from br, so do not need mkv 3d resolutions)?

Thanks

Default color calibration values are now different; but that's not something you can't do yourself :-)

I'd therefore say in your case: not worth it.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #7871 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 111
With reports of a few firmware updates gone wrong lately, this might be a good time to evaluate whether an update is truly worth your while.

Amongst the numerous improvements made to the firmware, only some features are worthwhile to most.
Here're the big-ticket firmware items that probably make updating worth it for some users:
  1. If you transport your projector around a lot: you may want to be on at least 1.06 due to the Mercury Bridging issue that caused users transporting freshly powered-off W1070's to have their lamps fail on next power-on. BenQ improved both the power-off cooling process as well as the lamp-ignition procedures to reduce the likelihood of this issue.
  2. If you're bothered by slow Source Detection when switching HDMI inputs: you may want to be on at least 1.06 since this is quite a bit quicker here.
  3. If you need side-by-side 3D playback at full resolution: you may also want to be on at least 1.06 since Side-by-Side mode was added when running 1080p @ 24hz. If you play only 3D blu-rays (which are framepacked), you certainly don't need this.
  4. If your source device frequently drops out causing a 'No Source' message on the projector: you may want to be on at least 1.06 since HDMI gain was increased allowing the projector to hang onto input signals a bit better. In practice, changing HDMI cables may also improve this (especially shorter cables).
  5. If you need High Altitude Mode whilst running in Smart Eco: you may want to be on at least 1.08 since I've found that High-Altitude Mode was actually being ignored under earlier firmware when Smart-Eco was on (ie, the fan would reduce to regular speed after a few minutes of being powered on, to the same speed as when HA mode was off.)

If you don't fall into any of the above categories, it's probably not worth it to the average user to take the risk.

In my case, only the addition of 3D SBS mattered to me (which is why I jumped onto 1.06 in such a hurry) - conversely, my update to 1.08 was a waste of time (didn't notice improvements to picture quality; though default color calibration settings are now a bit better).

HTH!
Escabeche likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #7872 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Did anyone do a calibration on their projector with the new 1.08 firmware ?
If so can they put their settings on the forum?

Thnx!
post #7873 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
If firmware is altering the out of the box calibration settings you'll no longer be as accurate as the 1070 has been known to be (out of the box). Of course that OotB accuracy will drift as lamp hours increase.

Each unit requires it's own settings for optimal accuracy due to many variables so unless you have proper calibration gear I would not be too quick to update the firmware unless an added feature is more desired than accuracy.

My unit is still on what it shipped with (1.04 I think) and I have not had any issues nor a reason to update.

Jason
post #7874 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

If firmware is altering the out of the box calibration settings you'll no longer be as accurate as the 1070 has been known to be (out of the box). Of course that OotB accuracy will drift as lamp hours increase.

Each unit requires it's own settings for optimal accuracy due to many variables so unless you have proper calibration gear I would not be too quick to update the firmware unless an added feature is more desired than accuracy.

My unit is still on what it shipped with (1.04 I think) and I have not had any issues nor a reason to update.

Jason

W1070 and W1080ST are now more colour accurate out of box than on previous firmware. The default settings for colour are now close enough that an improvement would be hard to detect unless using calibration equipment. The brightness, contrast and sharpness settings previously recommended will still work fine with the latest firmware though.
post #7875 of 9678 Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post

W1070 and W1080ST are now more colour accurate out of box than on previous firmware. The default settings for colour are now close enough that an improvement would be hard to detect unless using calibration equipment. The brightness, contrast and sharpness settings previously recommended will still work fine with the latest firmware though.

I think you may have missed my point. wink.gif

If you update the firmware and that firmware changes the out of the box settings then your unit is not as accurate as it was previously (where it had the settings that it did due to a factory calibration).

My comment was not regarding new units coming with new firmware.

Jason
post #7876 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:

I think you may have missed my point. wink.gif

If you update the firmware and that firmware changes the out of the box settings then your unit is not as accurate as it was previously (where it had the settings that it did due to a factory calibration).

My comment was not regarding new units coming with new firmware.

Jason

Well out of the box it is reasonably correct, but not right on the money smile.gif
Thats why they are still being calibrated.
If this firmware upgrade means you hardly need to calibrate it, it is a good update!

And I mean settings previous firmwares needed like this (http://www.soundandvision.com/content/benq-w1070-3d-dlp-projector-settings), which even with my projector does look allot better!
So I wonder if anyone measured the results after 1.08
post #7877 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanu View Post

Well out of the box it is reasonably correct, but not right on the money smile.gif
Thats why they are still being calibrated.
If this firmware upgrade means you hardly need to calibrate it, it is a good update!

And I mean settings previous firmwares needed like this (http://www.soundandvision.com/content/benq-w1070-3d-dlp-projector-settings), which even with my projector does look allot better!
So I wonder if anyone measured the results after 1.08

It seems there may be some confusion here regarding the firmware updates and what they can and cannot accomplish. I am not certain if this is misunderstood or if I am misunderstanding the responses to my post. wink.gif

Applying a newer firmware that alters the settings (assuming the newer firmware(s) do indeed alter previously stored settings) will mean that the factory out of the box calibration is now null and void.

