BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 275 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8221 of 10613 Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I believe so. All my measurements prior to getting screen and PJ were pretty much right on give or take an inch, within that range.

I used a laser level to help get my pj perfectly 90% from screen and center. Plus using ing a framers square too.

I'll be doing the same w/ the laser level..nice!

I'll be mounting mine in within 2 weeks. What a pain it is having it on the table. One bummer is I have no way of hiding the HDMI cable run.

Also, another challenge is when I take my ceiling fan down, I have to convert it to an outlet.

Anyone tweak their picture using ISF settings? I put a THX calibration disc with mild ambient light and I have to put the brightness at 51 to avoid crushing the black. Seems a little bright for me - I like 43-44 better but then it looks like it's losing detail.

I just put in Avatar last night - still can't believe the quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 10613 Old 04-02-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So what mounts are u using for the ceiling?
Ceiling mounts?

You are going to hear the range of options out there for ceiling mounts from fixed extension junk from under $30 to models near $200. I'm going to say that, flat out, the best mount I've ever used, and I've used over a dozen different mounts, is the Chief RPMAU, which is an expensive one.

The thing to keep in mind is the following with ceiling mounts:

1. Is it universal? Many are, some are not. You should get a universal mount if at all possible so you can use it on this projector, and your next projector without having to rebuy.
2. Is the connection point to the projector sturdy? Cheaper models tend to flex some. Some flex a lot. The arms that hold the projector are thin and weak and allow the projector to move a bit.
3. Are the adjustments easy to use? Most are not. They tighten down with screws, that shift the projector slightly. Half a degree of 'slip' and the projector is off by an inch. So, easy to use adjustments allow for more precise setup, far more quickly.
4. Are the adjustments able to be locked down tightly? Many can, some can't. Some mounts just aren't able to properly secure the projector in place, so when you bump it, or make and adjustment, it throws the projector alignment off slightly. What a pain!
5. Does it offer quick release? Some do, some don't. Quick release makes it easy to pull a projector down to take it with you somewhere, or to swap out a lamp when it fails. In a fixed installation, not as big of a deal, but still helpful to have this added convenience.
6. Does it offer flexible installation height? Many do not. Some offer limited amount, some offer none. Industry standard from better manufacturers is the use of 1.5" pipe available from hardware stores. This pipe comes in pre-cut lengths or can be purchased at a specific length. Using standard pipe increases the flexibility of the installation significantly, but adds to the price some.

All that said, the Chief RPMAU pretty much maxes out the quality in all departments and is often available on eBay for under $100.

Here is one right at $100:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121287899855?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d527acf

This one is a phenomenal deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/360886115305?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item54067d1be9

As is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/141241562854?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item20e2a736e6

These mounts are far better than pretty much anything else out there.

Just got the Chief RPM mount awesome deal. The quality of this mount is high end. Thanks for the link. Do you know of any links on installing this mount? I might have to install it directly to ceiling cause my ceiling is only 7'8".

humu4yze.jpg

hebe4ese.jpg

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
post #8223 of 10613 Old 04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:

When determining the height the projector should be mounted on a ceiling. Am I correct to assume the height from the ceiling is measured from the center of the lens to the ceiling?
Any and all measurements when discussing projector placement are from the front of the lens, and to the center of the lens.
Quote:

Do you know of any links on installing this mount? I might have to install it directly to ceiling cause my ceiling is only 7'8".
I would check You Tube for videos as well as the Chief website - www.chiefmfg.com

It's pretty straightforward overall. You disconnect the lower plate from the mount and put the lower plate on the projector. I'm guessing since it is open box, you may need to go to your local hardware store to get screws which fit your projector, but those should be easy to find. Then put the mount on the projector, make sure it all lines up, and position it on the ceiling so you get proper positioning. Then pull the projector off again, and this time position the mount and actually put it in place. Once it is up, then you can just quick connect the projector back to the mount.

