BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 304 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9091 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ear4hire View Post

Hey now, i was just asking a question there buddy. Don't go and get your av cables in a bunch now lol. But joking aside, the 1080ST is a great projector for the price. I went back and forth when trying to decide to buy the 1070 or its brother the 1080ST. The benifits of lens shift can be negated with a tape measure and a little patience. You are right about it being for limited space applications, but it's not distracting being mounted in front of you. It also keeps heat,noise, and light leakage from behind or straight above your head.

Not trying to start a thread battle just making a point.
Yeah, A/V told you!

Just kidding.....I am sure you can't go wrong with either one. I would be curious to see them set up side by did with each other to see if they would offer the same pq or if there would be a noticeable difference at all.

Even if they did offer the same exact picture and taking away all the things A/V mentioned can be a problem with the pq, if you have the distance for the W1070, why would be the justification for spending more money on a W1080.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9092 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks again for Your classy response Ftoast.

I gues, Best bet it seems 1080 for on the table use short distance.

-Iam gonna order Fixed Screen 100inch with a portable type stand together.

OS white smooth.

ps:

I just check the bulp price; its around 250$ in some sites.

I hope this is it. for the decision  for my first ever dream projector.

every single day pass, my mind change what model or what brand I should choice etc etc… Its a bit stressful aspecialy as a newbie.

in a week 2014 FIFA WC Finals will gonna start… Its gonna be dream view for me  hopefully.

post #9093 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

While the 1070 and 1080 use the same basic engine, the lens makeup for a short throw system is extremely difficult to get right.

Short throw systems have extreme projection angles. The top part of the projection is almost level from the lens, while the bottom part may be over 50 degrees in reference to the lens. So, you are using a great deal of the available lens to get that image on screen. To do this properly not only requires a very well designed lens, it requires a good lens for best results. Also, because of the sharp angle which the image is hitting the screen, the screen must be perfectly flat. A retractable screen that has a 1/2" wave in the material will distort the image by several inches on screen because of this sharp angle of projection.

With a longer throw lens, you use less of the lens material to project through. This also is typically more towards the center of the lens. It produces a sharper image, and tends to be a bit higher in contrast. It is more forgiving of a less than perfect screen and delivers the sharpest image quality possible.

Hopefully that's a better answer than 'why would you want to use short throw?' biggrin.gifwink.gif

This also applies to using the zoom within a projector. It's best to be about 3/4" of the way back in the zoom range or a bit more if possible and realistic for similar reasons.

So all i got from this is that 1070 owners can have lazy screens that refuse to walk the straight path. Nothing but slackers! Lol

No but seriously thanks for a very good detailed explanation between the two models.

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #9094 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:

[b]While the 1070 and 1080 use the same basic engine, the lens makeup for a short throw system is extremely difficult to get right.

Short throw systems have extreme projection angles. The top part of the projection is almost level from the lens, while the bottom part may be over 50 degrees in reference to the lens. So, you are using a great deal of the available lens to get that image on screen. To do this properly not only requires a very well designed lens, it requires a good lens for best results. Also, because of the sharp angle which the image is hitting the screen, the screen must be perfectly flat. A retractable screen that has a 1/2" wave in the material will distort the image by several inches on screen because of this sharp angle of projection.[/b]

A good read  for me as a newbie. Thanks about it .

So, Iam gonna buy OS_Fixed Screen 100inch white smooth type,. is it gonna work from 3~4 meter distance for 1080? ,.in a dark room(projector on the table use).

Thanks for the response .

Sincerely,

post #9095 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencio00 View Post

Thanks again for Your classy response Ftoast.

I gues, Best bet it seems 1080 for on the table use short distance.

-Iam gonna order Fixed Screen 100inch with a portable type stand together.
OS white smooth.

ps:

I just check the bulp price; its around 250$ in some sites.

I hope this is it. for the decision  for my first ever dream projector.
every single day pass, my mind change what model or what brand I should choice etc etc… Its a bit stressful aspecialy as a newbie.

in a week 2014 FIFA WC Finals will gonna start… Its gonna be dream view for me  hopefully.

