BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 315 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9421 of 9856 Old 07-01-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received and setup the refurbished unit. It has an October 2013 build date updated to 108 firmware. It is much quieter. It came with a lamp with 12 hours unless it had been reset. All things considered I am satisfied with the swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9422 of 9856 Old 07-01-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tittan View Post
Never thought about mounting the pj to the ceiling,If i do that how long is the pj's power cord? I don't want my room looking tacky with wires hanging from the ceiling.
im thinking about mounting my tv to the wall so if i do get the motorized screen it would just go over it.

The red line is where i would hang the pj screen.

The black bar is where i would hang the pj.
Run the cables thru the ceiling or cut and patch drywall if you cant
post #9423 of 9856 Old 07-01-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIDEx View Post
Run the cables thru the ceiling or cut and patch drywall if you cant
i live in a apartment not a house not sure if i can do that.
post #9424 of 9856 Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Use cable hiders to hide the cable. For the power cable you can order a longer one of Amazon for a few $$$.
tittan likes this.
post #9425 of 9856 Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Run a power cable like this up the wall and if necessary across the ceiling to the projector:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Hide it, along with the HDMI cable, in something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unimax-Pr...i_src=17588969

Also, you'll need a mount, whether you ceiling mount or mount upside down under a shelf. These two are well regarded, though you can also get cheaper options (which are likely to be more fiddly to adjust and more likely to misalign over time).

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGS-.../dp/B000TXNS6G

http://www.thefinalclick.com/Chief-R...k_p_86403.html
eric3316 and tittan like this.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9426 of 9856 Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
Run a power cable like this up the wall and if necessary across the ceiling to the projector:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Hide it, along with the HDMI cable, in something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unimax-Pr...i_src=17588969

Also, you'll need a mount, whether you ceiling mount or mount upside down under a shelf. These two are well regarded, though you can also get cheaper options (which are likely to be more fiddly to adjust and more likely to misalign over time).

http://www.amazon.com/Peerless-PRGS-.../dp/B000TXNS6G

http://www.thefinalclick.com/Chief-R...k_p_86403.html
Wow, my Amazon link got changed to some sort of partner link...I don't really care one way or another, but is that normal on the forum? Gotta pay the bills somehow, I guess...

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9427 of 9856 Old 07-02-2014, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anybody here have experience using the W1070 to project onto an acoustically transparent screen in 1080p?

Specifically I am curious how this projector performs on the Elite Screens Acoustic Pro 1080 or 1080p2 screen material.

I am looking to either buy an AT screen or do a DIY one using the raw woven fabric AT material. Any suggestions that fit this projector particularly well without having the moire effect?
post #9428 of 9856 Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Seems like my remote stopped working today. Changed the batteries and still nothing. The lights on the remote work fine so it has power but the projector is just not reading anything.

Hopefully BenQ will just send me a new remote and the issue is not with the actual projector.
Just to follow up on this, BenQ is sending me a new remote. What I also learned is I was able to program my DirectTV remote to work with the projector. I can pretty much navigate through everything with that remote from powering on and off and using all the menu's. The one thing I cannot do with the DirectTV remote is to activate the blank eco mode when I leave the room. I know there is an option on the actual projector but I do not like touching the projector as you then risk mis-aligning it.

I am happy I at least have a remote to use until the new one comes though.

Last edited by eric3316; 07-02-2014 at 06:39 AM.
post #9429 of 9856 Old 07-02-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Just to follow up on this, BenQ is sending me a new remote. What I also learned is I was able to program my DirectTV remote to work with the projector. I can pretty much navigate through everything with that remote from powering on and off and using all the menu's. The one thing I cannot do with the DirectTV remote is to activate the blank eco mode when I leave the room. I know there is an option on the actual projector but I do not like touching the projector as you then risk mi-aligning it.

I am happy I at least have a remote to use until the new one comes though.

Nice find! The same would apply to any universal remote (or remote that can be used/programmed as a universal remote); like say a Logitech Harmony.

This is also good news in your case since it means that it's just the remote that's defective and not the IR sensors on the projector!
eric3316 likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9430 of 9856 Old 07-02-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Nice find! The same would apply to any universal remote (or remote that can be used/programmed as a universal remote); like say a Logitech Harmony.

This is also good news in your case since it means that it's just the remote that's defective and not the IR sensors on the projector!
Yeah, that was one thing I was unsure of if it was going to be the remote or the actual projector. This made me happy knowing it was just the remote. I am under warranty for the projector but who wants to go through all of that if you don't need to.
post #9431 of 9856 Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that was one thing I was unsure of if it was going to be the remote or the actual projector. This made me happy knowing it was just the remote. I am under warranty for the projector but who wants to go through all of that if you don't need to.