I'm guessing there are a few videos on projector mounting online, but I haven't looked since I'm pretty comfortable with mounting projectors.
bori likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8224 of 10613 Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you that have a TV in the same position as ur projector. Are You guys using a hdmi splutter? If so what did u suggest.
post #8225 of 10613 Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any and all measurements when discussing projector placement are from the front of the lens, and to the center of the lens.
I would check You Tube for videos as well as the Chief website - www.chiefmfg.com

It's pretty straightforward overall. You disconnect the lower plate from the mount and put the lower plate on the projector. I'm guessing since it is open box, you may need to go to your local hardware store to get screws which fit your projector, but those should be easy to find. Then put the mount on the projector, make sure it all lines up, and position it on the ceiling so you get proper positioning. Then pull the projector off again, and this time position the mount and actually put it in place. Once it is up, then you can just quick connect the projector back to the mount.

I'm guessing there are a few videos on projector mounting online, but I haven't looked since I'm pretty comfortable with mounting projectors.

If I don't use a pipe which part of the Mount goes directly on the ceiling?
post #8226 of 10613 Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

For those of you that have a TV in the same position as ur projector. Are You guys using a hdmi splutter? If so what did u suggest.

I use this one http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2

It works great .

post #8227 of 10613 Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't use a splitter. My receiver has 2 HDMI outs. One to the projector, the other to the TV.
post #8228 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by osogovo View Post

I use this one http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2
It works great .

+1

I have used close to 10 different HDMI splitters over the years (still have many sitting here) and the one in the link above is the best I have come across.

Jason
post #8229 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If I don't use a pipe which part of the Mount goes directly on the ceiling?
The piece you have, the mount. It has 4 holes in the top of it, which are visible in both photos you posted. You would take bolts through those 4 holes directly into your ceiling, using the appropriate ceiling support mounts, such as into studs or into Snap-Toggles.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8230 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi all,
A few months back someone had posted a pictorial that showed dis-assembly of the w1070 to clean the dust out of the light engine. I had it bookmarked but have somehow lost it.
Does anyone have the link?

Thanks
Rew

Rew
BenQ W1070 |Lumagen RadianceXS-3D |Panasonic BDT310
Denon AVR-x5200w | C =Axiom VP150 |FL/FR =Axiom M60 |SL/SR =Axiom QS4 |TFL/TFR =Bose 161 |TRL/TRR =Bose 161 |Sub =Titanic Mk 10"
post #8231 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi all,

I bought the W1070 without originally being interested in the 3D feature. But I was curious and so I got the Sainsonic glasses. I have tested them with a PS3 for 3D blu-rays and 3D games and with my computer with Bino player and an AMD gpu (HD 6450). I'm overall entertained by the experience although it does not always feel super comfortable (I do not see the rainbow effect nor cross-talks as far as I can tell but it feels sometimes like I lack precision, as if there was a veil of blur between the screen and me - also action scenes are kind of messy). I still thought that my setup was rendering an average 3D experience.

But today I went to see "the Lego adventure" with my nephews in 3D and I found the experience a lot more comfortable than what I have at home. I could really forget I was watching 3D which is not really possible at home. So I wonder why that is. The movie theater used the Xpand x101 glasses. They are not DLP-link but IR. Could that explain the difference in comfort? Or was that because it is an animation movies and that they work better with 3D (I've never watched an animation movie in 3D at home)? Or am I just wrong to compare a movie theater to a mere blu-ray/$1000 projector?

What's more likely to explain the difference:

- DLP-link vs IR?

- low quality glasses?

- lower resolution of blu-ray (It seems unlikely as frequency should be the same and blu-ray resolution is already quite good)

If I buy new and better glasses, do you think I can get closer to this theater experience? Or is IR inherently better than DLP-link? Or is the W1070 too low end to provide the same level of comfort? I'd like to have a few opinions! Thanks.

post #8232 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1070hfr View Post

Hi all,

I bought the W1070 without originally being interested in the 3D feature. But I was curious and so I got the Sainsonic glasses. I have tested them with a PS3 for 3D blu-rays and 3D games and with my computer with Bino player and an AMD gpu (HD 6450). I'm overall entertained by the experience although it does not always feel super comfortable (I do not see the rainbow effect nor cross-talks as far as I can tell but it feels sometimes like I lack precision, as if there was a veil of blur between the screen and me - also action scenes are kind of messy). I still thought that my setup was rendering an average 3D experience.

