BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 309 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9241 of 10009 Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by draftd View Post
I have this projector. Used it only on ecomode and the bulb blew at 3200 hours. Shortly before it blew i did have inlaws in town who slept in the living room and kept it on for practically 3 days straight. Replacement bulb was $200 from projectorpeople. I used it a lot on a daily basis. We will see how this one goes but im going to have to say that 6000 hours is pushing it. All in all though i really like the projector i have pretty much every 3d movie available and enjoy them on it. Plus i got the chinese sainsonic glasses 2 for 50 six total and with all 6 running i never have them drop out or leave sync.
I had almost 4000 hours on my bulb when I sent it in to BenQ for the fan problem... Bulb was fine still.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9242 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Alright guys been heavily reading this thread and have some basic questions that are particular to my room that I would like to run by everyone here. As a note this is a dedicated "theater" or movie room. Right now I have a Samsung plasma (50") wall mounted, running a Yamaha rx-v373 on 5.1 audio with a good set of sony speakers, speaker wires, hdmi wires and everything else is run in the walls and terminated with wall plates. I have decided to step up to a W1070 as a budget friendly upgrade to the small 50" TV. This is by no means ment to be a pro level theater, just a great room to watch movies and play some PS4 in. Thank you in advance for the help!

Room dimensions:
Width - 11.45 Feet (137.5")
Length - 14.66 Feet (176")
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

This a completely dark room, no windows, in a finished basement with a drop ceiling. The ceiling tiles are flat black and I am in the process of painting the rails flat black, the walls are currently the off white/tan color the builders painted it, but will be a flat dark mocha or similar color and the carpet will be ripped out and replaced with a dark color.
Now for the issues/questions I have for you guys, approximately 8.25' off the screen wall in the "center" of the ceiling is a fan, this will be removed as the lowest point of the fan (blades) is approximately a 1' drop off the ceiling so that will go to enable the hanging of the PJ. I will use the fans power source and put an outlet in there so no issue powering the PJ, as such it is very easy for me to run a longer HDMI cable up the wall into the drop ceiling cavity to feed the PJ, all of that is easy enough.
Now using BenQ's calculator for my desired 100" screen size I will have the PJ 8 Feet 4 Inches from the screen wall, perfect for the location the fan is being removed from where I will have power, my main question is about the distance the PJ will need to be mounted down from the ceiling, the entire screen wall is open for this purpose, the 3 front speakers are currently wall mounted but can be moved around on the wall as is necessary because I will be painting. I will be either buying a manual drop screen (no need for motorized as this is a dedicated room and the samy plasma will be relocated in the house), or doing a custom painted screen.

So I ask all of you, does that room size jive with a 100" screen? The viewing distance will be almost against the back wall, lets say 170" from the screen wall. Any tips for a first time PJ user???

Thank you guys, sorry for the long winded post!
I have my W1070 setup about 9.5' from my 100" screen. I use a standard universal ceiling mount with no arm extensions so it is a few inches from the ceiling. The actual top of the projector is 5 inches from the ceiling leaving the center of the lens about 6.5 inches from the ceiling. The top of my projected image starts about 10 inches down from the ceiling. My ceilings are 8' high. I am using a little bit of vertical lens shift to get the picture where I needed it to line up on my screen.

