BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8911 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Well I pulled the trigger and bought it.

Now my new question... Watch OTA with this projector for the occasional live sports?

I understand this projector has no TV tuner. I will not have a cpu nearby.

I tried to ask this in the HDTV recordings section, but I do no think my post went through.

I do not need any fancy features or recording ability unless it is similar in price.

I plan to purchase AntennaCraft HBU22.

I'm looking for the easiest least expensive way to watch OTA.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8912 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1THE2KING3 View Post

Now my new question... Watch OTA with this projector for the occasional live sports?

I tried to ask this in the HDTV recordings section, but I do no think my post went through.

I do not need any fancy features or recording ability unless it is similar in price.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I have cable, but this works pretty well for a tuner for the projector: http://www.amazon.com/3500STBII-Multi-Function-Converter-Recording-Playback/dp/B00GOILYB6/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_d_1

There's even a thread on here dedicated to it. Worthwhile for the price, IMO.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, and 4 Def Tech ProMonitor 800s.
post #8913 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Hey, you were on the slick deals thread. Said you waited and missed out on the $729 deal so weren't going to buy it. I assume that was you based on your user name. So where did you end up buying it from?
post #8914 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 02:07 PM

Hey Eric good eye.

I purchased from your recommended source of BH Photo at $750 with mounting bracket (that helped sell me since I know nothing about those either) and with your shop discover help I feel confident in my purchase using a discover card.

I appreciate the help thusfar.

Fredxr2d2: What a find! Thank you.

Another question. Will that tuner result in the same quality as connecting for example coaxial directly to TV. Typically 1080i max or is this going to create a drastic loss in image quality?

THANKS ALL.

Cant wait to start a build thread with all of the knowledgeable and helpful folks on this thread!

post #8915 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Has anyone else done an exchange with BenQ? They want me to email a photo of my credit card and drivers license.... Does that seem legit?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8916 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've never done that with returns for any company.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #8917 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Hey Eric good eye.
I purchased from your recommended source of BH Photo at $750 with mounting bracket (that helped sell me since I know nothing about those either) and with your shop discover help I feel confident in my purchase using a discover card.
I appreciate the help thusfar.

Fredxr2d2: What a find! Thank you.
Another question. Will that tuner result in the same quality as connecting for example coaxial directly to TV. Typically 1080i max or is this going to create a drastic loss in image quality?

THANKS ALL.
Cant wait to start a build thread with all of the knowledgeable and helpful folks on this thread!

It lets you choose your resolution that it outputs at, but it won't change resolutions if the source is different and the scaler in it is questionable at best (i.e. CBS outputs at 1080i and the tuner will pass that through, but ABC outputs at 720p and the tuner will upscale to 1080i unless you change it to 720p in the menu, but then it will downscale 1080i programs to 720p: basically you either only watch one channel, deal with the scaler's not-quite-good-enoughness, or are constantly changing the setting in the menu). However, I will say that it outputs a 1080i image on par with what the TV that is upstairs in my house does and that the only compression related problems are the result of the cable company (as far as I can tell).

I haven't used it as a DVR, so I can't comment on that (I have a Hulu Plus subscription instead).

Best of luck on your build: I love my W1070.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, and 4 Def Tech ProMonitor 800s.
post #8918 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi all. New to the Benq W1070. On my second one in 2 weeks. The first one had something in the lens that showed on the picture (dust maybe). Now I have arranged to swap the second one tomorrow. This is because of really annoying flickering of brightness I noticed yesterday. I noticed it mostly during The Simpsons and Family Guy, both brightly coloured cartoons and also on the Bluray player static menu screen. This is in Smart Eco mode

Now I haven't read hundreds of pages back but I see a few mentions of flicker in Smart Eco mode. So is it not really faulty? Seeing flicker during a static screen shouldn't be happening should it? It's a brand new projector as I said so on 1.08

Also just to say I find it really bright in smart Eco. So bright it hurts my eyes a bit in fact. Is that normal? Mostly darkened room but some light leaking in. I guess I am 2.5 metres away from 80" screen

Interested in your thoughts. Thanks
post #8919 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Has anyone else done an exchange with BenQ? They want me to email a photo of my credit card and drivers license.... Does that seem legit?
I have done QXchanges with BenQ twice now. It was a legit process. Both times I had to do the scan of license and CC. I scanned and emailed to the rep I spoke with as opposed to fax, as I have no fax machine.

