BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 9833 Old 03-15-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugF View Post

Another possible way to reduce the RBE is to paint your screen in matte grey N8 color, that in theory would help to reduce those rainbows...

yeah of course that would work. the darker the screen, the more it takes in the light, less getting reflected. so rbe is less bright and less noticeable, just like the rest of the picture. so if you paint it black, you would have even less of that pesky RBE. but no screen to look at either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 9833 Old 03-15-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illes_florin View Post

hi,how to repair the damage benq 1070 with red led power after firmware upgrade failed.Thank you .please email me,i am frustated.

if you overwrote the first 32KiB, i doubt there is a coming back from that by traditional means. If you have a programmer for whatever type of memory they use to store the bootsector/loader and firmware, you could do it manually, but youd need a copy of the bootloader first, which is not part of the fw.

bottom line: send it back to benq and let them repair it, probably for a fee.

if you did not overwrite the first 32KiB by accident, you cant just try flashing it again, by booting into flashing mode like before.

post #8013 of 9833 Old 03-15-2014, 12:48 PM

Liked: 10

post #8014 of 9833 Old 03-15-2014, 12:51 PM

bootloader is 32KiB, not 128KiB. set it accordingly.

here is a full tutorial for W1070 projectors:

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/49217-benq-w1070-w1250-w1080st-firmware-discussions.html

i recently upgraded following the steps to the ladder and it worked flawlessly (1.07 to 1.08)

post #8015 of 9833 Old 03-15-2014, 12:53 PM

Thank you.
post #8016 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just flashed my w1070 from 1.07 to 1.08; all went well.

Question for those who have updated to 1.08, do you see any difference?

I also noticed during the flashing process it first erases then programs, that means if you select the anything but 32k you will erase more than the update area and that said;

Please folks if you are going to undertake the upgrade Read and re-Read the instuctions along with double checking the settings in DLP Composer before clicking on the Download button.

Rew
post #8017 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

I just flashed my w1070 from 1.07 to 1.08; all went well.

nope, not really no ^^

post #8018 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

nope, not really no ^^

So far a slight change in color, wanted to due the upgrade before re-doing my color cal since release note say something about green.
"1080p greenish problem via HDMI/VGA signal."

Cal is on my to due list for next weekend and wanted examine change for a little while.

Rew
post #8019 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekUGA View Post

Wow, I really hate reading this thread because there is someone with a problem on every page...haha

I've been using my 1070 since November and it has been a massive hit. I do have the cricket fan, or whatever the defectively loud fan is called these days, but otherwise I have been so impressed with this thing. The picture is outstanding even on my beige wall.

This is probably just me being lazy but I figured I would ask for an up to date consensus on which glasses, mounts, screens, and extras people are using. One minor drawback is the 2 HDMI slots so is there a way around that? Can you use something like a KVM switch to keep everything connected?

Thanks for any help, wish you well to anyone who has had problems with theirs, and even with the cricket fan I would very highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great big HD screen at an amazing price.

I know someone has been following this thread closely and could answer my questions in under a minute. I appreciate any other feedback anyone has on my post, but I mainly just want to avoid digging through dozens of forum pages; thus if anyone could just throw out the more popular options I can lookup the drawbacks and plusses to each item on my own. I just need the basic top 2 or 3 to pick from. I will offer some more info, i.e. I am not looking for a super expensive screen, I prefer glasses that stay connected and have little to no ghosting, and my mounting options are pretty plentiful. Thanks for any help! wink.gif
post #8020 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I know someone has been following this thread closely and could answer my questions in under a minute. I appreciate any other feedback anyone has on my post, but I mainly just want to avoid digging through dozens of forum pages; thus if anyone could just throw out the more popular options I can lookup the drawbacks and plusses to each item on my own. I just need the basic top 2 or 3 to pick from. I will offer some more info, i.e. I am not looking for a super expensive screen, I prefer glasses that stay connected and have little to no ghosting, and my mounting options are pretty plentiful. Thanks for any help! wink.gif

For quality on a budget for two of your queries I'd recommend (based on my own setup):
  • eHotCafe PRB-717-WHT Universal Projector Ceiling Mount. Cheap; very flexible in terms of positioning; low-profile (longer pole is an option); offers some horizontal shifting as well (to make up for lack of horizontal lens-shift!). Disadvantage: it's not immune to shifting projector positioning a bit if pressure is applied (even when tightened). Not that it should ever experience being pushed/pressured once mounted - but you get the idea.
  • DLP Link 3ACTIVE 3D Glasses for 144 Hz DLP 3D Projectors by Dimensional Optics. Got the Multi-Pack of 4. Blocks red-flash just as well as the original BenQ glasses; very comfortable; rechargeable; sync well under all circumstances; well-made; light; fit over most modern prescription glasses. Disadvantages: still a bit pricey (even in multi-pack guise); a touch of crosstalk visible (but very mild; and only when explicitly testing for crosstalk - they're excellent for regular 3D viewing).

