BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 273 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8161 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

That's tough to say. I know I ordered it (should get it today) because I thought it was the best projector at this price range.

But who knows...also, even it is the best it won't be long before it's supplanted. Whether by its successor or another brand. That's technology.

I ordered it too for the price. It seems like u can't go wrong at that price.
bori is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8162 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ftoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,232
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 183
At that price it is the cheapest rgbrgb color-wheeled 1080p DLP. Once the 7900's are all gone there won't be a competing rgb 1080 dlp model under $1000. The cheapest LCDs approaching similar levels of contrast are even more expensive. Full warranty sounds awesome.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Ftoast is online now  
post #8163 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I ordered it too for the price. It seems like u can't go wrong at that price.

It should be arriving today along with the elite 110" screen. Hopefully I can get it all hooked up and be able to watch a movie. Might have to wait until after sundown since it'll be in my family room. frown.gif
lsdec is offline  
post #8164 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 AM
Member
 
AaronPSU79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm thinking about getting a screen as large as 150" for my W1070 and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with screens in this size range. For the past year I've been projecting a 115" screen onto a bare white wall, projector set to smart eco, and it works pretty well with modest light control (usually just closing the blinds during the day is fine). By my math a 150" screen would have about 70% greater screen area. I'm concerned the little W1070 will not put out enough lumens to illuminate a screen this large unless I black out the room, which will not always be possible. I'm hoping that with a high quality screen, and maybe adjusting the pj settings, it will be bright enough.

If 150" is too big I would probably go with 135" instead. So if anyone has used a screen 135" or larger what type of screen did you use? What size? What gain? Manufacturer? And what settings did you use on the W1070 and how does the image look? What sort of light control is necessary for your setup?

Thanks for your help smile.gif
AaronPSU79 is offline  
post #8165 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bachelor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Utah
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPSU79 View Post

I'm thinking about getting a screen as large as 150" for my W1070 and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with screens in this size range. For the past year I've been projecting a 115" screen onto a bare white wall, projector set to smart eco, and it works pretty well with modest light control (usually just closing the blinds during the day is fine). By my math a 150" screen would have about 70% greater screen area. I'm concerned the little W1070 will not put out enough lumens to illuminate a screen this large unless I black out the room, which will not always be possible. I'm hoping that with a high quality screen, and maybe adjusting the pj settings, it will be bright enough.

If 150" is too big I would probably go with 135" instead. So if anyone has used a screen 135" or larger what type of screen did you use? What size? What gain? Manufacturer? And what settings did you use on the W1070 and how does the image look? What sort of light control is necessary for your setup?

Thanks for your help smile.gif

If you already have the projector, just use it to test yourself with your current conditions. If you need to table mount it to physically move it back, go ahead and do so. You'll be able to compare with what you are used to on your blank wall if it is bright enough. (I only have 110" and it's plenty bright."
Bachelor is offline  
post #8166 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Member
 
AaronPSU79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post

If you already have the projector, just use it to test yourself with your current conditions. If you need to table mount it to physically move it back, go ahead and do so. You'll be able to compare with what you are used to on your blank wall if it is bright enough. (I only have 110" and it's plenty bright."

Well, I'm going to be moving so the pj will be in a larger room which is why I'm thinking of a bigger screen. So at the moment I cannot actually check it in the room it will be going into. I could disconnect it from it's ceiling mount and play around with it some here, but even with that I'm still not sure how big of an effect a new screen will have on brightness. I was considering using a screen with some gain, maybe 1.1 or 1.2, to help out with brightness. So, is it worth 2 or 3 hours of effort disconnecting it, running cables over, then having to re mount it and align it when I'm done, just to try out projecting a larger picture on the wall, when I still have no way to know what it will actually be like with a screen and in a different room with different lighting conditions? I'm not really sure that's worth it if it's not going to give me any kind of a definitive answer. That's why I was curious how it has worked for other people with a large screen. No reason for me to do all that work when the collected wisdom of these forums can likely give me an answer that will be much more informative smile.gif
AaronPSU79 is offline  
post #8167 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,187
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

It should be arriving today along with the elite 110" screen. Hopefully I can get it all hooked up and be able to watch a movie. Might have to wait until after sundown since it'll be in my family room. frown.gif

Sundown?? I watch in our family room during the day on Eco not smart Eco. Yes night is great but this PJ is a light cannon.
bluer101 is offline  
post #8168 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Sundown?? I watch in our family room during the day on Eco not smart Eco. Yes night is great but this PJ is a light cannon.