First time I got a brand new PJ. Last time I got a refurb that was basically new.

If your ownership is less than 90 days they exchange with new. Under warranty but more than 90 and you get a refurb.

Very pleased with their customer service.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #8920 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd555 View Post

Hi all. New to the Benq W1070. On my second one in 2 weeks. The first one had something in the lens that showed on the picture (dust maybe).
You did the right thing: dust has affected a bunch of people and there's no easy fix. It's worrying that these are still coming out of the factory on occasion with this issue.

Quote:

Now I have arranged to swap the second one tomorrow.
You probably didn't do the right thing, here smile.gif - Let me explain:

Quote:

This is because of really annoying flickering of brightness I noticed yesterday. I noticed it mostly during The Simpsons and Family Guy, both brightly coloured cartoons and also on the Bluray player static menu screen. This is in Smart Eco mode

Now I haven't read hundreds of pages back but I see a few mentions of flicker in Smart Eco mode. So is it not really faulty? Seeing flicker during a static screen shouldn't be happening should it?
It'll flicker on a static screen for a few seconds if the screen before it was a different brightness.
So yes, flicker in Smart-Eco is normal when scenes change as the power to the bulb is modulated. Some people notice it; some don't: if you're of the former category, switch to Eco. That'll solve this issue as well:

Quote:

Also just to say I find it really bright in smart Eco. So bright it hurts my eyes a bit in fact. Is that normal? Mostly darkened room but some light leaking in. I guess I am 2.5 metres away from 80" screen

Yup, you're close to your screen, running in the projector's brightest mode (on par with Normal lamp mode), and projecting a relatively small image (smaller = brighter). And it's a bright projector to begin with. So yeah, it's gonna be bright.

Try swapping to Eco to solve both these issues. If you don't notice flicker on either Normal or Eco lamp mode, then that's your issue, so stick to those modes. It's not worth risking another swap-out if that's the case.

Also the lamp naturally dims with age: I'm at 150 hours now on my second W1070 and it's noticeably dimmer than it was when brand new (and actually more comfortable to watch). With my last unit, it seemed to level off somewhere between 200-300 hours - and remained more-or-less there for another 1000 hours until I had it replaced (also due to dust issues, like you!)

Try Eco, let us know your findings. I suspect you'll be sorted.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #8921 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugF View Post

Looks like it is 80mm fan something from these range may work well, keeping the noise level between 20-25 dBA would be great, I think the current w170 noise level is around 33 dBA.

Bear in mind that these are computer case fans and no guarantee for a high temperature environment like a projector lamp.
OZReddog likes this.
post #8922 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

I have done QXchanges with BenQ twice now. It was a legit process. Both times I had to do the scan of license and CC. I scanned and emailed to the rep I spoke with as opposed to fax, as I have no fax machine.

First time I got a brand new PJ. Last time I got a refurb that was basically new.

If your ownership is less than 90 days they exchange with new. Under warranty but more than 90 and you get a refurb.

Very pleased with their customer service.
Thanks... That makes me feel better. My projector is 9 months old so I fully expect to get a refurbished one (hopefully with no problems). smile.gif

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #8923 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Thanks... That makes me feel better. My projector is 9 months old so I fully expect to get a refurbished one (hopefully with no problems). smile.gif

I exchanged mine under 30 days and my exchange was brand new.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #8924 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

I exchanged mine under 30 days and my exchange was brand new.
This will be my 3rd one.... First one had the cricket sound in the first 30 days so I returned it to Amazon, and got another new one.

post #8925 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

You did the right thing: dust has affected a bunch of people and there's no easy fix. It's worrying that these are still coming out of the factory on occasion with this issue.
You probably didn't do the right thing, here smile.gif - Let me explain:
It'll flicker on a static screen for a few seconds if the screen before it was a different brightness.
So yes, flicker in Smart-Eco is normal when scenes change as the power to the bulb is modulated. Some people notice it; some don't: if you're of the former category, switch to Eco. That'll solve this issue as well:
Yup, you're close to your screen, running in the projector's brightest mode (on par with Normal lamp mode), and projecting a relatively small image (smaller = brighter). And it's a bright projector to begin with. So yeah, it's gonna be bright.

