BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I think mines going to have to go back,when ever I power off it just beeps and goes into standby without
Any cooling fan process,I'm not going to risk frying my internal components.
Does anyone know the procedure with warranty do they replace it with a new one or test it out and repair it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 AM

For chris8690:

the cooling fan of the projector should already start when you turn it on ... on the left front side of the lens there is the air outlet grille ... when the projector is on hot air should get out of there ... if no air comes out then the fault is on the fan.

For eventual warranty i should contact before who sold you the vpr.
post #813 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Yes the fan is working during operation but as it says in the manual once you power off you press the button twice then a beep and the cooling process begins and lasts for about a minute or so,mine just goes straight into standby and I can hear no fan!!!
post #814 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 07:03 AM

For chris8690:

There is a Quick Cooling feature in advanced system setup menu. It is ON by default,when you switch it OFF the cooling cycle will be longer (approximately 90 sec).
post #815 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks Rekka auto
I will try this...
post #816 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Are these calculations accurate? http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm
I want a W1070 but the throw is too short I think. My projector mount is 3,5 meters from my 100" screen. My current projector is a H5360 that I want to replace with a 1080p projector.
post #817 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodDamage View Post

Are these calculations accurate? http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm
I want a W1070 but the throw is too short I think. My projector mount is 3,5 meters from my 100" screen. My current projector is a H5360 that I want to replace with a 1080p projector.

I think you need to put the projector closer, with no zoom at all the projector must be installed at 3.3 m. With max zoom at 2.6 m.
post #818 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Liked: 11
As per the user manual of W1070, for a 100" screen in 16:9 configuration, the minimum distance is 2.532 m (with max zoom) and 3.291 m (with min zoom). You'll have to move the projector closer to your screen to limit the projected image to 100".

Hope this helps!!!
Juan Samartegui likes this.
post #819 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM

That´s correct. smile.gif
post #820 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM

Compared to optoma hd33 and epson 3020, how does the benq 1070w in terms of 1080p quality, 3D quality, dark scenes, and fan noise?
post #821 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 PM

I found an Epson 3010 is $930 on clearance sale at my local Best Buy (US) today. With tax I can get it for $995. Should I get the 3010 or wait the BenQ W1070? The 3010 won't last long as it is clearance sale. Any thought?
post #822 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

I noticed that there are a few Acer 5360 owners here. My only question is what is the brigtness in 3D mode compared to the Acer. I'm not concerned about sharpness, or resolution, etc. as find all that very acceptable on the Acer in 3D mode. The brightness i the real killer in 3D. The glasses kill 75% of the light it seems. Even thought Acer is one of brighter 3D PJs, seems its never enough for certain darkly filmed 3d movies...

That's no joke! The brightness definitely drops off way too much in 3d mode. Even on a smaller hp screen, I could not watch The Amazing Spiderman due to how dim it was.

RLBURNSIDE - Just curious, what size/gain is the screen you're using with the 1070?
post #823 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If only this had 2D-3D (I know tha'ts blasphemy around here) and somehow to do RF glasses sync it would be so perfect... as is I don't know if I will be able to resist at this price range anyway..

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #824 of 9667 Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Not really sure how to comment about this, I have my plasma on with a cloned display watching the same image on both in movies to compare, and for sure the plasma is better but the motion is great on the PJ, and for the overall size/experience it's no contest. I barely watch my plasma any more. Gonna need burn through bulbs faster than I imagined. There's a 2nd hand lens place downstairs from my loft that sells anamorphic lenses, I might have to pick one up with my next tax return or perhaps sooner.
3D on Prometheus was OK, but the movie was quite dark. Disney / Pixar movies in 3D absolutely rock, my family watched Tangled with the kids and all I heard from the other room was oohs and ahhs. IMAX Under the Sea is a good real life colourful one. Tron 3D looks sick at the opening sequence. I can't say I would enjoy watching too many really dark 3D movies on this as the cheap-o glasses make it a bit too dark for my liking (even in torch mode). But in bright material it's absolutely stunning and incredible. I wish I'd ordered 6 pairs of these Sainsonics rather than 4. All my friends want weekly movie nights at my loft now. weee heee
buy this one guys, can't go wrong at 850
too bad it can't do 1080p 60hz in 3D but I'm looking forward to trying 1080p 30hz with Batman Arkham City ...right now in fact. it was on special on steam and a friend gift sent it to me after we played his copy on my ps3 in 3D. It is SO cool in 3D. Uncharted 3 was really neat too, but the 3D was lower res due to the limits of the console's gfx chip. Silly consoles. PS4 will rock though. hope they have the presence of mind to allow you to customize the 3D settings more than they do now. (like refresh rate and resolution and aspect ratio)