HTH!
DerekUGA likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8021 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/EnjoyGadgets-Switcher-Selector-Auto-switching-Support/dp/B0090QJ9V6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1394994462&sr=8-6&keywords=hdmi+switch

im using this as an hdmi switch. its cheap, works like a charm and is entirely powered via HDMI. Its even cheaper on ebay and also available in white. keep in mind that this is actually a no name product from china, so you dont have to look for the "enjoygadgets" one. (mine has no brand)

post #8022 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 PM

post #8023 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM

It's $2.96 on Ebay includes shipping from China. Amazing they can do that at that price

post #8024 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

So no difference in HDMI detection speed between 06 and 08? If so I'd skip this one.
post #8025 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Hello! My PT-AE2000U broke down and I am looking to replace it. My limit is $1,000. I have read several pages of this thread and read the review over at The Wirecutter, and it's looking like this projector is my best choice. I just wanted to make absolutely sure before purchasing it from Amazon (it's currently $900).

I don't care about 3D much. While the projector will be used for TV and movies, its primary purpose is for video games, so I need something that can do 1080p at 60 FPS. The projector will be displayed on a 100-inch screen in a room covered in blackout curtains, with the projector behind the couch about 19 feet away from the screen. It is not going to be ceiling mounted. I will also frequently hook my PC up to it.

Is this projector still the best option for me that's under $1,000?

post #8026 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesARatliff View Post

Hello! My PT-AE2000U broke down and I am looking to replace it. My limit is $1,000. I have read several pages of this thread and read the review over at The Wirecutter, and it's looking like this projector is my best choice. I just wanted to make absolutely sure before purchasing it from Amazon (it's currently $900).

I don't care about 3D much. While the projector will be used for TV and movies, its primary purpose is for video games, so I need something that can do 1080p at 60 FPS. The projector will be displayed on a 100-inch screen in a room covered in blackout curtains, with the projector behind the couch about 19 feet away from the screen. It is not going to be ceiling mounted. I will also frequently hook my PC up to it.

This is still a very good bet at the price point. In terms of single-chip DLP's, you won't do much better: the old (discontinued) Optoma HD25 used to be pretty fierce competition (I seriously considered getting one at the time); but the boardroom-optimized color wheels they've started using in their lower-end models lately (HD25e/HD131xe) trade raw brightness for less-than-stellar color accuracy: which is the opposite of what you want in your light-controlled room. (But might be useful in a non-light-controlled lounge.)

The W1070 is quite a bit brighter than your outgoing Panny, too; so there's no reason you can't even go significantly bigger than 100" in your darkened room. 130" should be a piece of cake.

For gaming, it's also a solid option since there's very little input lag. 1080p@60 fps is supported.

Its short-ish throw makes behind-the-couch positioning feasible as well - though double-check on the BenQ throw calculator. (I used mine like this for 8 months before eventually ceiling-mounting).

Alternatively if you want to place your projector in front of you, you could go with the W1080ST (still just within your budget) which is even shorter-throw (but otherwise identical).

Oh and don't discount 3D: this projector does a very solid job: (PS3 gaming in 3D - Motorstorm Apocolypse comes to mind - is mind blowing).

One last other option in your case could be the Epson 2030 which is also quite solid; though at 'best' image quality, it has quite a bit more input lag. I'm not sure if it's throw suits your desired setup either; but it might be worth a look before you pull the trigger.

A year down the line (and 1300 hours later) and I still consider this the best AV purchase I've ever made.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #8027 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Its short-ish throw makes behind-the-couch positioning feasible as well - though double-check on the BenQ throw calculator. (I used mine like this for 8 months before eventually ceiling-mounting).

Thank you for your reply! It's very helpful.