Absolutely. Returns after 4 weeks of ownership will get you a refurb; not ideal if you're otherwise happy with the unit.

So good to know it's just the remote!

Is this an old-style (non-backlit) one? Because if it is, the replacement will be the nice new one...

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #9432 of 9856 Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely. Returns after 4 weeks of ownership will get you a refurb; not ideal if you're otherwise happy with the unit.

So good to know it's just the remote!

Is this an old-style (non-backlit) one? Because if it is, the replacement will be the nice new one...
It is the new style, blacklit remote. My unit was manufactured in March 2014 and everything has been pretty perfect with it so far minus this remote problem.
post #9433 of 9856 Old 07-02-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys look what the BenQ W1070 made me do...

Link Film noir theater
post #9434 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Guys look what the BenQ W1070 made me do...

Link Film noir theater
Nice... projectors have a way of doing that to people

Blacking out reflections from within the room is almost as important as blocking out light from outside it (in terms of the kind of hit contrast ratio takes when the projected image's light bounces back onto the screen). It's one of those things that's not so obvious to most.
I trust you noticed a massive difference in high-contrast scenes when darkening your room's wall/ceiling colors...

post #9435 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have that too maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
What do you mean by chirping noise?

I have cracking noise overtime the PJ start then it goes away,is that going to be a problem in the long run?
I think I have that too if I understand you correctly. Every now and then especially if I have been using it for a long time there will be a loud popping sound but no noticeable cause or effect. Yesterday I used the projector for about 5 hours straight and never heard a thing, but sometimes it will happen twice within a single movie...though I don't think it has ever been more often than that.

Is that what you were talking about? If not, has anyone else experienced this?
post #9436 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I reveived my 1070 and got to play with it a little. I am still waiting on the mount, which won't be here for 3 weeks. I might cancel the order and go with a different mount. I am very impressed, but the black levels were a bit disappointing. I knew that going in though. I owned an Epson 8700UB about 3 years ago, so I was spoiled with the black levels. I do realize this projector is 1/3 the cost of my 8700UB, so that makes the difference in black levels easier to deal with.

I have not noticed any rainbows, neither has my family. But we did not see any with our Infocus IN72, or Planar PD5130 either. Very happy so far. I think we will go with a 120" screen, maybe 112"...not sure as of yet.

I did notice if I have the zoom at the absolute minimum, then I can't get it to focus properly. Is this a common issue?
post #9437 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Nice... projectors have a way of doing that to people

Blacking out reflections from within the room is almost as important as blocking out light from outside it (in terms of the kind of hit contrast ratio takes when the projected image's light bounces back onto the screen). It's one of those things that's not so obvious to most.
I trust you noticed a massive difference in high-contrast scenes when darkening your room's wall/ceiling colors...
Love my Theater ,I don't even feel like going to work sometime.

Everything looks good.

The dark room really helps with contrast...
post #9438 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post
Honestly, I think you're probably better off with a big plasma or lcd display.

Here's my reasoning...

Have you ever made yourself lunch in the kitchen, and then you just want to throw on the TV for like 20 minutes, so you can eat your lunch while watching TV ? Then after that you have to leave and run a few errands ?

Well, turning on a projector, to only use it for a half hour, or an hour, or even two hours is a bad idea. Bulbs are rated at 3,000 hours or 4,000 hours or whatever, because most bulbs have about 1,000 strikes in their lifetime. Each time you turn your projector on, you're striking the bulb. Whether you use the projector for a half hour, or 9 hours, your projector doesn't really care.

If you used a projector to watch a 45 minute episode of Game of Thrones, well, to your bulb, that basically has the same effect as using your projector for 5 hours. But you're kinda wasting your projector if you use it like that.

Most people have a "normal" TV in another room in the house. The projector is more for when you're going to be watching stuff for a long period of time. If you're about to watch a 3 hour movie like the Hobbit, sure, fire up the projector. If you're about to watch two World Cup games back to back, sure, fire up the projector. If you're about to play Playstation 4 games for like 5 hours, sure fire up the projector.

