BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 9506 Old 05-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Has anyone built a hushbox for their W1070?  Do you have any photos or designs you could share?  I was sitting under the projector last night watching a typical drama (instead of sci-fi) and during the dialog I could easily hear the fan noise above me.  I'm hoping a limited hushbox (without running HVAC supply and return lines) would be sufficient.

By the way, thanks for the previous tips.  I've not yet taken pictures of my setup, but I've got the new W1070 ceiling mounted with the included mount and added a new Yamaha RX-V775 receiver to switch between my two HDMI sources (PS3, AT&T UVerse).  I built a speaker stand for my left-front and painted it flat black so I could locate the left-front near my closet door frame.  The left and right fronts are now equidistant from the "screen" which is still just a painted wall (nothing special).  The image is currently about 100" diagonal and I need to move the light switch shown in previous photos should I want to increase the screen size at all.

New in 2002:

Definitive Technology ProMonitor 80 x 4

Definitive Technology ProCenter 100

Definitive Technology ProSub 80

New in 2014:

BenQ W1070 Projector

Yamaha RX-V775WA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 9506 Old 05-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Liked: 15
I think it will be difficult to build a hushbox for this projector. I tried based on my design that was used with a Sharp XV9000 for 10 years. Every effort had the projector overheating and shutting off in a couple of hours. After the third time I gave up as I knew eventually the chip would be damaged. I was less concerned about noise than dust getting into the light path. I was circulating air that was being filtered by furnace filters. If anyone has been successful; I would love to hear about it.
post #9003 of 9506 Old 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, right now my setup is a yamaha receiver pass thought my source of movies ( my laptop ) form the output to this splitter (http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-SW-23500-HDMI-Splitter/dp/B007WR0CHU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1401406002&sr=8-8&keywords=1x2+hdmi+splitter ), with my video processing and the pj and my 3d tv. Everything is working but sometimes I have to unplug the splitter and to plug it again. I don't know about the quality of the sound if downgrade it the splitter. This splitter that you recommend me is little pricey and the monoprice doesn't have free shipping. Do you think I can negotiate with something cheaper?
And what about this ( http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-JTD0102-4K-Resolution/dp/B00CUMJRLY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1401406002&sr=8-13&keywords=1x2+hdmi+splitter )
Thank you
post #9004 of 9506 Old 05-29-2014, 07:00 PM

First post on mobile also please forgive me if this has been discussed before as this is a huge thread.
Just got my projector tonight. Our first ever projector and plugged it into the laptop to check it out.
I adjusted nothing and had it on a smooth surface.
I played 12min into a movie and felt like a lot of heat was coming from it. I touched it and Damn scorching hot! I instantly turned it off. Ran to the garage to find my temp gun took me about 5min came up and shot it and it read 150 deg. F

Advice, ideas, defective?
post #9005 of 9506 Old 05-29-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1THE2KING3 View Post

First post on mobile also please forgive me if this has been discussed before as this is a huge thread.
Just got my projector tonight. Our first ever projector and plugged it into the laptop to check it out.
I adjusted nothing and had it on a smooth surface.
I played 12min into a movie and felt like a lot of heat was coming from it. I touched it and Damn scorching hot! I instantly turned it off. Ran to the garage to find my temp gun took me about 5min came up and shot it and it read 150 deg. F

Advice, ideas, defective?
It's a several hundred degree lamp in there, yeah things get very hot. I wouldn't worry about it at all, but make sure you keep your receipt just in case something is wrong, that's what warranties are for. But, the projector has overheating sensors inside. Really, the projector should let you know if it overheats and will shut down. Make sure you keep good airflow around it.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9006 of 9506 Old 05-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Yep, it get pretty hot. I used mine on a box or floor when first testing and it was very hot. Now that it's mounted to the ceiling I think it's not as bad. The next time I will see what temp it is.
post #9007 of 9506 Old 05-30-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I know its somewhere within these pages but has anyone found cost effective 3D glasses that work well with this projector? Thanks.
post #9008 of 9506 Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinc View Post

I know its somewhere within these pages but has anyone found cost effective 3D glasses that work well with this projector? Thanks.