I went to use BenQ's throw calculator for this projector and wanted to verify something. I don't have a lot of leeway for adjustment in the theater room, and, if I am reading this correctly, with the projector being 19 feet away from the screen, the smallest I can get the image is 175 inches (and that's with the zoom ratio maxed out at 1.30x). My projector screen is 100 inches, and I can't go much bigger than that in this room. Does this mean I would have to ceiling-mount the projector closer to the screen for this to be feasible? I could be way off on what I'm looking at here, so I figured I should double-check if this is indeed the case. Thank you!

post #8028 of 9833 Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:

I am Still waiting to find this thing for under $899. It seems to be stuck there for quite some time now rolleyes.gif
post #8029 of 9833 Old 03-17-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:

Thank you for your reply! It's very helpful.

I went to use BenQ's throw calculator for this projector and wanted to verify something. I don't have a lot of leeway for adjustment in the theater room, and, if I am reading this correctly, with the projector being 19 feet away from the screen, the smallest I can get the image is 175 inches (and that's with the zoom ratio maxed out at 1.30x). My projector screen is 100 inches, and I can't go much bigger than that in this room. Does this mean I would have to ceiling-mount the projector closer to the screen for this to be feasible? I could be way off on what I'm looking at here, so I figured I should double-check if this is indeed the case. Thank you!

Nope you're right: 19ft is too far for 100". You'd need to ceiling mount. I thought I'd check out the Epson for you while we're at it but you'll have the same problem it seems.

You could go for the W1080ST which you could mount in front of you (it'll do a 100" image from just 6ft - comfortably in front of your couch!), but the more elegant solution is going to be putting the pj on the ceiling.

Besides the obvious ceiling-mount benefits (usually looks neater; you can't produce shadows by moving in front of it; it can't be knocked by mistake etc), some other benefits we've found are that we were able to move our couch further back (to where the W1070 used to sit) to a more comfortable position; we could therefore seat more people in the room; and we were able to lens-shift to lower the image to a more comfortable height (since we weren't limited to the height of the couch). And of course, it just looks way better! smile.gif

post #8030 of 9833 Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 AM

Hi guys,

I would also like to update my firmware W1070 to firmware 1.08.
Unf
ortunately I can not find any valid download links.

Does any of you have the latest firmware on the PC and could upload it?

thanks in advance!

post #8031 of 9833 Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbury86 View Post

Hi guys,

I would also like to update my firmware W1070 to firmware 1.08.

Unfortunately I can not find any valid download links.

Does any of you have the latest firmware on the PC and could upload it?

thanks in advance!
I don't have the links....but if you get the bogus instructions with 128kb listed, IGNORE IT. The correct value for the bootloader offset is 32kb.

Casey
my site
post #8032 of 9833 Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

So no difference in HDMI detection speed between 06 and 08? If so I'd skip this one.

As to the HDMI detection speeds, 1.06 still remains the most noticeable improvement. V1.08, so far not noticeable.

But on the color changes they seem very good although slight. Flesh tones seem much better and some depth improvement. Have not got out my color cal stuff yet maybe next weekend. But all in all it seems very good. Will post after.

Rew
soulkeeper likes this.
post #8033 of 9833 Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 AM

Hi, I am finally replacing my Optoma HD70 because I am tired of taking it apart to clean the color wheel and fan due to the known issue of color wheel failure (plenty of YouTube examples). Have anyone experienced any thing like this with the 1070? Or was it a problem just with Optomas? I have a ceiling mount in an upstairs media room that gets fairly warm and stuffy, so I had to run the fan constantly on the Optoma and even then the dust would cause the color shell failure every month or so.
Thanks...
post #8034 of 9833 Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 AM

I updated the flashing / firmware updating instructions with a few notes of my own for flashing via USB only.
I also suggest using a UPS and a laptop so you dont have to worry about any power flickers bricking your projector !
Hope it helps