That's great news! I got the screen and projector. Hard to believe its a refurb, the BenQ looks brand new.

Now I just gotta mount the screen smile.gif.
lsdec is offline  
post #8169 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
So what mounts are u using for the ceiling?
bori is offline  
post #8170 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So what mounts are u using for the ceiling?

I was going to Home Depot and buy some brackets and eye hooks and S hooks. I'm thinking the wall is better.
lsdec is offline  
post #8171 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
eHotCafe PRB-717-WHT Universal Projector Ceiling Mount by eHotCafe http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COF74G2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_fYCotb0N8A7P5

anyone try this ceiling mount?
bori is offline  
post #8172 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPSU79 View Post

...anyone has used a screen 135" or larger what type of screen did you use? What size? What gain? Manufacturer? And what settings did you use on the W1070 and how does the image look? What sort of light control is necessary for your setup?
I use the W1070 on a 161" diagonal Draper Ultimate Access V screen with 1.3 gain white surface.

I have the projector in low brightness mode, in my unfinished basement with open walls, and ceiling. Walls are covered with insulation with the silver backing on it. Floors are cement. Yeah, it's a horrendous setup, and the projector still fills the screen with plenty of brightness for 2D use with some lights on. No, I'm not kidding, and this is the 5th or 6th projector I've had now over the past 15 years.

I have not played with 3D yet on the screen, but I do have some glasses so I need to give it a try.
hagsi likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #8173 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So what mounts are u using for the ceiling?
Ceiling mounts?

You are going to hear the range of options out there for ceiling mounts from fixed extension junk from under $30 to models near $200. I'm going to say that, flat out, the best mount I've ever used, and I've used over a dozen different mounts, is the Chief RPMAU, which is an expensive one.

The thing to keep in mind is the following with ceiling mounts:

1. Is it universal? Many are, some are not. You should get a universal mount if at all possible so you can use it on this projector, and your next projector without having to rebuy.
2. Is the connection point to the projector sturdy? Cheaper models tend to flex some. Some flex a lot. The arms that hold the projector are thin and weak and allow the projector to move a bit.
3. Are the adjustments easy to use? Most are not. They tighten down with screws, that shift the projector slightly. Half a degree of 'slip' and the projector is off by an inch. So, easy to use adjustments allow for more precise setup, far more quickly.
4. Are the adjustments able to be locked down tightly? Many can, some can't. Some mounts just aren't able to properly secure the projector in place, so when you bump it, or make and adjustment, it throws the projector alignment off slightly. What a pain!
5. Does it offer quick release? Some do, some don't. Quick release makes it easy to pull a projector down to take it with you somewhere, or to swap out a lamp when it fails. In a fixed installation, not as big of a deal, but still helpful to have this added convenience.
6. Does it offer flexible installation height? Many do not. Some offer limited amount, some offer none. Industry standard from better manufacturers is the use of 1.5" pipe available from hardware stores. This pipe comes in pre-cut lengths or can be purchased at a specific length. Using standard pipe increases the flexibility of the installation significantly, but adds to the price some.

All that said, the Chief RPMAU pretty much maxes out the quality in all departments and is often available on eBay for under $100.

Here is one right at $100:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121287899855?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d527acf

This one is a phenomenal deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/360886115305?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item54067d1be9

As is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/141241562854?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item20e2a736e6

These mounts are far better than pretty much anything else out there.
ellisr63 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #8174 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

eHotCafe PRB-717-WHT Universal Projector Ceiling Mount by eHotCafe http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COF74G2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_fYCotb0N8A7P5

anyone try this ceiling mount?
No, but it falls into the generically cheap category. Weak mounting points, thin metal, tough to adjust, not that robust of a design, no height adjustments. Very typical for cheap.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #8175 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My ceiling is 7ft 7inches would the chief RPM mount work well for my situation?
bori is offline  
post #8176 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I know this might not make sense, but does anyone have there center speaker mounted behind the screen towards the top? I might have issues trying to find a spot in front. If anyone is doing this how does it sound cause I ordered the 100 inch elite to pair with this projector.
bori is offline  
post #8177 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

My ceiling is 7ft 7inches would the chief RPM mount work well for my situation?