Last edited by eric3316; 06-16-2014 at 05:01 AM.
post #9243 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
I have my W1070 setup about 9.5' from my 100" screen. I use a standard universal ceiling mount with no arm extensions so it is a few inches from the ceiling. The actual top of the projector is 5 inches from the ceiling leaving the center of the lens about 6.5 inches from the ceiling. The top of my projected image starts about 10 inches down from the ceiling. My ceilings are 8' high. I am using a little bit of vertical lens shift to get the picture where I needed it to line up on my screen.
So for a 100" screen you have 3.5 inches of offset using the lens shift? How much more of shift is available from that distance? I've hear up to 5 inches total may be available, but nothing definitive. My PJ comes tomorrow and I'm working on the mount/drop tube calculations. The more shift the better for my situation. As it stands now I have to make a bigger screen to get the PJ closer to the ceiling and away from Kinect-ic kids.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #9244 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
Quote:
So for a 100" screen you have 3.5 inches of offset using the lens shift? How much more of shift is available from that distance? I've hear up to 5 inches total may be available, but nothing definitive. My PJ comes tomorrow and I'm working on the mount/drop tube calculations. The more shift the better for my situation. As it stands now I have to make a bigger screen to get the PJ closer to the ceiling and away from Kinect-ic kids.
I am using the lens shift to bring the picture down a little. At center it would be higher. There is a natural offset from the top of the lens to the top of the picture. Not sure how far that is though. You best thing to do is mount the projector, most likely with no extension arms as it will drop it low on an 8.25' ceiling and just make sure the actual lens it centered horizontally with your wall. Then you can see where the picture will project to and it will make it easier to mount your screen from there.

Last edited by eric3316; 06-16-2014 at 07:15 AM.
post #9245 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, think I'm just going to play with it when I get it. What I actually see is what I'll have to work with anyway. My screen is already in place. It's a custom-painted aluminum frame screen that is on hinges one foot in front of a fireplace. It swings up and latches flush to the ceiling when not in use. Because of where the latches are anchored in the joist, I cant change the floor to bottom of screen distance or the latch wouldn't catch when swung up. The only way to move the screen up (and the PJ as well) is by making a bigger one, keeping the bottom the same distance from the floor. Guess if I go from a 96" to 110" screen, I can't complain. After it's done, of course. Thanks, once again.
jetts likes this.

post #9246 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have an Epson PowerLite HomeCinema 1080UB. I am not interested in 3D. Would this Benq be an upgrade or a downgrade. Also, my Epson is about 15 or 16 feet from the screen and my screen is 142 inches diagonal. Will I be able to use the Benq projector from the same location for the same screen size?
post #9247 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, think I'm just going to play with it when I get it. What I actually see is what I'll have to work with anyway. My screen is already in place. It's a custom-painted aluminum frame screen that is on hinges one foot in front of a fireplace. It swings up and latches flush to the ceiling when not in use. Because of where the latches are anchored in the joist, I cant change the floor to bottom of screen distance or the latch wouldn't catch when swung up. The only way to move the screen up (and the PJ as well) is by making a bigger one, keeping the bottom the same distance from the floor. Guess if I go from a 96" to 110" screen, I can't complain. After it's done, of course. Thanks, once again.
If I read correctly, you were mounting the projector 8.4' from the screen. If it is the actual lens that will be exactly 8.4' from the screen, the largest you will be able to project will be 100". Obviously if it less then that from lens to screen you will lose a couple of inches. So going with a bigger screen will only give you more room to play with the picture placement but you will still only be able to project 100" unless you place the projector further back. At 9'2" you can zoom to 110" screen.
post #9248 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just wanted to say been watching the World Cup on this bad boy (thank you Chromecast) and its been a real delight. Best purchase ever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::[color=Blue][b]

Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #9249 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I have an Epson PowerLite HomeCinema 1080UB. I am not interested in 3D. Would this Benq be an upgrade or a downgrade. Also, my Epson is about 15 or 16 feet from the screen and my screen is 142 inches diagonal. Will I be able to use the Benq projector from the same location for the same screen size?
15 feet will give you a range of 138"-180". At 16 feet you will have a range of 147"-192"
post #9250 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
At that screen size the W1070 throw range is 11'11" to 15'6". these measurements are from the lens to the screen surface. It may be close, carefully measure the distance from the screen to the mount. The W1070 lens will generally be about 4 inches closer than the mount, depending on the mount used.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

post #9251 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Alright guys been heavily reading this thread and have some basic questions that are particular to my room that I would like to run by everyone here. As a note this is a dedicated "theater" or movie room. Right now I have a Samsung plasma (50") wall mounted, running a Yamaha rx-v373 on 5.1 audio with a good set of sony speakers, speaker wires, hdmi wires and everything else is run in the walls and terminated with wall plates. I have decided to step up to a W1070 as a budget friendly upgrade to the small 50" TV. This is by no means ment to be a pro level theater, just a great room to watch movies and play some PS4 in. Thank you in advance for the help!

