BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
This projector is fairly light and same for most mounts that go with it, typically drywall can support around 25lbs so you can get some drywall anchors and attach your projector mount that way, I did that at my old place when there was no studs in a decent spot and it held up very well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

It looks like you've got blinds up, that never hurt anything. I've seen much dimmer projectors cut through a blinded/curtained daytime. What size screen are you using?
I am using a 100" screen and the projector is ceiling mounted about 9ft. back.
post #8643 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Hi All. I currently have an Acer H6510BD and think it is a very good projector for it's price. I know the W1070 is suppose to be even better offering better colors, saturation and calibration options.

I am okay keeping the Acer but would love to try and and compare it to the BenQ. One of my requirements is being able to view it in the daytime hours. The Acer is completely viewable in my room during the day. I am not critically watching in the daytime so I am not expecting anything great during the day, I just want to be able to at least see everything clearly.

The Acer can produce a picture that cuts through. Can anyone comment if they think the BenQ would be able to cut through a room like pictured below.

Well I hope you really mean it when you say you have low standards bc it's pretty washed out during the day.

I only watch after sundown. Nothing annoys me more than a washed out picture.

At night it still amazes me that this quality picture was so affordable.
post #8644 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I am using a 100" screen and the projector is ceiling mounted about 9ft. back.

This is about 400lumens on a 105" screen without any curtains/blinds, but on an overcast day with some clouds between the sun that'd otherwise be pouring directly onto the screen right from the front.

The BenQ is capable of 2-4X this level of output, depending on age and settings.

eric3316 likes this.

Simple
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #8645 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone find the projector a little dim when playing games? Maybe it is just fifa 14 but when I went back to playing it on my projector last night the dimness really bothered me for a few matches. The PS4 menu seemed bright though so it could be the color pallet in the game, maybe dull is the right word.

It could be just me, i have been playing in on a LED for a few days.
post #8646 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post

Well I hope you really mean it when you say you have low standards bc it's pretty washed out during the day.

I only watch after sundown. Nothing annoys me more than a washed out picture.

At night it still amazes me that this quality picture was so affordable.
That's the thing. I know contrast levels will be a lot worse but I don't want to watch a completely washed out screen. I want to see colors if you now what I mean. I might just order a refurb from BenQ if they get them back in stock soon. They said they have a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee's. Might be worth it to just check it out.

If they don't stock it soon and I have to keep the Acer, I will still be happy. It is really bright for daytime viewing and really looks good at night. I was actually pretty impressed with the black levels.
post #8647 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisx View Post

Anyone find the projector a little dim when playing games? Maybe it is just fifa 14 but when I went back to playing it on my projector last night the dimness really bothered me for a few matches. The PS4 menu seemed bright though so it could be the color pallet in the game, maybe dull is the right word.

It could be just me, i have been playing in on a LED for a few days.

What about other PS4 games ? Do you have Infamous ? How does it look on the W1070 ?
post #8648 of 9978 Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

This projector is fairly light and same for most mounts that go with it, typically drywall can support around 25lbs so you can get some drywall anchors and attach your projector mount that way, I did that at my old place when there was no studs in a decent spot and it held up very well.

There are some screws called "wall hogs" that are VERY coarse and large threaded drywall screws and are rated at 50 lbs each. Might try those. There are also screw-in type drywall anchors that have large coarse threads as well. Both are fairly and substantially sturdy.
Daniel Chaves likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8649 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

There are some screws called "wall hogs" that are VERY coarse and large threaded drywall screws and are rated at 50 lbs each. Might try those. There are also screw-in type drywall anchors that have large coarse threads as well. Both are fairly and substantially sturdy.

If I recall from a wall mounted position, drywall supports 50lbs but from a ceiling mounted position I think they say to cut that in half to like 25lbs for safety. Again I dont recall the exact figures but yes those should work fine.

post #8650 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't seem to find an answer to this even in the manual.

For this projector what is the range on;

1) Video Signal
2) PC Signal

Secondly, in ATI CCC (for my HTPC) I have Dynamic Range set to 0-255 and Pixel Format set to 4:4:4 (16-235)Everything else disabled. From my research this seems to be the correct settings CCC.

Now, what is the correct setting for projector to be set to with the HTPC. Video or PC signal? Right now I have it set to Video.