Yes, you can use the mount and bolt it directly to the ceiling without any extension if you want to get the projector as tight to the ceiling as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I know this might not make sense, but does anyone have there center speaker mounted behind the screen towards the top? I might have issues trying to find a spot in front. If anyone is doing this how does it sound cause I ordered the 100 inch elite to pair with this projector.
Any speaker located behind a non-acoustically transparent screen will hurt sound quality. Mount the speaker under the screen somewhere or find a good place for that speaker.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #8178 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
schmidtwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I use the W1070 on a 161" diagonal Draper Ultimate Access V screen with 1.3 gain white surface.

You have the largest screen I've heard for this PJ! Mine is ~135" diagonal, Elite Screen White 1.1 gain. Plenty of brightness from the W1070 at that size, but I do have a light controlled room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Schmidt Haus Theater - WIP (or not) since 2010
schmidtwi is online now  
post #8179 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Yes, you can use the mount and bolt it directly to the ceiling without any extension if you want to get the projector as tight to the ceiling as possible.
Any speaker located behind a non-acoustically transparent screen will hurt sound quality. Mount the speaker under the screen somewhere or find a good place for that speaker.



Yes the only thing is that I have I 65inch Dlp sitting on the entertainment stand. I want to keep it there for general use. I don't know what I am going to do but I will need to figure out something.
bori is offline  
post #8180 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Daniel Chaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA (Valley Village)
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I have always wondered about AT screens, some people have HUGE speaker setups behind them and yes I know they are perforated to let sound pass BUT surely even on a tight screen there is still some vibration/movement of the screen? I was always curious about that, I suppose the farther you sit back the less likely you are to notice it or am completely wrong which I am fine being wrong in this case lol.

Can we get some pictures of people using 135" plus screen sizes of the projector in action and the distance and zoom they are using?
hagsi likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
Daniel Chaves is online now  
post #8181 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Ceiling mounts?

You are going to hear the range of options out there for ceiling mounts from fixed extension junk from under $30 to models near $200. I'm going to say that, flat out, the best mount I've ever used, and I've used over a dozen different mounts, is the Chief RPMAU, which is an expensive one.

The thing to keep in mind is the following with ceiling mounts:

1. Is it universal? Many are, some are not. You should get a universal mount if at all possible so you can use it on this projector, and your next projector without having to rebuy.
2. Is the connection point to the projector sturdy? Cheaper models tend to flex some. Some flex a lot. The arms that hold the projector are thin and weak and allow the projector to move a bit.
3. Are the adjustments easy to use? Most are not. They tighten down with screws, that shift the projector slightly. Half a degree of 'slip' and the projector is off by an inch. So, easy to use adjustments allow for more precise setup, far more quickly.
4. Are the adjustments able to be locked down tightly? Many can, some can't. Some mounts just aren't able to properly secure the projector in place, so when you bump it, or make and adjustment, it throws the projector alignment off slightly. What a pain!
5. Does it offer quick release? Some do, some don't. Quick release makes it easy to pull a projector down to take it with you somewhere, or to swap out a lamp when it fails. In a fixed installation, not as big of a deal, but still helpful to have this added convenience.
6. Does it offer flexible installation height? Many do not. Some offer limited amount, some offer none. Industry standard from better manufacturers is the use of 1.5" pipe available from hardware stores. This pipe comes in pre-cut lengths or can be purchased at a specific length. Using standard pipe increases the flexibility of the installation significantly, but adds to the price some.

All that said, the Chief RPMAU pretty much maxes out the quality in all departments and is often available on eBay for under $100.



So these mounts are universal? They will work with the WP 1070?

Here is one right at $100:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121287899855?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d527acf

This one is a phenomenal deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/360886115305?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item54067d1be9

As is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/141241562854?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item20e2a736e6

These mounts are far better than pretty much anything else out there.
bori is offline  
post #8182 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post


So these mounts are universal? They will work with the WP1070?
bori is offline  
post #8183 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DaGamePimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: WA State
Posts: 15,593
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I use a 133" perm wall, viewing distance ranges from 12' to 13' (rounded seating positions) and PJ is about 14' from screen.

I have no issues with lumen's @ D65/6500K in a very dark room (dark walls and total light control).

