BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 317 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9481 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The optoma- hands down

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9482 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
I have the Pioneer VSX-70 and i am please with,but i had more money to spend on AVR i would have bought the Denon X4000
To be honest the big reason I was going to get it was the price $500 on clearance at best buy. Otherwise I would get the x2000, I had a hard time really telling the difference between the sounds. The pioneer did sound slightly clearer to my ears. But I only heard it in stereo, most people say with audyssey it will make a big difference.
post #9483 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 104
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
I'm really close to buying either the Optoma HD131Xe or this projector.

I'll use it for blu-rays, and HDTV obviously, but also for gaming with the PS3, PS4, 360, X1 and a gaming PC.

Which of the two has better response time? Is better for large screen gaming?

The Optoma has been slated repeatedly for poor color reproduction along with higher incidence of rainbow effect due to their choice of color wheel in this model.

The W1070 will be brighter calibrated, less prone to rainbows, more color-accurate and offers lens shift which may assist with your mounting. Its input lag is around the same as the Optoma at around 20ms: so both are very suitable for gaming.

But the W1070 will do a better job with your regular video viewing.

Do a comparison at a proper reviews site. Start here:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/opto...pros-and-cons/

Also note the author compares the two projectors in the comments section, saying:

Quote:
I can't believe I didn't mention the RBE, because I am rainbow sensitive, and was definitely bothered by them far, far more (on the Optoma) than the W1070, or the W1500 that I'm finishing up right now. Well, I usually say at least once in every review, that first time buyers almost always say whatever projector they bought far exceeded expectations. That said, for those who expect to get "the bug" for hard core home theater, I'd have to recommend the W1070. -art
Kenshiro 26 likes this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9484 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I'll use it for blu-rays, and HDTV obviously, but also for gaming with the PS3, PS4, 360, X1 and a gaming PC.

The Optoma has about a half-frame faster response time, the Benq has a faster RGBRGB color wheel so it'll show less rainbows, which tend to pop up in games more than movies. It's hard to say which is better for gaming since people's reaction to those two issues tend to vary wildly.
Kenshiro 26 likes this.
post #9485 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I looked very closely at input lag numbers before I bought the W1070 myself

The Optoma is the quicker of the two with about 16-17 ms input lag http://www.projectorreviews.com/pc_g...put-lag-times/
The BenQ is about 24 ms.

In my opinion, both of these times are very acceptable.

I can't offer a which is better opinion,. Ive never seen the Optoma.
I regularly game on-line (Ghosts, Titanfall, etc) on a W1070 with no lag issues. Running PS3, 360, and X1 with no issues.

There's a thread comparing these two projectors that you may have looked though already BenQ W1070 vs Optoma HD131xe for first projector

There's some useful info, if you wade through the usual noise.
Kenshiro 26 likes this.
post #9486 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 PM

Stupid question

This is a pretty stupid question I guess especially since I have had my projector about 2 months...but my projector shows 3D is turned off. As of right now everything I watch is 2D but I plan to order some 3D glasses tonight and watch some stuff in 3D and some in 2D.

Do I need to turn 3D on/off every time I switch between 2D and 3D content or is it OK to just leave 3D turned on all the time?
post #9487 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
This is a pretty stupid question I guess especially since I have had my projector about 2 months...but my projector shows 3D is turned off. As of right now everything I watch is 2D but I plan to order some 3D glasses tonight and watch some stuff in 3D and some in 2D.

Do I need to turn 3D on/off every time I switch between 2D and 3D content or is it OK to just leave 3D turned on all the time?

You won't want to leave 3D 'on' all the time...

3D comes in two flavors. One of these is split-screen (ie, side-by-side 3D or top-and-bottom 3D; in which the image is split with half the image going to one eye; and half to the other.) This applies most often to 3D MKV video files and, in this case, will require you to switch 3D on and off manually. You can't leave it in 3D mode here since it'll halve the image.

The other flavor is how it's done on Blurays (and consoles such as the Playstation); called Frame-Packing. In this case, a 3D Bluray or 3D game will automatically flick the projector into 3D mode for you. When you're done, it'll switch 3D mode off for you automatically.

So in short: side-by-side or top-and-bottom 3D will need to be turned on and off manually; whilst Frame-Packed 3D will handle it automatically.
Tommy Mang and fredxr2d2 like this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9488 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've been waffling on whether I should get a projector or not and what model for some time now. My latest interest is the Benq W1070. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any help...

1: Is there a recommended wall mount for this projector? I would like to find something that is flexible so that I can adjust it in order to help with lining the projector up with the screen. Something I can move in all directions.