Lastly, when switching to Xbox or PS3 should I change that or leave it as is.
post #8651 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efto View Post

I tried to update the firmware via usb, but somewhere in the middle I got an error that the update is not successful. I tried few more times and I got the same error message. Everything was set up correctly, Complete Image Download, Boot Loader Area, etc. I tried again with a different computer, both usb and rs232 methods, but the projector was not recognized by the computer.
This was my second update from 1.06 to 1.08. Several months ago I successfully update it from 1.04 to 1.06.

Now the projector is stuck with the red light on and is completely dead.
Please help, any advice would be really appreciated.

Is there anyone willing to help with an advice?

post #8652 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

Is there anyone willing to help with an advice?
Is it under warranty? If so you might want to return it as defective... I would not tell them you were doing an update though as it might have voided your warranty. I hate to tell you but I think you have found the pitfalls of doing updates, and now have a brick. I had the same thing happen years ago with a Playstation... I was lucky that I had an extended warranty and that I had no choice but to update it as the PS did it on its own and became a brick. Your problem will be that you did it on your own. I hope that I am wrong but others in the thread have warned that your projector could become a brick by doing the firmware updates.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8653 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the advice, it is still under warranty. If I cannot find any other solution I will send it to Benq. Still I would prefer to fix it myself if there is a way.

post #8654 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Liked: 32
If you read previous posts on this topic there is NO WAY BACK that is currently known, other than sending your projector to Benq.

Just do it, seeing it is under warranty.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8655 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Somebody here suggested that it can be fixed by flashing the EPROM chip. Is this doable?

post #8656 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:

Somebody here suggested that it can be fixed by flashing the EPROM chip. Is this doable?

In theory yes; but it requires custom hardware to do - and I didn't see any success mentioned on that thread...

The other concern is that if your bootloader's been corrupted/overwritten, you've got another problem since the bootloader isn't included with the downloaded firmware.

I'll second the suggestion above: return to sender. Just don't go into too much detail as to what went wrong wink.gif
ellisr63 and efto like this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8657 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Liked: 32
To efto,

Mate ... if you cocked up a simple upgrade and bricked your projector do you seriously believe you are at all capable of reprogramming an eprom????? Seriously??? You don't give me the impression you can.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop asking and send the damn projector to Benq and get it fixed professionally.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8658 of 9978 Old 05-06-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

To efto,

Mate ... if you cocked up a simple upgrade and bricked your projector do you seriously believe you are at all capable of reprogramming an eprom????? Seriously??? You don't give me the impression you can.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stop asking and send the damn projector to Benq and get it fixed professionally.
Not to mention he is already on shaky ground with the warranty... If he digs deeper he may not have any warranty at all.
OZReddog likes this.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8659 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello efto. I do not think that you deserve the harsh criticism that has been levelled at you here. Are you absolutely sure that the boot loader was set to 32kb. An incorrect setting here seems to be the cause of most of the problems that have occurred and caused bricking. I am pretty sure that the poster that mentions the reflash in the link you provided also posted in this thread. I believe that it was he that later posted that he only fixed the problem by purchasing a new circuit board from BenQ. I know this is not what you want to hear but the good thing is that it wasn't terribly expensive.
If I was in your position, I would send the projector back to BenQ and just say it stopped working. There is at least one person in this thread that had this problem covered under warranty. If you are denied warranty then you can investigate buying and replacing the board yourself. If I have time later, I'll try and find the posts that I have referenced.
Tommy Mang, Daniel Chaves and efto like this.
post #8660 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 08:22 AM

Thank you LFM2 and kreeturez for your helpful posts.

I wanted to know all of my options before I decide what to do. The best option I guess is to send it to Benq. If they say that the warranty is voided I will have to purchase a new board.

The reason for asking whether it can be fixed by flashing the EPROM chip is that I have a friend who has an experience in that field (I did not say that I will do it myself).
As for the firmware upgrade I am sure that the boot loader was set to 32kb, that's how I did it with the first firmware upgrade. Even today I don't know what went wrong.

post #8661 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wasn't the problem that the first upgrades were 32kb and the latter upgrades 128kb?
post #8662 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Wasn't the problem that the first upgrades were 32kb and the latter upgrades 128kb?

Negative! Has always been - and still is - 32KB. Counter-intuitively, specifying too large a value here seems to brick the projector, so don't get this wrong when upgrading smile.gif
Generally speaking, bootloaders for a given piece of hardware are of a fixed size which isn't dependent on the firmware version being installed.