But if you just want to turn on the TV and watch a quick episode of Dr. Oz, why fire up a projector for that ? So, whenever I see people talking about using the projector as their "primary" display, I get a bit nervous, because a lot of projector newbs just don't understand the difference. Plus, projectors also take like 2 minutes to fully warm up. Remember that scenario where you made lunch and you just want to watch TV while you're eating ? Well, for 2 minutes you're going to be staring at a very dim screen, because the projector hasn't fully warmed up yet.
When projectors were $3,500 and replacement bulbs were $500 and only lasted 2,000 hours I would agree with you but that's not the case anymore. The bulb in the W1070 is rated for 6,000 hours and costs around $200 to replace. I don't see how you're saving money by buying a $1500 flatscreen. For what the TV costs you could buy a W1070 +3 or 4 replacement bulbs. You get a much better viewing experience and it's less equipment cluttering up your living room.

If you're really worried about saving money you shouldn't get a projector, just get a $500 flatscreen and be done with it. If you want a better viewing experience get a $730 W1070 and forget about the flatscreen.

I think a lot of it is just conditioning. People aren't used to watching tv on a projector and believe that somehow it must not be practical. I have been using a W1070 as my tv for close to two years now and it's awesome. I'm never going back to tv's. Still on the original bulb and I use it probably 40+ hours a week. The warmup time is not 2 minutes, maybe a minute and that doesn't really bother me.

It's strange you would come into a projector thread and tell someone who wants a movie theater experience he should get an LCD. I don't really understand the reasoning.
bluer101 and fredxr2d2 like this.
post #9439 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Saw this on slick deals today for 729 prime on Amazon.com. Looks pretty decent especially for the price after reading post after post on this thread.

Figured its cheap enough to just buy it. Saw a pull down screen for 150 bucks and a mount for 50

Screen
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...50+inch+screen

mount
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #9440 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Saw this on slick deals today for 729 prime on Amazon.com. Looks pretty decent especially for the price after reading post after post on this thread.

Figured its cheap enough to just buy it. Saw a pull down screen for 150 bucks and a mount for 50

Screen
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-...50+inch+screen

mount
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I bought it when it first came out for $900 and I think it was well worth it. I built a screen for about $50 and bought a cheapo $25 ceiling mount on Amazon. It's changed the way I watch tv and movies, great piece of hardware! If you're thinking about droppng $1,000 on a 60 inch flatscreen and think to yourself "hmm maybe it would be nice to have a 120 inch screen instead" well here you go.
post #9441 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 02:34 PM

I have a 60" on the wall already so I figured get a pull down screen to go in front of this. The tv is for video games and the projector (I decided about five minutes ago) would be good for movies.

Do you think that screen I picked out would work well enough? it doesn't need to be super fancy and what mount did you get?

maybe this mount?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Checked with my family electricion he said running a line up to the celing would be easy enough
post #9442 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I have a 60" on the wall already so I figured get a pull down screen to go in front of this. The tv is for video games and the projector (I decided about five minutes ago) would be good for movies.

Do you think that screen I picked out would work well enough? it doesn't need to be super fancy and what mount did you get?

maybe this mount?

Checked with my family electricion he said running a line up to the celing would be easy enough
Yep! that's the exact mount I have except mine is white. It's clearly cheaply made but it works fine once you get everything set up.

Elite Screens is a very popular brand, I would not have any concerns about going with them and the W1070 should work fine with that screen. My only concern is the screen size, 150" is pretty big. How tall are your ceilings and how big is your room?

BenQ has a screen calculator here For a 150" screen you need a throw distance of at least 12' 6", if your room is less than that it won't work. The other issue is ceiling height. If you have 8' ceilings a 150" screen is almost certainly too big. It will fit on the wall yes, but you'll have issues. For example if you have a coffee table with your beer on it it will block the view. For a normal sized living room with 8' ceilings 120" is probably as big as you can reasonably go. That's what I have and if I put my feet up on the coffee table it still blocks the view and I have the screen as high as it can go. If you have 10' ceilings than 150" should be ok.
lemonslush likes this.
post #9443 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
darbee vision 5000

thinkin of adding darbee darblet to my w1070 with a 106" fixed screen
gain 1.1 matte white and have full light control of room
40% 2d blu ray movies ps3 fat
30% hi def cable (mostly sports)
20% gaming ps4
5% netflix from ps3 fat
5% 3d blu rays from ps3 fat all thru a denon avr 991 (3311)
any input would be appreciated from current and former users of Darbee
thanks in advance

Last edited by theskins44; 07-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #9444 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskins44 View Post
thinkin of adding darbee darblet to my w1070 with a 106" fixed screen
gain 1.1 matte white and have full light control of room
40% 2d blu ray movies ps3 fat
30% hi def cable (mostly sports)
20% gaming ps4
5% netflix from ps3 fat
5% 3d blu rays from ps3 fat all thru a denon avr 991 (3311)
any input would be appreciated from current and former users of Darbee
thanks in advance
I just recently got the Oppo 103d which has the Darbee in it. So far I'm really pleased but not blown away by it. I would not pay the $250-$350 for the Darbee standalone. But with a top of the line bluray player the extra $100 to get the Darbee in it was a no brainer.
theskins44 likes this.
post #9445 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

maybe this mount?