Hey don't go blind Silencio sitting to close! But don't worry you'll enjoy it, and make your friends kick in for the beer!
silencio00 likes this.

Nearly all men can stand adversity , but if you want to test a man's character , give him power.
Abraham Lincoln.
post #9096 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Hey don't go blind Silencio sitting to close! But don't worry you'll enjoy it, and make your friends kick in for the beer!

Thanks Sir.

You  and other kind responders did help me about lot. I learned lot in  short time.

At least one thing I learned clear :) 

LED is a bitter sweet for now, hopefully maybe in the future I will jump on it.

When I become  a part of the AVForum Family, My first intent(wonder and think to buy were) a LED projector.Duo to TV replacement potential.

But, Soon in here, I learned the budget type projector could work magic and trick as a tv use view,with a few bulp(not pricey one) additions.

That was a good lesson I learned from You Guys. Thanks .

ps:

[b]One Day, If I will Find  a Good(maybe best?) only/just 2D Full HD 1080p projector LED,or *DLP  ,I will willing to pay up to the 4000$[/b]. 

(*dlp one  if its possible ;budget bulp is best  for me).

for now,it seems only option is 1080 Benq(actually its a 3D ,but I will not use 3D, I love 2D) .

Again,

Thanks Fellas.

Regards,

post #9097 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Sir.

You  and other kind responders did help me about lot. I learned lot in  short time.

At least one thing I learned clear smile.gif 
LED is a bitter sweet for now, hopefully maybe in the future I will jump on it.
When I become  a part of the AVForum Family, My first intent(wonder and think to buy were) a LED projector.Duo to TV replacement potential.
But, Soon in here, I learned the budget type projector could work magic and trick as a tv use view,with a few bulp(not pricey one) additions.

That was a good lesson I learned from You Guys. Thanks .
ps:

One Day, If I will Find  a Good(maybe best?) only/just 2D Full HD 1080p projector LED,or *DLP  ,I will willing to pay up to the 4000$
(*dlp one  if its possible ;budget bulp is best  for me).

for now,it seems only option is 1080 Benq(actually its a 3D ,but I will not use 3D, I love 2D) .

Again,
Thanks Fellas.

Regards,
While price wise you might be in a budget range, the picture these projectors produce will easily fool you as being a budget product.

I promise you, whether you go with the 1070 or 1080 depending on your throw distance, you will not regret the purchase.

I am someone who purchases something and continues looking for something better the day I make the purchase. The W1070 was my 3rd projector in a months time and the day I got it I stopped looking for anything. There was no point, the picture is fantastic.

In comaprision, I went through 11 TV's before settling on a Panasonic VT60. I am not easy to please when it comes to video equipment. Lol...This sight will only feed into your crazy as well and just make you worse. When I joined a over a year ago I could not care less about video equipment. Owned a 52" 1080i DLP rear projection for like 7 years.

Just wanted to replace it with something cheap and 3D. Started with a 47" LG that was on sale for $499. Jump to a year later and also 11 TVs later I now own a 65VT60 and a W1070 projector with a 100" screen. LOL. Oh, and never watch 3D which was the whole reason for a new TV.

The pattern here is it starts out with you just want something and it then turns into wanting everything. The good thing with the BenQ projector is that it is able to satisfy lots of people without having to empty out your bank account. Haha...

Sorry for the long story. Moral of the story though, this site is the best out there but make sure you manage your money wisely because you will want to sell everything you own to get that latest and greatest TV that everyone says you must have.
old corps and silencio00 like this.
post #9098 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 09:14 PM

Eric ,

Thanks for the kind and classy commend about it.

For me Its a joy to read Your enjoying toy(1070) feeling.

Back to the topic;

A hour ago I checked Benq official site/throw calculated section;

It says; for 100inch screen; 1070;

-> Distance from Projector to Screen : 2.54 meter.

My sofa place is 3 meter from the screen.(sofa almost on the line of the back wall).

If I put 1070 on the table use in front of my sofa Between 2.50~3 meter… <->

duo to the limit of the table placement spot, I gues I must locate the projector and table to the next to the my sofa(its a double person seats type sofa)...