Room dimensions:
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

This a completely dark room, no windows, in a finished basement with a drop ceiling. The ceiling tiles are flat black and I am in the process of painting the rails flat black, the walls are currently the off white/tan color the builders painted it, but will be a flat dark mocha or similar color and the carpet will be ripped out and replaced with a dark color.
Now for the issues/questions I have for you guys, approximately 8.25' off the screen wall in the "center" of the ceiling is a fan, this will be removed as the lowest point of the fan (blades) is approximately a 1' drop off the ceiling so that will go to enable the hanging of the PJ. I will use the fans power source and put an outlet in there so no issue powering the PJ, as such it is very easy for me to run a longer HDMI cable up the wall into the drop ceiling cavity to feed the PJ, all of that is easy enough.
Now using BenQ's calculator for my desired 100" screen size I will have the PJ 8 Feet 4 Inches from the screen wall, perfect for the location the fan is being removed from where I will have power, my main question is about the distance the PJ will need to be mounted down from the ceiling, the entire screen wall is open for this purpose, the 3 front speakers are currently wall mounted but can be moved around on the wall as is necessary because I will be painting. I will be either buying a manual drop screen (no need for motorized as this is a dedicated room and the samy plasma will be relocated in the house), or doing a custom painted screen.

So I ask all of you, does that room size jive with a 100" screen? The viewing distance will be almost against the back wall, lets say 170" from the screen wall. Any tips for a first time PJ user???

I have nearly the same dimensions. I took my ceiling fan down and installed a can light (so I would have light and not interfere with projector. I went with the 120" screen. It is pretty much wall to wall on my 12' wall. I placed my projector back in the next available stud like 11.5' back. It is awsome. The projector must be mounted 3" above the top of the viewing part of the screen. My ceiling projector mount is around 7" drop plus 1/2 the width of the proctor so my screen is aprox 11" down from the ceiling
post #9252 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I also went with a 120" screen. Just ordered the 1070. My room is 13.5 feet from back wall to screen. Also ordered a pair of the 3d corp. 4th gen based on Ryudoadema's post above.
Now all I need is an amp that can pass 3d over hdmi. But I might just go directly from PC to input 2 of the projector and then optical to my sound system.
I'm looking forward to finally seeing 3d from my PC.
post #9253 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Quote:
If I read correctly, you were mounting the projector 8.4' from the screen. If it is the actual lens that will be exactly 8.4' from the screen, the largest you will be able to project will be 100". Obviously if it less then that from lens to screen you will lose a couple of inches. So going with a bigger screen will only give you more room to play with the picture placement but you will still only be able to project 100" unless you place the projector further back. At 9'2" you can zoom to 110" screen.
I think you have my post and another members confused
post #9254 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighvy76 View Post
Quote:

Room dimensions:
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

I have nearly the same dimensions. I took my ceiling fan down and installed a can light (so I would have light and not interfere with projector. I went with the 120" screen. It is pretty much wall to wall on my 12' wall. I placed my projector back in the next available stud like 11.5' back. It is awsome. The projector must be mounted 3" above the top of the viewing part of the screen. My ceiling projector mount is around 7" drop plus 1/2 the width of the proctor so my screen is aprox 11" down from the ceiling
Lucky for me there are already 4 pot lights spaced around the corners of the room, detail I forgot to mention in the original post. Does anyone foresee a problem having the projector mounted approximately halfway between the screen and the seating position? Would it make for an uncomfortable viewing experience?
post #9255 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think you have my post and another members confused
Yes, I definitely mixed up 2 of them. lol
post #9256 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
I also went with a 120" screen. Just ordered the 1070. My room is 13.5 feet from back wall to screen. Also ordered a pair of the 3d corp. 4th gen based on Ryudoadema's post above.
Now all I need is an amp that can pass 3d over hdmi. But I might just go directly from PC to input 2 of the projector and then optical to my sound system.
I'm looking forward to finally seeing 3d from my PC.
Hey Arcadia 88, just wanted to point out a mistake I made on my post above in case it changed your mind and you have time to change your order. I meant the Estars are the most immersive to me. The difference is so small and the 3DTV ones are excellent, too- very comfortable (and my gf's favorite). So I wouldn't fret if you can't change them, or if that was the only reason you went with them. The 3DTV's also work well over other glasses (according to my uncle). Sorry if I led you astray

