BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 271 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 10166 Old 03-23-2014, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is actually connected to the UPS. I have tried physical plug/unplug but I am not thinking that surging is causing it, I doubt it has a CMOS battery, more likely capacitor that went bad. It is only 2 weeks old and 90 hours on the counter. Focus is uniform and I am hearing that most of the replacement refurbs are with poor edge/corner focus... Benq is not too worried about quality of their refurbs, I take it.

I assume if CMOS capacitor is bad then lamp hours will be reset too, but not the case... hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

This doesn't sound right: I leave mine unplugged (well, plugged in but with the outlet switched off) every night (I power down that entire section of the house); sometimes for 48 hours or more and have never seen this happen...

I'm using 1.08 as well. I think if it bothers you check this with BenQ. It's strange that it should persist lamp-hours and not anything else.

Edit: You don't think it's being surged when plugged back in, do you? (Are you physically unplugging; or just toggling the power switch of the plug outlet?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 10166 Old 03-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post

It is actually connected to the UPS. I have tried physical plug/unplug but I am not thinking that surging is causing it, I doubt it has a CMOS battery, more likely capacitor that went bad. It is only 2 weeks old and 90 hours on the counter. Focus is uniform and I am hearing that most of the replacement refurbs are with poor edge/corner focus... Benq is not too worried about quality of their refurbs, I take it.

I assume if CMOS capacitor is bad then lamp hours will be reset too, but not the case... hmm.

Yeah I don't think modern consumer devices (other than PC's) do CMOS batteries anymore - flash memory is cheap nowadays.
Surprisingly if we do a 'Reset All Settings' (at least under 1.08), the menu still saves lamp-hours: so it's as if your unit is doing a reset-all when being powered down (or up).

Maybe to rule out supply issues (or anything related to your UPS), run it off direct mains for a day or two before contacting BenQ. It'd be annoying if you got a refurb only to experience the same issue (with 'free' non-uniform-focus to go with it!). Let us know if you try.

That said, serious focus non-uniformity isn't particularly common on this model; generally speaking smile.gif

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8103 of 10166 Old 03-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will give direct mains connect a shot.

Anyone purchased a Square Trade for this projector? Anyone bought through Costco?

Quote:

Yeah I don't think modern consumer devices (other than PC's) do CMOS batteries anymore - flash memory is cheap nowadays.
Surprisingly if we do a 'Reset All Settings' (at least under 1.08), the menu still saves lamp-hours: so it's as if your unit is doing a reset-all when being powered down (or up).

Maybe to rule out supply issues (or anything related to your UPS), run it off direct mains for a day or two before contacting BenQ. It'd be annoying if you got a refurb only to experience the same issue (with 'free' non-uniform-focus to go with it!). Let us know if you try.

That said, serious focus non-uniformity isn't particularly common on this model; generally speaking smile.gif
post #8104 of 10166 Old 03-23-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone ever tried this screen material? http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-PROFESSIONAL-GRADE-16-9-HDTV-PROJECTOR-SCREEN-MATERIAL-PROJECTION-SCREEN-/281219220322
I have heard decent things about it. I am currently using a VERY temporary solution of white posterboard (semi glossy) which actually looks really good, except for the lines where it goes together of course...
I am trying to build on a budget, so I was looking at low cost options.

BTW:

The w1070 I recieved from Amazon has:

FW 1.06
No focus problems
No fan noise (crickets)
Haven't noticed RBE yet at all and I am pretty susceptible to it
No heat/shutdown issues
Very little picture noise
No screen aberrations
Puts out alot of heat
Makes a fair bit of fan noise
HDMI switching is quick and precise
Using a 15ft HDMI cable from newegg super cheapo $5 and it works fine BTW
Projecting a 81" image from 8"5"

Haven't scrutinized for uniformity issues but I probably will
post #8105 of 10166 Old 03-23-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've noticed that several times in the last few pages people have talked about overheating... is that a common issue that I should look out for?
post #8106 of 10166 Old 03-24-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilletto View Post

Has anyone ever tried this screen material? http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-PROFESSIONAL-GRADE-16-9-HDTV-PROJECTOR-SCREEN-MATERIAL-PROJECTION-SCREEN-/281219220322
I have heard decent things about it. I am currently using a VERY temporary solution of white posterboard (semi glossy) which actually looks really good, except for the lines where it goes together of course...
I am trying to build on a budget, so I was looking at low cost options.

