BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 272 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #8131 of 11398 Old 03-28-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

bluer101,

It appears BenQ wired the screen trigger different from standard (..?).

I went through it here in the thread if you feel like doing a search for it (I posted the information).

Jason

I found your posts.

I used a stereo extension plugged into the PJ. Then plugged a mono 3.5 into the extension. Then took the positive/tip and negative/sleeve and wired to the supplied RJ45 port wire as per Elite Screens instructions. If it's stereo out on the PJ then maybe the mono was shorting out the stereo female on the extension cable. I have no idea what to do.

I guess my PJ shut itself down in error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 11398 Old 03-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

I got a refurb and couldn't be happier.

I ordered one too along with 110" screen. Both should arrive Monday. Can't wait smile.gif.
post #8133 of 11398 Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Perhaps someome can help me understand this..... I originally bought 6 pieces of white posterboard (kinda shiny on one side) for 33 cents each at walmart and made a temporary screen. It looked GOOD, except for the lines where they go together of course.
Then, I ordered some matte white 1.0 gain material(Da Lite) to make my own fixed screen. Honestly, when I compare the material side by side I just cannot tell the difference...Am i missing something here??? eek.gif
post #8134 of 11398 Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilletto View Post

Perhaps someome can help me understand this..... I originally bought 6 pieces of white posterboard (kinda shiny on one side) for 33 cents each at walmart and made a temporary screen. It looked GOOD, except for the lines where they go together of course.
Then, I ordered some matte white 1.0 gain material(Da Lite) to make my own fixed screen. Honestly, when I compare the material side by side I just cannot tell the difference...Am i missing something here??? eek.gif
If you look at the back of your posterboard, you'll see the image bleeds through despite how thick that foam is. A screen that's painted white or simply made with good pigmentation won't do that because more of the light is being dispersed toward the viewers, but it isn't a big difference. The neat thing is how easy it is to roll some cheap, flat, white paint onto any suitably flat surface and get the same results. The flat paint and the large surfaces common to projection combine nicely so that even the flaws of a terrible paintjob don't show up..especially if you use thin/cheap paint, it actually seems to help!

If you feel like saving some money if you ever need a different screen, check out the DIY screen forums.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #8135 of 11398 Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 PM

Liked: 12
I have enough of this Da Lite material to build the screen (and yes it has a black backing to it..) I am just surprised that the cheap paperboard really was just as good. I mean it isn't even foam board, just thin cardboard. The only thing that I could tell is perhaps the flesh tones on the Da Lite were a wee bit better...

So far I have had 0 issues with the w1070...fantastic PJ
post #8136 of 11398 Old 03-28-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For w1070 owners. You guys happy with your w1070 purchase? Any major issues with the unit? Plan to upgrade soon? Use until the unit break? I'm ready to buy my first projector and w1070 have rave reviews. Is it the best projector for first timer? I was going to buy the jvc rs46 but can't justify darken out the living room. Epson 6030 seems to be able to get away with just curtains. Price gap just make w1070 a better buy for first time?
post #8137 of 11398 Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 AM

Liked: 11

@Duckfan2012

regarding your question, here an earlier post of mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Salokotti View Post

Hello everybody,

just one post more regarding the W1070 to keep this thread awake on those difficult times :-).

I've never had a projector in my life (I'm 43), but always wanted since I'm 20. Reason I never bought one is it did never make sense to as long as the picture quality was not at least as good as in the public theaters.

Well, 6 weeks of avsforum.com and hifi-forum.de (german version of a very successful avsforum) later, I bought the W1070 back in January this year. And the projector is amazing, the picture it throws is just incredible for its size and price, times better than in public theaters. So for anyone who never had a projector before and doesn't want to make a purchase mistake, take this one. You won't be disappointed.

Some points:

- I see NO RBE. But I also don't know what to look at, to see it. And I never took care to find any thread which explains what to analyze to see it. But one thing I can tell you is that I've never seen any artifacts on the thrown picture, so how can I see RBE? I believe 99% of the buyers won't see it (and 99% of the seers won't be bothered by it) and it's hyped up in forums... .

- I've got firmware 1.6 and very happy with it, no reason to update it (don't touch a running system which makes you already happy).

- Noise: yes, it's here. So what? It's a very steady noise and doesn't bother at all if you enjoy a movie. The little noise it does simply disappears during the movie. But if you buy a projector as a social forum currency and want to analyze everything and post color palette system layouts, instead of to watch movies, so it's a good projector too, cause you've got something to complain about. ;-)

- Picture quality, colors, strength, possibility to make 4-5 meter large screens without reduction in quality and fun, TOP.