But today I went to see "the Lego adventure" with my nephews in 3D and I found the experience a lot more comfortable than what I have at home. I could really forget I was watching 3D which is not really possible at home. So I wonder why that is. The movie theater used the Xpand x101 glasses. They are not DLP-link but IR. Could that explain the difference in comfort? Or was that because it is an animation movies and that they work better with 3D (I've never watched an animation movie in 3D at home)? Or am I just wrong to compare a movie theater to a mere blu-ray/$1000 projector?

What's more likely to explain the difference:
- DLP-link vs IR?
- low quality glasses?
- lower resolution of blu-ray (It seems unlikely as frequency should be the same and blu-ray resolution is already quite good)

If I buy new and better glasses, do you think I can get closer to this theater experience? Or is IR inherently better than DLP-link? Or is the W1070 too low end to provide the same level of comfort? I'd like to have a few opinions! Thanks.

Could be the Sainsonics - they're relatively cheap. I have TrueDepth Firestorm XL glasses and they're excellent. The 3D effect with them is just as good as in a theater with RealD glasses -- no veil of blur or messy action scenes here.
post #8233 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a questions for all of you BenQ1070 owners or those who have experience with this projector. Has anyone seen the BenQ paired with a Black Diamond screen? I am set on getting this screen but not sure if it is worth spending over $3K for a projector like the Sony VPL-HW55ES or the JVC X500R if the picture quality is still very good with the BenQ. I would be using this setup in a dedicated light controlled theater room.

Thanks
post #8234 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

I have a questions for all of you BenQ1070 owners or those who have experience with this projector. Has anyone seen the BenQ paired with a Black Diamond screen? I am set on getting this screen but not sure if it is worth spending over $3K for a projector like the Sony VPL-HW55ES or the JVC X500R if the picture quality is still very good with the BenQ. I would be using this setup in a dedicated light controlled theater room.

Thanks

IMHO you'd be nuts to spend that kinda money on any pj over the 1070... unless you just really wanna spend it.
post #8235 of 10613 Old 04-03-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks
I have now spent several hours looking at the Black Diamond screen... and it is horrible.

To get positive gain back completely destroys the on-screen experience from what I've seen because of serious hot-spotting and sparkling created by a high gain material over the black high-contrast surface.

Instead of dropping three grand on this screen, money is much better spent on paying someone to paint the room dark, putting in brand new dark carpet, painting the ceiling dark, and putting in a Carada Criterion screen in Brilliant White.

I tested the BD screen with a couple of different projectors. I did not bring in my W1070, but the impact of sparking was consistent between projectors and regardless of projector location. Since the room it was in WAS a board room and typical viewing would not be with lights out, but with lights on, it remains the ideal projector for horrible rooms with no real regard for true image quality. But, if you want the best image, a starting point is avoiding that screen completely. Fix the room, get a white screen, enjoy.

post #8236 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Thanks for your reply. I am fortunate that my room is painted dark. I actually used to own a BD screen and yes there were issues with sparkles and hotspotting but it really didn't bother me too much. I do like the look of the Zero Edge but I know there are other screens out there including some from Screen Innovations that offer the no bezel look for much less money.

On another note, I was able to see the BenQW1070 for the first time yesterday and was quite impressed. It is an excellent projector for the money and competes well with those projectors that are 2-3x costlier.
post #8237 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was finally able to score a refurb unit from Benq yesterday afternoon...excited to have the ability to lens shift again...missed that ability from my old Epson.
Bachelor likes this.
post #8238 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Thanks for your reply. I am fortunate that my room is painted dark. I actually used to own a BD screen and yes there were issues with sparkles and hotspotting but it really didn't bother me too much. I do like the look of the Zero Edge but I know there are other screens out there including some from Screen Innovations that offer the no bezel look for much less money.

On another note, I was able to see the BenQW1070 for the first time yesterday and was quite impressed. It is an excellent projector for the money and competes well with those projectors that are 2-3x costlier.

I just got the BenQ and am very impressed with the picture at night. It's in my family room and during the day the picture doesn't quite cut it.

However, it doesn't really compete with that Sony 55ES IMHO. The Sony is a lot better...it's of course a lot more tho.

My thinking was with 4K around the corner in a few years, I figured I'm buying twice so why not go with something like the BenQ, then get the 4K projector when it's more reasonably priced. The $15K sony 4K projector is ridiculously good, but it'll be around $4000 or less in 3 years - otherwise, 4K will die off like 3D.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8239 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:

Ceiling mounts?

You are going to hear the range of options out there for ceiling mounts from fixed extension junk from under $30 to models near $200. I'm going to say that, flat out, the best mount I've ever used, and I've used over a dozen different mounts, is the Chief RPMAU, which is an expensive one.

The thing to keep in mind is the following with ceiling mounts:

1. Is it universal? Many are, some are not. You should get a universal mount if at all possible so you can use it on this projector, and your next projector without having to rebuy.
2. Is the connection point to the projector sturdy? Cheaper models tend to flex some. Some flex a lot. The arms that hold the projector are thin and weak and allow the projector to move a bit.
3. Are the adjustments easy to use? Most are not. They tighten down with screws, that shift the projector slightly. Half a degree of 'slip' and the projector is off by an inch. So, easy to use adjustments allow for more precise setup, far more quickly.
4. Are the adjustments able to be locked down tightly? Many can, some can't. Some mounts just aren't able to properly secure the projector in place, so when you bump it, or make and adjustment, it throws the projector alignment off slightly. What a pain!
5. Does it offer quick release? Some do, some don't. Quick release makes it easy to pull a projector down to take it with you somewhere, or to swap out a lamp when it fails. In a fixed installation, not as big of a deal, but still helpful to have this added convenience.
6. Does it offer flexible installation height? Many do not. Some offer limited amount, some offer none. Industry standard from better manufacturers is the use of 1.5" pipe available from hardware stores. This pipe comes in pre-cut lengths or can be purchased at a specific length. Using standard pipe increases the flexibility of the installation significantly, but adds to the price some.

All that said, the Chief RPMAU pretty much maxes out the quality in all departments and is often available on eBay for under $100.

Here is one right at $100:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPMAU-Projector-mount-with-lock-and-key-/121287899855?pt=US_Projector_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3d527acf

This one is a phenomenal deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/360886115305?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item54067d1be9

As is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/141241562854?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item20e2a736e6

These mounts are far better than pretty much anything else out there.

I just picked up the last one on your link.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8240 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

I just picked up the last one on your link.

Good choice on getting a Chief mount. Just hooked mine up yesterday. This is a really nice mount.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8241 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Good choice on getting a Chief mount. Just hooked mine up yesterday. This is a really nice mount.
What did you use for the post mount... I think the one I got only comes with the part for the projector... Not the ceiling part.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8242 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What did you use for the post mount... I think the one I got only comes with the part for the projector... Not the ceiling part.

I purchased the Chief RPAU projector mount. It comes with the legs that attaches to the projector itself, and then the piece that attaches over that which is bolted into the ceiling joists. I can take a picture or two of it if you'd like. Which model did you buy?
post #8243 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

I purchased the Chief RPAU projector mount. It comes with the legs that attaches to the projector itself, and then the piece that attaches over that which is bolted into the ceiling joists. I can take a picture or two of it if you'd like. Which model did you buy?

This is the one I got... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/141241562854?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item20e2a736e6
I am going to want to flush mount it if possible. Is there another part needed, or does the top come apart and you attach it to the ceiling?

post #8244 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is the one I got... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chief-RPM-Series-Ceiling-Mount-50lbs-/141241562854?pt=US_Projector_Mounts_Stands&hash=item20e2a736e6
I am going to want to flush mount it if possible. Is there another part needed, or does the top come apart and you attach it to the ceiling?

I'm not sure exactly what is going to come with that particular model. I think once you receive the mount and are able to look at it in person the installation will make more sense. I know it did for me. But for a flush mount to the ceiling I doubt you would need additional equipment.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8245 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Per my post earlier. If you look at the top of the mount, there are four holes in the mount which you can put bolts right through and into your ceiling. You don't need any additional parts to do this.

The threaded 1.5" hole in the top plate is if you want to drop it from your ceiling and you can purchase parts for doing this from your local hardware store. But, if you just want to keep it tight to the ceiling, then you don't need this stuff and will just need a few bolts which can properly secure it to your ceiling. Snap Toggles, or go into a ceiling joist if you can.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #8246 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

So do you guys recommend putting up screen first before projector?
post #8247 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

I just got the BenQ and am very impressed with the picture at night. It's in my family room and during the day the picture doesn't quite cut it.

However, it doesn't really compete with that Sony 55ES IMHO. The Sony is a lot better...it's of course a lot more tho.

My thinking was with 4K around the corner in a few years, I figured I'm buying twice so why not go with something like the BenQ, then get the 4K projector when it's more reasonably priced. The $15K sony 4K projector is ridiculously good, but it'll be around $4000 or less in 3 years - otherwise, 4K will die off like 3D.

I agree. That's why I am thinking about holding off on the Sony for now and instead getting a good projector like the BenQ.
post #8248 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 07:26 PM

are you folks saying that this sub $1k Benq compares in any way to the sony 50/55es?

I could save a lot of dough if I went with a benq/screen combo from visual apex.
I am pretty picky about pq - didn't think I could be happy with the benq.

Has anyone actually done a comparison of the benq and sony?
Obviously I would expect the sony to outperform the benq. but at what cost?

I have seen the sony 1000 es, for example. incredible machine. Really awesome. But is it worth $25k?

At some point there is the law of diminishing returns.

my last projector was the optoma H78DC3. It wasn't sharp enough for me, or light enough.. of course I was feeding it DVDs and 720p.

Thoughts?
post #8249 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People often recommend screens without knowing the issues. While I really love the black screens, they have a time, place, and purpose. Home theater is not that time, place, or purpose if at all possible.

A good dark theater - one with true light control like you have, needs a white screen. The benefit of a proper, low gain, white screen in a dark theater is immeasurable to the overall quality of the viewing experience. The benefits of what you achieve with painting a room, far outweigh what a screen can provide, and a good black screen simply can't beat a good theater. So, definitely stick with the white screen.

As for a projector... the W1070 is great, but doesn't hold a candle to the JVC RS46. I haven't seen the Sony first hand, but as a W1070 owner, and having installed several of the JVC units, I know that I would drop my BenQ in a second if the JVC would work for me instead. My setup simply doesn't lend itself to the JVC, but at 92"-120" the JVC simply can't be bested for the money in a proper theater space.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #8250 of 10613 Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benkin View Post

are you folks saying that this sub $1k Benq compares in any way to the sony 50/55es?

I could save a lot of dough if I went with a benq/screen combo from visual apex.
I am pretty picky about pq - didn't think I could be happy with the benq.

Has anyone actually done a comparison of the benq and sony?
Obviously I would expect the sony to outperform the benq. but at what cost?

I have seen the sony 1000 es, for example. incredible machine. Really awesome. But is it worth $25k?

At some point there is the law of diminishing returns.

my last projector was the optoma H78DC3. It wasn't sharp enough for me, or light enough.. of course I was feeding it DVDs and 720p.

Thoughts?

I am in the same boat as you and would love to save some money by going with the BenQ. I have seen both with the same content (Avengers BD) but not side by side. PQ is probably the most important thing to me as well.

I would say the Sony is clearly better in PQ but obviously not 3x better even though the Sony is 3x the cost of the BenQ. IMHO the Sony is about 10-15% better in PQ and I would guess that is much more apparent when you compare side by side. I saw the BenQ first at Fry's on a very cheap motorized matte white screen and thought it looked REALLY good. I then saw the Sony and was also very impressed and The Avengers looked stunning especially faces close up. Keep in mind that the Sony was on display at a higher end home theater store and being projected on a Stewart Firehawk screen so it wasn't really a fair comparison with the BenQ.

All in all, the BenQ is great bang for the buck. I remember telling myself how I could definitely live with the PQ of the BenQ when I first saw it. After seeing the Sony, I went back to see the BenQ expecting not to be as impressed the second time. I was wrong. I was still impressed by the PQ.

Hope that helps
ellisr63 likes this.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page