BTW:

The w1070 I recieved from Amazon has:

FW 1.06
No focus problems
No fan noise (crickets)
Haven't noticed RBE yet at all and I am pretty susceptible to it
No heat/shutdown issues
Very little picture noise
No screen aberrations
Puts out alot of heat
Makes a fair bit of fan noise
HDMI switching is quick and precise
Using a 15ft HDMI cable from newegg super cheapo $5 and it works fine BTW
Projecting a 81" image from 8"5"

Haven't scrutinized for uniformity issues but I probably will

It is very good material at a great price. The material is as described and comes rolled. You must be careful when you construct the screen. Follow the directions that the seller provides. I would suggest purchasing screen clips and Black Velvet tape also sold on Ebay. They make for a more professional job.
post #8107 of 10166 Old 03-24-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

It is very good material at a great price. The material is as described and comes rolled. You must be careful when you construct the screen. Follow the directions that the seller provides. I would suggest purchasing screen clips and Black Velvet tape also sold on Ebay. They make for a more professional job.

Thanks for that....I am thinking you probably pointed out the stuff for me originally many many pages ago...I ordered it today. I have never worked with real screen material before but if it is anything like this posterboard as far as gain/clarity then I am going to absolutely love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

I've noticed that several times in the last few pages people have talked about overheating... is that a common issue that I should look out for?

I wouldn't say "common" really, probably pretty isolated. I think it depends on the environment..If you put the PJ in an area where there is little airflow or no AC then you should expect issues. But in an average interior condition I do not think you should worry.
post #8108 of 10166 Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 61
gotcha, I was double checking to see if it was a known design flaw... I live in AZ, but I keep my house in the 70-78 range all summer long and it's in a decent sized room.
post #8109 of 10166 Old 03-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
After following this thread for a year, I finally got the projector last week. I also have a Mitsubishi HC3800 and an Acer H5360BD, and I'd like to give my subjective comparisons for anyone familiar with either of those projectors and are thinking about the W1070.

I have a 90" 2.5 gain screen. Both my HC3800 and H5360BD have over 2000 hours, so I'm trying to keep in mind that I'm comparing middle aged lamps to a fresh one in the W1070. All of these projectors I run in eco mode (not Smart Eco). My W1070 has firmware 1.07.

W1070 vs HC3800

The W1070 is much brighter and much sharper. I'm surprised how much sharper it is despite them both being 1080p DLP projectors. With ambient light, the W1070 is of course much better.

In a darkened room, I think the HC3800 is a little better thanks to its good ANSI contrast. Without an ND filter on the W1070 however it's a little hard to compare contrast in this environment, as the difference in brightness between the two is so obvious. The HC3800 is a little dimmer than I would like at this point, but otherwise gives a nice rich image. The W1070 is very bright, but not too bright for my tastes even in the dark. Black levels seem to be the same, accounting for brightness as best I can. Not great, but not bad in either. I should note that I had to turn brightness down to 46 on my W1070 to reach its native black level. In any case, the W1070 won't be replacing my HC3800.

W1070 vs H5360BD

Brightness seems comparable in both 2D and 3D. The W1070 looks a little brighter in both modes but I think this is likely due to the aging bulb in my H5360BD. 2D image quality seems more natural in the W1070 thanks to the RGBRGB color wheel vs the H5360BD's RGBCMY. The main reason I got the W1070 was for 3D Blu-rays, and of course it's better thanks to native 1080p (I watched Prometheus, The Hobbit, and Pacific Rim). I assume the 144hz mode is also improving the image, but I can't say I can specifically pick it out. 3D Blu-rays just overall look a lot better.

I also play a lot of PC games in 720p 3D (Nvidia) and I was a little concerned about how it would look upscaled to 1080p vs viewed on a native 720p projector. However, I think it looks slightly better upscaled on the W1070 thanks to being smoother and having a less obvious pixel structure. Once I get up the nerve to upgrade the firmware to 1.08 I'll be able to use TriDef at 1080p SBS 60fps, which will allow me to play some games in 3D that don't work well with Nvidia 3D.

So unlike with the HC3800, I think the W1070 is a straightforward upgrade vs the H5360BD.

One comparison I didn't make above is fan noise. That was one of my biggest concerns before buying the W1070. While it is louder than the other two projectors, in practice I don't notice it, so it's a non-issue for me. All 3 projectors are/were shelf mounted about two feet behind my head.
kreeturez likes this.
post #8110 of 10166 Old 03-24-2014, 06:28 PM

Anyone found a way to choose the input source directly, like a one-button way rather than going through the menu of all inputs? Wish they put buttons on the remote for that.
post #8111 of 10166 Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasure View Post

Anyone found a way to choose the input source directly, like a one-button way rather than going through the menu of all inputs? Wish they put buttons on the remote for that.

A harmony universal remote fixes that problem.
post #8112 of 10166 Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 AM

Uhh....my remote does have buttons for that...
post #8113 of 10166 Old 03-25-2014, 02:37 AM

Anyone that have tried to exchange fan for a silent one?
I would love to get something that dont sound like a chopper over my head smile.gif

Anyone who know how to do it?
post #8114 of 10166 Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilletto View Post

Uhh....my remote does have buttons for that...