2: When looking at throw distance calculators, what do the colors on the sliders mean? I was at first thinking of table mounting this projector, which would be approximately 8.5' away from the screen, but the slider is red at this distance. I'd like to mount a 110" screen, but it looks like at this distance I'd be limited to 90" if I remember correctly.

I am brand new to the projector world and this unit sounds like a lot of bang for the buck and the perfect price point to allow me to jump in and test the waters.
post #9489 of 9642 Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post
I've been waffling on whether I should get a projector or not and what model for some time now. My latest interest is the Benq W1070. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any help...

1: Is there a recommended wall mount for this projector? I would like to find something that is flexible so that I can adjust it in order to help with lining the projector up with the screen. Something I can move in all directions.

2: When looking at throw distance calculators, what do the colors on the sliders mean? I was at first thinking of table mounting this projector, which would be approximately 8.5' away from the screen, but the slider is red at this distance. I'd like to mount a 110" screen, but it looks like at this distance I'd be limited to 90" if I remember correctly.

I am brand new to the projector world and this unit sounds like a lot of bang for the buck and the perfect price point to allow me to jump in and test the waters.
I've never heard of a wall mount, though my impression is there are some. Most of us use ceiling mounts, the Peerless PRG and Chief RSM are popular here and both a bit more than a hundred bucks. The Peerless lacks yaw, the Chief includes it. But lots of folks use cheaper mounts and find them adequate.

Not sure what you're referring to with the colors of the sliders. The calculators I've seen give you ranges. In general, farther from the screen is better, though the full range is acceptable.

Benq W1070 projector
Da-Lite High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver
Focal 700-series towers and center
JMLab Tantal-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9490 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:

If you are referring to the Projector Central calculator, that's indicating the brightness of the image based on the screen gain (type in your own value) and the distance from the projector to the screen. Grab that throw distance slider and move it around and you'll see some numbers changing. One of thise numbers is the image brightness and another one is the max room lighting. If you're over in the red, its telling you the image will be very bright and that setup would be suitable for rooms with ambient light.
post #9491 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi, all. Sticking my head in because I'm considering a projector set-up for a modest living room. (Only 20' long, probably 10' from couch to where a projection screen would be.) Been reading positive stuff about the 1070, but I have some questions about placement. I'm just not willing/able to use a ceiling mount: wires too cluttered, and too intrusive. My options are really:

- Extremely short-throw projector that sits on the TV stand near the wall: I might get 18" of clearance. I'm guessing if the 1070 throws anything at all, it'll be very small.

- End table placement in one corner of the room, which would be about 4 or 5 feet off from the center of the screen. I can't wall mount directly in front of it because the screen would be facing opposite a window.

- Coffee table placement. How high does the 1070 need to be off the ground in order to throw?

- I don't think this has wireless HDMI, which would cut down on the wires. I'm not adverse to running them, but is there such a thing as a wireless HDMI dongle or something I could use on the unit to cut the cords?

Thanks for any info.
post #9492 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo12 View Post
Hi, all. Sticking my head in because I'm considering a projector set-up for a modest living room. (Only 20' long, probably 10' from couch to where a projection screen would be.) Been reading positive stuff about the 1070, but I have some questions about placement. I'm just not willing/able to use a ceiling mount: wires too cluttered, and too intrusive. My options are really:

- Extremely short-throw projector that sits on the TV stand near the wall: I might get 18" of clearance. I'm guessing if the 1070 throws anything at all, it'll be very small.

- End table placement in one corner of the room, which would be about 4 or 5 feet off from the center of the screen. I can't wall mount directly in front of it because the screen would be facing opposite a window.

- Coffee table placement. How high does the 1070 need to be off the ground in order to throw?

- I don't think this has wireless HDMI, which would cut down on the wires. I'm not adverse to running them, but is there such a thing as a wireless HDMI dongle or something I could use on the unit to cut the cords?

Thanks for any info.
The projector must be on center. It should be 2" to 4" below the bottom of the screen. All measurements to lens center. To achieve a 100" diagonal, the lens must be between 8'4" and 10'11" from the screen.

If none of that works for you, then you will need to use a different projector.

If you own the home, why not ceiling mount it?

As for wires - they don't offer wireless 120 volt power either, so you when you run the power cable, run a HDMI cable along with it. Wireless 1080p video is a crapshoot in terms of quality and reliability.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9493 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the education guys. That helps to clear things up and points me in the right direction.
post #9494 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 11:13 AM

The Benq W1070 refurb unit just dropped $50 to $627 if anyone is interested...

http://shop.benq.us/benq-outlet/refu...projector.html
post #9495 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks for any info.
There's only one projector that allows basically no throw range at all, and it's crap. If that's your requirement, a projector isn't for you.