I was seeing mention that the sainsonic glasses do not block the red flash from DLP link... did you find that to be true?

Also sure it's listed somewhere but I am not finding it... what 3D formats does this support? SBS/TB/Checkerboard?

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #825 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

That's no joke! The brightness definitely drops off way too much in 3d mode. Even on a smaller hp screen, I could not watch The Amazing Spiderman due to how dim it was.
RLBURNSIDE - Just curious, what size/gain is the screen you're using with the 1070?

Just on my white wall for now...

Some other amendments for gamers / 3d aficionados out there...

-The "Letterbox" vertical stretch mode works with Side By Side 1920x816x60 interlaced source video, and is STUNNING in widescreen. I can't get over how absolutely insanely cool playing Skyrim on this is (despite the graphical glitches on the AMD card I got...). So that's good news for me, since I was dismayed earlier today when I tried to use this letterbox scaling to pump up 3d frame-packed footage from both my PS3 and WinDVD (PowerDVD doesn't want to work for me, says Prometheus needs an update...lame). Anyway, PowerDVD supports playback using side-by-side which is the best 3D mode to keep the refresh rate at 60hz. So now I got gaming in 3d / cinemascope with vertical stretch and ready for an a-lens, and pretty soon should have the same with blurays played back on my PC. Not sure what I'll do about the PS3, probably stop using it for anything but 2D (even then).

-Tridef drivers only work in interlaced mode in 1080/60 with SBS, but it's really smooth and nice. Can't notice the interlacing at all, even though the sharpness is less.
-AMD sucks for 3D, duh. I wish I'd known that and saved myself some trouble and got an NVidia card from the start, since I'm a big gamer. I'm going to try Batman Arkham City tomorrow (was stuck on Skyrim today), on my PC version, while the PS3 is still fresh in my mind. PC >> PS3 by far. Having pretty close to full HD 3D is sweet.

-To get HD3D and Tridef to switch into 3D mode and not get the dreaded Direct3D error message, switch the catalyst to 1080i, THEN lower the res down to the custom 1920x816 . It's annoying when you quit the game and it's still stuck in 3D though. Gonna get rid of this AMD/ATI pretty soon I think. I got it because I wanted decent HD audio from HDMI out to my receiver, and now it turns out my receiver won't pass through 3D, and I can't handshake 3D properly when using a DVI output from the other videocard output. Might try the displayport to get 3D to my projector and use the HDMI native port into my marantz SR5004 receiver so I don't have to buy an HDMI 1.4a splitter.

So the big issues I had about using 24/30hz for games and getting 3D source content stretched by the PJ in letterbox mode are now solved, yay. I was worried there. I don't think vertical stretch works in frame packed, but I asked the company in a tech support question, if they can fix that in a firmware release it'll be even better. At least my PC can handle it for now. Might even end up pre-stretching the 1920x816 desktop up to 1080p using my Catalyst GPU scaling instead of the projector's built-in version and compare the lag on both in preparation for my constant height plans.
post #826 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTronix View Post

Compared to optoma hd33 and epson 3020, how does the benq 1070w in terms of 1080p quality, 3D quality, dark scenes, and fan noise?

I may as well comment here since it was asked:

I have had a W1070 since a week ago Monday and it was pretty good. Unfortunately it doesn't come with 3D glasses so I didn't a chance to check out 3D.
Anyhow, I like it a lot but noticed a few things I'll mention a bit later that made me wonder if I should at least check the competition out....