BenQ W1070 (Previously HD1000u and Epson 8350)
Elite 100" Spectrum Electric 16:9 Screen
Sony STRDH550 Receiver
Polk Blackstone T1900 5.1
PS3/360/Phillips BDP2185
post #9257 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Heh no problem. I loooked at several sets but those 4th gens looked the most interesting. I've yet to actually try any 3d glasses so these will be my first.
post #9258 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Room dimensions:
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

Lucky for me there are already 4 pot lights spaced around the corners of the room, detail I forgot to mention in the original post. Does anyone foresee a problem having the projector mounted approximately halfway between the screen and the seating position? Would it make for an uncomfortable viewing experience?
I wouldn't see why it would be a problem but I know u wouldn't be disappointed going up to a 110 or 120 and moving the projector back a bit. U can still use where the fan was to power everything even if u run the wires along the ceiling from fan location to projector. They sell the recessed outlet boxes
post #9259 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
Heh no problem. I loooked at several sets but those 4th gens looked the most interesting. I've yet to actually try any 3d glasses so these will be my first.
They are a great choice definitely right on par with the Estars, and a little cheaper to boot. The G15's are very nice too, but reserved for backups and guests.

So I watched Pacific Rim 3D as my first foray into home 3D- I was blown away! I kept telling people it was the best movie experience I've ever had. The 3D doesn't make a bad movie good, but combined with surround sound and the large screen that only a projector can produce it increases the immersion exponentially. The W1070 is plenty bright on a 100" screen and probably can go quite a bit bigger, too.

Watched Man of Steel 3D last night. Awesome as well! The plots were a little meh in both, but sometimes I just don't care when the action and visuals are exceptional. So yeah, this was just a post to help you get excited and express how happy I am with this projector...

Sony STRDH550 Receiver
PS3/360/Phillips BDP2185
post #9260 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Room dimensions:
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

I wouldn't see why it would be a problem but I know u wouldn't be disappointed going up to a 110 or 120 and moving the projector back a bit. U can still use where the fan was to power everything even if u run the wires along the ceiling from fan location to projector. They sell the recessed outlet boxes
My main hangup to going larger is the size of the wall in relation to the fact that I want to wall mount my front speakers, so im trying to leave enough room on either side of the screen to place them.
post #9261 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Room dimensions:
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

My main hangup to going larger is the size of the wall in relation to the fact that I want to wall mount my front speakers, so im trying to leave enough room on either side of the screen to place them.
Gotcha. Sorry I got an acoustically transparent screen so my speakers are behind the screen.
post #9262 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Room dimensions:
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

Gotcha. Sorry I got an acoustically transparent screen so my speakers are behind the screen.
Would be perfect but the room is a drop ceiling, so I can mount a screen against the wall into studs, but if I was to use a AT screen it would need to be about 8 inches off the wall, meaning the ceiling would be its mount point which is not really an option with the drop ceiling.
post #9263 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Room dimensions:
Height - 8.25 Feet (99")

Would be perfect but the room is a drop ceiling, so I can mount a screen against the wall into studs, but if I was to use a AT screen it would need to be about 8 inches off the wall, meaning the ceiling would be its mount point which is not really an option with the drop ceiling.
What about adding "legs" to the screen to move it out from the wallthe desired distance. Cutting slight recess in the wall for speaker placement.
post #9264 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just wondering...

Why such HUGE quotes ?!