Some projectors will allow horizontal lens shift or digital correction, but if you have to be that far off center, a projector isn't for you.

Coffee table is viable, projector can be even with or a bit below bottom of screen.

There are wireless HDMI capabilities, but iffy. And you have to run a power cord anyway, no such thing as wireless power (yet!).

Benq W1070 projector
Denon X2000 receiver
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9496 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One man's opinion... but I'd warn anybody away from this projector. The build quality is not ready for prime time.

Bought one six months ago and returned it once it started getting finicky with HDMI inputs. About a day after I mounted it.
post #9497 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish View Post
One man's opinion... but I'd warn anybody away from this projector. The build quality is not ready for prime time.

Bought one six months ago and returned it once it started getting finicky with HDMI inputs. About a day after I mounted it.
Is your assessment really based on one datapoint?

There've been some complaints about issues like dust blobs and chirping fans and color wheels on here, but I don't have a good sense of how the defect level compares to the competition.

Benq W1070 projector
Denon X2000 receiver
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9498 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
Is your assessment really based on one datapoint?

There've been some complaints about issues like dust blobs and chirping fans and color wheels on here, but I don't have a good sense of how the defect level compares to the competition.
The overall consensus on this forum and from reviews is quite the opposite of what he posted. All electronics will have a small percentage of defective units from the factory. All you do is have them swap it out under warranty...no biggie.
Tommy Mang likes this.
post #9499 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish View Post

How has service been? How did they treat you? How did it look and work up to the point of failure?

Electronics generally has about a 2% or so failure rate, so it's not at all surprising that people run into issues, but what is important is how you are treated when these issues arise and if there is any marked increase in issues related to a specific product.

The flip side of this would be like me saying that I bought this projector less than a month after it was released and it has been going strong for me since I installed it well over a year ago.

It just doesn't matter that I've had good luck or that you've had bad luck. What matters is what the guy coming from these forums who may end up with one has in terms of luck.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9500 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
The Benq W1070 refurb unit just dropped $50 to $627 if anyone is interested...

http://shop.benq.us/benq-outlet/refu...projector.html
Hell no...

Only $70 different.
post #9501 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
There's only one projector that allows basically no throw range at all, and it's crap. If that's your requirement, a projector isn't for you.

Some projectors will allow horizontal lens shift or digital correction, but if you have to be that far off center, a projector isn't for you.

Coffee table is viable, projector can be even with or a bit below bottom of screen.

There are wireless HDMI capabilities, but iffy. And you have to run a power cord anyway, no such thing as wireless power (yet!).
Thanks! (Ditto other responses.) I think a coffee table placement is viable, and an excuse to replace my 12-year-old one with some kind of shelving unit for the projector.

Next issue: a screen. Don't think I have the room width to even consider 2.35:1, and I don't think the 1070 has an anamorphic lens, so I'd opt for 16:9. My only real issue is that I'm planning on mounting an LCD with in-chassis speakers for regular TV viewing, so when the screen is pulled down over it, the speakers will be behind the display. Is this viable, or does it depend on the screen?
post #9502 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks! (Ditto other responses.) I think a coffee table placement is viable, and an excuse to replace my 12-year-old one with some kind of shelving unit for the projector.

Next issue: a screen. Don't think I have the room width to even consider 2.35:1, and I don't think the 1070 has an anamorphic lens, so I'd opt for 16:9. My only real issue is that I'm planning on mounting an LCD with in-chassis speakers for regular TV viewing, so when the screen is pulled down over it, the speakers will be behind the display. Is this viable, or does it depend on the screen?
Calculators will let you play with placement options, but coffee table/shelving is viable.

So you're planning on using the TV speakers while watching the projector? Is that viable, i.e. can you have the TV screen off and the speakers simultaneously on? Built-in TV speakers are notoriously bad, for not a lot of money you could put together a far more satisfying speaker/sub combo. But answering your question, you'd need an acoustically transparent screen, generally more expensive, modest trade-off in image fidelity. If you want a non-wavy pull-down screen, you'll need a tab-tensioned one, also more expensive.
Renzo12 likes this.

Benq W1070 projector
Denon X2000 receiver
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9503 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Hell no...

Only $70 different.
Sure only $70 but that's 10% less.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9504 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
How has service been? How did they treat you? How did it look and work up to the point of failure?

Electronics generally has about a 2% or so failure rate, so it's not at all surprising that people run into issues, but what is important is how you are treated when these issues arise and if there is any marked increase in issues related to a specific product.

