BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 306 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9151 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Samsung and Sony make decent 3d bluray players (100-200). Was just wondering if they are any better then ps3. I was told the ps3 has a fairly good bluray system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9152 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

Thanks for the explanation kreeturez.

So this could make a big difference in the image resolution of the projector, especially in a 135' screen like I have, right?

Is there any options (software or hardware) to do an upscale of  HSBS 3d from netflix to Frame Packs 1080p?

Yeah, 3D @ Full-HD should be superior (generally speaking) compared to 3D @ Half-SBS-1080p.

Some AVR-Receivers might upscale; but the biggest increase in quality will be using a higher-quality source: bluray is usually as good as it gets. And the difference (especially on a large screen like yours) will usually be very obvious.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9153 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighvy76 View Post

Samsung and Sony make decent 3d bluray players (100-200). Was just wondering if they are any better then ps3. I was told the ps3 has a fairly good bluray system.

It is.

Pair it with the PS3 Bluray Remote and it's more-than-capable as a Bluray player. (The proper Bluray remote is much nicer to use than the game controllers).

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #9154 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

It is.

Pair it with the PS3 Bluray Remote and it's more-than-capable as a Bluray player. (The proper Bluray remote is much nicer to use than the game controllers).
I have the ps3 remote but I usually end up using the controller lol and yeah its agrovation trying to figure what button does what. I'm looking at a harmony remote
post #9155 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Games are frame-packed only.

Movies will play in SBS if the source video is already an SBS file.

Blurays only will play as frame-packed.

I can't get the projector to play SBS with my PS3..

The Side by Side option is disable in the BenQ w1070 3D setting.

What is your output setting on the PS3 or what are you doing to get it work?

post #9156 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post

Quote:

Games are frame-packed only.

Movies will play in SBS if the source video is already an SBS file.

Blurays only will play as frame-packed.

I can't get the projector to play SBS with my PS3..

The Side by Side option is disable in the BenQ w1070 3D setting.

What is your output setting on the PS3 or what are you doing to get it work?

Make sure you're running the latest projector firmware (1.08). On the PS3, in Video Settings, set Video Output Format to RGB:
se4u7ese.jpg

Then when playing any SBS content (I'm using a 2D file as an example for lack of 3D ones on flash disk - but those are the same), the SBS setting is available on the projector; along with top/bottom:
3y5ade5y.jpg

This is at Full-HD (1080p):
urysu5yq.jpg

Works fine my side... Double check your projector firmware version?

post #9157 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello. I'm interested in getting a w1070 projector but have these two quick questions about positioning: If I needed to adjust the horizontal image with the w1070 as it has no horizontal shift, could I always adjust it via keystone even with the "distorsions" in the image the keystone makes?

I have read that in order to use the w1070 you either need to place it high on the ceiling or low in a low coffee table but not in a shelf? I would need to place it in a shelf being that if I were to draw an imaginary line from the lens projector to the screen said imaginary line would be just 8 inches shy from the center of the screen (my screen is a 135" with a total height, incluiding frame of 70 inches. Horizontal wise the projector would be also about 8-10 inches from the center. Do you think using the vertical shift + keystone (if needed) I could adjust the image so I can place the projector in said shelf? The height given by the shelf is almost halfway from the floor and the ceiling...

Thank you!
post #9158 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post

Hello. I'm interested in getting a w1070 projector but have these two quick questions about positioning: If I needed to adjust the horizontal image with the w1070 as it has no horizontal shift, could I always adjust it via keystone even with the "distorsions" in the image the keystone makes?

I have read that in order to use the w1070 you either need to place it high on the ceiling or low in a low coffee table but not in a shelf? I would need to place it in a shelf being that if I were to draw an imaginary line from the lens projector to the screen said imaginary line would be just 8 inches shy from the center of the screen (my screen is a 135" with a total height, incluiding frame of 70 inches. Horizontal wise the projector would be also about 8-10 inches from the center. Do you think using the vertical shift + keystone (if needed) I could adjust the image so I can place the projector in said shelf? The height given by the shelf is almost halfway from the floor and the ceiling...

Thank you!
Shelf-mounting isn't going to work in your case, unfortunately.

There isn't any horizontal correction available - neither digital (keystoning) nor lens shift.

The lens needs to be horizontally exactly in the middle of the screen.