So yesterday, I grabbed an Epson 3020 for boxing day price of $1249 Canadian. I fired it up and noticed right away it was super bright in comparison to the
W1070. I mean, it was night and day, especially when I hooked it up to my PC. It was almost an LED-like experience it was bright! The trade-off, however,
was the blacks were slightly elevated on the Epson in comparison. The difference was barely noticeable but I figured it had a lot to do with the brightness.
It seemed like every comparable mode setting on the Epson was brighter than the BenQ by default. The funny thing was, the difference in black level was
negligible in comparison to the bright pop it had. In all honesty, the Epson definitely seemed like the machine to get if you were into videogames or
animated movies that require a nice bright image. in terms of Home Theater, I think the BenQ is a bit better because of the slightly better ANSI contrast
(less washed out blacks on white/black mixed scenes) and it just seemed to be softer on the eyes in movie/cinema mode in the dark.

Moving right along, the 3020 is HUGE in comparison to the W1070, but the zoom, focus, and horizontal keystone knobs were so amazing and easy to use.
The throw distance on this thing is quite a bit larger... yet even at 3 feet away from the W1070, the Epson had much more pop and had just as sharp an image.
In terms of sound, the Epson is super quiet in ECO mode and still pretty quiet (in comparison) in Normal mode. In fact, you can hardly hear it in ECO mode!
I was surprised that, instead of taking almost 2 minutes for the fan to turn off after powering off, the Epson 's fan shut off within 10 seconds. I never got the
impression this unit was hot. Funny enough, the Epson take quite a bit longer to power up.

In terms of Menu... gotta say I preferred the Epson's layout and expanded features (much more flexible than the W1070). I'm able to adjust the colour saturation!
It has quite a suite of convenience features (eg: 10 memory presets for settings) and the standard user adjustments are easier to understand. It's also got
some pretty advanced setting options but I'm not familiar with those, although I checked out some settings here: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-3020/calibration.php
and they worked pretty nicely. There's no ISF or Lens Shift like the W1070 has. Still, what it does have works well and brings out a really nice image.

3D is pretty good on this machine (comes with 2 glasses). Unfortunately, I have nothing on the W1070 to compare it to (no glasses). I had to look real hard to find
any hint of cross-talk. The thing that blew me away was how bright the 3D was! Seems the brightest 3D brightness was as bright if not brighter than the brightest
non-3D setting on the BenQ. Further, the Iris kicks in if you wish for 3D.

In terms of motion, I don't know why but it seemed a whole lot smoother on the 3020 than the W1070. I'm not talking soap-opera effect or anything, it's just that
things seemed much more fluid which really caught me off guard. I gotta say, I find this one of the things that I really like about this projector. Oh, and I noticed
rainbows on my W1070, especially when I moved my head across the screen (or ate potato chips). There was none of that on the Epson.

So, for me, the verdict is the $400 more (due to the special $849 on the W1070) is worth it for the Epson. I really like the W1070, but I think it's so true that the epson
is a nice package. To me, the epson handles the 3 things I really want to use my projector for:
1. Games
2. Animated shows / movies (I'm into japanese Anime)
3. Regular Television viewing.

It's pretty good for movies too (I checked out Prometheus and Batman and, despite the slightly elevated blacks, it was more grey than dark brown like my W1070).
The iris worked well for these scenes... but sometimes scenes that are ansi-contrast intensive were slightly washed out... but not unlike my W1070 which did
the same thing only slightly better but with less detail.
post #827 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 AM

Awesome post. I am confused as to why you are using tri def though...
post #828 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 AM

Where did you get the Epson from?
post #829 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 07:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Not sure about the Acer, but the brightness on the 1070 in 3D is perfect for me. The 2D on the other hand is too bright for me. (Economic+BenQ Glasses+Off White Wall+120")
post #830 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekret View Post

Not sure about the Acer, but the brightness on the 1070 in 3D is perfect for me. The 2D on the other hand is too bright for me. (Economic+BenQ Glasses+Off White Wall+120")

There seems to be something wrong regarding the brightness being too dim. Most of the reviews state that this is a very bright projector with very good motion handling. Projector reviews on their gaming blog said that it was very bright.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/game-projector-blog/review-benq-w1070.html
post #831 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Liked: 15
I am shopping for the Epson 3010 and only can find the 3020...

