BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 270 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8071 of 10660 Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 AM
Member
 
N2Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
@Patty2720
Regarding screen, what is your planned speaker setup? Will your center channel be behind the screen requiring an acoustically transparent screen? Does the screen need to be retractable? The weave of an AT screen would likely be visible at 10' seating position.

100" too big? I don't think so but it comes down to personal preference. Use masking tape and outline the screen on the wall and see how it feels to you at your seating position. There is not a lot of lens shift so take the projector mounting height into consideration when you calculate where the screen would be positioned.

I haven't tried 3D yet so I can't comment on that.

Regarding gaming, I haven't played any first person shooters or "twitch" games but Tomb Raider Def. Ed. with the PS4 on a 120" screen seated at 11' is excellent.
N2Sand is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8072 of 10660 Old 03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
THe_Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty2720 View Post

- What screen should I choose to my W1070? We have some (don't know the word) curtains that makes our bedroom pitch black when drawn, so sunlight isn't an issue.

- The W1070 will be placed 11 feet from the screen, and we will sit 10 feet from the screen, is a 100 inch screen to big?

- On a scale 1-10 how good is the 3D, when sitting 10 feet from a 100 inch?

- Which is the best 3D movie you've seen on the W1070?

- Is it good for gaming?
I went with an Elite fixed frame 120", and sit just a little more than 11ft back. For me, I feel like it's perfect. If it were smaller I'd definitely want to sit closer.

I'd give the 3D a 7/10, with the positive being the large screen size and the brightness the w1070 is able to achieve versus some other brands. I still much prefer the passive 3D on my 65" LG, but the trade off is of course the smaller size.

Tron: Legacy and Hugo standout as my favorites for big screen 3D fun.

As far as gaming, from a technical standpoint this projector is great. It has a low input lag. My personal preference (much to my surprise) is to not game on the projector. In fact, I've really grown to hate it. It's much easier to play when my eyes only need to quickly scan a smaller area (say, a 47" screen) vs. a much larger one. This is certainly debatable and comes down to individual preferences. There are plenty of people on here who undoubtedly love gaming on their big screens.
THe_Flash is offline  
post #8073 of 10660 Old 03-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty2720 View Post

- What screen should I choose to my W1070? We have some (don't know the word) curtains that makes our bedroom pitch black when drawn, so sunlight isn't an issue.

- The W1070 will be placed 11 feet from the screen, and we will sit 10 feet from the screen, is a 100 inch screen to big?

- On a scale 1-10 how good is the 3D, when sitting 10 feet from a 100 inch?

- Which is the best 3D movie you've seen on the W1070?

- Is it good for gaming?
I went with an Elite fixed frame 120", and sit just a little more than 11ft back. For me, I feel like it's perfect. If it were smaller I'd definitely want to sit closer.

I'd give the 3D a 7/10, with the positive being the large screen size and the brightness the w1070 is able to achieve versus some other brands. I still much prefer the passive 3D on my 65" LG, but the trade off is of course the smaller size.

Tron: Legacy and Hugo standout as my favorites for big screen 3D fun.

As far as gaming, from a technical standpoint this projector is great. It has a low input lag. My personal preference (much to my surprise) is to not game on the projector. In fact, I've really grown to hate it. It's much easier to play when my eyes only need to quickly scan a smaller area (say, a 47" screen) vs. a much larger one. This is certainly debatable and comes down to individual preferences. There are plenty of people on here who undoubtedly love gaming on their big screens.


I'm with you on this.

I've found though that it depends on the game: if a game requires you to scan the entire real estate of the screen regularly (an FPS, for instance) bigger isn't better at all. But for those that don't - such as racing games where you're only really focusing on the screen-centre - then the large size contributes massively to immersiveness and is, frankly amazing (in both 2D and 3D).

I also agree with your notions on 3D: it's hotly debated, but passive is IMHO definitely the way to go (like you, I've also got a passive-3D LG). I know that each eye technically 'loses out' on half the vertical resolution, but I just don't care: experience-wise, it's superior. And cheap, non-electronic glasses are part of the reason.

That said, this projector (with its support for triple-flash/144hz for 24p content) does a way better job at 3D than my 120hz Nvidia-3DVision monitor (and does so with almost no noticeable flicker and minimal eye fatigue - unlike said monitor), so it's definitely a solid 3D performer.