[]s,
Fernando
post #9265 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Found this cooler mod (in german):
http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-12408-40.html

At your own risk.

[]s,
Fernando
post #9266 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
What about adding "legs" to the screen to move it out from the wallthe desired distance. Cutting slight recess in the wall for speaker placement.
Eh that is an option too but I am not sure I want to recess the speakers into the walls, and with the limited size of the room I would prefer to keep the screen as close to the wall as possible, I might be able to squeeze a 110" or 120".
post #9267 of 10009 Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone seeing lots of rainbows with this projector? I am new to digitals and am coming from a CRT front projector so I am not sure if there is a way to tone those down a bit.

I tried running bluray at 1080p @60 instead of 1080p @24 to see if that would lessen the effect but I still see them like crazy. Is this normal for this projector? Also, anyone have some tips to improve black level other than the usual because this thing lightens up my room during all dark/black scenes. I know it won't be CRT black but this is pretty bright despite running in Eco mode and having an all black room.

Screen could probably use a low gain instead of the 1.3 106" I currently have. I did get this for free and other than the rainbows and black level I love everything about it so far.

Running firmware 1.08 btw.

Thanks,

Jeff

Mediocrity will always appeal to the masses, while excellence is most often over looked and only appreciated by a select few.

Last edited by SirJMon; 06-16-2014 at 10:14 PM.
post #9268 of 10009 Old 06-17-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJMon View Post
Anyone seeing lots of rainbows with this projector? I am new to digitals and am coming from a CRT front projector so I am not sure if there is a way to tone those down a bit.

I tried running bluray at 1080p @60 instead of 1080p @24 to see if that would lessen the effect but I still see them like crazy. Is this normal for this projector? Also, anyone have some tips to improve black level other than the usual because this thing lightens up my room during all dark/black scenes. I know it won't be CRT black but this is pretty bright despite running in Eco mode and having an all black room.

Screen could probably use a low gain instead of the 1.3 106" I currently have. I did get this for free and other than the rainbows and black level I love everything about it so far.

Thanks,
You could mess with the brightness/ contrast and try turning brillintcolor off. The darker the picture, the darker the blacks, as well as lessening rainbows. I have a user setting that I made darker than all the others for when It's just too bright (usually on a 100" screen).

Sony STRDH550 Receiver
PS3/360/Phillips BDP2185
post #9269 of 10009 Old 06-17-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

60hz should heavily reduce the likelihood of seeing them compared to 24hz; but like you, I still do see at that framerate.
The wheel spins even faster at 50hz (actually significantly faster - more detail here) - at which point I see almost none - but few devices allow outputting at 50hz.

Part of the issue with both your black levels as well as rainbows is that you're running very bright with your 106" screen at 1.3 gain. At 106", you could be using below 1.0 comfortably (with 2000 lumens, I'd reserve 1.3 for really large screen sizes - 160" or bigger). A gray screen at that size might make more sense in this regard; and it'd also improve black levels.

The other thing to remember is that the lamp will dim with age: I've found it settles at a significant drop in brightness somewhere between 200 and 300 hours. The result is a bit of an improvement in black levels, and a more comfortably dim image makes rainbows much more difficult to notice.

Failing the above, you could go for an ND filter to drop brightness (once again, good for rainbows as well as black levels).

If all else fails, you might have to look into other technologies: 3LCD projectors are also pretty decent at this price point (Epson 2030 comes to mind). If you want to step up, you could look at the Sony HW40ES which is based on LCOS instead: but it's 3.5 times the price.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9270 of 10009 Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sensitive to them too and was very upset (not that I mentioned to the missus) when i could see them with FW1.2.
Since upgrading to 1.8 mostly they have gone away.
However i notice them far more on contrasting images ie white text, black background. and though they are improved they are still there. I am running 120"+ screen (white wall )
Someone else mentioned some lower HZ actually increase the overall HZ ie (and this is wrong but gives you the idea) 25hz = 6(color wheel spin)x25hz=150hz

Quote:

Thanks,
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page