BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 295 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8821 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok, so I just got the BenQ as my projector, and have a stupid question. I have a 106" 16:9 screen, and was wondering if it was normal to still have the black bars when watching blu's? I know that's a dumb question, but this is my first projector lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterC417 View Post

Ok, so I just got the BenQ as my projector, and have a stupid question. I have a 106" 16:9 screen, and was wondering if it was normal to still have the black bars when watching blu's? I know that's a dumb question, but this is my first projector lol.

yes totally normal.
BusterC417 likes this.
post #8823 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM

Liked: 15
If the Movie is 21:9 you will see black Bars on Top and Bottom.
BusterC417 likes this.
post #8824 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Thanks guys. One more question on the Digital Zoom.....should this be kept at the standard 1.0? Seems like I read somewhere that folks used 1.1.
post #8825 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 608
I think more people need to throw some thumb ups to AV_Integrated's posts. His thanks meter does not represent all the help and knowledge he shares in the projection section.

Along with many others. Throw some thumbs to the people that help you!
post #8826 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:21 PM

Liked: 11
Gonna flash my firmware soon. Ran through the instructions and it's pretty easy. Not sure why people have struggled. I'm on 1.05 now, going to upgrade to 1.06 since I hear 1.08 is causing more failures.
post #8827 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Thanks guys. One more question on the Digital Zoom.....should this be kept at the standard 1.0? Seems like I read somewhere that folks used 1.1.
Keeping it at 1.0 is best. Using anything else (or overscan) will stretch the image over the same amount of pixels which means it won't be 1:1 anymore.

Think of it like this; you have an image that's ten dots/pixels high by ten wide and it displays on a ten-by-ten display perfectly. If you stretch that image taller and/or wider, not only will you be cutting off part of the edge, but now you'll have to fit a 8X8 or 9X9 image over a 10X10 screen..and it will never line up perfectly, so the screen will have to guess and adjust some things which will never be as clear and perfect as 1:1.

The only time this isn't a problem is when the image stretch is a perfect ratio like stretching a 5X5 image over a 10X10 screen. The pixels will be larger, but everything will still technically be 1:1 mapped so to speak.

Cropping is usually only used to cut off glitchy looking outside edges on bad broadcast TV..and cropping (without stretching) is the best option then.

The 1.1 zoom option you might've heard talked about was likely optical and not digital. Optical zooming changes the size without affecting resolution or pixel-mapping at all.
..sorry for the novel, lol.
BusterC417 likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #8828 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

I have a page that kind of explains it for you. I think it's a bit old, but still should do a good job:

http://www.avintegrated.com/aspect_ratios.html

Bottom line is that if you have a 52"x92" (106" diagonal) 16:9 screen, then certain movies will fill it, certain ones will not. It depends on what aspect ratio the film was shot in. Many are 2.35, some are 1.85. All HDTV is 1.78, so gaming and HDTV should fill the screen perfectly. But, cinemascope 2.35 movies will leave some black at the top and bottom, and this is normal.
Morkeleb, bori, BusterC417 and 2 others like this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8829 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!
post #8830 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 01:56 PM

Geeze... $729 & free shipping at amazon right now...
post #8831 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfbrang View Post

Geeze... $729 & free shipping at amazon right now...
Newegg also has it for this price for those looking to save on tax.
post #8832 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilong View Post

I truly appreciate your insight and any other ideas you might have.

Alright, well seeing as you can't mount the screen where the picture is, it's back to the original wall. Again, you have two options:

If you went with the pulldown and placed a speaker on the left side of that door you would have to get a long enough arm that would extend out from the wall to hold your speaker. But then you would have to move it back when you want clearance to walk through the door without worrying about hitting it. With the soffit you are working with it's tough to rearrange that plan.

The other option is the acoustic screen. You mentioned in the previous post about your resistance to that due to some listening room. Is this on the other side of the wall, and your concern if I remember is that removing drywall will reduce sound control from the other room?

Aesthetics and form factor combined, I would see if you could make the acoustic screen work. But again, if it ruins your idea of sound containment, then the other option will have to suffice.
post #8833 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 PM

Updated to 1.06 smooth as silk. No dramas at all smile.gif I haven't flicked between Hz too much but from what little I've seen it's definitely faster. One of my main annoyances with the PJ is now much less annoying smile.gif
post #8834 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post

Updated to 1.06 smooth as silk. No dramas at all smile.gif I haven't flicked between Hz too much but from what little I've seen it's definitely faster. One of my main annoyances with the PJ is now much less annoying smile.gif
1.08 is the latest though.
post #8835 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krez View Post

Using 1.08 my side... Smart-Eco isn't brighter than Normal; but it's as bright in bright scenes and improves contrast ratio in darker scenes by dropping lamp power.