Ok, I got one negative point:

- the W1070 is down in my basement (7x5 meters). The bad thing of my basement room is that it has a light wood floor, completely white walls and white ceiling, and a low ceiling of around 2.05 meters. I really see well how the light on the walls shines back to the screen and washes it out. But this is the status quo and we all enjoy movies as still the picture is amazing. The point I wanted to bring is that the first 2 weeks after the purchase, the projector was in our living room as we had a large wall where a new purchased furniture for it didn't arrive yet. Our living room has dark wood floor, curtains and dark/red wood french furniture, so a lot of things which eats up light. And, well, the picture those first 2 weeks, was maybe 10x better than in our basement today. Nice blacks, strong colors, super contrast. So the negative point here is that with a W1070, you'll have no reason to buy a new projector for a long time as its potentials are so much higher than your environment will be able to offer it. Except you already own a bat cave, but I have an (unproven) feeling that bat cave owners buy something else than a W1070, so people like me probably are more the target market of a W1070 (living room or multi-purpose basement owners).

For all first time buyers, take the W1070's. It's an amazing piece.

Greetings from Switzerland,

Salo

post #8138 of 11398 Old 03-29-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Unless you have a darkened room you probably would be wasting your money on a JVC or other projector with great blacks. I own a JVC RS45 and the Benq 1070 which I use for 3D and casual viewing. I have a totally dark room and the difference is amazing. The 3D on the JVC shows ghosting while there is no ghosting on the Benq. That being said the JVC as many know has great blacks on those movies that have them. The real truth is that for most viewing the Benq is great, It is bright with accurate colors and most films do not even use the deep blacks that people talk about. I have watched many movies and yes there is a big difference in blacks on films such as Skyfall and some action films with the deepest blacks but those films usually represent only a small percentage of one's viewing. The Benq is amazing for its price.
post #8139 of 11398 Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 AM

$649 Refurbished from BenQ direct!!!  

post #8140 of 11398 Old 03-29-2014, 08:50 AM

post #8141 of 11398 Old 03-29-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post

Link for refurb direct @ $677:

http://shop.benq.us/w1070-1080p-home-theater-projector-1004.html

Grrr doesn't work in Canada... frown.gif
post #8142 of 11398 Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM

• rwestley: Any chance of some side-by-side comparison pics of the w1070 and your JVC 

i have a chance to make a reasonable theatre room (not bat cave though) and was wondering if i should just relocate my benq or pic up a used jvc or sony.

i dont have a a chance to demo so would love to see some shots of the difference.

post #8143 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 AM

Liked: 11
little help about subtitles when viewing 3d movies....

1) Should they be seen as being in "front" of the screen (towards the viewer) ?

2) When you take off glasses should they be unclear ?

from the 6-7 3d movies i've watched with my setup i've never seen anything coming out of the screen....depth is excellent ofcourse...so i'm curious if this has to do anything with my setup ...

Using total media theater for 3d from htpc..
post #8144 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by simacu View Post

[*] rwestley: Any chance of some side-by-side comparison pics of the w1070 and your JVC 

i have a chance to make a reasonable theatre room (not bat cave though) and was wondering if i should just relocate my benq or pic up a used jvc or sony.

i dont have a a chance to demo so would love to see some shots of the difference.

I feel that pictures really don't tell the story since the camera often makes adjustments. I can tell you that I use the Benq for most viewing because of the high JVC lamp cost. On films with very inky black scenes the JVC is better. On most films the Benq picture is fine. In your situation you might even prefer the extra brightness of the Benq. If you want to see decent screen shots look, at the reviews on Projector Reviews. They will give you some idea of what to expect. If you were considering a new projector I might suggest the JVC 4910 but I would not consider a used projector instead of the Benq.
post #8145 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Anyone have any solutions to reduce the heat out of this thing? It makes the room too hot,I almost considered selling the pj off to grab a 4k monitor instead.....eek.gif.
post #8146 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisx View Post

Anyone have any solutions to reduce the heat out of this thing? It makes the room too hot,I almost considered selling the pj off to grab a 4k monitor instead.....eek.gif.