The flip side of this would be like me saying that I bought this projector less than a month after it was released and it has been going strong for me since I installed it well over a year ago.

It just doesn't matter that I've had good luck or that you've had bad luck. What matters is what the guy coming from these forums who may end up with one has in terms of luck.
My experience with their service was okay but I wouldn't give it an A rating. I developed a chirping sound after six or seven weeks and my only option was a refurbished unit or ship it out for a firmware update and live without my projector for two weeks. The refurbished unit is fine but the remote supplied with it died. They are sending a replacement. The bottom line is I now have a projector stamped refurbished on the bottom and it cost me $48.00 shipping.
post #9505 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne picard View Post
My experience with their service was okay but I wouldn't give it an A rating. I developed a chirping sound after six or seven weeks and my only option was a refurbished unit or ship it out for a firmware update and live without my projector for two weeks. The refurbished unit is fine but the remote supplied with it died. They are sending a replacement. The bottom line is I now have a projector stamped refurbished on the bottom and it cost me $48.00 shipping.
Forgive my ignorance, but why should you have to ship it out for a firmware update?
post #9506 of 9642 Old 07-08-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but why should you have to ship it out for a firmware update?
They said it would void the warranty unless an approved tech did it and the nearest location was 1000 miles away.
post #9507 of 9642 Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, just looking for some input here - I am moving to a new place soon and will have to downsize my screen. I am looking to get a screen that'll last me for a long time so I have been looking at the top end Elunevision fixed frame screens.

Currently I'm running a 120" 1.0 gain white screen in a horribly light controlled room. My new place, it'll go in a basement. It has blackout blinds and is a medium-dark gray color on the walls. I will probably paint the ceiling black to help with reflections somewhat but I am not going to repaint, or upholster my walls in black fabric, or anything like that.

I was still wondering though, this projector has light to spare. My new screen will be maybe only 100", maybe 104" so as I understand it, the projector will appear even brighter. Could I not go with a 0.8 gain gray screen? This should improve my black levels, while still being easily bright enough to have a great "pop" like it has right now.

The calculator on ProjectorCentral shows it will still have about 25fL on the 104" screen at 0.8 gain, whereas I am at about 22fL right now on the 120" screen with 1.0 gain. So it still sounds like I will have to reduce the brightness somehow as I occasionally find the screen uncomfortable to look at.

I watch 98% of everything in 2D and am not concerned with 3D performance.

Last edited by temps; 07-10-2014 at 10:27 AM.
post #9508 of 9642 Old 07-10-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

With that screen size, you could go with the grey screen and I expect you will be very happy. The screen will do very little to improve performance in that room, so all the screen is doing is helping to reduce the peak whites a bit. This could also be done with a ND filter, and (of course) running the projector in low-lamp mode, which you should be doing anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of grey screens, and IMO, your room sounds like it could benefit from a much better projector since you have a more dedicated space. Not sure I wouldn't be looking at a minimal gain screen (1.2-1.4) and a ND filter for now, then going to a better projector down the line which may not be as bright, but can benefit from the good environment.

post #9509 of 9642 Old 07-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
With that screen size, you could go with the grey screen and I expect you will be very happy. The screen will do very little to improve performance in that room, so all the screen is doing is helping to reduce the peak whites a bit. This could also be done with a ND filter, and (of course) running the projector in low-lamp mode, which you should be doing anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of grey screens, and IMO, your room sounds like it could benefit from a much better projector since you have a more dedicated space. Not sure I wouldn't be looking at a minimal gain screen (1.2-1.4) and a ND filter for now, then going to a better projector down the line which may not be as bright, but can benefit from the good environment.
As much as I'd like to upgrade the projector it is just not feasible with my budget right now since I am picking up a Hsu vhf15 and a new receiver as well. Personally I am not sure where I'll see the benefits of a new projector.... the only real room for improvement I can see is with black levels, and I have a Panasonic plasma if that is a prime concern. I find only certain games really need the deeper blacks.

Should I just go with a 1.0 gain white screen and a filter to reduce brightness in the ahort term then? If I am grabbing a thkusand plus dollar screen I should get the one with the best future growth potential
post #9510 of 9642 Old 07-10-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I would do. You can always decrease brightness with a ND filter, but you can't increase brightness without putting a projector into high power mode, and then increasing brightness, etc. As the lamp ages and dims, you can pull off the ND filter and still get all that brightness back. But, with a grey screen, you can't.

The black levels of the JVC are significantly better than the BenQ, but I'm thinking far more long term on this.

I have no idea how EluneVision stacks up against Carada. But, if you've read solid reviews, then by all means, go with them.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page