BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 282 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8431 of 10395 Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Can the people who are having dust blob problems please advise if their projector was ceiling mounted up side down?

Thanks, just thinking outside the box here and exploring a theory.
kreeturez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 10395 Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Can the people who are having dust blob problems please advise if their projector was ceiling mounted up side down?

Thanks, just thinking outside the box here and exploring a theory.

Ceiling mounted upside down, here!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8433 of 10395 Old 04-16-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I just can't imagine hanging a $1,000+ projection setup from a piece of PVC. I know others do it, but considering the $10 price difference to use heavy gauge steel pipe... I don't get PVC.

PVC Pipe-Schedule 40 is very strong. The pressure ratings and durability far exceed a 5-6 lbs projector. Plus you can cut it easy and to any size you wish. Between pvc glue and 2 per drilled screws it's not going anywhere. If you think there might be an issue with any mount attach a safety cable.

6CBB176A-363D-4CB1-A654-99C04D108541.jpg
post #8434 of 10395 Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I don't see any problem with using PVC for hanging this projector... Now back in the day of a CRT projector I would say no way! My old Epson 1080 was hung from a custom made piece I made out of 2 pieces of plexiglass, and 1/4" screws connecting them together, and it worked out fine.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8435 of 10395 Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I found the plates on the site thanks! pj arriving friday; probably can't play with it until Monday due to work. Le Sigh.

loving my completed home theater. :)
post #8436 of 10395 Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

This was the factory mount but has been discontinued.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824997038

What about this one? I just bought it last week and should have it up in a couple of days.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=899557&gclid=CNzZwefE5r0CFQsSMwod4QMA9w&Q=&is=REG&A=details
post #8437 of 10395 Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I think 3-5 inches to be safe.

So I could go as low as 12inches? That's if 7 inches is the perfect spot correct?
post #8438 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

So I could go as low as 12inches? That's if 7 inches is the perfect spot correct?

If the calculator is telling you 7 inches then that is ceiling to center of lens. I was saying lens shift is 3-5 inches to be safe. You do not want to be lower than the 7 inches. You cannot lens shift up. When you mount the projector upside down and have not used the lens shift yet, the shift is all they way up already from factory. When you turn the screw, flat head, it will move the lens assembly down to bring the picture down. So I would be at 6-7 inches from ceiling. Then use the down shift to get it to you screen.

I have my pj as high as it can go with the lens shift maxed out. This way it gets my PJ the highest it can go out if the way. This also helps when getting up from me seating. Most people that are not real tall won't be in the projected image.

Just a word if caution to everyone. I had my PJ replaced by benq and they sent a new one. I had the original one all set up. I removed it with my peerless quick removable mount. So when I got the new projector I could just put it back into position and adjust the lens shift down and refocus. Wrong, it seems the new pj did not have enough down shift. So I had to extend my down pole by about an inch or so.

So I guess the lens shift is not set in stone from PJ to PJ. They can be off. But this can be my problem also as I'm using the shift to the max.
post #8439 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the calculator is telling you 7 inches then that is ceiling to center of lens. I was saying lens shift is 3-5 inches to be safe. You do not want to be lower than the 7 inches. You cannot lens shift up. When you mount the projector upside down and have not used the lens shift yet, the shift is all they way up already from factory. When you turn the screw, flat head, it will move the lens assembly down to bring the picture down. So I would be at 6-7 inches from ceiling. Then use the down shift to get it to you screen.

I have my pj as high as it can go with the lens shift maxed out. This way it gets my PJ the highest it can go out if the way. This also helps when getting up from me seating. Most people that are not real tall won't be in the projected image.

Just a word if caution to everyone. I had my PJ replaced by benq and they sent a new one. I had the original one all set up. I removed it with my peerless quick removable mount. So when I got the new projector I could just put it back into position and adjust the lens shift down and refocus. Wrong, it seems the new pj did not have enough down shift. So I had to extend my down pole by about an inch or so.

So I guess the lens shift is not set in stone from PJ to PJ. They can be off. But this can be my problem also as I'm using the shift to the max.