That said, upgrades to 1.08 seems to have had more reports of failures (even when done correctly) than previous versions. May just be down to a larger number of owners who have tried; not sure.
To evaluate if it's worth the risk, take a look at my experiences here: IMHO if you're running 1.06, the risk is just not worth it (did this upgrade myself and found very little benefit).

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #8663 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
efto; I did a little digging and found the info I was talking about. Read post 8158 first lest you be discouraged by the other posts. Here are a number of other posts detailing the problem. The numbers are as follows: 7861,62,64,69 ; 7870; 7960& 63 ; 7981 ; 8006 ; 8020,21& 22 ; 8039 ; 8042 paying particular attention to step8a & b ; finally 8043. I'm sure you must feel regret for trying the upgrade as some report seeing no improvement from 1.06 to 1.08. I did the upgrade and can tell you it was worth it for me. The colors are richer and the slight green tint is gone. I notice a significant reduction in picture noise with the sharpness setting at 100% which is my preferred setting. The upgrades went smooth for me but my heart was in my throat both times. Maybe all the settings were correctly, input,maybe not. Maybe your palm brushed the track pad at an inopportune time. My point is that this should be a lot easier and foolproof for the cost of the projector and the number for updates. My 100 dollar Sony Bluray player often politely informs me of updates and installs then without fuss.
efto likes this.
post #8664 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM2 View Post

I'm sure you must feel regret for trying the upgrade as some report seeing no improvement from 1.06 to 1.08. I did the upgrade and can tell you it was worth it for me. The colors are richer and the slight green tint is gone. I notice a significant reduction in picture noise with the sharpness setting at 100% which is my preferred setting... My point is that this should be a lot easier and foolproof for the cost of the projector and the number for updates. My 100 dollar Sony Bluray player often politely informs me of updates and installs then without fuss.

When I was on 1.06, very simple calibration tweaks removed the green tint (and it's still there on 'Dynamic' mode even under 1.08.) Color saturation was easy to tweak as well (So though default settings under 1.08 are better, the same PQ could be achieved under earlier firmware by doing simple test-pattern calibrating).

Under all the firmware I've tried (1.08 included), pushing sharpness above 3 introduces artifacts on test patterns that include near-vertical lines/curves; I didn't notice much difference here...

That said, I definitely agree that the firmware update procedure should be simpler and more fool-proof. Heck, sounds like efto didn't do anything remotely wrong. Dumb luck. But I'm confident (even with BenQ's sometimes-dodgy support), that they'll sort him out under warranty!

post #8665 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 PM

Liked: 23
I decided to take the plunge and I purchased the Benq W1070. Right now I am just projecting on a wall, as I have not received my screen yet, but I am very impressed with the image quality right out of the box in cinema mode, with warm colour settings on simple wall. Now I can't wait to get my projector screen.

I mounted the projector on the ceiling, and the hdmi cable, power cable with an extension cord are just hanging loose. I could use some tips on what I can do to clean up the cabling and having it secured to the ceiling without noticing it. I also would like to replace the power cable with 1 long 25-30ft thin power cable. Does one exist?

post #8666 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post

I also would like to replace the power cable with 1 long 25-30ft thin power cable. Does one exist?

Congrats!
Yeah, these are standard 'kettle' cords; just like PC's use. You can get long cords as well as extensions for these cords (that can then be connected in series) from most electronic stores.

post #8667 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEAR2004 View Post

I decided to take the plug and I purchased the Benq W1070. Right now I am just projecting on a wall, as I have not received my screen yet, but I am very impressed with the image quality right out of the box in cinema mode, with warm colour settings on simple wall. Now I can't wait to get my projector screen.

I mounted the projector on the ceiling, and the hdmi cable, power cable with an extension cord are just hanging loose. I could use some tips on what I can do to clean up the cabling and having it secured to the ceiling without noticing it. I also would like to replace the power cable with 1 long 25-30ft thin power cable. Does one exist?

Take a picture let's see how it looks?
post #8668 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Check monoprice for power cord.

post #8669 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM

I will take a pi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Congrats!
Yeah, these are standard 'kettle' cords; just like PC's use. You can get long cords as well as extensions for these cords (that can then be connected in series) from most electronic stores.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Take a picture let's see how it looks?

Here is a pic from my plain wall. There are acoustic panels hanging on the sides, and some speakers are in the way as well, but I will take care of that tomorrow once the projector screen arrives.

free picture upload

post #8670 of 9978 Old 05-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jail View Post

Check mono price for power cord.
Thanks smile.gif

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags