BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8731 of 10062 Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I live in Chicago and hockey is looking pretty damn good. ūüėúūüėú:-P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The Mustang mount that B&H is including is very good to use with the unit. I does fit close to the ceiling but it will work for many of you.
post #8733 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The W1070 image quality is amazing for the price and better than some TVs I have seen that cost 2-3x's more. If anyone is considering buying it, then don't hesitate. I should have bought this a long time ago.

Here is an update on my projector setup.

I found some low cost raceways at Home Depot for the power and HDMI cables and it worked well.

This is a 92 inch EluneVision screen which is more than enough for me.
Tommy Mang and eric3316 like this.

post #8734 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

The Mustang mount that B&H is including is very good to use with the unit. I does fit close to the ceiling but it will work for many of you.
It is not a Mustang mount, it is from Bentley.
post #8735 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

It is not a Mustang mount, it is from Bentley.

The latest offer comes with a Mustang mount, the Bentley mount is no longer offered with the BenQ W1070.
post #8736 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloCobra View Post

The latest offer comes with a Mustang mount, the Bentley mount is no longer offered with the BenQ W1070.
That is what they are offering now. Those who ordered over the weekend are getting Bentley mounts.
post #8737 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A little off topic, but I should be getting my W1070 in about 5 days. I will mostly be watching Blu Rays on my PS3, watching videos from my PC, and a little gaming on the PS3. If you had to pick one movie that really shows off how good this projector is more than any other, what would you pick? I want the first movie on it to really amaze my wife so she won't be as mad at me for buying it, lol.
post #8738 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post

If you had to pick one movie that really shows off how good this projector is more than any other, what would you pick? I want the first movie on it to really amaze my wife so she won't be as mad at me for buying it, lol.

Life of Pi (either 2D or 3D) - or Frozen (if you'll watch with the kids!)

Both offer tons of color and lots of bright scenes - areas where the W1070 really excels.

Life of Pi was the first movie I watched on mine with my Mrs - and it was a massive hit with her: so I speak from experience wink.gif

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8739 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A little off topic, but I should be getting my W1070 in about 5 days. I will mostly be watching Blu Rays on my PS3, watching videos from my PC, and a little gaming on the PS3. If you had to pick one movie that really shows off how good this projector is more than any other, what would you pick? I want the first movie on it to really amaze my wife so she won't be as mad at me for buying it, lol.
In my experience the wife could not care less about the quality of the picture. Show them a $500 LED or a $3,000 plasma and to them they are both a TV.

My advice, just get her favorite movie and let her watch that. It won't be about PQ for them, it will be about the experience. She probably will not give a crap about black levels or contrast ratio's.
post #8740 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

That is what they are offering now. Those who ordered over the weekend are getting Bentley mounts.

is it worth fighting for that mount or is the Bentley pretty much the same?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::[color=Blue][b]

Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #8741 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanythingrock View Post

Looking at both It looks like the Mustang is a little better. The Pearless is the best but costs much more. I have been using the Mustang with no problems.
post #8742 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Looking at both It looks like the Mustang is a little better. The Pearless is the best but costs much more. I have been using the Mustang with no problems.

Comes on Thursday. i guess ill check it out and if its junk ill call for the Mustang mount

or if anyone who gets the Bentley mount can comment on the quality

post #8743 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already own this mount and it has done a good job:
http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APMEB-Universal-Projector-Ceiling/dp/B00892RUTA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399993715&sr=8-3&keywords=projector+ceiling+mount

I will not be using the mount that comes with it so personally it does not matter which is comes with.

I would say look at it and see. If it looks good then I would not worry about it. I am not sure if they will swap out a free item considering you are not paying for it. And in the case they said ok, you would probably have to pay for return shipping and maybe even the shipping for the Mustang. I don't think any of these would be considered top quality, including the one I currently own but as long as it gets the job done I am okay with it.
post #8744 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

The Chief Elite mounts are the best for sure. The Peerless mounts are certainly a lot better than most mounts though.

Most people don't give a second thought to the mount and then end up with some wobbly piece of junk that takes them two hours to almost setup properly.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8745 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

The Chief Elite mounts are the best for sure. The Peerless mounts are certainly a lot better than most mounts though.

Most people don't give a second thought to the mount and then end up with some wobbly piece of junk that takes them two hours to almost setup properly.
You also have to realize spending 2 hours to set something up will not cost you any money. Buying a good mount can be costly for people on a tight budget.

I do agree, if money isn't an issue to buy the best but that is not always an option for everyone.

I would like to say I have been reading a lot of your posts and props to you for all the help and knowledge you share here.
THe_Flash likes this.
post #8746 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

yea at the end of the day its going to just sit there above my head. We'll see when it comes. My install isnt too complicated

post #8747 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You also have to realize spending 2 hours to set something up will not cost you any money. Buying a good mount can be costly for people on a tight budget.

