BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9451 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Used to play all those many years ago but since the release of Xbox 360 it's been all the cod series.
I play all of my FPS games on a PC with a 30" IPS monitor, I actually prefer that. But for all the family time games, the projector is the best. The motion controllers of the Wii U and a 120" screen makes the competition that much more intense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPSU79 View Post
Yep! that's the exact mount I have except mine is white. It's clearly cheaply made but it works fine once you get everything set up.

Elite Screens is a very popular brand, I would not have any concerns about going with them and the W1070 should work fine with that screen. My only concern is the screen size, 150" is pretty big. How tall are your ceilings and how big is your room?

BenQ has a screen calculator here For a 150" screen you need a throw distance of at least 12' 6", if your room is less than that it won't work. The other issue is ceiling height. If you have 8' ceilings a 150" screen is almost certainly too big. It will fit on the wall yes, but you'll have issues. For example if you have a coffee table with your beer on it it will block the view. For a normal sized living room with 8' ceilings 120" is probably as big as you can reasonably go. That's what I have and if I put my feet up on the coffee table it still blocks the view and I have the screen as high as it can go. If you have 10' ceilings than 150" should be ok.

I had my friend do some measuring for me and the wall I want to put the screen on sucks. We are remodeling the room at the moment and that wall is painted black. To the left of the tv there will be shelves installed to hold all my new AV gear and a few subs set around the room.

Biggest I think I could do is a pull down 100' and that would stick out almost 12 inches on each side and I would have 3 inches assuming I mounted it right on the ceiling with a inch or so hanger (to avoid the air vent) from the top of my speakers. I had this old pic and did a mock up what the screen would look like.

post #9453 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I had my friend do some measuring for me and the wall I want to put the screen on sucks. We are remodeling the room at the moment and that wall is painted black. To the left of the tv there will be shelves installed to hold all my new AV gear and a few subs set around the room.

Biggest I think I could do is a pull down 100' and that would stick out almost 12 inches on each side and I would have 3 inches assuming I mounted it right on the ceiling with a inch or so hanger (to avoid the air vent) from the top of my speakers. I had this old pic and did a mock up what the screen would look like.

That's a really terrible location for a screen. I don't think you can mount a screen 3" from the ceiling either. Even if you manage to do it the projector isn't really designed to work that close to the ceiling, meaning you'll end up with keystoning.

I see two possibilities; One would be to find a better location for the screen. A big, wide wall which can handle a 120" screen would be ideal. If you really have nowhere else to put it you could ceiling mount a 100-120" screen in front of the speakers. It looks that would sort of block off your entrance so it's probably not ideal, but it might bet better than trying to cram a 100" screen over the speakers.
post #9454 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've owned a W1070 for about a year and half, and LOVE this projector. I've had issues with fan noise, but had them repaired by benq and been pretty happy overall.
I currently have a projector with a March 2013 build date. I'm hearing the faint chirping of the crickets already (about 550 hours on the bulb) and am concerned the noise will get worse.
My question: is it worth selling and replacing with a more modern build (this projector is past warranty)... Has anyone got any insight as to whether the more recent builds have resolved the chirping and fan faults? Good idea or silly?
I can sell it here in NZ, and import a new one from states at virtually no cost, even with stating the concerns when I sell it.
post #9455 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Have any former Sanyo Z2 owners upgraded to a W1070 who would be willing to compare (and more importantly) contrast the level of improvements?

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9456 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Forgive this question, I'm having a hard time understanding how much vertical lens shift there is. If ceiling mounted, does the lens shift allow you to move the top of the image above the centerline of the lens, or is it an offset design that you can make MORE offset with the adjustment?

post #9457 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Amazon has this unit in sale right now.
68mustang likes this.
post #9458 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
Forgive this question, I'm having a hard time understanding how much vertical lens shift there is. If ceiling mounted, does the lens shift allow you to move the top of the image above the centerline of the lens, or is it an offset design that you can make MORE offset with the adjustment?
From what I have read, you can move it up about 3 inches, or down 3 inches.
post #9459 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
Amazon has this unit in sale right now.
Awesome! $699.99 is an amazing price. I just got a refund of $32 from the price drop. Is this the lowest price it has ever been new?
post #9460 of 10012 Old 07-04-2014, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I bought it. $699 on amazon. A little disappointed the lens shift is only +\- 3" maybe I should have gotten the quieter optima.