Is the 3020 the new upgraded version of the 3010?

Rich

Found my answer:

You are here: Home / Projector / Epson Powerlite 3020 vs Powerlite 3010, 5010, and 5020
Epson Powerlite 3020 vs Powerlite 3010, 5010, and 5020
December 24, 2012 By Mudzakir Walad

What is the difference between Epson Home Cinema 3020 and the 3010? The main difference is the color brightness and white brightness where the Epson 3020 has 2300 lumens and the 3010 features 2200 lumens. The brightness means color light output, while the white brightness for white light output.

The Epson 3020 also adds RF 3D Glasses that is a lightweight, rechargeable and fully adjustable glasses allow for eye-popping 3D entertainment. Two pairs of RF 3D glasses included and this is all you need for exciting 3D.

Well I just bought the last 3010 in Phoenix AZ.

As they have been covered so well in two threads here I can see no reason to do another.

post #832 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

So, for me, the verdict is the $400 more (due to the special $849 on the W1070) is worth it for the Epson. I really like the W1070, but I think it's so true that the epson
is a nice package. To me, the epson handles the 3 things I really want to use my projector for:
1. Games
2. Animated shows / movies (I'm into japanese Anime)
3. Regular Television viewing.
It's pretty good for movies too (I checked out Prometheus and Batman and, despite the slightly elevated blacks, it was more grey than dark brown like my W1070).
The iris worked well for these scenes... but sometimes scenes that are ansi-contrast intensive were slightly washed out... but not unlike my W1070 which did
the same thing only slightly better but with less detail.

I guess the only warning I would throw out there regarding gaming on an Epson 3020 or 5020 is that their lag numbers are supposed to be not so great compared to some of the competition. I would consider trying a 5020 if it had good lag times and frame interpolation in 3d. But alas, it doesn't and so here I still am using a Viewsonic pro8200 and Acer H5360 until a miracle happens and I can find a machine with trade-offs that I can live with.
post #833 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess the only warning I would throw out there regarding gaming on an Epson 3020 or 5020 is that their lag numbers are supposed to be not so great compared to some of the competition. I would consider trying a 5020 if it had good lag times and frame interpolation in 3d. But alas, it doesn't and so here I still am using a Viewsonic pro8200 and Acer H5360 until a miracle happens and I can find a machine with trade-offs that I can live with.

The lag time on the Epson will no be as good as the Benq. That being said the Epson is a very good projector. It all depends on how important gaming is to you.
post #834 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The lag time on the Epson will no be as good as the Benq. That being said the Epson is a very good projector. It all depends on how important gaming is to you.

Actually, the lag times are pretty good on it. You have to turn the projector to fast processing (kinda like a game mode)
and it's pretty suitable. I had no issues with it so far.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-3020/index.php#special
50ms is fine for me.

Still, as I said in my shootout between those 2, it's more of a preference thing. If not for the rainbow effects that got worse
for me (and I never imagined I'd be hit by this) as well as the punch in picture, I might have saved the $400 and kept the W1070.
It's still a great projector... but the rainbow effects eventually lead to a sense of judder for me (and the odd headache).
I also forgot to point out that the epson might have similar black levels after all... it's just that I have the projector kinda close
to the screen. The shadow detail on it, however, is much better, regardless.

I'm just a guy with his first projector, by the way, so I'm not exactly the best person to review. I was waiting for Art Freidman to
get his hands on it (damned amazing reviews) but it's taking too long and my 14 days return policy are running out.