My only gripe is actually calibrated brightness in 3D: at 127", it's just bright enough for night-time viewing (I wouldn't mind a bit more). Compared to 2D (which is insanely bright even with ambient light), this is a bit of a disappointment to me. Contrast also takes a bit of a hit in 3D.

At Patty2720's 100" screen size, though, this will be significantly brighter.

With low input lag and an excellent picture, those who don't mind the extra-large screen size will be in their element for gaming.

My go-to game recommendation for big-screen 3D on this projector is definitely the natural-disaster racing sim Motorstorm Apocalypse (on the PS3)!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
kreeturez is offline  
post #8074 of 10660 Old 03-21-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm 10-11 feet from projector to screen in a 100 inch elite motorized 1.1 gain. I'm at 1.0 zoom. With this distance it's the smallest screen for that distance.
bluer101 is online now  
post #8075 of 10660 Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
THe_Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

I'm with you on this.

I've found though that it depends on the game: if a game requires you to scan the entire real estate of the screen regularly (an FPS, for instance) bigger isn't better at all. But for those that don't - such as racing games where you're only really focusing on the screen-centre - then the large size contributes massively to immersiveness and is, frankly amazing (in both 2D and 3D).
That's a good point about center focused games. Despite not gaming with the modern systems, I have enjoyed some retro gaming on older consoles outputting at 4:3.
THe_Flash is offline  
post #8076 of 10660 Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I have a w1070 in my bedroom, projector is about 11ft away and I sit about 10ft away maybe less and I am projecting a 120" image, I find it to be perfect and looks amazing smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
Daniel Chaves is online now  
post #8077 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rew452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Well folks after a week since updating my w1070 from 1.07 to 1.08 I have to say this is one of the best change I've seen since 1.06 which greatly improved HDMI sync times.
1.08 really improves color especially skin tones and picture depth.

I had expected to get Calman and color meters out this weekend but honestly I not sure I want to. The picture is very pleasing as one could ever expect.

I will in the near future but for now, more than acceptable. I have to say for a 1K PJ it is quite remarkable. Can't see how one could go wrong in choosing it.

Point being if you are wondering about the update, do it it is well worth it.

But again Read and re-Read the instructions and double and triple check your settings before clicking the update.

Cheers
Rew

Rew
BenQ W1070 |Lumagen RadianceXS-3D |Panasonic BDT310
Denon AVR-x5200w | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 |TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Titanic Mk 10"
Rew452 is offline  
post #8078 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

Well folks after a week since updating my w1070 from 1.07 to 1.08 I have to say this is one of the best change I've seen since 1.06 which greatly improved HDMI sync times.
1.08 really improves color especially skin tones and picture depth.

I had expected to get Calman and color meters out this weekend but honestly I not sure I want to. The picture is very pleasing as one could ever expect.

I will in the near future but for now, more than acceptable. I have to say for a 1K PJ it is quite remarkable. Can't see how one could go wrong in choosing it.

Point being if you are wondering about the update, do it it is well worth it.

But again Read and re-Read the instructions and double and triple check your settings before clicking the update.

Cheers
Rew

Are you running out of the box settings? I'm using sound and vision settings that seem to be good.
bluer101 is online now  
post #8079 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rew452's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 886
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've used them in the past but 1.08 resets all that for the correction. My pj is over a year old and started on 1.02 so I'm not new to the game.
Check it out.

Rew

Rew
BenQ W1070 |Lumagen RadianceXS-3D |Panasonic BDT310
Denon AVR-x5200w | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 |TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Titanic Mk 10"
Rew452 is offline  
post #8080 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
THe_Flash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So what you're saying then is Cinema mode on 1.08 is near perfect. That's what I suspected. Even still, I'd be curious to see actual measurements in the preset modes from <1.08 and then 1.08.
THe_Flash is offline  
post #8081 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think I'm narrowing down to the w1070 as my upgrade from the 8350.... now I just have to decide to purchase it for $899... wait for it to go down since it seems to have been a lot cheaper the last few months, or buy a refurb straight from Benq for $681 (including shipping) ...choices choices choices
wormraper is online now  
post #8082 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got a refurb and couldn't be happier.
Bachelor is offline  
post #8083 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

I got a refurb and couldn't be happier.