Interestingly, swapping from one lamp mode to another takes a few seconds (up to 10 seconds or so) before it actually affects the projected image. But a bright scene in Smart-Eco is much, much brighter than the same scene in Eco.

It doesn't cause flickering lamps, the flickering we refer to is when changing from dark to light scenes where some people (myself included) notice it changing power. Not bothersome to me, though.

There are a few reports of spectacular lamp-life in SmartEco (Stuntman_Mike hit over 6500 hours); claimed figure in SmartEco is 6000. In Eco, it's 5000. Curious indeed.
It was a side-by-side comparison visually. The most significant decrease in brightness was definitely in the first 200 hours or so; it seemed to level off thereafter.
What screen size are you using? I run a 127" and it's bright enough for limited-ambient-light daytime viewing: how would the LG fare at that size with the lower brightness?

I use mine exclusively with PC's (HTPCs and Pi's) and haven't ever seen any digital breakup via HDMI. You're not the first to mention that SD content isn't scaled optimally up to 1080p by the unit, though; certain AVR's might do the job better if they offer it as a feature.
The LG sounds like a pretty compelling option: in your use-case it probably makes the most sense. Also not having to worry about bulbs (even if they are long-lasting) is a nice-to-have. Likewise, the LG's deeper blacks are an area where the W1070 could use a bit of work; not to mention fan noise.

The LG is still single-chip DLP, right? So how does it fare with rainbow effect?

Sorry for the stupid question, but the user manual shows There being a dedicated smart eco button on the remote... But my remote doesn't have that. How exactly do I change the lamp setting?
post #8836 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Yup that's pretty-much what we've found. It's curious; but it definitely helps with contrast ratio (well, dynamic contrast ratio), on darker scenes.

I suspect it's intention isn't to dim the image lower than Eco to lower the black floor beyond what Eco can provide (as you've found); but rather to give the same (or maybe even a bit more) perceived brightness than Normal whilst using less overall power, supposedly allowing for longer lamp life.

So now that you're using this lamp mode: how is brightness comparatively to your LG?
That darn delay it has switching fully out of SmartEco is still messing with me, lol. During the day switching from SE to full and waiting, it looks like SE isn't really brighter afterall..or maybe a tiny bit.. I've noticed it flickering a little, but not always. I'm mostly surprised they don't use it more like the other Benq that managed to have a much bigger improvement on black levels and dark scenes and STILL did it with enough subtlety to not be seen doing it..only reason I knew was because blacks looked better than eco and using it side-by side another PJ I could tell the bright scenes were still maximizing brightness..I STILL couldn't SEE it making the transition. That's my main complaint I guess, I KNOW Benq can do better because I've witnessed them doing so with a cheaper model.

For brightness, I keep thinking the Benq on SmartEco is looking really bright, and I love it. Then I'll turn on the LG and as long as they aren't both shining at once, the LG looks great too..then I realized I still had the LG at its dimmest of three backlight modes, turned it up, and. .I still refuse to believe LED light is perceived as any brighter, but holy cow I forgot how much room this thing can cover in a white space at night. I know the w1070 is even brighter, but the difference still seems so small sometimes.
kreeturez likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
post #8837 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

A year after I have my setup, I too wish I went with a 2.35 screen... Has anyone used this projector with a 2.35 screen (zoom method)?

I haven't checked in on this thread in a long time. Amazing how active it still is.

I don't believe the W1070 has enough zoom range to fit a 16:9 image into the height of a 2.35 screen.
I am using my W1070 with a 2.1 ratio screen (constant area); white over black spandex at 114" wide X 54" high (gain estimated at 0.80).
The constant area screen provides the best of both worlds and works with the W1070's limited 1.3X zoom lens.
Likely not many W1070 owners go to the trouble of masking, but those who do will need four-way masking when using a constant area screen;
small strips on the sides for 16:9 movies, and small strips top and bottom for 2.35 movies. I don't bother.