Either way the last projector i owned was a Sanyo z2 so I expect to be blown away.

post #9461 of 10012 Old 07-05-2014, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
Forgive this, but I'm having a hard time understanding your question. If the projector is ceiling mounted, and you moved the image above the lens much, the image would fall onto the ceiling, right? Projector is offset, lens shift lets you go a little above and below that. Just go to the Benq calculator to visualize this with real measurements.
post #9462 of 10012 Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzchurbro View Post
I've owned a W1070 for about a year and half, and LOVE this projector. I've had issues with fan noise, but had them repaired by benq and been pretty happy overall.
I currently have a projector with a March 2013 build date. I'm hearing the faint chirping of the crickets already (about 550 hours on the bulb) and am concerned the noise will get worse.
My question: is it worth selling and replacing with a more modern build (this projector is past warranty)... Has anyone got any insight as to whether the more recent builds have resolved the chirping and fan faults? Good idea or silly?
I can sell it here in NZ, and import a new one from states at virtually no cost, even with stating the concerns when I sell it.
I have a 2014 model with firmware 1.08 and over 650hrs on it. I only use economic mode, as the brightness levels are too much in smart eco mode and I don't really hear the fan at all in economic mode. However in smart eco mode, the fan does ramp up and makes a noticeable whirl noise in the room but not a chirping noise.

post #9463 of 10012 Old 07-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is this projector generally considered the best under $1000 still?

Any others that can contend with it?

PSN Username -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steam Username -
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
post #9464 of 10012 Old 07-05-2014, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Was the fan repaired under warranty? If not how much did they charge? Mine has developed the "cricket" noise and I'm not happy about it. I'm wishing at this point I would have kept my new unit and not sent it in for repair. The refurb unit they sent me has a dust blob near the center and now has a noisy fan. Not the end of the world but frustrating none the less.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #9465 of 10012 Old 07-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post
Was the fan repaired under warranty? If not how much did they charge? Mine has developed the "cricket" noise and I'm not happy about it. I'm wishing at this point I would have kept my new unit and not sent it in for repair. The refurb unit they sent me has a dust blob near the center and now has a noisy fan. Not the end of the world but frustrating none the less.
If it's under warranty it won't cost you anything, if it's not I am unsure of cost sorry. The fan noise and "cricket" sounds are very well known issues, and so should be adressed easily. I am hoping the newer builds of this projector have sorted out all these issues
post #9466 of 10012 Old 07-05-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
If it's under warranty it won't cost you anything, if it's not I am unsure of cost sorry. The fan noise and "cricket" sounds are very well known issues, and so should be adressed easily. I am hoping the newer builds of this projector have sorted out all these issues
I sent mine in when it was in it's last month of warranty, this past March. So I would guess I'm on my own.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #9467 of 10012 Old 07-06-2014, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Is this projector generally considered the best under $1000 still?

Any others that can contend with it?
This and the optoma 131x.
post #9468 of 10012 Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Wife said I can flip the room around. Bought the projector. Need to repaint the room a bit. Looks like my rear sorround speakers will become front highs now. I am still on the fence if I want to mount my tv on the wall and have the pull down screen in front of it. Or just put the screen on the wall.
post #9469 of 10012 Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
This and the optoma 131x.
Which would be better for projecting a larger 120"+ image?

PSN Username -

XBOX LIVE Gamertag -
Steam Username -
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
post #9470 of 10012 Old 07-06-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Which would be better for projecting a larger 120"+ image?
Depends in how big the space is.
BenQ has a shorter throw range so if you're limited in space get that.
Go to projector central and check out the calculator. It will give you all the info you need.
post #9471 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Late last night I decided to flip my room around. We just finished painting the walls (3 sides grey one side dark grey) and about 11:30PM (and many many shots ) myself, my wife and two friends painted the back (now front wall) dark grey to put the the projector. I think I want a fixed screen since I don't think I will be putting the TV back on the wall.
I ordered 250 feet of cable, my wall terminals, 40 feet of HDMI, the projector and a mount. Now I just need a screen, wiring to add a plug for the ceiling and I should be good. I also need to finish building the shelves for my av equiptment and my subs to arrive
sooly1 likes this.
post #9472 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Yup got board, read reviews and just decided to go with the fixed elite screen. Figured if there's an issue I can return it to amazon no problem and it will be here Wednesday. I hope to have some picks up by end of week
post #9473 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Yup got board, read reviews and just decided to go with the fixed elite screen. Figured if there's an issue I can return it to amazon no problem and it will be here Wednesday. I hope to have some picks up by end of week
Looking forward to the photos. The theater bug got you good.
post #9474 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Yup. Just got off the phone with my Dad. Hes going to swing by on Friday to help me install the power box for the projector in ceiling. Need to get a set of black out curtains as well.