Vertically, the lens needs to be vertically at roughly the same height as the bottom (if table-mounting) or top (if ceiling-mounting) of the screen. The lens shift is tiny and only shifts either a little bit upwards (table-mounted) or downwards (ceiling-mounted) - so positioning it around the middle of your screen won't work, unfortunately.
obonillaf likes this.

post #9159 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Shelf-mounting isn't going to work in your case, unfortunately.

There isn't any horizontal correction available - neither digital (keystoning) nor lens shift.

The lens needs to be horizontally exactly in the middle of the screen.

Vertically, the lens needs to be vertically at roughly the same height as the bottom (if table-mounting) or top (if ceiling-mounting) of the screen. The lens shift is tiny and only shifts either a little bit upwards (table-mounted) or downwards (ceiling-mounted) - so positioning it around the middle of your screen won't work, unfortunately.

Tha'ts the kind of reply I love. Informative and to the point. Thank you for your insight because now I know I have one less option to analize even though I would have love to try it.
post #9160 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Make sure you're running the latest projector firmware (1.08). On the PS3, in Video Settings, set Video Output Format to RGB:
se4u7ese.jpg

Then when playing any SBS content (I'm using a 2D file as an example for lack of 3D ones on flash disk - but those are the same), the SBS setting is available on the projector; along with top/bottom:
3y5ade5y.jpg

urysu5yq.jpg

Thanks!

Will try this setting when i go home.

post #9161 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

My BenQ firmware is 1.08, i upgraded it from 1.06

post #9162 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Has anyone watched I Frankenstein in 3d. If so what do u think of the 3d pop in this movie.
post #9163 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

What are good samples of 3d I can watch on you tube maybe?
post #9164 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I am watchin these 3d YouTube clips in sbs. Wow this stuff is popping. Does the ps3 do sbs? If so is it determined by the movie or player? Is it an option to chose sbs over frame packing?
post #9165 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Liked: 66
OT: Is there a non-DLP alternative that's as good as the W1070? I had a DLP TV go to "salt-n-pepper" and don't want that failure again.
post #9166 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

What's a better option splitter or running an HDMI cable straight to second input of projector?
post #9167 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A splitter is better assuming you are using a receiver and speakers.
post #9168 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Yes search for 3D SBS Clips in you tube via PS3 and it will bring a lot of results also some fish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyPLTtj-cxg) video which is about an hour long and it has amazing 3D POP OUT Effect. Remember you need to set your PJ 3D Setting to SBS Mode. 

However in my experience  all 3D Blu Ray Discs (original ones) will play only in Frame Packing format via PS3 and cannot be changed to SBS Mode. It will have 3D Depth but NO 3D Pop Out when played in this format.

Which is why I bought a SONY 3D Blu Ray Player BDP 5200 and it works great and has 3D POP Out Effect & Depth when playing the Bu Ray 3D Discs in Frame Packing Format.

However all Cable (COMCAST) 3D Movies come only in SBS Mode and have great 3D DEPTH AND 3D POP OUT EFFECT. I really like the cable 3D movies SBS Format as all of them are literally in your face whenever there is a POP OUT Scene giving you a amazing experience...  Just my thoughts and preference.. Thanks.

post #9169 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

A splitter is better assuming you are using a receiver and speakers.

Why is a splitter better? I need a little help from you experts. Right now I have an onkyo recevier 805 that does not pass through 3D. I want to have either my PS3 or a standalone 3d blu ray player do the 3d. Right now I have a switch for my other components that go to receiver and a splitter that takes the output video from my receiver to my tv and projector. The splitter is an 1 in 2 out. Do I need to add another splitter to get the video signal to bypass receiver? I still want the projector to be used for my other components like my xbox one. How can I get this to work? Or is it better just running a second HDMI to the projector? I would rather not do the latter cause I would have to run this cable through the wall again. So please some suggestions would be great.
post #9170 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by d19racing View Post

Yes search for 3D SBS Clips in you tube via PS3 and it will bring a lot of results also some fish http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyPLTtj-cxg) video which is about an hour long and it has amazing 3D POP OUT Effect. Remember you need to set your PJ 3D Setting to SBS Mode. 

However in my experience  all 3D Blu Ray Discs (original ones) will play only in Frame Packing format via PS3 and cannot be changed to SBS Mode. It will have 3D Depth but NO 3D Pop Out when played in this format.

Which is why I bought a SONY 3D Blu Ray Player BDP 5200 and it works great and has 3D POP Out Effect & Depth when playing the Bu Ray 3D Discs in Frame Packing Format.