The new-style remote (like this one) shipped with recent W1070 models now has buttons for this (and it's also backlit); but early adopters got the old-style remote (this one) which lacked dedicated keys for different inputs.
THe_Flash likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8115 of 10166 Old 03-25-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

The new-style remote (like this one) shipped with recent W1070 models now has buttons for this (and it's also backlit); but early adopters got the old-style remote (this one) which lacked dedicated keys for different inputs.

FYI - that first link doesn't point to the right place -- but I too have a newer pj (got it in late Dec '13) and it has the new remote with dedicated input buttons... just to confirm what's being said. wink.gif
post #8116 of 10166 Old 03-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Can confirm, bought this a couple weeks ago and came with new-style remote which has dedicated input buttons.

post #8117 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you have the old remote and your unit is under warranty you can call Benq and ask them to send you the new remote. They have done this for several people. Have your serial number and purchase date ready,.
post #8118 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So during my talks with BenQ about my 3D distorted picture issue over 3 weeks back I had also mentioned that I had a speck on the inside of my lens which showed up only in very dark scenes as a fuzzy dot on the screen. I had posted about this awhile back in a W1070 thread of someone having the same problem. During my emailing with the tech back an forth members here helped me with the distorted picture issue. After that the tech offered an RMA to send it in for the speck on the lens and to update the firmware. I had only about a month of warranty left and was hesitant to send it in since the remaining issue wasn't that big of a deal and I could have done the firmware update myself. Well I decided to get caught up on a few movies before I sent it in and noticed during the parental guidance screens before the previews that 1/3rd of the right side was darker than the rest of the screen. So I added that to the RMA and sent it in. I received an email from BenQ on March 19th that stated "I would like to inform you that our repair has a shortage in parts to repair your projector. They would like to send you a replacement. Is it ok?". Well before I could reply they sent out a refurbished unit. The email was sent the same day the refurb was shipped. I received the refurb on March 26th. My only two complaints thus far is the firmware is 1.07 I wished an would have thought they would send them out with the latest available firmware. Also why did they send me an email asking for permission about a replacement if they where going to send it anyway? Haven't had much time with the new unit yet just wanted to post my experience with getting mine fixed. BenQ tech told me that they send refurbished units if the original is older than 30 days old (would guess that is standard?). Lastly thanks to bluer101 who I have been messaging back and forth since he just went through the process of getting his fixed.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #8119 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post

on a high contrast picture or movie (best is in B&W), quickly move your eyes left and right. if you can see rainbows, you got quick eyes. if you cant, your eyes are just too slow.

That's interesting! I came to the conclusion that It was response time of individuals eyes that determined if you could see RBE or not but its nice to hear somebody else confirming it. RBE is only seen by a small percentage of the population so I am told so I guess a small percentage of us just have more advanced vision than people who don't see RBE.tongue.gif I am not sure which group is the luckiest though to be honest cause sometimes I wish I couldn't see it!
post #8120 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

That's interesting! I came to the conclusion that It was response time of individuals eyes that determined if you could see RBE or not but its nice to hear somebody else confirming it. RBE is only seen by a small percentage of the population so I am told so I guess a small percentage of us just have more advanced vision than people who don't see RBE.tongue.gif I am not sure which group is the luckiest though to be honest cause sometimes I wish I couldn't see it!

I see it too but not bad on this projector. I have asked people if they see something like rainbows. They always say no until I point it out how to see them. Once you see it you will always know what to look for. I have to say it's not like your going to see a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow but a flash of rainbow light.
post #8121 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

So during my talks with BenQ about my 3D distorted picture issue over 3 weeks back I had also mentioned that I had a speck on the inside of my lens which showed up only in very dark scenes as a fuzzy dot on the screen. I had posted about this awhile back in a W1070 thread of someone having the same problem. During my emailing with the tech back an forth members here helped me with the distorted picture issue. After that the tech offered an RMA to send it in for the speck on the lens and to update the firmware. I had only about a month of warranty left and was hesitant to send it in since the remaining issue wasn't that big of a deal and I could have done the firmware update myself. Well I decided to get caught up on a few movies before I sent it in and noticed during the parental guidance screens before the previews that 1/3rd of the right side was darker than the rest of the screen. So I added that to the RMA and sent it in. I received an email from BenQ on March 19th that stated "I would like to inform you that our repair has a shortage in parts to repair your projector. They would like to send you a replacement. Is it ok?". Well before I could reply they sent out a refurbished unit. The email was sent the same day the refurb was shipped. I received the refurb on March 26th. My only two complaints thus far is the firmware is 1.07 I wished an would have thought they would send them out with the latest available firmware. Also why did they send me an email asking for permission about a replacement if they where going to send it anyway? Haven't had much time with the new unit yet just wanted to post my experience with getting mine fixed. BenQ tech told me that they send refurbished units if the original is older than 30 days old (would guess that is standard?). Lastly thanks to bluer101 who I have been messaging back and forth since he just went through the process of getting his fixed.

