Originally Posted by bori
So what mounts are u using for the ceiling?
You are going to hear the range of options out there for ceiling mounts from fixed extension junk from under $30 to models near $200. I'm going to say that, flat out, the best mount I've ever used, and I've used over a dozen different mounts, is the Chief RPMAU, which is an expensive one.
The thing to keep in mind is the following with ceiling mounts:
1. Is it universal? Many are, some are not. You should get a universal mount if at all possible so you can use it on this projector, and your next projector without having to rebuy.
2. Is the connection point to the projector sturdy? Cheaper models tend to flex some. Some flex a lot. The arms that hold the projector are thin and weak and allow the projector to move a bit.
3. Are the adjustments easy to use? Most are not. They tighten down with screws, that shift the projector slightly. Half a degree of 'slip' and the projector is off by an inch. So, easy to use adjustments allow for more precise setup, far more quickly.
4. Are the adjustments able to be locked down tightly? Many can, some can't. Some mounts just aren't able to properly secure the projector in place, so when you bump it, or make and adjustment, it throws the projector alignment off slightly. What a pain!
5. Does it offer quick release? Some do, some don't. Quick release makes it easy to pull a projector down to take it with you somewhere, or to swap out a lamp when it fails. In a fixed installation, not as big of a deal, but still helpful to have this added convenience.
6. Does it offer flexible installation height? Many do not. Some offer limited amount, some offer none. Industry standard from better manufacturers is the use of 1.5" pipe available from hardware stores. This pipe comes in pre-cut lengths or can be purchased at a specific length. Using standard pipe increases the flexibility of the installation significantly, but adds to the price some.
All that said, the Chief RPMAU pretty much maxes out the quality in all departments and is often available on eBay for under $100.
Here is one right at $100:
This one is a phenomenal deal:
As is this one:
These mounts are far better than pretty much anything else out there.