Check out the 3D display thread on the forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1448720/benq-w1070-144hz-compatible-dlp-link-3d-glasses
post #9009 of 9506 Old 05-30-2014, 06:42 AM

Thank you guys for the replies. I will keep my eyes on the temps and report back. 12min into a movie and it was already so hot had me worried...

Definitely keeping the receipt.

Hope to mount it to the ceiling soon. Hot air rises, but it will have exceptional ventilation in the air.

Anyone happen to know what is considered an acceptable ~ operating temp?

TIA!

post #9010 of 9506 Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brilong View Post

Has anyone built a hushbox for their W1070?  Do you have any photos or designs you could share?  I was sitting under the projector last night watching a typical drama (instead of sci-fi) and during the dialog I could easily hear the fan noise above me.  I'm hoping a limited hushbox (without running HVAC supply and return lines) would be sufficient.

By the way, thanks for the previous tips.  I've not yet taken pictures of my setup, but I've got the new W1070 ceiling mounted with the included mount and added a new Yamaha RX-V775 receiver to switch between my two HDMI sources (PS3, AT&T UVerse).  I built a speaker stand for my left-front and painted it flat black so I could locate the left-front near my closet door frame.  The left and right fronts are now equidistant from the "screen" which is still just a painted wall (nothing special).  The image is currently about 100" diagonal and I need to move the light switch shown in previous photos should I want to increase the screen size at all.

Try running it on ECO mode if you havent done so already.. much quieter than both normal and smart eco mode.
brilong likes this.
post #9011 of 9506 Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Quick question guys.... How far away should I be sitting from a 125 inch (diagonal) screen ?

According to some calculators I've seen, I should be at least 12 1/2 feet from eyeballs to screen. Does that seem accurate ?
I know people have addressed this but in my opinion the content you will be watching should also be taken into account. I sit around 9 - 9.5' from my 100" screen. Cable TV can look pretty bad with this size and distance. When I stand in the room next to where the projector is and view the screen you do not see all the bad qualities of the picture that you see up close from all the compression that cable companies due to the signal and I am using Direct TV which is suppose to be one of the best.

Watching a blue ray at this same distance looks great or even Netflix. Since I do watch a lot of cable TV from my seating distance I would not go larger then 100". If I was doing strictly blu ray and Netflix viewing I think I would be able to push it a little more even.

At the 9.5 feet I sit from my 65" plasma, I do not see all the bad qualities of the picture from Direct TV. So what you view plays a lot to do with distance. Recommended distances are assuming you are viewing the best quality picture you can. On my plasma. I can put on an SD channel from cable that you wouldn't be able to bear looking at for more then 1 minute at 9.5 feet but move back around 15-16ft and it looks the same as an HD channel. You cannot see any of the pictures shortcomings at that distance with that size panel.
post #9012 of 9506 Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 144
So, obviously with this projector being able to do 3D, and this being my first 3D capable projector, I really want to check it out and see how it is. Only thing is, in my projector room, my AVR is an older AVR that isn't compatible with 3D stuff.

So, that means, that if I wanted to watch a 3D Blu Ray, from my Sony BDP-S5100 blu ray player, I would need to run the hdmi out on the blu ray player directly to the W1070, and I'd have to use coaxial or optical digital outs from the S5100 to my older receiver for the sound. Of course that means no lossless 7.1 or whatever. Now, I remember back to when 3D first came on the scene, and people were running into this problem. There were various ways of getting around this issue, but it required a bunch of different switch boxes and stuff. It was pretty complicated.

Now that we are like 4 or 5 years removed from the whole 3D craze (that didn't really take hold), is there an easy, relatively cheap way for me to get around this without having to buy a brand new AVR for that room ?
post #9013 of 9506 Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

So, obviously with this projector being able to do 3D, and this being my first 3D capable projector, I really want to check it out and see how it is. Only thing is, in my projector room, my AVR is an older AVR that isn't compatible with 3D stuff.

So, that means, that if I wanted to watch a 3D Blu Ray, from my Sony BDP-S5100 blu ray player, I would need to run the hdmi out on the blu ray player directly to the W1070, and I'd have to use coaxial or optical digital outs from the S5100 to my older receiver for the sound. Of course that means no lossless 7.1 or whatever. Now, I remember back to when 3D first came on the scene, and people were running into this problem. There were various ways of getting around this issue, but it required a bunch of different switch boxes and stuff. It was pretty complicated.