I am likely hanging on to the w1070 until we have solid, 1000+ lumen, 1080p LED dlp projectors available for ~ $2500. wink.gif

Jason
DaGamePimp is offline  
post #8184 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
When using the BenQ calculater. They state top of screen and bottom of screen. Just the be clear the top of screen will be the white part of the top and bottom. Not the black border correct? Below is the one I ordered and the benQ calculator.

Elite Screens 100 Inch 16:9 Spectrum Electric Projector Screen (49"Hx87.2"W) E... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YTRFEG/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_TyHotb075PKE3AXK via @amazon


http://www.benq.com/microsite/projector/throwratiocalculator/
bori is offline  
post #8185 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Member
 
N2Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

eHotCafe PRB-717-WHT Universal Projector Ceiling Mount by eHotCafe http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COF74G2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_fYCotb0N8A7P5

anyone try this ceiling mount?

I have that exact mount. Everything that AV_Integrated says about it is probably true but for my ceiling height, screen size, fixed installation, etc., it was "good enough". Installation was quick and easy and alignment hasn't changed. Just make sure during installation that you do everything from center of lens rather than center of mount (the center of the mount will not be at the center of the screen).

N2Sand is offline  
post #8186 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Sand View Post

I have that exact mount. Everything that AV_Integrated says about it is probably true but for my ceiling height, screen size, fixed installation, etc., it was "good enough". Installation was quick and easy and alignment hasn't changed. Just make sure during installation that you do everything from center of lens rather than center of mount (the center of the mount will not be at the center of the screen).



Did u install screen first than projector?
bori is offline  
post #8187 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Oh yeah. They will work
wormraper is online now  
post #8188 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Ceiling mounts?

You are going to hear the range of options out there for ceiling mounts from fixed extension junk from under $30 to models near $200. I'm going to say that, flat out, the best mount I've ever used, and I've used over a dozen different mounts, is the Chief RPMAU, which is an expensive one.

The thing to keep in mind is the following with ceiling mounts:

1. Is it universal? Many are, some are not. You should get a universal mount if at all possible so you can use it on this projector, and your next projector without having to rebuy.
2. Is the connection point to the projector sturdy? Cheaper models tend to flex some. Some flex a lot. The arms that hold the projector are thin and weak and allow the projector to move a bit.
3. Are the adjustments easy to use? Most are not. They tighten down with screws, that shift the projector slightly. Half a degree of 'slip' and the projector is off by an inch. So, easy to use adjustments allow for more precise setup, far more quickly.
4. Are the adjustments able to be locked down tightly? Many can, some can't. Some mounts just aren't able to properly secure the projector in place, so when you bump it, or make and adjustment, it throws the projector alignment off slightly. What a pain!
5. Does it offer quick release? Some do, some don't. Quick release makes it easy to pull a projector down to take it with you somewhere, or to swap out a lamp when it fails. In a fixed installation, not as big of a deal, but still helpful to have this added convenience.
6. Does it offer flexible installation height? Many do not. Some offer limited amount, some offer none. Industry standard from better manufacturers is the use of 1.5" pipe available from hardware stores. This pipe comes in pre-cut lengths or can be purchased at a specific length. Using standard pipe increases the flexibility of the installation significantly, but adds to the price some.

All that said, the Chief RPMAU pretty much maxes out the quality in all departments and is often available on eBay for under $100.

Here is one right at $100:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121287899855?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d527acf

This one is a phenomenal deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/360886115305?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item54067d1be9

As is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/141241562854?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item20e2a736e6

These mounts are far better than pretty much anything else out there.



I ended up buying the one for 23 bucks. Hopefully it fits and comes with all the parts.
bori is offline  
post #8189 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM
Member
 
N2Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Did u install screen first than projector?

Yes, I did mount the screen first but only because I wasn't certain that the screen was centered in the housing or if it was slightly offset due to the motor or electronics. As it turns out it was centered in the housing so all of my preliminary measurements and blue masking tape was right on. However, it did provide added confidence regarding the projector distance to be able to turn the projector on, push it and the attached mount to the ceiling, and then make some quick and rough projector zoom adjustments to ensure the image size and centering was correct.
N2Sand is offline  
post #8190 of 10443 Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So these mounts are universal? They will work with the WP1070?
The Chief universal mounts will work with almost any projector on the market. I use it with my W1070 without any issue whatsoever.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off