I do agree, if money isn't an issue to buy the best but that is not always an option for everyone.

I would like to say I have been reading a lot of your posts and props to you for all the help and knowledge you share here.
Thanks for the props. biggrin.gif

I always recommend the Chief mount and recognize the cost associated with it. But, much like good audio, a good mount can be a lifetime investment rather than a purchase that must be repeated. Especially for 'newer' projector owners, the ability to have a mount that can allow placement at any height and allows for independent tilt, yaw, and pan adjustments is a really big plus. Add in the micro-adjustments and it is still more to consider. Certainly it's not a big deal to spend two hours setting up a mount to be almost right, but people really should look at eBay closely for good deals on the Elite (RPM) or Mini-Elite (RSM) mounts and even modify mounting plates to get them to work if they can do so no matter what projector, brand, or setup they have, it's really worth it. Especially if it can be done for $50 or $75 instead of the typical $150 that the Chief Elite mounts often cost.

Still, I realize not everyone can do this, but it won't stop my from recommending this mount above all others until something better comes along.

- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8748 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yea at the end of the day its going to just sit there above my head. We'll see when it comes. My install isnt too complicated
Unless the mount is weak, and droops over time with the projector attached (read reviews on different mounts, this is common), or unless the extension on the mount doesn't offer the flexibility to get the projector to the proper height (also common), and then trying to align the projector to the screen where a half degree of adjustment is two inches of shift on screen, and the mount doesn't allow for individual pan/tilt/yaw adjustments. There are no cheap mounts I've seen which I would use or recommend to this point, but as a rule I spend no more than about $75 on a Chief Elite mount and I typically buy them for less when I can.

post #8749 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM

I pulled the trigger at BH Photo with the free Mustang mount.  If the mount doesn't work out, I already thought about searching eBay for a Chief Elite mount.  I did not select the Squaretrade warranty at BH Photo since I can buy it separately with a discount code.  Which pieces from Chief do I need besides the RSM or RPM?  It's unclear to me if the pieces are sold separately or as a kit when looking at the eBay listings.  I read about using threaded pipe from Home Depot or Lowes when needed to extend the length.  Thanks for the tips!

New in 2002:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 80 x 4

Definitive Technology ProCenter 100

Definitive Technology ProSub 80

New in 2014:

BenQ W1070 Projector

Yamaha RX-V775WA

post #8750 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Mine sits above my head but I can make tweaks on the fly in seconds.

post #8751 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Thanks for the props. biggrin.gif

I always recommend the Chief mount and recognize the cost associated with it. But, much like good audio, a good mount can be a lifetime investment rather than a purchase that must be repeated. Especially for 'newer' projector owners, the ability to have a mount that can allow placement at any height and allows for independent tilt, yaw, and pan adjustments is a really big plus. Add in the micro-adjustments and it is still more to consider. Certainly it's not a big deal to spend two hours setting up a mount to be almost right, but people really should look at eBay closely for good deals on the Elite (RPM) or Mini-Elite (RSM) mounts and even modify mounting plates to get them to work if they can do so no matter what projector, brand, or setup they have, it's really worth it. Especially if it can be done for $50 or $75 instead of the typical $150 that the Chief Elite mounts often cost.

Still, I realize not everyone can do this, but it won't stop my from recommending this mount above all others until something better comes along.

The geared adjustments on the Peerless are excellent but it inexplicably lacks a yaw adjustment. The quasi-geared adjustments on the Chief Elite mounts are less precise, but work fairly well, and include yaw. The universal mount attachment on the Peerless is a little more robust than the Chief universal mount, the custom plates Chief makes on the other hand are super robust. On balance I'm a big fan of the Chief Elites (and own one), but if Peerless could engineer a geared yaw adjustment to match the other two dimensions it does so well, I'd give Peerless the nod.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #8752 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Both offer tons of color and lots of bright scenes - areas where the W1070 really excels.

Life of Pi was the first movie I watched on mine with my Mrs - and it was a massive hit with her: so I speak from experience wink.gif

Ocean Predators 3D!
There is a scene about half way through where a morey ell slowly turns to face the camera - audience freak out !! its like the blighter is going to come off the screen and bite your head off!!!
post #8753 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

I'll second Life of Pi. I watched the 2nd version using my PS3 and I felt that the PQ was one of the best I've seen on the Benq.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #8754 of 10062 Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

What about other PS4 games ? Do you have Infamous ? How does it look on the W1070 ?
Anthony....I have a PS4 and I play DCUO and it looks great! The game plays at 1080p @ 60z\60fps....it's beautiful!
post #8755 of 10062 Old 05-14-2014, 11:20 AM

Liked: 12

I am a long time follower of the AVS forums and have found much useful information from many knowledgeable individuals.  However, this is my first time chiming in. This or a very similar topic may have been discussed before and I apologize if so.  I just can't seem to find the answer for my specific issue.