Now that we are like 4 or 5 years removed from the whole 3D craze (that didn't really take hold), is there an easy, relatively cheap way for me to get around this without having to buy a brand new AVR for that room ?

First thing's first: using your current AVR, try running a 3D signal/bluray to your projector and check if the projector doesn't detect the source as 3D. I've seen cases of older AVR's that actually do pass through 3D (despite no mention of it). It tends to be a HDMI-bandwidth limitation; so it won't affect all AVR's that don't explicitly 'support' 3D.
If the projector successfully switches to 3D mode, then you're in luck.

If it doesn't, then yeah - the simplest solution (and probably cheapest) is what you've already suggested: ie, use the optical output on your player (to the AVR) to handle sound and use direct HDMI to do video.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9014 of 9506 Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Has anyone had their picture settings reset themselves to default? I had mine set just how I liked them on User 1 but then noticed they had reset to default. Very annoying. I hadn't even unplugged it.

Anyway to stop this from happening?
post #9015 of 9506 Old 05-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd555 View Post

Has anyone had their picture settings reset themselves to default? I had mine set just how I liked them on User 1 but then noticed they had reset to default. Very annoying. I hadn't even unplugged it.

Anyway to stop this from happening?

I dint know if this is the issue but, every input has its own setting memory. Plus besides the input so does 3d mode. If you changed to anyone of these combinations then it will show the default user 1 in that input or mode.
pd555 likes this.
post #9016 of 9506 Old 05-31-2014, 12:15 PM

Yes, you are right. I had been using HDMI 2 randomly but today switched to HDMI 1. So that must be it. Good thinking
post #9017 of 9506 Old 05-31-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I have not had that problem at all but I only use one HDMI input and 1 for pc.
pd555 likes this.

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 La Scala bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, 2 Danley DTS10 subs, & Yamaha P7000s.
post #9018 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could get a powered HDMI splitter and run one to the 1070 and one to your AVR. Much less expensive than buying a new receiver.
post #9019 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Anyone know where you go to register this projector?
post #9020 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor View Post

You could get a powered HDMI splitter and run one to the 1070 and one to your AVR. Much less expensive than buying a new receiver.

I'm wondering if Anthony's original suggestion of just using a straight optical connection doesn't make a bit more sense in this case...

The reason being that an older receiver is not likely to support lossless formats to begin with ie DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD (older AVR's tend only to support straight DTS or Dolby Digital - both of which can already generally be transmitted - ie, bitstreamed - via a straight Optical connection.)

In this case, adding extra powered hardware in the form of a splitter may not be necessary: Optical is a digital transport and isn't susceptible to line loss; so it'd sound as good. In both cases, we're splitting the Audio and Video signals and sending them separately.

Of course if the only alternative was analog line-level audio (with optical being out the question)... Well, a splitter is the way to go for sure.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #9021 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

I'm wondering if Anthony's original suggestion of just using a straight optical connection doesn't make a bit more sense in this case...

The reason being that an older receiver is not likely to support lossless formats to begin with ie DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD (older AVR's tend only to support straight DTS or Dolby Digital - both of which can already generally be transmitted - ie, bitstreamed - via a straight Optical connection.)

In this case, adding extra powered hardware in the form of a splitter may not be necessary: Optical is a digital transport and isn't susceptible to line loss; so it'd sound as good. In both cases, we're splitting the Audio and Video signals and sending them separately.

Of course if the only alternative was analog line-level audio (with optical being out the question)... Well, a splitter is the way to go for sure.
Actually, there are other issues here that run across the board.

1. HDMI splitters use highest common denominator with audio formats. Since the W1070 has audio connectivity, it will force player audio to stereo, and this may not be defeatable due to EDID.
2. It is also possible, that because the receiver wouldn't handle the 3D formats, that the EDID would force 1080p or 1080i as the only acceptable resolution, once again due to EDID issues.
3. It certainly was possible for HDMI 1.3 receivers to handle high bitrate audio, but it was typically decoded as PCM from the receiver, not bitstream HD codecs, but already decoded by the player. Since most players do this, it is possible the receiver could handle HD audio just fine...

