BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 277 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Got my projector now the exciting part starts. Hopefully I can get it set up right. I bought the refurbished one and the packaging looks brand new.

Just put it somewhere and project it on a wall. I did this but with a king size sheet. We watched it this way for a few days.
bluer101 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Just put it somewhere and project it on a wall. I did this but with a king size sheet. We watched it this way for a few days.

I have the projector screen up already
bori is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I have the projector screen up already

Then hang it an enjoy.
bluer101 is online now  
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Got my projector now the exciting part starts. Hopefully I can get it set up right. I bought the refurbished one and the packaging looks brand new.

It's very easy to setup. I agree with the refurb - what a deal!
lsdec is online now  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking at trying a pj and screen in my bonus room and I would like to do it for less than $1500. This pj looks like a good place to start and see if I will like it. The room is 15 x 21 and I am looking at a 100" to 114" screen. I don't have light control as of now but will add black out curtains for now. If I like a pj set up I have plans for down the road to have full light control. My main question is what is the best screen for the 1070 pj to get in the size I am looking at.
Thanks
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
O by the way don't care about 3d want to watch sports movies tv shows and I don't game but I bet my kids would love to on a big screen.
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Newbie
 
preed88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any idea on when they will have some refurbs in stock?? I missed the deal and even benq is out of stock. Do they refill periodically? Thanks
preed88 is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Deleted
bori is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
When using the tip above and from the link. Are we attaching the string to the corner where the white and black border meet?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/440027/mounting-tips#post_4274616

Sent from the TermiNOTEr 2! ;-)
bori is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Member
 
detzx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How adjustable in the W1070 as far as tilt, zoom, etc? I have an odd setup and I'm trying to run the wires before everything gets here but I'm worried everything will be off by a few inches and I'll have to move it.

My room.



The screen should be about 1' off the wall since there is another tv behind it. The screen is an Elite 125" electric drop down so one of the variables is "top of screen" since when I hang this I'm not sure where the top of the screen will be. Next I have a mount that doesn't change vertically so I might have to add spacers to make it hang lower.

So, back to my original question. Should I just do my best guess using the calculator to where the projector will be and put the wires near there and hope the projector and adjust if I need to move it up/down, side/side, tilt?

Edit: Just found another variable. The lens is not centered so I have to move the projector over a little to make the lense centered?

Another question: My mount allows for about 3" of horizontal movement, should I make it so I can move it side to side or back to back? What does the project do and I'll do the opposite with the mount?
detzx is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by detzx View Post

How adjustable in the W1070 as far as tilt, zoom, etc? I have an odd setup and I'm trying to run the wires before everything gets here but I'm worried everything will be off by a few inches and I'll have to move it.

My room.



The screen should be about 1' off the wall since there is another tv behind it. The screen is an Elite 125" electric drop down so one of the variables is "top of screen" since when I hang this I'm not sure where the top of the screen will be. Next I have a mount that doesn't change vertically so I might have to add spacers to make it hang lower.

So, back to my original question. Should I just do my best guess using the calculator to where the projector will be and put the wires near there and hope the projector and adjust if I need to move it up/down, side/side, tilt?

Edit: Just found another variable. The lens is not centered so I have to move the projector over a little to make the lense centered?

Another question: My mount allows for about 3" of horizontal movement, should I make it so I can move it side to side or back to back? What does the project do and I'll do the opposite with the mount?

If you mount goes side to side then you want that adjustability. Just follow the calculator. Your zoom in and out will take care of the front to back as long as you put it between the 2 measurements the calculator gives you. Meaning with full zoom and no zoom will tell you max and min from your size screen. Also keep in mind for some error.

Yes, you need to compensate for center of lens so adjust over before mounting. Every calculation is from center if lens. In the w1070 is all the measurements from lens to outside body if needed.

As for projector height. This is where I waited to mount everything. I have a 100 elite motorized. If I mounted it directly to my ceiling it would be to high, 8 ft ceiling. I mounted the screen to a board with spacers to bring the screen down. I did this with elite screens measurements. Well needless to say I had an old PDF for measurements and when I put the screen down for the first time it was 3-4 inches higher than where I wanted it. So after I built longer spacers to bring the screen lower. Just like you mine comes down in front of my tv and 1/2 inch off my tv console.

So just be prepared for some changes maybe. I was following the 1/3 screen viewing rule and if I did not move it down I was looking more up like in the front row of a theater. I do not like that. Also when watching 3d it made the depth look like it was going up into the screen as if you are sitting in the floor. You can try it out after you get setup and see for yourself.

Good luck.

BTW: this was my first install ever with a pj and screen. It has been the best money spent for our family and friends. This really makes the whole movie experience.
bluer101 is online now  
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by preed88 View Post

Any idea on when they will have some refurbs in stock?? I missed the deal and even benq is out of stock. Do they refill periodically? Thanks

Projector Supercenter has a refurb for $749. That's where I bought my 1080ST from.
butie120 is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

Projector Supercenter has a refurb for $749. That's where I bought my 1080ST from.

so does projector people
wormraper is online now  
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
butie120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

so does projector people

I don't think they do. It's not listed on their website.
butie120 is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,422
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post

I don't think they do. It's not listed on their website.