Try swapping to Eco to solve both these issues. If you don't notice flicker on either Normal or Eco lamp mode, then that's your issue, so stick to those modes. It's not worth risking another swap-out if that's the case.

Also the lamp naturally dims with age: I'm at 150 hours now on my second W1070 and it's noticeably dimmer than it was when brand new (and actually more comfortable to watch). With my last unit, it seemed to level off somewhere between 200-300 hours - and remained more-or-less there for another 1000 hours until I had it replaced (also due to dust issues, like you!)

Try Eco, let us know your findings. I suspect you'll be sorted.

Tried it in Eco mode and you were right. The flicker has gone and it is less bright. I had assumed that normal was 100% lamp, Eco, 70% and Smart Eco, 30%. I naturally thought Smart Eco would be dimmer. But I see what it's doing in Smart Eco now. I won't risk swapping it then in that case.

I was thinking about a filter to dim it but I'll see if it gets a bit dimmer on its own as you advise. Cheers.
post #8926 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tried it in Eco mode and you were right. The flicker has gone and it is less bright. I had assumed that normal was 100% lamp, Eco, 70% and Smart Eco, 30%. I naturally thought Smart Eco would be dimmer. But I see what it's doing in Smart Eco now. I won't risk swapping it then in that case.

I was thinking about a filter to dim it but I'll see if it gets a bit dimmer on its own as you advise. Cheers.

The reason SE is 30% because of controlled dimming and brighten. So less power. I just started to run mine in SE all the time. I used to have it on on 3D for the extra brightness. I do see the flicker but it's not bad for the trade off if brightness.
post #8927 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Been doing a bit of gaming the last few days. I've been turned off the idea because of the lack of uniform sharpness in the corners where you'd find HUD and menu option text to be. Fortunately it's not too big of a problem once you get into what you're playing.

I played LIMBO and finished it in one sitting. Perfect cinemaesque game. After that I fired up the aging 360 and played some Red Dead Redemption. 4 years old and the game still looks amazing and holds up really well on the projector.

Gonna have to do more gaming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Mang View Post

I also have these color distortions (lasts not longer than a second) when I start a movie from my media streamer. I have v1.06, maybe it has been fixed with later versions?

I didn't have this issue on 1.05 but do now after upgrading to 1.06. I dare say it's the small price you pay for faster refresh rate switching. I fair trade I think.
Tommy Mang likes this.
post #8928 of 10136 Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 PM

Hi, I purchased the W0170 at $749 from Amazon last week; delivered and still boxed up. Spent some time reading the last few pages of posts. Regarding the issue of dust blobs developing, I'm wondering of we can stick 3M air condition filters where the air vents are? The filters are supposed to allow free air flow (ok, it will be somewhat restricted maybe); one way. Will it work? I tried it decades ago with a Sanyo Z3 and it worked fine. No dust, no overheat.
post #8929 of 10136 Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm028 View Post

Hi, I purchased the W0170 at $749 from Amazon last week; delivered and still boxed up. Spent some time reading the last few pages of posts. Regarding the issue of dust blobs developing, I'm wondering of we can stick 3M air condition filters where the air vents are? The filters are supposed to allow free air flow (ok, it will be somewhat restricted maybe); one way. Will it work? I tried it decades ago with a Sanyo Z3 and it worked fine. No dust, no overheat.