Switching between the two screen formats on the projector takes about 30 seconds to change the zoom and then refocus. I find that the lettering of the projector's menu provides the best image for focusing.
Also worth noting is that the offset needs to be changed when switching back and forth. My projector is mounted upside down on a shelf so zooming to the widest image requires the front of the projector to be lifted ever so slightly, which I accomplish with a thin piece of trim. The change in angle is so slight that the change in geometry does not show at all in the image.
Though having to make the switch manually is somewhat of a hassle (I have to stand on the frame of my sofa) it is well worth the effort. I can not enjoy a 2.35 blockbuster movie without zooming the image wider.

If anyone is interested in shelf mounting their W1070 just PM me and I will post some pictures in this forum. You can't just lay this projector upside down on a shelf (obviously). Making the controls accessible for zooming also takes some thought.

post #8838 of 9663 Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post

Sorry for the stupid question, but the user manual shows There being a dedicated smart eco button on the remote... But my remote doesn't have that. How exactly do I change the lamp setting?
I believe the old remote might have had it. It seems like it now ships with a newer backlit remote which is great by the way.

It is under the lamp settings in the menu where you would change your user settings like sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc.
kreeturez likes this.
post #8839 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

1.08 is the latest though.

Nothing in 7 or 8 I cared about. I've seen posts that flashing 8 was maybe causing more failures. Wasn't worth the risk.

Regarding Smart Eco talk. Gave it a go tonight on an episode of Mad Men and had to turn it back to Eco. Scene transitions from dark to white were no good. Easily see the bulb slowly throttling the brightness steps at a time and once it hit the peak the scene would change again.
post #8840 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post

Scene transitions from dark to white were no good. Easily see the bulb slowly throttling the brightness steps at a time and once it hit the peak the scene would change again.
I agree, the flickering effect caused by SmartEco is really distracting and I simply don't use it. Add in the rainbows to SmartEco and this otherwise great projector shows its few flaws.
post #8841 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

I'm not seeing where it says it is to the back of the projector.

I do see this, which will confuse people who don't know what it means: "The projection distance of a mirror-type projector is calculated from the screen to the back of the proejctor."

But, that statement applies to ultra short throw projectors which have a mirror bounce at the back of the projector. So the 'lens' is considered the back of the projector. I may be missing where it mentions the back of the projector somewhere else, but as far as I can tell, there is no mention of it being a different measuring technique.

Yeah, that's what I thought:

Quote:

It's confusing; but for the W1070 that calculator is for the front (ie, the lens).

They qualify the statement by saying that "The projection distance of a mirror-type projector is calculated from the screen to the back of the projector." All DLP projectors use mirrors; but BenQ's definition of 'Mirror-Type Projector' is anyone's guess: I believe I've seen them use the term to reference their ultra-short-throw projectors, though.

The real question is why they don't have that message only appear when an ultra-short-throw projector is being calculated upon. Just confuses people!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8842 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I believe the old remote might have had it. It seems like it now ships with a newer backlit remote which is great by the way.

It is under the lamp settings in the menu where you would change your user settings like sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc.

Yeah, the old remote had a dedicated 'Smart Eco' button which jumped straight to the lamp-mode setting screen. Now it needs to be selected in the menu since the new backlit one omits it. It's under 'Lamp Power' in the 'Picture' menu; and it's saved per user mode.

The new remote also omits the 'Info' button which jumped straight to the information page (showing things like current resolution, lamp-hours and 3D-mode selected). Once again, this is just the last page of the menu so it can be accessed there.

Otherwise, the new back-lit remote is much, much better than the old one. If anyone owns an old remote and is still in warranty, BenQ usually allows the old remote to be swapped for free (ex shipping).

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #8843 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, I knew it was there somewhere!

Personally I thought the picture looked best right out of the box (standard image and lamp on normal), but due to suggestions on here I put it on cinema setting and put the lamp setting on smart eco. I only have about 5 hours on this so I don't know how it will do over time but I have not noticed any of the issues people have recently been talking about the smart eco. With the lights off at night, this looks amazing...definitely looks better than my 9 month old 1080p 47" flat screen. During the day with the lights off and just regular curtains on the windows, not so much. Doesn't look horrible, but cannot compare to a regular TV. However I plan to use this mostly at night and once it is permanently placed I will blackout the windows so this is minor. All in all, I am amazed with it.