And in this point I wonder about heat from fan etc. Here in Japan is very hot in the summer and humid. ;(

I don't have air conditioner,  only portable room type fan I use.. maybe soon I can buy dyson tower . I don't know how to solution about heat of fan and maybe fan noise will be another minus point too.

For 1080st, the Distance from Projector to Screen  it says on benq official site; 1.53 meter.

If both model smiler image and quality, I think 1080st suit more relax and comfortable way to my room ability… 

Projector on the table and table in front of me(front of my sofa)  I will have empty space (between projector table to my seat) around 1.35 meter around space to not feel projector heat(?) at all,. I gues...

Final words; 1070 a bit risky to  me… therefor  1080st is best solution  it seems...

I hope it works. 

What do You recommend  about accessary for 1080st?

I will buy fixed screen  with a portable stand from OS 100inch white smooth type.

What else do I need?

Do I need Wifi  stick  etc?

I will not use 3 D at all, but, if friends coming, maybe it would be good to keep one or two 3 d glass (?), Could You Guys please  recommend what brand and model should I buy.

budget for glass 100$~150$ 

I wish I can find best 2D full hd 1080p projector with a not pricey bulp , but,it seems  currently only the 3D option type projector I could 1080,1070 . 

Why can't I find 2D only :(  

At the final : a bitter sweet solution(1080,1070) for me this time... anyway :p

Thanks again to You and everyone for kind and classy responses. Since become member  to avforum The lesson never over , I'm glad and joy  to read  all these important commends in the AVForum Family.

Finally I can move to my first ever projector a dream become real .

Thanks Guys.

Sincerely,

post #9099 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

A good read  for me as a newbie. Thanks about it .

So, Iam gonna buy OS_Fixed Screen 100inch white smooth type,. is it gonna work from 3~4 meter distance for 1080? ,.in a dark room(projector on the table use).

Thanks for the response .

Sincerely,
You can also keep in mind that the projector has a range it will work from.
W1070 - 100 inch screen
Projection distance, lens to screen: 2.5m - 3.3m
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm

W1080 - 100 inch screen
Projection distance, lens to screen: 1.5m - 1.8m
http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1080ST-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Always good to know how to use the Projector Calculator at Projector Central.

Also not that lens offset should have the center of the lens about 1" or 2" below the bottom of the screen.
silencio00 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9100 of 9877 Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So all i got from this is that 1070 owners can have lazy screens that refuse to walk the straight path. Nothing but slackers! Lol

No but seriously thanks for a very good detailed explanation between the two models.
No problem. This is a general rule for all projectors. The typical projector will produce the sharpest image between 3/4 and all the way back in the zoom range. So, if your range was 10 to 20 feet, I would shoot for about 18' lens to screen.

But, between projectors, a great deal has to do with the design of the lens, and the quality of the glass (plastic?) which they use. Certainly a very good glass lens with shorter throw distance could outperform a cheap plastic lens from further away. But, as always, it depends on what you are actually working with.

At the end of the day, if you have a slacker screen, get a projector which is willing to put up with that junk. You hear? biggrin.gif

Otherwise, both models look very similar and perform very well. I've installed both and have the 1070 myself. Pure luck it has held up to the competition over the past year and a half.
ellisr63 likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9101 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have air conditioner,  only portable room type fan I use.. maybe soon I can buy dyson tower . I don't know how to solution about heat of fan and maybe fan noise will be another minus point too.
Screw the projector, get some air conditioning first! We see where your priorities are, you will fit right in here at AVS. biggrin.gif
silencio00 likes this.
post #9102 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Got my projector back guys it's the original unit they fixed most of the white circles I still have some and when it's out of focus I can see the white specs of crap. Looks like they got some out but not all of it.. =( I sent them a email I'll post pics when I get a chance later.