I am very interested in using the BenQ W1070 in a two-projector set up for my very first home theater build, but I am still unsure of the correct distance that I should place the screen from the ceiling and the correct drop from the ceiling for the projector. I would like to keep the projector and screen as close to the ceiling as possible. My question is, how far from the ceiling do I need to place my screen viewing surface and how much of a drop from the ceiling do I need to place the projector for the following screen sizes?  Again I would like to keep the projector and screen as close to the ceiling as possible. 

My room has an approximate height of 7' 8" or 92".

110" diagonal -16:9 ratio?

120" diagonal -16:9 ratio?

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!  Thanks!

ellisr63 likes this.
post #8756 of 10062 Old 05-14-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton03 View Post

I am a long time follower of the AVS forums and have found much useful information from many knowledgeable individuals.  However, this is my first time chiming in. This or a very similar topic may have been discussed before and I apologize if so.  I just can't seem to find the answer for my specific issue.

I am very interested in using the BenQ W1070 in a two-projector set up for my very first home theater build, but I am still unsure of the correct distance that I should place the screen from the ceiling and the correct drop from the ceiling for the projector. I would like to keep the projector and screen as close to the ceiling as possible. My question is, how far from the ceiling do I need to place my screen viewing surface and how much of a drop from the ceiling do I need to place the projector for the following screen sizes?  Again I would like to keep the projector and screen as close to the ceiling as possible. 

My room has an approximate height of 7' 8" or 92".

110" diagonal -16:9 ratio?

120" diagonal -16:9 ratio?

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!  Thanks!
I am not sure if the BenQ is a good candidate for a dual projector setup as the lens shift is very minimal. I am assuming you are doing this to get it brighter. If you pursue this please let us know how it works out.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8757 of 10062 Old 05-14-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 38

I am looking for a projector for my HT Room and stumbled on this BenQ.  The PJ throw will be about 15 feet to a 2.35 120" DIY Spandex screen.  It will be mounted on the ceiling and I will primarily (almost always) use it to watch movies.  I was originally looking at the Panasonic AE 8000, but am a little concerned about the price.  Can someone convince me that this would be a good option???  (other than saving $1000!!!)....

post #8758 of 10062 Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Received my W1070 from B&H Photo today.

It was manufactured in March 2014. Came with a back-lit remote and has software version 1.08.

Haven't had much time to evaluate the picture but in my quick viewing of it, everything looks good so far.
post #8759 of 10062 Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have adjusted the contrast, colour and black levels using the AVS HD calibration disk. I am processing the video through the Onkyo 818 receiver using custom settings on normal mode, and when I am adjusting the video settings via the receiver, I am able to get a greater range of white detail and black levels without introducing artifacts/colour change which appears to happen when I directly adjust the same settings from the projector. White level details appear to go from 230 to 247 via receiver but stop at 234 from the projector settings. Also, when using a blue filter to check the colour and hue settings, it's a lot easier to get it perfect using the settings from the receiver. The question I have is am I just introducing false details from the receiver for contrast/black levels and should I trust my receiver or just stick with the projector settings and bypass the receiver?
Tommy Mang likes this.

post #8760 of 10062 Old 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claybe View Post

I am looking for a projector for my HT Room and stumbled on this BenQ.  The PJ throw will be about 15 feet to a 2.35 120" DIY Spandex screen.  It will be mounted on the ceiling and I will primarily (almost always) use it to watch movies.  I was originally looking at the Panasonic AE 8000, but am a little concerned about the price.  Can someone convince me that this would be a good option???  (other than saving $1000!!!)....
How do you intend to deal with 16:9 material, menus of BDs, HDTV viewing, 1.85 movies, etc.?

The W1070 is a great looking model, and really the best deal under $2,000, but it doesn't have the zoom range to hit a 2.35 and a 1.78 screen from the same distance and all your HD material will hit that projector in the 1.78 aspect ratio.

Might as well add - If you have a proper 2.35 scree, which is 110" wide, then the W1070 can hit that width from between 10'7" and 13'10". You must have the projector closer than 15' lens to screen for this to work at all.

Why spend $1,000 more? Because you will get the zoom range you need, you can pick up the Panasonic AE8000 which has lens presents with motorized zoom which can actually do what you need it to do.

And, you will have to figure out if you really want a 2.35 screen when you are buying a 1.78 projector.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page