Just open the box and set it up. Enjoy it for what it's worth.
post #8930 of 10136 Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 AM

Liked: 20
How much difference is there between Hoya ND and some low cost ND 2 filters

Does a low cost filter will make an image softer and is it going to be much noticeable?
post #8931 of 10136 Old 05-22-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Deleted.
Qldsteve likes this.
post #8932 of 10136 Old 05-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugF View Post

How much difference is there between Hoya ND and some low cost ND 2 filters

Does a low cost filter will make an image softer and is it going to be much noticeable?

Hoya's are actually neutral and made of glass. Most cheap filters are neither.

You can get a Hoya ND on Amazon for not much anyway (around $25-30 I think), so not much reason to take a chance on a cheap filter.

post #8933 of 10136 Old 05-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am considering this PJ along with another in this price range. I've seen the pros and cons for both and figure there won't be a lot of difference between them with seeing them side by side. They are budget PJs and I'm realistic. The one whose placement fits the room best will probably be the one I buy. I'm more interested in any issues people have be encountering. I know the quality I can expect, it's the problems I want to limit. The list from reading:
  • dust blobs
  • chirping sound
  • firmware update needed and have to send in for it
  • brightness fluctuation in SmartEco

Anything I've missed to watch for or worry about? I'm not looking for any sort of slamming of this or other brand/models. Just issues and expected resolutions.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #8934 of 10136 Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quick question... You know the 3D glasses that Samsung was using for their plasmas a number of years back ?

Is there any way to get those to work with this projector ? Reason I ask, is because I have a Samsung plasma from a number of years ago, and ended up with 5 pairs of glasses. It would be cool to use those on my projector when extra people come over. I know I should probably buy a much higher quality pair of glasses, but I'm not sure I want to buy like 6 pairs of them for when I have people over the house.
post #8935 of 10136 Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Liked: 15
You need DLP-Link Glasses that can sync 144 Hz.

Your Samsung 3D Glasses won't sync and won't be able to sync 144 Hz.
post #8936 of 10136 Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 PM

Liked: 20
these are very good glasses
post #8937 of 10136 Old 05-23-2014, 08:35 PM

Liked: 19
So to be clear what size nd filter should one buy? 55mm 63mm ? I just want one that fits and needs little to no mods to work. Also what brand or type have any of you guys used that works well? Color/shade? Best place to buy from Amazon, B&H,local,eBay?

On a side note I'm working on frabrcating an attachment to a mount that would allow horizontal and vertical shifting. It might end up being only a few inches each way, but would greatly help with mounting and placement of the projector.

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #8938 of 10136 Old 05-23-2014, 10:10 PM

Liked: 11
I am looking to buy a screen for outside. I found one on carls place that is a blackout cloth and is 9 x 16 ft. which makes a 214 inch screen. Will this screen be too large for the w1070. I think I read it does a maximum of 200 inches. Will the quality be good this large?
post #8939 of 10136 Old 05-24-2014, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I miss my projector =/ Square Trade sent my projector back without fixing it... It came with a checklist but nothing useful but to call them. So I did the person on the phone had no information neither and said they would call me back.. 2 days went by no call.

Contacted BenQ as my projector was out of warranty by approximately 3 weeks I didn't think they would help. I was surprised as I explained the problem the customer service agent said it sounds like a bad DLP chip and that it's covered by a extended warranty. Sent the projector to BenQ hoping they fix it.

Just a little update on my situation I posted a week or so ago.
post #8940 of 10136 Old 05-24-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnday View Post

I miss my projector =/ Square Trade sent my projector back without fixing it... It came with a checklist but nothing useful but to call them. So I did the person on the phone had no information neither and said they would call me back.. 2 days went by no call.

Contacted BenQ as my projector was out of warranty by approximately 3 weeks I didn't think they would help. I was surprised as I explained the problem the customer service agent said it sounds like a bad DLP chip and that it's covered by a extended warranty. Sent the projector to BenQ hoping they fix it.

Just a little update on my situation I posted a week or so ago.
You couldn't do an advanced replacement with BenQ as others have posted here doing?

What is the point of a square trade warranty if they are not going to cover the projector or is BenQ repairing it under the square trade warranty?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page