Right now I have it set up around 7 inches. The thing is I used toggle bolts to hook up mount. Its not the ideal way to mount it cause it still moves alittle. I wanted to add a board and screw it to wood studs. Then use a pipe and floor flange to attach my mount. This would add about 3 inches. I wouldn't be able to tilt mount up?
post #8440 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now I have it set up around 7 inches. The thing is I used toggle bolts to hook up mount. Its not the ideal way to mount it cause it still moves alittle. I wanted to add a board and screw it to wood studs. Then use a pipe and floor flange to attach my mount. This would add about 3 inches. I wouldn't be able to tilt mount up?

Take a few photos and post here. If it's that close there are other ways to mount the projector. Instead if the floor flange and pipe you can still use a board to the joists. Then use wood to bring the mount down and screw the mount to the wood. So everything will be attached to the wood then screw the whole thing to the joists. Slide your projector on the mount, all set.

Then get creative with small moulding and paint. It will blend in.
post #8441 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Take a few photos and post here. If it's that close there are other ways to mount the projector. Instead if the floor flange and pipe you can still use a board to the joists. Then use wood to bring the mount down and screw the mount to the wood. So everything will be attached to the wood then screw the whole thing to the joists. Slide your projector on the mount, all set.

Then get creative with small moulding and paint. It will blend in.

So basically use the wood only. Attach mount to that.
post #8442 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

[IMG]
post #8443 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So basically use the wood only. Attach mount to that.

Yes, if you are that close no need for pole and flange. As long as you have adjustment and get the picture right. Personally I want my PJ
As high as possible out of the way.
post #8444 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, if you are that close no need for pole and flange. As long as you have adjustment and get the picture right. Personally I want my PJ
As high as possible out of the way.

Thanks for the advice going to do that. Just thought the first option will give more flexibility for adjusting mount. That's OK will use the wood only and make it look nice with some molding.
post #8445 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice going to do that. Just thought the first option will give more flexibility for adjusting mount. That's OK will use the wood only and make it look nice with some molding.

As long as you are center on the screen all other adjustments can be made. If you want side to side you can do what I did. I routed slots to allow this adjustment. So the whole mount and board can be moved. But I really did not need it as my math and measuring was spot on.
post #8446 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

What about this one? I just bought it last week and should have it up in a couple of days.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=899557&gclid=CNzZwefE5r0CFQsSMwod4QMA9w&Q=&is=REG&A=details
It's weird that they don't show mounts on the BenQ website, but that mount is generic cheap stuff. Looks good, but functionality-wise is going to have stability issues and alignment issues which will be difficult to deal with.

Where is the pan adjustment? Where is the tilt adjustment? Where is the yaw adjustment? These three things must be separate and must be able to be individually tightened.
Likewise, is the projector mount removable? Can you get it down to just a few inches? Less? What adjustments are there for that? What about quick release and the stability of that?

It's typical, not bad, but a long way from great, and very similar to many others out there from a long list of generic suppliers for less money.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8447 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have the RPM mount or the RPA mount? The RPA mount I don't think allows for left/right rotation of the image. The RPM (Elite) mount does and is more supportive of being directly screwed into a ceiling joist.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8448 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's weird that they don't show mounts on the BenQ website, but that mount is generic cheap stuff. Looks good, but functionality-wise is going to have stability issues and alignment issues which will be difficult to deal with.

Where is the pan adjustment? Where is the tilt adjustment? Where is the yaw adjustment? These three things must be separate and must be able to be individually tightened.
Likewise, is the projector mount removable? Can you get it down to just a few inches? Less? What adjustments are there for that? What about quick release and the stability of that?

It's typical, not bad, but a long way from great, and very similar to many others out there from a long list of generic suppliers for less money.

It's on the BenQ site too: http://www2.benq.us/product/projector/ceilingmount-cm00g2/

It has a tilt adjustment of +/- 25 degrees but no other adjustments. I have to be perfect when I mount it.

There is a a quick release and a bolt for keeping the quick release in check.

Yes, the extension pole is optional so you don't need to use it.

I'm not sure about all these other mounts but I figured getting one with the same brand couldn't hurt. As long as it holds my projector up in place and looks nice it's all good.
post #8449 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's on the BenQ site too: http://www2.benq.us/product/projector/ceilingmount-cm00g2/

It has a tilt adjustment of +/- 25 degrees but no other adjustments. I have to be perfect when I mount it.

There is a a quick release and a bolt for keeping the quick release in check.