Sorry. Its a demo model
wormraper is online now  
Old 04-09-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Ok here is a pic of the dimensions I put in the BenQ calculator. I need your help to determine how high do I mount projector from top of screen? I have a RPM chief mount that I wanted to directly mount to ceiling. But want to make sure I am doing this right. Cause if I do that I cant adjust height.


bori is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I ordered this splitter let me know if anyone is using it or that its ok for this projector.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
bori is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
filtor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 1,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I ordered this splitter let me know if anyone is using it or that its ok for this projector.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should work fine - I have a different/smaller/older model of ViewHD splitter and it passes 3D just fine - can even run TV while pj is on at same time. A powered splitter is the feature needed and that one has it.
bori likes this.
filtor is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Newbie
 
wootpiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I also bought the refurbished model for $677 but I thought I'd mention to keep an eye out on ebay as well. BenQ sells directly on there just like they do on their site and amazon. I personally bought mine from amazon but they stayed in stock on ebay for much longer.

 

I bought mine on 3/23 (Sunday) and it was delivered 3/28 (Friday). During the time between buying the projector, I went out and bought all the supplies and built a screen out of Do-Able board since it seemed the quickest and least expensive. I put together a post showing all of what I did.

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/617173/the-official-untreated-do-able-only-thread/1100_100#post_24589203

wootpiggy is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Ok here is a pic of the dimensions I put in the BenQ calculator. I need your help to determine how high do I mount projector from top of screen? I have a RPM chief mount that I wanted to directly mount to ceiling. But want to make sure I am doing this right. Cause if I do that I cant adjust height.



What you listed means that from lens to ceiling will be 7 inches. Then from ceiling to top of screen will be 9 inches. The bottom of the screen will be 33 inches off the ground. Then you have lens shift that can allow the screen to be further down from 9 inches.

I forgot which screen you have. Measure and see from actual viewing area to ceiling and actual viewing area to floor. Meaning the edge of the screen. Also how far away from the screen are you mounting?
bluer101 is online now  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
When talking about the bottom. Is it including the black border?
bori is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

What you listed means that from lens to ceiling will be 7 inches. Then from ceiling to top of screen will be 9 inches. The bottom of the screen will be 33 inches off the ground. Then you have lens shift that can allow the screen to be further down from 9 inches.

I forgot which screen you have. Measure and see from actual viewing area to ceiling and actual viewing area to floor. Meaning the edge of the screen. Also how far away from the screen are you mounting?
bori is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Member
 
N2Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No, bottom of the screen refers to the bottom of the viewable (white) area.
N2Sand is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Those are the numbers I put in the picture.
bori is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2Sand View Post

No, bottom of the screen refers to the bottom of the viewable (white) area.

Yep!
bluer101 is online now  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Somebody used the 1/3 reference does that mean when setting up your screen that if it is 60" high that you would want the 20" mark at eye level? I was trying to figure out how high off of the floor to hang a screen. I will ask again what is the best screen to use with this pj ?
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post

Somebody used the 1/3 reference does that mean when setting up your screen that if it is 60" high that you would want the 20" mark at eye level? I was trying to figure out how high off of the floor to hang a screen. I will ask again what is the best screen to use with this pj ?
Allen

Yes, I did. You want your eyes around the bottom 1/3 if possible. But this is subject to what you like too. It is not one size fits all. Mine is 100 elite screens motorized. It has a viewable area of 87x49. With my setup my screen bottom is at about 28-29 inches from the ground. My eyes are around 39-40. So I'm just under 1/3. I had it higher first and did not like it at all.
bluer101 is online now  
Old 04-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the information
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
Old 04-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
lsdec's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootpiggy View Post

I also bought the refurbished model for $677 but I thought I'd mention to keep an eye out on ebay as well. BenQ sells directly on there just like they do on their site and amazon. I personally bought mine from amazon but they stayed in stock on ebay for much longer.

I bought mine on 3/23 (Sunday) and it was delivered 3/28 (Friday). During the time between buying the projector, I went out and bought all the supplies and built a screen out of Do-Able board since it seemed the quickest and least expensive. I put together a post showing all of what I did.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/617173/the-official-untreated-do-able-only-thread/1100_100#post_24589203

Why didn't you just get an electric screen?
lsdec is online now  
Old 04-09-2014, 08:11 PM
Newbie
 
wootpiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post


Why didn't you just get an electric screen?

 

What electric screen could I have bought for ~$100 that has equivalent characteristics? I would say I did a fair amount of research before setting out on my project but by no means was it extensive.I also mostly just assumed that they would be out of my price range and stuck solely to the DIY section.

 

As a side note, unless the electric part refers to masking, it really serves me no purpose as that room is dedicated solely as a home theater and I would have no reason to raise or lower a screen.

wootpiggy is offline  
 

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off