I hope I can measure out my projector placement tonight and get all that take care of. The benQ site says for 120" screen I have it 10' from the wall but this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm says 11.5 feet. I assume both measurements are from the lense to the wall. What do you guys recommend?
http://imgur.com/E9Ki738
post #9475 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Why don't you build your own screen,save a lot of money.

Link to my BUILD
post #9476 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Why don't you build your own screen,save a lot of money.
Yea, I though about it. I have enough projects on my hands at the moment. I have to get my room finished with all speakers and projector working withing 15 days. I am picking up a new receiver today and only have 15 days to return it if I don't like it. Its a Pioneer sc -71 so I am on the fence, it sounded great in the store. My last pioneer 1522k was broken out of the box. I might need to return it and go for the Denon. Otherwise if I wasn't time constrained I probably would have made one.
post #9477 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yup. Just got off the phone with my Dad. Hes going to swing by on Friday to help me install the power box for the projector in ceiling. Need to get a set of black out curtains as well.

I hope I can measure out my projector placement tonight and get all that take care of. The benQ site says for 120" screen I have it 10' from the wall but this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm says 11.5 feet. I assume both measurements are from the lense to the wall. What do you guys recommend?
http://imgur.com/E9Ki738
Both calculators are saying the same thing. At maximum zoom, you can place this project as close as 10' from your screen. There is a slider on both sites for the zoom of the projector. For a 120" screen the projector should be between 10' and 13' 1" from the screen, and that's measured from the lens. If you have the room, I would recommend something in the middle to give yourself some flexibility for set-up. If you try to use one extreme or the other you will need to be very precise with your measurements during your setup or the image may not fit nicely on your screen. Its better to place the projector in the middle of the range and use the zoom to dial in the image to to fill the screen. Also note that the projector central calculator color codes the "image diagonal" and "throw distance" sliders to provides some feedback on image brightness based on the screen gain number you input. You should consider that as well when you are choosing where to place the projector.
lemonslush likes this.
post #9478 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea, I though about it. I have enough projects on my hands at the moment. I have to get my room finished with all speakers and projector working withing 15 days. I am picking up a new receiver today and only have 15 days to return it if I don't like it. Its a Pioneer sc -71 so I am on the fence, it sounded great in the store. My last pioneer 1522k was broken out of the box. I might need to return it and go for the Denon. Otherwise if I wasn't time constrained I probably would have made one.
I have the Pioneer VSX-70 and i am please with,but i had more money to spend on AVR i would have bought the Denon X4000

Link to my BUILD
post #9479 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknod View Post
Both calculators are saying the same thing. At maximum zoom, you can place this project as close as 10' from your screen. There is a slider on both sites for the zoom of the projector. For a 120" screen the projector should be between 10' and 13' 1" from the screen, and that's measured from the lens. If you have the room, I would recommend something in the middle to give yourself some flexibility for set-up. If you try to use one extreme or the other you will need to be very precise with your measurements during your setup or the image may not fit nicely on your screen. Its better to place the projector in the middle of the range and use the zoom to dial in the image to to fill the screen. Also note that the projector central calculator color codes the "image diagonal" and "throw distance" sliders to provides some feedback on image brightness based on the screen gain number you input. You should consider that as well when you are choosing where to place the projector.

OH interesting, didnt know what that meant. So looks like 11' 4" is the middle and I would be in the "green". That would give me an option to play with the zoom if needed.
post #9480 of 10012 Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM

I'm really close to buying either the Optoma HD131Xe or this projector.

I'll use it for blu-rays, and HDTV obviously, but also for gaming with the PS3, PS4, 360, X1 and a gaming PC.

Which of the two has better response time? Is better for large screen gaming?

PSN Username -

XBOX LIVE Gamertag -
Steam Username -
Origin ID - Kenshiro26
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page