Thanks for the recognition.
post #8122 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I see it too but not bad on this projector. I have asked people if they see something like rainbows. They always say no until I point it out how to see them. Once you see it you will always know what to look for. I have to say it's not like your going to see a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow but a flash of rainbow light.

I think in time you can learn to ignore it. Its just a bit jarring when you first see the red/green/blue flash in your peripheral vision.
That said I see similar rainbow artefacts on my Viera Plasma every now and again. My eyes are particularly sensitive to any sort of deviation or anomaly though including fluctuations in brightness.
post #8123 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

I just noticed one recently. Is it just dust/dirt? I've been toying with the idea of taking the lamps apparatus out and giving the area a cleaning.

post #8124 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM

I've been waiting for someone to figure out how to replace the fan. I find the noise level really annoying. The projector is right above my chair and during the quieter parts of movies the hum is very distracting.
post #8125 of 10166 Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

I just noticed one recently. Is it just dust/dirt? I've been toying with the idea of taking the lamps apparatus out and giving the area a cleaning.

On mine you could see it on the inside of the lens when the projector was off of course. It looked like a very small piece of white plastic. If I had to guess mine likely was baked on the lens from all the heating and cooling cycles that it went through. As far a repairing it I would be worried that I'd make matters worse by trying to fix it myself. Is yours very noticeable?

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #8126 of 10166 Old 03-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't recommend taking the bulb out to try and clean the dust blobs. The problem requires further disassembly to fix. I've tried blowing compressed air through the unit and it only resulted in more dust blobs. I've learnt to live with it but I'm probably not far away from cracking it and calling BenQ. I think I'm slowly getting more blobs. I imagine dust attracts dust so it's only going to get worse.
post #8127 of 10166 Old 03-27-2014, 01:47 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microryan View Post

I've been waiting for someone to figure out how to replace the fan. I find the noise level really annoying. The projector is right above my chair and during the quieter parts of movies the hum is very distracting.

You will wait a long time.....

The fan isn´t the Problem it´s the size of the fan.

To cool the pj there has to be a necessary mass of air per time pushed through the pj.

No fan with the same size can do this with a less rpm, so if you want to cool the pj with less noisy fans you need bigger ones and fix them on the outside, develop adapters and so on.

putting the pj in a hushbox is much easier.
post #8128 of 10166 Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

W1070 vs H5360BD

A little more of my impressions if it's helpful to anyone:

I spent a little more time two days ago playing 720p 3D PC games, Dark Souls in particular. I've played about 100 hours of it on the H5360BD, so I'm very used to how it looks on that projector. On the W1070, I was getting a sinking feeling that the image just wasn't as good. White portions of the image looked bright enough, but overall the image looked rather dark, murky, lacking color, and a little greenish. This was with 2.2 gamma, 46 brightness (calibrated for black level), 60 contrast, Brilliant Color on, and eco lamp.

Yesterday I set about seeing if I could fix this. What ultimately worked was I went into Color Management and I turned up the Saturation of every color 5 points, except green. This restored color to what I expected. Next I found that gamma is better at 2.0 or even 1.8. This made the image look a lot less murky and made shadow details much easier to see. Lastly I set the lamp to Smart Eco (this should have been obvious). These three adjustments in combination significantly boosted the image quality, such that it looks brighter and richer than what I had on the H5360BD, so I'm very happy now. Lowering the gamma below 2.2 might not sound like a good idea, but ultimately the 3D image looks a lot better to me.
post #8129 of 10166 Old 03-28-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Had something weird happen today. I'm trying to get my motorized screen to work
With the benq trigger. I hooked it up and turned the projector on. The screen did not come down. So I unplugged the 3.5 cable from the screen and plugged it back in and the screen came down. After about a minute I unplugged the 3.5 from the screen and the screen went up. So I was like its working because of 12 volt keeps it down then no volts it goes up.

This is where it got weird. About a minute after the screen came down I left the cable hanging and I hear 1 beep from the PJ and look up and the lens was black/ off. I grabbed the remote thinking it went into standby since I had no source on during this whole time. The remote did nothing and I look up and the power light is steady red, WTF! I immediately disconnected the trigger. Screen goes up.

So with the projector having no fans, no light output, just red light I got in a chair and unplugged the PJ. Waited about a minute and plugged back in. The light was red then went orange like its off, normal standby. So I turn on the PJ and everything is normal and playing a movie as we speak.

So WTF happened?
post #8130 of 10166 Old 03-28-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 169
bluer101,

It appears BenQ wired the screen trigger different from standard (..?).

I went through it here in the thread if you feel like doing a search for it (I posted the information).

Jason
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page