Obviously a firmware cannot calibrate your projector. I am not talking about the basics (contrast, brightness, etc.) I am talking about the primary and secondary color controls as well as greyscale (D65/6500K).

So anyone updating their firmware is losing that Out of the Box color accuracy if the firmware does indeed alter the previous settings (by erasing them).

Of course we all know that using the basic settings is generally pretty close but accurate color settings will vary unit to unit.

Jason
post #7878 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Well my projector is being exchanged directly with Benq. I was told that its a faulty DMD board, which is what causes those lines to start appearing. So with under 60 hours it's getting replaced. So Monday it's getting shipped out for a new one.
post #7879 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 05:57 AM

How often does this projector go on sale? Looking to get it for the $750 or so that I've seen most have got it for.
post #7880 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 09:01 AM

I have a question regarding the PC Signal option under HDMI options.

For my HTPC, I have Dynamic Range set to Full 0-255, Pixel Format YCBCR 4:2:2

Projector HDMI Settings is set to PC Signal

Does this make sense? Do have it setup correctly ? Thanks in advance for the help
post #7881 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

It seems there may be some confusion here regarding the firmware updates and what they can and cannot accomplish. I am not certain if this is misunderstood or if I am misunderstanding the responses to my post. wink.gif

Applying a newer firmware that alters the settings (assuming the newer firmware(s) do indeed alter previously stored settings) will mean that the factory out of the box calibration is now null and void.

Obviously a firmware cannot calibrate your projector. I am not talking about the basics (contrast, brightness, etc.) I am talking about the primary and secondary color controls as well as greyscale (D65/6500K).

So anyone updating their firmware is losing that Out of the Box color accuracy if the firmware does indeed alter the previous settings (by erasing them).

Of course we all know that using the basic settings is generally pretty close but accurate color settings will vary unit to unit.

Jason

Are you implying that projectors are individually factory calibrated before being shipped out, and so updating the firmware will lose this individualized calibration for older units? If this is how the process works, then your caution that "anyone updating their firmware is losing that Out of the Box color accuracy" makes sense.

I had always assumed the factory calibration was generic to the model, and so the new settings that come with newer firmware might be a slightly more accurate calibration than the older ones. I assume that's what others on here are similarly assuming, hence their comments which seem in tension with your perspective.

Can anyone clarify whether projectors are individually calibrated in the factory?

Benq W1070 projector
Da-Lite High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver
Focal 700-series towers and center
JMLab Tantal-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #7882 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

Are you implying that projectors are individually factory calibrated before being shipped out, and so updating the firmware will lose this individualized calibration for older units? If this is how the process works, then your caution that "anyone updating their firmware is losing that Out of the Box color accuracy" makes sense.

I had always assumed the factory calibration was generic to the model, and so the new settings that come with newer firmware might be a slightly more accurate calibration than the older ones. I assume that's what others on here are similarly assuming, hence their comments which seem in tension with your perspective.

Can anyone clarify whether projectors are individually calibrated in the factory?

They are definitely not.
THe_Flash likes this.

post #7883 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 12:53 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I have never updated my firmware on mine but I have had HORRIBLE HDMI signal wait times ... always. This even when changing channels on DTV. Annoying as hell.

Not sure what my FW is but can I upgrade from it all the way to 1.06 skipping everything in between like you typically can with computer bios updates or do I need to start low and work up to 1.06?

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #7884 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
"Yep, also when he is riding down the water flume with the water drops shooting out."

No scenes popped out for me in Tangled 3d Bluray when played via my PS3 and Benq W 1070..? Did u guys have some kind of different setting? Wat 3d glasses brand did u use?

I use true depth click fires item active ones and they work ver well on my cable 3d movies
POP out scenes .,,, don't wats with Bluray?
post #7885 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by d19racing View Post

"Yep, also when he is riding down the water flume with the water drops shooting out."

No scenes popped out for me in Tangled 3d Bluray when played via my PS3 and Benq W 1070..? Did u guys have some kind of different setting? Wat 3d glasses brand did u use?

I use true depth click fires item active ones and they work ver well on my cable 3d movies
POP out scenes .,,, don't wats with Bluray?
Have you done the PS3 display calibration and set screen size to the size of your screen? This affects the 3d image.
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #7886 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post

Some manufacturers do employ a process of calibration, now keep in mind this is a mostly automated process and not as fine tuned as where an ISF level calibration would land (obviously they are not going to that extent).

However these models do appear to go through a process of calibration otherwise they would all have the same color settings as defaults, the several models that I have seen have not had the same color settings out of the box.

Jason
post #7887 of 9678 Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yes I have set PS3 calibration for 3d settings.
post #7888 of 9678 Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
You can update the firmware to the latest 1.08 and skip anything in between. The latest firmwares fix the HDMI issues.
post #7889 of 9678 Old 02-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Hey guys, I have the 120' screen from elite screens and the picture is so much darker on it than it is on the wall. Can anyone recommend a white back screen. Thanks
post #7890 of 9678 Old 02-23-2014, 11:59 AM

My glasses keep losing sync. Is this normal? I'm using the 3DTV corp's Hi-Shock DLP Pro glasses. It says at the top left of the screen 1080p 24hz. Please any advise would be appreciated.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page