I'm really on the fence with that. Only sad thing is that squaretrade doesn't offer warranties for refurbed items..and the 1 year warranty for the Benq makes me slightly nervous (just used to epson's 2 year + warranties)... I'm tempted on the Optoma HD131xe as well, but I'm worried it might be lower quality than my epson 8350 in 2D ... I want 3D but don't want to suffer a downgrade in 2D quality from my 8350
wormraper is online now  
post #8084 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I had the Epson 8350 for a weekend and I do think it will be a lateral move to the W1070. There is a difference with DLP vs LCD, but I think the black levels and color will be about what you are used to with the Epson. The advantage of the BenQ being 3d support which is amazing at 110" size compared to my 51" plasma. You can always wait for Amazon to drop to $799 where is has been in the past. I'm not sure why it has been stuck at $899 for so long. I got tired of waiting for the price drop and went with a refurb. I liked that it is backed up with a 1 year warranty versus a 90 day like other refurbs out there. There was only 35 hours on the bulb so I consider myself lucky too. I never really liked Optoma and it made it easier for me to not include them in my research. (although I did keep my eye out and did some minimal lurking on the forums about them) I've had my eye on the W1070 for over a year and I just couldn't wait any longer. What's your plan with the 8350?
Bachelor is offline  
post #8085 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

I had the Epson 8350 for a weekend and I do think it will be a lateral move to the W1070. There is a difference with DLP vs LCD, but I think the black levels and color will be about what you are used to with the Epson. The advantage of the BenQ being 3d support which is amazing at 110" size compared to my 51" plasma. You can always wait for Amazon to drop to $799 where is has been in the past. I'm not sure why it has been stuck at $899 for so long. I got tired of waiting for the price drop and went with a refurb. I liked that it is backed up with a 1 year warranty versus a 90 day like other refurbs out there. There was only 35 hours on the bulb so I consider myself lucky too. I never really liked Optoma and it made it easier for me to not include them in my research. (although I did keep my eye out and did some minimal lurking on the forums about them) I've had my eye on the W1070 for over a year and I just couldn't wait any longer. What's your plan with the 8350?

nice, as long as I'm not doing a reverse quality with the 8350 I'm good. the Benq is my poison of choice from the reviews. I've never liked Optoma, just their price lol. so they're only a side thought really

yeah, I'm hoping that the BenQ has a price drop in the next few weeks. it's gone sub 799 a couple times in the last 3 months so I'm hoping it does once more....otherwise I would have already bought it.

my plan for the 8350 is to sell it to a friends who wants one... I love my 8350 (except for the "meh" black levels) but I really want 3D and I prefer the color "pop" of dlps... I WAS going to go higher end and get a Sony HW50ES or a JVC DLA x35 or Panny AE8000 or what not.. but the budget will not allow. not with some recent medical bills
wormraper is online now  
post #8086 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Member
 
caseyparsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post


yeah, I'm hoping that the BenQ has a price drop in the next few weeks. it's gone sub 799 a couple times in the last 3 months so I'm hoping it does once more....otherwise I would have already bought it.

I got it from Amazon for $775ish by using email alert from camelcamelcamel

http://camelcamelcamel.com/BenQ-W1070-1080P-Theater-Projector/product/B00A2T6X0K?context=browse

###
n00b
Projector: BenQ W1070 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-523-K Center: Polk CS10 Fronts: Polk TSi300 Rear:Polk Monitor 30
caseyparsons is offline  
post #8087 of 10660 Old 03-22-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,432
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyparsons View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post


yeah, I'm hoping that the BenQ has a price drop in the next few weeks. it's gone sub 799 a couple times in the last 3 months so I'm hoping it does once more....otherwise I would have already bought it.

I got it from Amazon for $775ish by using email alert from camelcamelcamel

http://camelcamelcamel.com/BenQ-W1070-1080P-Theater-Projector/product/B00A2T6X0K?context=browse

Yeah I added myself to the price tracker today

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
wormraper is online now  
post #8088 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 03:25 AM
Newbie
 
Salokotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello everybody,

 

just one post more regarding the W1070 to keep this thread awake on those difficult times :-).