1. Write down all your settings before starting an update. (If you do not you will loose all your settings)
2. I suggest that you create a new folder on your desktop called 1070 firmware in the new folder.
3. Download the download tool (DLP Composer)and unzip it to the new folder.
3B. Download the Flash Device Parameters file
4. Download the new separate 108 img file to the same folder from the link above.
5. .Install the download tool. It is called DLP composer.
5A Copy the Flash Device Parameters. txt file to the DLP composer program file (It is under programs x86 DLP Composer on your C drive.) Use Copy and paste. The folder you want to paste this file to will be on the c drive after you install DLP composer.
6. Open the DLP Composer tool and go to edit, preferences.
7. When the window opens go to communication and set it to USB
8. Close this window and click on flash loader on the opening screen. A window will open.
(****CRITICAL****)
8B. Change the mark to Complete Image Download Put check in Skip Boot loader area Change 32Kb
(****CRITICAL****)
9. On the top of the flash loader hit the browse button and go to your folder 108 img file.
10. Insert the USB cable in the min plug on the projector and into your computer. Turn on projector. (Wait for the drivers to load. This should take a minute with windows 7 or 8
10B. Confirm App is talking to the projector: hit RESET BUS and ensure Status: INTERFACE USB VID and PID is not blank. Turn OFF projector
11. Unplug power cabel from projector and push the power and auto buttons at the same time. Plug in the power to projector while holding the buttons. The LED on the projector will turn red if you are in download mode (It must turn red to install the firmware. If it turns orange do this again until you only get the red led) This is very important.
12 Hit the Reset Bus (Eunsure VID and PID have values, ensure 32kb is still set, ensure file is pointing to correct firmware IMG) and then press Start Download). The upgrade process should take about 5 minutes. A timer will start telling you how long it will take.
13. Do not unplug anything during the process. When everything completes the LED on the projector will turn to standby orange. (this takes a min or two)
14. Unplug the USB cable (Turn off projector) and turn the projector on
15 You will have to put all your settings back in and turn source select to auto
16. Instructions are also available in the service manual PDF you downloaded to your folder.
17. Only do this upgrade at your own risk and if you are familiar with doing firmware updates..
18. You do not need the service tool to do the firmware update the firmware and write down your settings.
post #8035 of 9833 Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

if you overwrote the first 32KiB, i doubt there is a coming back from that by traditional means. If you have a programmer for whatever type of memory they use to store the bootsector/loader and firmware, you could do it manually, but youd need a copy of the bootloader first, which is not part of the fw.

bottom line: send it back to benq and let them repair it, probably for a fee.

if you did not overwrite the first 32KiB by accident, you cant just try flashing it again, by booting into flashing mode like before.
I resolved the problem.,;:150 Euro,the motherboard:D,,,,,,,,FINAL=DO NOT USE ANOTHER SIZE OF BOATLOADER,JUST 32 KIB
post #8036 of 9833 Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 AM

Hey guys! I just bought this projector and LOVE IT so far! Me and my buddies cannot believe how great the image looks even during the day but at night she comes to life! I had to hang it up to keep my company while putting the finishing touches on the basement. After its totally finished Ill hang my screen.

Can anyone quickly tell me if there is anything I should do as far as settings changes or anything else? There is a lot of pages and a lot of info so its hard to keep up without reading through everthing. Whats the latest firmware, if its not current should I update? Thanks for any info...

Heres a couple images I took with my iphone, so obviously it isnt doing it justice. One is during the day and one during the night, both being projected on a brown painted wall.

post #8037 of 9833 Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Liked: 19
Hello, I have one question. I play movies through my laptop and nvidia gt750 and madvr. I set the player to change the resolution to 1080p.24. But when I have checked the stereoscopic 3d in control panel of the nvidia and I start the mp player in 2d movie my projector change in 3d mode. And appears red the screen. To avoid this I have to uncheck the stereoscopic in control panel. Is little annoying this cauce every time I have to see 3d movie I have to check it again and to passed the calibration procedure for 3d in nvidia control panel. Any idea why is happening this?
post #8038 of 9833 Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
After 843 hours on my lamp, I finally updated from 1.05 to 1.08 using the instructions as listed 943 times in this and other threads. Thanks to everyone for posting the version upgrade instructions, file locations and the various color settings. This PJ continues to amaze me in the color, detail, and lack of RBE (luckily for me... wink.gif )

If you're new (mpg32), welcome, but please read a bit before you ask too many questions. 2 posts above yours indicates the current version and detailed instructions. Locations of files are 2 pages back. Locations of suggested color settings are scattered over 269 pages, about 210 times.

Search is your friend. smile.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)
post #8039 of 9833 Old 03-19-2014, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
---- and how does this upgrade play out on a macbook pro ??

Well, I do live happily ever after on 1.05 no plan to upgrade at all esp. now with a perfect adjusted darbee, I have a movie experience just as in them movie theater, happy !
post #8040 of 9833 Old 03-19-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post

---- and how does this upgrade play out on a macbook pro ??

Well, I do live happily ever after on 1.05 no plan to upgrade at all esp. now with a perfect adjusted darbee, I have a movie experience just as in them movie theater, happy !

You must use windows for the upgrade. The big upgrade was 1.06 which fixed a HDMI connection issue. It is now much faster. 1.08 fixed a green tint.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page