post #9103 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it just me or do other people who got into the projector game now shake their heads at people who spend $7,000 - $10,000 on flat panel 80" LCD TV's. I try to convince them they should save themselves $8,0000 and buy a projector and just a cheaper flat panel if they need one for during the day but they just love to spend ridiculous money on these overpriced LCD's and still walk away with a smaller screen.....rolleyes.gif
post #9104 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Is it just me or do other people who got into the projector game now shake their heads at people who spend $7,000 - $10,000 on flat panel 80" LCD TV's. I try to convince them they should save themselves $8,0000 and buy a projector and just a cheaper flat panel if they need one for during the day but they just love to spend ridiculous money on these overpriced LCD's and still walk away with a smaller screen.....rolleyes.gif

I am still feeling the pain for spending $2600 for Samsung 58" 3D plasma TV when it first came out.

post #9105 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not at all. There is a time and a place for front projection. I wouldn't trade my 64" plasma for a projector, because I use the TV 3+ hours every day in the middle of the day in an open floor plan home. This is very common for many people. It's not that they don't want a huge screen, it's that they want a screen they can view all the time, day or night, and some people just don't have a room which can be made acceptable for front projection.

But, I still feel the pain of my 64" display in the room it is in, so that will get swapped out for a 90" Sharp when budget allows, and the 64" plasma will move into the (future) game room in the basement along with the 161" projection setup.

There are times when I think people want a projector more than they want a decent viewing experience, and I recommend a flat panel to them, which is tough for some people to accept. If your room sucks, a flat panel is a better way to go, or you should plan a dual projection/flat panel setup. But, people won't always know about the need for external surround sound and other possible obstacles to their setup.

Still, consider the price of the W1070, it's a shame that most people don't have something in their home.

post #9106 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not at all. There is a time and a place for front projection. I wouldn't trade my 64" plasma for a projector, because I use the TV 3+ hours every day in the middle of the day in an open floor plan home. This is very common for many people. It's not that they don't want a huge screen, it's that they want a screen they can view all the time, day or night, and some people just don't have a room which can be made acceptable for front projection.

But, I still feel the pain of my 64" display in the room it is in, so that will get swapped out for a 90" Sharp when budget allows, and the 64" plasma will move into the (future) game room in the basement along with the 161" projection setup.

There are times when I think people want a projector more than they want a decent viewing experience, and I recommend a flat panel to them, which is tough for some people to accept. If your room sucks, a flat panel is a better way to go, or you should plan a dual projection/flat panel setup. But, people won't always know about the need for external surround sound and other possible obstacles to their setup.

Still, consider the price of the W1070, it's a shame that most people don't have something in their home.
I don't know. $8,000 for an edge lit LED. Sure, I have a 65" plasma I watch during the day and I will continue to purchase flat panels for daytime viewing but now owning a projector I feel like I can cut back on what I would normally spend on one. I don't feel the need to purchase the best flat panel because I know it is not going to take over my immersive viewing the projector offers.
post #9107 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

anyone having issues registering their projector on benq warranty site? its not accepting my serial number??

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #9108 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Screw the projector, get some air conditioning first! We see where your priorities are, you will fit right in here at AVS. biggrin.gif

:). If You gues how much AV items I bought(freak level) in recent 5 years. You will quit the forum really that much out of control way I did. :p

Back to the topic; I used air conditioner ones ,but ones I move to the new apartment,the rules  says no to use AC .

Only solution is; portable fan etc. Thats what I useing currently,and probably will use same way with projector too.

Thanks for the response.

Regards,

post #9109 of 9877 Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanythingrock View Post

anyone having issues registering their projector on benq warranty site? its not accepting my serial number??
Can you post a link to the site. I looked for the site to register but couldn't find it.
post #9110 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

http://club.benq.com.tw/regsg/login.asp

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #9111 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayanythingrock View Post

http://club.benq.com.tw/regsg/login.asp
When you go to register, the first screen mentions BenQ Singapore. Is this for US registrations?
post #9112 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey guys, I got this projector and absolutely love it. Projecting onto a Seymour XD 120" diag screen and the picture quality is incredible. One question though, is anyone else having issues with the remote? I have to stand up and get the remote extremely close to the projector and have it facing at just the right angle to get it to work. I've tried multiple sets of brand new batteries to I don't think that is the issue. Are you guys able to get the remote working better than that? Is it responsive if you are just sitting in your MLP? I love the projector, but can't stand the remote!! Is it defective? Thanks!
post #9113 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkwaz View Post