 

I've never had a projector in my life (I'm 43), but always wanted since I'm 20. Reason I never bought one is it did never make sense to as long as the picture quality was not at least as good as in the public theaters.

 

Well, 6 weeks of avsforum.com and hifi-forum.de (german version of a very successful avsforum) later, I bought the W1070 back in January this year. And the projector is amazing, the picture it throws is just incredible for its size and price, times better than in public theaters. So for anyone who never had a projector before and doesn't want to make a purchase mistake, take this one. You won't be disappointed.

 

Some points:

- I see NO RBE. But I also don't know what to look at, to see it. And I never took care to find any thread which explains what to analyze to see it. But one thing I can tell you is that I've never seen any artifacts on the thrown picture, so how can I see RBE? I believe 99% of the buyers won't see it (and 99% of the seers won't be bothered by it) and it's hyped up in forums... .

- I've got firmware 1.6 and very happy with it, no reason to update it (don't touch a running system which makes you already happy).

- Noise: yes, it's here. So what? It's a very steady noise and doesn't bother at all if you enjoy a movie. The little noise it does simply disappears during the movie. But if you buy a projector as a social forum currency and want to analyze everything and post color palette system layouts, instead of to watch movies, so it's a good projector too, cause you've got something to complain about. ;-)

- Picture quality, colors, strength, possibility to make 4-5 meter large screens without reduction in quality and fun, TOP.

 

Ok, I got one negative point:

- the W1070 is down in my basement (7x5 meters). The bad thing of my basement room is that it has a light wood floor, completely white walls and white ceiling, and a low ceiling of around 2.05 meters. I really see well how the light on the walls shines back to the screen and washes it out. But this is the status quo and we all enjoy movies as still the picture is amazing. The point I wanted to bring is that the first 2 weeks after the purchase, the projector was in our living room as we had a large wall where a new purchased furniture for it didn't arrive yet. Our living room has dark wood floor, curtains and dark/red wood french furniture, so a lot of things which eats up light. And, well, the picture those first 2 weeks, was maybe 10x better than in our basement today. Nice blacks, strong colors, super contrast. So the negative point here is that with a W1070, you'll have no reason to buy a new projector for a long time as its potentials are so much higher than your environment will be able to offer it. Except you already own a bat cave, but I have an (unproven) feeling that bat cave owners buy something else than a W1070, so people like me probably are more the target market of a W1070 (living room or multi-purpose basement owners).

 

For all first time buyers, take the W1070's. It's an amazing piece.

 

Greetings from Switzerland,

Salo

Salokotti is offline  
post #8089 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Member
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salokotti View Post
 

- I see NO RBE. But I also don't know what to look at, to see it. And I never took care to find any thread which explains what to analyze to see it. But one thing I can tell you is that I've never seen any artifacts on the thrown picture, so how can I see RBE? I believe 99% of the buyers won't see it (and 99% of the seers won't be bothered by it) and it's hyped up in forums... .

on a high contrast picture or movie (best is in B&W), quickly move your eyes left and right. if you can see rainbows, you got quick eyes. if you cant, your eyes are just too slow.

Ceremony is offline  
post #8090 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
Salokotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

My problem is that I don't know why I should turn my head quickly around while watching a nice movie. It just doesn't fit, or are you sporadically jumping your head left-right while watching movies? Would look funny if some hundred people would do that every now and then in a public theater ;-). Still a fantastic projector for the savourer of movies.

Salokotti is offline  
post #8091 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Your head doesn't have to move, just your eyes following fast action can be enough.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is offline  
post #8092 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ellisr63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern California, In the HT
Posts: 2,172
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 253
If you see no RBE... Be happy and don't look for it. Once you figure out how to find it you will see it more often. It is not something you want to see.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
ellisr63 is offline  
post #8093 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Member
 
Stilletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yulee, Florida
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

If you see no RBE... Be happy and don't look for it. Once you figure out how to find it you will see it more often. It is not something you want to see.

This^^^

Ignorance is Bliss, Trust me.