But, because of numbers 1 & 2 it is very unlikely that a HDMI splitter would be the proper solution to achieve the goal. I would think the best that could be expected would be digital optical/coaxial along with a HDMI directly to the receiver.

The solution, 5 years down the road, is the same as it was when 3D came out. Either roll with a 3D capable A/V receiver, or get a BD player with 2 HDMI outputs, or with analog outputs to handle audio on one side and the video to the projector connection on the other HDMI output.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9022 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 12:02 PM

Liked: 20
Some of the Internals of the projector:

https://plus.google.com/photos/118085649901407209777/albums/6020030455648942289

Also I'm thinking how to mak it a dust proof...

---
This would be a nice speaker for a replacement:

https://www.parts-express.com/hiwave-bmr12-compact-2-full-range-square-speaker-12w-8-ohm--299-208

post #9023 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugF View Post

Some of the Internals of the projector:

https://plus.google.com/photos/118085649901407209777/albums/6020030455648942289

Also I'm thinking how to mak it a dust proof...

Nice - thanks for sharing that gallery! I see you got the optical block out: I wonder what the best way to clean dust that's settled inside it is... Any openings to insert a q-tip for cleaning the mirror/lens surfaces? (Can't see from the photos...). Or would it have to be disassembled?

In the interim, whenever we do serious cleaning of our room, I've 'fabricated' a dust cover by cutting a slit in top of the dust protector that the projector comes packaged in:

...since my last set of dust issues occurred on the day of a spring clean.

post #9024 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have not seen this particular question asked....so I apologize if it has already been covered.

Since getting the projector we watch about half on the TV and half on the projector, almost exclusively from the PS3. The problem is that means having to frequently unhook the HDMI going to the PS3 to swap between them. Is there an HDMI splitter that will let me take one source and send it to two displays? It seems like most splitters just allow two devices to share one HDMI port.

Audio isn't an issue, I just run that from the PS3 to my older receiver (that does not have HDMI) using an optical cable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
post #9025 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post

I have not seen this particular question asked....so I apologize if it has already been covered.

Since getting the projector we watch about half on the TV and half on the projector, almost exclusively from the PS3. The problem is that means having to frequently unhook the HDMI going to the PS3 to swap between them. Is there an HDMI splitter that will let me take one source and send it to two displays? It seems like most splitters just allow two devices to share one HDMI port.

Audio isn't an issue, I just run that from the PS3 to my older receiver (that does not have HDMI) using an optical cable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Nevermind, I found some after a quick Google search. It seems like there are some HDMI 1.3 splitters and for a little bit more money you can get an HDMI 1.4 splitter. As far as I can tell, the only reason I would need to get the 1.4 is for 3D...is that correct?
post #9026 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post

It seems like there are some HDMI 1.3 splitters and for a little bit more money you can get an HDMI 1.4 splitter. As far as I can tell, the only reason I would need to get the 1.4 is for 3D...is that correct?

Denon has an excellent article on the capabilities of the various HDMI versions:
http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/192/~/differences-between-hdmi-versions-1.1,-1.2,-1.3a,-and-1.4a%3F

But yes, HD frame-packed 3D support (which will play nicely with your PS3) is the one that'll likely matter most.

post #9027 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have an onkyo 805 receiver. Would this receiver be able to pass through the 3d signal?
post #9028 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I have a question for those with ceiling mounts.  My room will have a fairly good amount of pressure due to subs so I was wondering do you install your ceiling mounts to studs?  Sorry if this is odd question for this thread....it is a w1070 I am mounting :)

post #9029 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I have an onkyo 805 receiver. Would this receiver be able to pass through the 3d signal?

Nope, not 1.4 compliant. frown.gif

post #9030 of 9506 Old 06-01-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post

I have a question for those with ceiling mounts.  My room will have a fairly good amount of pressure due to subs so I was wondering do you install your ceiling mounts to studs?  Sorry if this is odd question for this thread....it is a w1070 I am mounting smile.gif

I would if at all possible.... but I had to mount mine between due to only location available for screen vs projector centering and used 'wall hog' anchors and it's still up there.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page