However all Cable (COMCAST) 3D Movies come only in SBS Mode and have great 3D DEPTH AND 3D POP OUT EFFECT. I really like the cable 3D movies SBS Format as all of them are literally in your face whenever there is a POP OUT Scene giving you a amazing experience...  Just my thoughts and preference.. Thanks.

What I understood with the answers to my previous questions is that Frame Packing should have the same pop out effect as SBS, if you have a source that can transmit it to the projector, with the advantage of having better resolution. With SBS resolution you are not using the full resolution capability of the projector. 

If I understood it right, with SBS 3D you will have half of the horizontal resolution of full HD (1920/2=960pixels), and this is lower than 720p horizontal resolution (1280pixels)

post #9171 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by d19racing View Post

Did you try changing the "screen size" setting in the PS3 and compare to pop out? supposedly, a small screen size settings improves the 3D.

post #9172 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

Did you try changing the "screen size" setting in the PS3 and compare to pop out? supposedly, a small screen size settings improves the 3D.

I have an 100 inch screen. Should I set it to 50?
post #9173 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

OT: Is there a non-DLP alternative that's as good as the W1070? I had a DLP TV go to "salt-n-pepper" and don't want that failure again.
That DMD failure from your old unit shouldn't be a worry for the 1070, but the concern is understandable. There are LCD and LCoS units that match or beat many of the w1070's qualities, but nothing that doesn't cost at least $500 more. There are lesser performing LCD options that have poorer contrast, clarity, and 3D performance which many still find very acceptable and only cost a couple hundred more.

That's kind of the 1070's thing, if you can match it to your screen and aren't super RBE sensitive, it's THE one to beat and you won't find anything matching/beating without paying quite a bit more.
post #9174 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Was there ever a consensus on the fan issue being a firmware fix? I'm split between this and the optoma 131.
post #9175 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Why is a splitter better? I need a little help from you experts. Right now I have an onkyo recevier 805 that does not pass through 3D. I want to have either my PS3 or a standalone 3d blu ray player do the 3d. Right now I have a switch for my other components that go to receiver and a splitter that takes the output video from my receiver to my tv and projector. The splitter is an 1 in 2 out. Do I need to add another splitter to get the video signal to bypass receiver? I still want the projector to be used for my other components like my xbox one. How can I get this to work? Or is it better just running a second HDMI to the projector? I would rather not do the latter cause I would have to run this cable through the wall again. So please some suggestions would be great.

I didn't realize your receiver didn't fully support your projector. You can use a second hdmi cable but now you also need a separate connection for your audio.
post #9176 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I didn't realize your receiver didn't fully support your projector. You can use a second hdmi cable but now you also need a separate connection for your audio.

correct. I still want my projector to be used for my other components. Now I need a straight connection to the 3d player too. I purchased the Panasonic DMP-BDT330 to try it out cause it has dual hdmi. Anyone else using this player in there setup? I just need to figure out the best solution to get the signal to the projector plus still having it work with my other stuff.
post #9177 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

correct. I still want my projector to be used for my other components. Now I need a straight connection to the 3d player too. I purchased the Panasonic DMP-BDT330 to try it out cause it has dual hdmi. Anyone else using this player in there setup? I just need to figure out the best solution to get the signal to the projector plus still having it work with my other stuff.

Try here. It has its own forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454617/panasonic-dmp-bdt330
bori likes this.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #9178 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 06:16 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

That DMD failure from your old unit shouldn't be a worry for the 1070, but the concern is understandable. There are LCD and LCoS units that match or beat many of the w1070's qualities, but nothing that doesn't cost at least $500 more. There are lesser performing LCD options that have poorer contrast, clarity, and 3D performance which many still find very acceptable and only cost a couple hundred more.

That's kind of the 1070's thing, if you can match it to your screen and aren't super RBE sensitive, it's THE one to beat and you won't find anything matching/beating without paying quite a bit more.

Well, if that's the case then I could "nearly" buy two BenQ W1070 for the price of one of the other. No worries then.
post #9179 of 9642 Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, I have a w1080st can only turn on and power off mine manually. I dont know why I cant switch it on or off with the remote! Can anyone help!?!?!

Thanks!@
post #9180 of 9642 Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

Its not show

Quote:

se4u7ese.jpg

3y5ade5y.jpg

urysu5yq.jpg

After changing the video output to RGB,in the BenQ Menu, I am still seeing YUV.

Side by Side is to still not working.

Any ideas?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page