If you look hard enough, you can find something wrong with absolutely everything...
ellisr63 likes this.
Stilletto is offline  
post #8094 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Member
 
Stilletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Yulee, Florida
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OK, so I broke down and bought this thing....It is truly everything I thought it would be....and more....I am truly impressed.
What I do not understand is why anybody would want a TV anymore biggrin.gif

So, Best Buy has absolutely NO glasses in store that will work with the Benq??
I do plan on ordering some of the suggestions throughout this thread but I really wanted to watch some 3D NOW eek.gif

Oh well....I'll just have to settle for the gorgeous 2D picture for now!
Stilletto is offline  
post #8095 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
filtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty2720 View Post

Change of plans, my girlfriend now wants me to put it into our bedroom, which is nice because there is MUCH more space. So time for some new questions tongue.gif 



- What screen should I choose to my W1070? We have some (don't know the word) curtains that makes our bedroom pitch black when drawn, so sunlight isn't an issue.

- The W1070 will be placed 11 feet from the screen, and we will sit 10 feet from the screen, is a 100 inch screen to big?

- On a scale 1-10 how good is the 3D, when sitting 10 feet from a 100 inch?

- Which is the best 3D movie you've seen on the W1070?

- Is it good for gaming?

At 11 feet I don't think you will be able to do 100" -- mine is about 10ft from a 110" screen and it's as small as it will get at that distance.
filtor is offline  
post #8096 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 PM
Member
 
TLJester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

1080p24 - 192Hz so effective color wheel speed - 3.2x (192Hz/60Hz=3.2)

1080p50 - 300Hz so effective color wheel speed - 5x (300Hz/60Hz=5)

1080p60 - 240Hz so effective color wheel speed - 4x (240Hz/60Hz=4)

doubt the w1500 differs from from the w1070 in terms of RBE. but hell, what do I know?

P.S. RBE @ 50Hz is still noticeable but not distracting unlike m on my previous VS Pro9000...

Just checking - I wasn't able to run 3D SBS when my PC outputs at 50Hz. Does that sound correct to you?
TLJester is offline  
post #8097 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJester View Post

Just checking - I wasn't able to run 3D SBS when my PC outputs at 50Hz. Does that sound correct to you?

Correct; it's not an option (at least not using RGB color space); only Top/Bottom is available at 50Hz.

But note that color wheel speeds in 3D aren't the same as those in 2D due to the need for alternating sequential left/right images.

In 3D mode, the fastest color wheel speed is (ironically) at 24Hz: changing from 2D to 3D at 50Hz actually slows the wheel down.

I'm assuming this is due to 144Hz-triple-flash and can confirm that rainbows are almost as invisible at 24Hz/3D as they are at 50Hz/2D.

My guess - and it's just a guess - is that the wheel is running at 288Hz (effective) in 3D Mode at 24Hz; so stick to this if rainbows are an issue.

So: 50Hz in 2D; and 24Hz in 3D for the RBE-sensitive.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
kreeturez is offline  
post #8098 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
dvzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is your 1070 losing settings when left unplugged for a while? I have noticed that my settings do get reset if I unplug the projector and leave it unplugged overnight. I noticed it loses all color, contrasts, CMS, etc. but keeps batter hours, I am on 1.08 now. Just curious if I need to check with Benq... but then getting a out of focus refurb is not an exciting option either...
dvzzz is offline  
post #8099 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

Is your 1070 losing settings when left unplugged for a while? I have noticed that my settings do get reset if I unplug the projector and leave it unplugged overnight. I noticed it loses all color, contrasts, CMS, etc. but keeps batter hours, I am on 1.08 now. Just curious if I need to check with Benq... but then getting a out of focus refurb is not an exciting option either...

This doesn't sound right: I leave mine unplugged (well, plugged in but with the outlet switched off) every night (I power down that entire section of the house); sometimes for 48 hours or more and have never seen this happen...

I'm using 1.08 as well. I think if it bothers you check this with BenQ. It's strange that it should persist lamp-hours and not anything else.

Edit: You don't think it's being surged when plugged back in, do you? (Are you physically unplugging; or just toggling the power switch of the plug outlet?)

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
kreeturez is offline  
post #8100 of 10660 Old 03-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Member
 
caseyparsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sounds like a dead CMOS battery...assuming it has one.

###
n00b
Projector: BenQ W1070 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-523-K Center: Polk CS10 Fronts: Polk TSi300 Rear:Polk Monitor 30
caseyparsons is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off