My only regret is that the price dropped a few days after I bought it. I contacted them about it since it was just a few days later but they said since I had used the employee discount they could not just credit the difference, my only option would be to send it back and order it again at the lower price. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
post #8844 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi everyone. Just wanted to get a little info from you 1070 owners since I am getting ready to order one. I have had a projector for about 6 years now but this will be my first entry into the 3D world. Was wondering how you like the picture quality and if 3D movies really look as good as they do in the theater?

I currently own a Mitsubishi HC 3800 with a 10' wide screen. my room is 17.5 x 17.5, will I have any throw issues when replacing my current projector with the 1070? What glasses would you recommend I buy?

Any info you would like to send me before I order this projector would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for the info and hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8845 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Hi everyone. Just wanted to get a little info from you 1070 owners since I am getting ready to order one. I have had a projector for about 6 years now but this will be my first entry into the 3D world. Was wondering how you like the picture quality and if 3D movies really look as good as they do in the theater?

I currently own a Mitsubishi HC 3800 with a 10' wide screen. my room is 17.5 x 17.5, will I have any throw issues when replacing my current projector with the 1070? What glasses would you recommend I buy?

Any info you would like to send me before I order this projector would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for the info and hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

golffnutt
Check your throw distance with the projection calculator from Projector Central:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm

And here is the thread for glasses with the W1070:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses

Also, be aware that the center of the lens must be about 2" above the top of your screen. It has very limited lens shift and really needs to be right about 2" above the top of your projection screen. The 3800, by comparison, is supposed to be 23" above a 120" wide screen.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-HC3800-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Also be aware that the Mits. can be about 13' to 20' from a 120" wide screen. The W1070 may only be between 11'7" and 15'1" lens to screen.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #8846 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I tried SE this evening. The only other time I run SE is in 3D mode all other times I run ECO. I'm on 1.08 and my first PJ was on 1.06. Tonight on SE I did not notice the lamp flicker as bad as my first PJ on 1.06. Actually is was almost perfect. Does anyone know if that has anything to do with 1.06 to 1.08?
post #8847 of 9663 Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I tried SE this evening. The only other time I run SE is in 3D mode all other times I run ECO. I'm on 1.08 and my first PJ was on 1.06. Tonight on SE I did not notice the lamp flicker as bad as my first PJ on 1.06. Actually is was almost perfect. Does anyone know if that has anything to do with 1.06 to 1.08?

No mention of it in the changelog and haven't personally noticed a difference in SmartEco behavior between 1.06 and 1.08 (including running 1.08 on two different W1070's).

The difference you're noticing is likely the content you watched: it's only noticeable on sudden dark-to-light scene changes; which may be common in some TV Shows/Movies but rare in others.

Despite the bit of flicker I notice on occasion, overall I'm pretty happy running SmartEco.

post #8848 of 9663 Old 05-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

No mention of it in the changelog and haven't personally noticed a difference in SmartEco behavior between 1.06 and 1.08 (including running 1.08 on two different W1070's).

The difference you're noticing is likely the content you watched: it's only noticeable on sudden dark-to-light scene changes; which may be common in some TV Shows/Movies but rare in others.

Despite the bit of flicker I notice on occasion, overall I'm pretty happy running SmartEco.

Ok, that sounds right. I like the xtra pop SE gives on bright scenes too. I used to only use it with 3d as it helps everything. Maybe I will switch to normal for 3d only.
post #8849 of 9663 Old 05-18-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you so much AV_Integrated for the info. The throw rate will not work for me. It is 17.5' to my back wall where I have the Mits mounted. The ceiling from that wall is a 18' vaulted ceiling so I can't mount a projector at 15', it would look bad hanging there. Can you or anyone possibly recommend a sub $1000 3D projector that throws a nice pic in regular 1080p and 3D? Again thanks so much for the help.

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8850 of 9663 Old 05-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Hello, first time on these boards.

I have a w1070 that I recently updated to firmware 1.8 but am still having issues watching soft copies of 3D movies.

I am running all soft copies through a media server (serviio) on my PC to my wireless sony BD player. All of the movies are .mkv,  SBS, 1920x800 at 23.976fps.

When I click the 3D button on the projector remote, I only see a red X in the top left of screen indicating 3D is not an option. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this issue? I thought by upgrading to 1.8 all resolution issues went away.

Also, when I use Chromecast as the source, the "top/bottom" 3D option becomes available but not SBS.

Thanks in advance!

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page