Oh, and I got the Epson at Future Shop for the person who asked. I'm happy (although a 5020 would even be better! smile.gif ).
post #835 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If anyone has tips for playing SBS, I would appreciate it. I can't seem to get any 3D when set at 720p/60 resolution using Stereoscopic player. I'm using Intel on board GPU (HD4000) and noticed under it's properties-Monitor Type it says Generic Monitor. I think that means no drivers are installed for the Benq. I went to Benq's site and can find no drivers for this unit. Any suggestions??

Update - Everything seems to work fine at 1080/60i, but that's it. Why not 720/60p?
post #836 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit View Post

Actually, the lag times are pretty good on it. You have to turn the projector to fast processing (kinda like a game mode)
and it's pretty suitable. I had no issues with it so far.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-3020/index.php#special
50ms is fine for me.
Still, as I said in my shootout between those 2, it's more of a preference thing. If not for the rainbow effects that got worse
for me (and I never imagined I'd be hit by this) as well as the punch in picture, I might have saved the $400 and kept the W1070.
It's still a great projector... but the rainbow effects eventually lead to a sense of judder for me (and the odd headache).
I also forgot to point out that the epson might have similar black levels after all... it's just that I have the projector kinda close
to the screen. The shadow detail on it, however, is much better, regardless.
I'm just a guy with his first projector, by the way, so I'm not exactly the best person to review. I was waiting for Art Freidman to
get his hands on it (damned amazing reviews) but it's taking too long and my 14 days return policy are running out.
Oh, and I got the Epson at Future Shop for the person who asked. I'm happy (although a 5020 would even be better! smile.gif ).

I can totally understand it if you are experiencing the RBE. The 5020 is a good alternative for those who see RBE and you got the Epson at a great price.
post #837 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I can totally understand it if you are experiencing the RBE. The 5020 is a good alternative for those who see RBE and you got the Epson at a great price.

Yeah... the RBE was getting worse as the days went by. I was actually forward to trying the W1080 when it came out, but after what I experienced, I realized I
can't handle DLP as good as I thought. I think it's my glasses prescription too as it seems I didn't have any RBE when I took the glasses off.

5020? That's mighty expensive man! 3020 is good enough as an alternative. wink.gif

Glad to see all you guys are enjoying this nice projector though. It really is a keeper at $849 for those who can handle it. BenQ did a superb job at releasing
a quality projector for a very inexpensive price. I really like the form factor and weight. Now I gotta rig this monster 3020 beast on the ceiling and hope it doesn't
fall on my head. frown.gif
post #838 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks a bunch for this info. I have the Epson 3020 but was considering taking it back and getting the cheaper BenQ1070. The 3020 is great but being the first projector and not having any DLP's to compare it to I was hoping the BenQ would be a little better on motion.
post #839 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

If anyone has tips for playing SBS, I would appreciate it. I can't seem to get any 3D when set at 720p/60 resolution using Stereoscopic player. I'm using Intel on board GPU (HD4000) and noticed under it's properties-Monitor Type it says Generic Monitor. I think that means no drivers are installed for the Benq. I went to Benq's site and can find no drivers for this unit. Any suggestions??
Update - Everything seems to work fine at 1080/60i, but that's it. Why not 720/60p?

I too was frustrated that I couldn't get all my SBS files to play. I just set my media player to output 1080i@60hz and everything works now!

Other areas of interest

http://my.T-Nation.com/scotty144

ClubWrx.net Scotty144
post #840 of 9667 Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Well this will most likely be my final report: Here.

Bought the Epson 3010 at Best Buy for $929.00.

After a little connection problems, I got is working and we have been watching Prometheus 3D and wow...

A side Note even with HDMI this projector has color level and tint controls...and once selected they drop down to a single control bar almost completely out of the pictures so you can see what your adjusting...everything I wanted...

After my experience with the BenQ MW516 I got the feeling it is a touch on the cheap side. It would start green and then after a few seconds the red would come up and we got flesh tone.

It also had a problem I only saw with the Infocus X1, a reaction to bright scenes, where it would black out for a second of two...

Overall I am NOT impressed with BenQ.

Rich

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page