Once you play games on the projector you won't want to play them on your TV anymore. The lag time on the W1070 is great as well. Better then most flat panels today.

As for the screen. I have an Elite manual pull down screen, not the exact one you listed but all these screens do get wavy. Just a heads up. I personally don't care at this point because since the 100" screen cost my $40 after 2 returns and issues with the screens. Amazon gave me a discount on top of an already cheap price they were selling for.

You can notice some lines in light scenes on the screen but it doesn't really bother me anymore. If I paid a few hundred I might have a different feeling about it though. Funny thing is I went to the movie theater the other day and their screen had lines going down the screen that I was able to notice and it pretty much looked like mine. I was kind of surprised to see it on their screen.

I also found out I hate curved screens even at large sizes. I was sitting more towards one side and everything just felt uneven to me because of the curve and where I was sitting. Kind of like you really needed to move over to the center just to feel right.

I am using a $30 mount that came with the projector through B&H Photo and I must say it is working pretty well. My measurements were luckily spot on so everything centers good but if my measurements would have been off a better mount would have probably helped with that.
lemonslush likes this.
post #9446 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mantooth View Post
I reveived my 1070 and got to play with it a little. I am still waiting on the mount, which won't be here for 3 weeks. I might cancel the order and go with a different mount. I am very impressed, but the black levels were a bit disappointing. I knew that going in though. I owned an Epson 8700UB about 3 years ago, so I was spoiled with the black levels. I do realize this projector is 1/3 the cost of my 8700UB, so that makes the difference in black levels easier to deal with.

I have not noticed any rainbows, neither has my family. But we did not see any with our Infocus IN72, or Planar PD5130 either. Very happy so far. I think we will go with a 120" screen, maybe 112"...not sure as of yet.

I did notice if I have the zoom at the absolute minimum, then I can't get it to focus properly. Is this a common issue?
Yes black levels are nothing to write home about but the BenQ is a great example that a picture can still look really good without having great black levels. I am still impressed how good it looks.

I also realized after seeing How to Train Your Dragon 2 in the theater, which is the first time I have been to to movies since owning my projector, that the movie theaters black levels are not much better. I am more then happy with the W1070 and the only time I will need to look for another projector is when 4K projectors become affordable, maybe that will be when my bulb needs to be replaced.
post #9447 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Excellent reply.

My rooms about 20 feet long from where the screen is to the back wall. I dont' have high ceilings in that room and the wall I was planning on putting the projector is somewhat limited. Unless I swapped the room around I don't know if I could fit the 120. I need to take a quick measurement. I want to order it before it goes up in price, I am out of town at the moment and the person I have house sitting for me said they would take a quick measurement.
post #9448 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Once you play games on the projector you won't want to play them on your TV anymore. The lag time on the W1070 is great as well. Better then most flat panels today.

As for the screen. I have an Elite manual pull down screen, not the exact one you listed but all these screens do get wavy. Just a heads up. I personally don't care at this point because since the 100" screen cost my $40 after 2 returns and issues with the screens. Amazon gave me a discount on top of an already cheap price they were selling for.

You can notice some lines in light scenes on the screen but it doesn't really bother me anymore. If I paid a few hundred I might have a different feeling about it though. Funny thing is I went to the movie theater the other day and their screen had lines going down the screen that I was able to notice and it pretty much looked like mine. I was kind of surprised to see it on their screen.

I also found out I hate curved screens even at large sizes. I was sitting more towards one side and everything just felt uneven to me because of the curve and where I was sitting. Kind of like you really needed to move over to the center just to feel right.

I am using a $30 mount that came with the projector through B&H Photo and I must say it is working pretty well. My measurements were luckily spot on so everything centers good but if my measurements would have been off a better mount would have probably helped with that.
I'm with you, I only game on my PJ. I love every minute of it too.
post #9449 of 9856 Old 07-03-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I'm with you, I only game on my PJ. I love every minute of it too.
I can't wait for Mario Kart 8 four player competition on this thing...ha ha.
post #9450 of 9856 Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mantooth View Post
I can't wait for Mario Kart 8 four player competition on this thing...ha ha.
Used to play all those many years ago but since the release of Xbox 360 it's been all the cod series.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page