Hey guys, I got this projector and absolutely love it. Projecting onto a Seymour XD 120" diag screen and the picture quality is incredible. One question though, is anyone else having issues with the remote? I have to stand up and get the remote extremely close to the projector and have it facing at just the right angle to get it to work. I've tried multiple sets of brand new batteries to I don't think that is the issue. Are you guys able to get the remote working better than that? Is it responsive if you are just sitting in your MLP? I love the projector, but can't stand the remote!! Is it defective? Thanks!

Is the remote the new backlit one? What firmware are you running? Mine is very good and I can even aim it at the screen and it works. Sometimes it works too good and the bounce of the ir signal causes it to double a button push.
post #9114 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post

Is the remote the new backlit one? What firmware are you running? Mine is very good and I can even aim it at the screen and it works. Sometimes it works too good and the bounce of the ir signal causes it to double a button push.

Yep, the remote is the new backlit one. I am running 01-107 and the manufacture date is March 2014. Should I update firmware maybe?
post #9115 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds like you have a bad one. I can point mine nearly anywhere and it works. A quick test would be to point a digital camera at the IR emitter and push buttons. The camera should show a bright blue/nearly white light from the IR in the viewfinder. If it's dim the remote may be weak for some reason.
post #9116 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I actually did try to view 3d clips, movies from even you tube via my PS3 and it works great as in everything Pop Out in your face Youtube mvies/clips come in Side By Side Format.

Tried the my copy of the 3d (Blu Ray Frame Packing format) Tangled movie on my friends EPSON 3010E 3D Projector last night and lanterns scene actually Popped Out into the room, 3D Pop Out effect was amazing, Same scene has no pop outs on my projector w1070 when i play the same Blu Ray Movie. 

Like I said before the SBS Format movies & clips from Comcast, or You tube work excellent and the 3D Pop Out is in your face.

However the any of my 3d Blu Ray Movies are detected and played by my PJ in 3D Frame Packing format however they are FLAT.

No Pop Out Effect.

Yes I did upgrade my firmware version to 1.8 . Guess this also didn't fix the issue for frame packing format.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if my PJ W1070 may have a defect for frame packing mode or may be my True Depth Firestorm XL Active Glasses don't support Frame Packing Mode @1080P/24 HZ,

However PJ & True Depth XL Firestorm glasses play the same movies and clips from comcast or youtube in Side By Side Format (@ 1080i/60HZ) and there is great 3D Pop Out Effect which is in your face.

I am thinking of ordering either Ben Q 3D Glasses from amazon or Saisonic 3d glasses and again test my blu ray frame packing format movies just make sure it may not be my 3D (True Depth firestorm xl) glass issue.... as in May Be True Depth Firestorm XL dont support 3D Frame Packing format or 3D Blu RayMovies with similar format. Since all Blu Ray 3D Movies come only in Frame Packing Format.......

Guys Any Advice would be greatly appreciated..... Thanks. 

post #9117 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkwaz View Post

...anyone else having issues with the remote? ... Is it defective?
The answer is yes. It sounds like you have a defective remote.

Call BenQ, they will send you a new one. I'm pretty sure there are posts in this thread about it, but a few remotes have been defective. BenQ should have no issues just sending you a new one.

post #9118 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 PM

Liked: 16
Now my 110" screen looks small. DYI outdoor screen using Carl's Place blackout cloth it's 228" Dia and my BenQ w1070 did a great job with the image. I am thinking of building my next indoor screen I really like the "borderless" look.

Tommy Mang likes this.
post #9119 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Is it normal that vent is blowing  hot air?

This make my small home theater room very hot.

post #9120 of 9877 Old 06-07-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:

The answer is yes. It sounds like you have a defective remote.

Call BenQ, they will send you a new one. I'm pretty sure there are posts in this thread about it, but a few remotes have been defective. BenQ should have no issues just sending you a new one.

Awesome, thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page