Yes, the extension pole is optional so you don't need to use it.

I'm not sure about all these other mounts but I figured getting one with the same brand couldn't hurt. As long as it holds my projector up in place and looks nice it's all good.

The problem is that your screen wall must be a perfect 90 degrees from your ceiling... Which in my case it was not. That is where the adjustment comes in.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8450 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, there must have been some change. I searched their US and global site about a month ago, and that mount definitely wasn't there. It came up right away when I did a search this time.

You could save money and have the same results with a host of other mounts, or you could spend more and have a mount that actually allowed you to dial it in perfectly. Your money though.

post #8451 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone using this mount with there Benq W1070. Sanus - VisionMount Universal Projector Ceiling Mount.

post #8452 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Anyone using this mount with there Benq W1070. Sanus - VisionMount Universal Projector Ceiling Mount.
The VMPR1?

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vmpr1/

This is certainly a better built mount on par with the Chief RPA series of mounts. Nice adjustability, firmly built. Not as good as the Elite series Chief mounts. You should have no issue with it, but I wouldn't buy it over the Elite if you are buying anywhere near the typical $100+ online price. Buy the Elite instead.

post #8453 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have the RPM mount or the RPA mount? The RPA mount I don't think allows for left/right rotation of the image. The RPM (Elite) mount does and is more supportive of being directly screwed into a ceiling joist.

Its just say RPM as model# doesn't say elite.
post #8454 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Here goes some pics of the rpm. Does it look like I can rotate if mounted directly to ceiling?
post #8455 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

That is a RPM mount and not a RPA mount. That's a GOOD thing! Yes, it can be rotated once affixed to the ceiling. Make sure when you affix it to the ceiling, you are in the center of the rotation area. Right now, if you look at the top of the mount, you will see there are grooves in the mount which allow for rotation of the projector right on the mount. They are currently turned all the way clockwise. If you mount it, as-is, the projector could spin counter-clockwise about 20 degrees or so. So, before putting up the mount, adjust it about 10 degrees counterclockwise, then you will be able to spin the projector about 10 degrees either direction with it firmly affixed to your ceiling.

Once again, this is why this mount is the best on the market.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #8456 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, there must have been some change. I searched their US and global site about a month ago, and that mount definitely wasn't there. It came up right away when I did a search this time.

You could save money and have the same results with a host of other mounts, or you could spend more and have a mount that actually allowed you to dial it in perfectly. Your money though.

I wasn't willing to spend anymore than this...I do hope I can dial it in perfectly otherwise I'll have to return it. We will see how it works out in the next couple of days.

I'm sure it'll be fine - it's just a projector mount. Certainly not one of my passions smile.gif.
post #8457 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I just took off mount. It does rotate not a 360 rotation but gives u option to rotate around 20 degrees
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8458 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just took off mount. It does rotate not a 360 rotation but gives u option to rotate around 40 degrees
40 degrees sounds like more than enough rotation to me. smile.gif

post #8459 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure it'll be fine - it's just a projector mount. Certainly not one of my passions smile.gif.

I hope the MOUNT isn't one of your passions, but many on these forums are certainly passionate about getting the best 'on-screen' image possible, and when you can't align your projector easily, and spend hours futzing with the mount... then getting frustrated... perhaps yelling. It's amazing how passions can grow. biggrin.gif

Anyone who has used a cheap mount, then switches to a Elite mount understand the difference and the 'why' of a good mount.

For what it's worth, if you are dissatisfied, keep an eye on eBay. I've seen the Elite mount go for under $50 several times.

post #8460 of 10395 Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is a RPM mount and not a RPA mount. That's a GOOD thing! Yes, it can be rotated once affixed to the ceiling. Make sure when you affix it to the ceiling, you are in the center of the rotation area. Right now, if you look at the top of the mount, you will see there are grooves in the mount which allow for rotation of the projector right on the mount. They are currently turned all the way clockwise. If you mount it, as-is, the projector could spin counter-clockwise about 20 degrees or so. So, before putting up the mount, adjust it about 10 degrees counterclockwise, then you will be able to spin the projector about 10 degrees either direction with it firmly affixed to your ceiling.

Once again, this is why this mount is the best on the market.

yes this is an awesome mount. And I give u all the credit for the recommendation a couple of weeks ago.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page