I hear ya. I swear, I could turn off my furnace and my basement would stay warm with the projector. I demoed the 1070 in my house last December and I live in Minnesota. About 1/2 way through a movie I noticed I was feeling so hot and sweating a bit. I bought the 1080St so it will be a bit away from the seating area which will help some. Are you table or ceiling mounting it?
post #8147 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

a few

cheapest... open a window or turn on your ac
or reduce your brightness

a bit more cost involved make a duct and port the heat out of the room such as if you have an attic right above you or your on an exterior wall. .

either way you do not want to reduce the cooling of the unit unless you want your bulb to fail sooner.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + Nexus Player
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs +(2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #8148 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:

Heat is the price of brightness on a projector due to brighter bulbs generating more heat. As mentioned above, If you're not already, swap over to either Eco or SmartEco to run the lamp dimmer. Turning on High-Altitude mode runs the fans faster and produces the same heat but in a more distributed manner; though it's more noisy.

And if you're not already ceiling-mounted, doing so makes both heat and fan-noise much less of an issue.

But TBH, If your room is poorly ventilated enough that a projector is sufficient to heat up the entire room, you should consider either improving ventilation or switching over to a TV; since this isn't good for the projector nor it's bulb and will likely shorten the life of both.

I run in Smart-Eco and whilst there's a lot of heat out the front vent, the room (which isn't all that large) is ventilated well enough such that it makes no difference to ambient room temperature.

One other thing that'll help: if you're running Smart-Eco, see if your input device has a plain-black screensaver; since SmartEco dims the bulb (and thus runs it cooler) when the input image is darker: so when you're not actively using the projector, it'll then generate less heat.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8149 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The technical date claims a draw of 353 Watts, so if it isn't something magical it can produce a maximum of 353 Watts of heat

in relation with the size of the picture it's fairly low, imagine what a 100" LCD or Plasma will draw.

A hard working human with 75 kg in weight will radiate more than 300 Watts, a couch potato munching chips will radiate (at 20°C room temperature) around 100 Watts
post #8150 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyparsons View Post

Well I did it. I bricked the projector trying to update the firmware. One of the manuals I downloaded from earlier in this thread instructed to set the Skip Bootloader Area to 128KB, which I now know is WRONG. More research turned up that 32KB is the correct value.

Silly me, I trusted the first thing I read. My fault.

The PJ still has the single red light, which indicates "download mode" but the DLP Composer won't recognize the projector. ANY IDEAS? If not, I'll call BenQ on Monday and play dumb (won't be too hard).

For those who were following a few pages back... I sent the PJ back to BenQ (at my expense ~$10), they repaired it under warranty, and sent it back to me 2 day shipping for free. Pretty good support experience overall. Almost no communication, and lack of answers over email, but in the end the PJ is back and working, and was fixed for free. No hassle or questions at all about *how* it broke.

###
n00b
Projector: BenQ W1070 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-523-K Center: Polk CS10 Fronts: Polk TSi300 Rear:Polk Monitor 30
post #8151 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If you have the old remote and your unit is under warranty you can call Benq and ask them to send you the new remote. They have done this for several people. Have your serial number and purchase date ready,.

I contacted BenQ regarding a new remote. They said I would need to send the unit in for a firmware upgrade, and they couldn't guarantee me the new remote. Not going to happen - I don't want to be without my unit, and I don't need a firmware upgrade wink.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
post #8152 of 11398 Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post

Link for refurb direct @ $677:

http://shop.benq.us/w1070-1080p-home-theater-projector-1004.html

Is there any other projector that can beat this one at this price range?
post #8153 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

No.

Jason
bori likes this.
post #8154 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

No.

Jason

What's the warranty on the refurbished ones?
post #8155 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 01:02 AM

Of course if you asked the same question to an hd25 or hd131xe owner you would undoubtably get a different answer

post #8156 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

What's the warranty on the refurbished ones?

One year same as the new ones
post #8157 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by simacu View Post

Of course if you asked the same question to an hd25 or hd131xe owner you would undoubtably get a different answer

Not if they were being honest. wink.gif

Jason
post #8158 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 01:42 AM

Does anybody have working links to the latest W1080ST Firmwares & tools?
post #8159 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

My ceiling is around 7feet high. What ceiling mounts are you guys using or recommend?
post #8160 of 11398 Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

That's tough to say. I know I ordered it (should get it today) because I thought it was the best projector at this price range.

But who knows...also, even it is the best it won't be long before it's supplanted. Whether by its successor or another brand. That's technology.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page