BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 318 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9511 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So have people come to a conclusion regarding whether it's better to use economic vs smart eco mode. I swear someone ran some tests between the two, but I can't find the thread. I know smart ecos brightness changes based on the scene, but which will provide better bulb life over time? Any sort of conclusions made? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
What is wrong with the W1080ST? It is the short range version of the W1070.
He wanted to project from a maximum of 18 inches throw range! Try that with a W1080.
post #9513 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
So have people come to a conclusion regarding whether it's better to use economic vs smart eco mode. I swear someone ran some tests between the two, but I can't find the thread. I know smart ecos brightness changes based on the scene, but which will provide better bulb life over time? Any sort of conclusions made? Thanks!
My impression is most of us use Eco to avoid the fluctuating brightness and because Smart Eco is too bright on bright scenes. But curious if others concur.
post #9514 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 302
What projector were you thinking of for the ultra-short throw? I believe Runco may have a version, no idea how good the optics are on it, but it's pricey, and I wouldn't use it.

I use ECO mode. It is still bright enough for my 161" screen.

I detest fluctuating brightness, and I don't use dynamic iris features for the same reason. I typically notice when things aren't consistent when I'm viewing and it bugs me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9515 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
What projector were you thinking of for the ultra-short throw? I believe Runco may have a version, no idea how good the optics are on it, but it's pricey, and I wouldn't use it.

I use ECO mode. It is still bright enough for my 161" screen.

I detest fluctuating brightness, and I don't use dynamic iris features for the same reason. I typically notice when things aren't consistent when I'm viewing and it bugs me.
One of the major consumer electronic companies (Phillips?) has a projector that can sit on a piece of furniture like a low shelf and project onto the wall immediately behind it, which is what the original poster hoped to do. But it's not cheap and the image quality is terrible.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9516 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I believe the Hecto Laser projector is ultra short throw. Maybe worth a google.

post #9517 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I think Sony has a laser projector which is 4K and likely runs $40,000+... Likely great quality.

The Runco is probably a good deal cheaper and is ultra-short throw and likely looks halfway decent. But, all short-throw and ultra-short throw gives up a bit of image quality, and care must be taken to use a very flat screen surface with excellent diffusion to get an even image.

Apparently not much cheaper...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Runc...le_LS-100d.htm

Ridiculous.

Oh, and it can only do about a 100" diagonal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9518 of 10058 Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I think Sony has a laser projector which is 4K and likely runs $40,000+... Likely great quality.

The Runco is probably a good deal cheaper and is ultra-short throw and likely looks halfway decent. But, all short-throw and ultra-short throw gives up a bit of image quality, and care must be taken to use a very flat screen surface with excellent diffusion to get an even image.

Apparently not much cheaper...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Runc...le_LS-100d.htm

Ridiculous.

Oh, and it can only do about a 100" diagonal.

I have one. It can do an image much larger than 100" diagonal if you want it to. The numbers Runco posts are for up against the wall. Place it back just a couple inches more and you go MUCH larger. There are three modes where you can boost image brightness dramatically. They are "Brilliant Color"-like modes, though you don't see the huge color shifts normally associated with BC on cheaper projectors. Also, contrast performance is FAR higher than any sub $5000 DLP projector. Contrast performance is class leading and about as good as it gets in the DLP world. The unit uses the .95" DarkChip 4 DMD. PQ is as good as the Runco Q750i I had previously. You may laugh at the price, but it's performance compared to other ultra short throw projectors is orders of magnitude better and competes with "regular" throw single chip DLP projectors costing $10,000+ and I think I'm qualified to make that statement seeing how I've owned almost all of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-12-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #9519 of 10058 Old 07-13-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this projector couple of days ago. I spent hours and finally came up with a decent DIY 104" screen. I am really happy with the projector.

The information I got from here really helped with my setup.
I have one issue which I am unable to resolve. I have my Windows 8 PC with nVidia GT620 connected to my Denon 3808CI receiver on the 2nd display (HDMI) and the receiver output is connected to the PJ.
No matter what I do, the PC wouldn't detect the 2nd display Denon/PJ. I had a LG TV connected earlier and had no issues with that.

Am I doing something wrong? How do you guys have your PC display connected to the PJ? Do I need to connect the PC output directly to the projector for the PC to detect the HDMI display?

I would really appreciate any help. I really want to be able to play movies via the PC+Denon3808CI+PJ setup.
Thanks in advance!
post #9520 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by manikandan View Post
I got this projector couple of days ago. I spent hours and finally came up with a decent DIY 104" screen. I am really happy with the projector.

I have one issue which I am unable to resolve. I have my Windows 8 PC with nVidia GT620 connected to my Denon 3808CI receiver on the 2nd display (HDMI) and the receiver output is connected to the PJ.
No matter what I do, the PC wouldn't detect the 2nd display Denon/PJ. I had a LG TV connected earlier and had no issues with that.

Am I doing something wrong? How do you guys have your PC display connected to the PJ? Do I need to connect the PC output directly to the projector for the PC to detect the HDMI display?

I would really appreciate any help. I really want to be able to play movies via the PC+Denon3808CI+PJ setup.
Thanks in advance!
I would try that first to see if the AVR is the issue.
post #9521 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Still need to finish cleaning up the wires in my av shelves, ordered shorter cables for the projector in the ceiling and the subs are not in place so I have a empty 18" box, my currently 15" sub and the other 18" box is hiding in the corner.
Overall I was blown away with the clarity of the projector especially for 699 bucks. I havent watched a full movie on it yet, played some video games for a few minutes and both looked fantastic. Pictures are not very great, the rooms super dark with two black walls and two grey walls and I was to lazy to take out the nikon. I did all the work myself (aside from a few minutes of help from a friend picking up the screen and pulling the wires that I fished out for me) in under a week. I bought the projector on a Sunday and finished the room on a a friday. Painted walls and trim, removed existing tv and mount, built shelving, stained them, installed them. Moved my 4 block speaker terminal up, installed another 5 block terminal, and two HDMI wall plugs, ran all the wires for 5 speakers on the other side of the room (f,r,c,2 subs), moved and remounted my front high's, setup and installed the screen, built a bracket in the attic to hold the projector on and mounted that. Manged to get it relatively center on the screen and the correct distance (11'.4'') away. Installed the wiring for the power box in the ceiling and had my dad do the actual wiring ( not afraid to run the wires, didn't feel comfortable doing the splicing into an existing line). Tried to setup my speakers, still on the fence about the pioneer sc-71. I have to turn it up to -0 to get what I would consider normal listening volume. It might be going back soon. Once my subs arive and are in place I will probably build a stand for the center channel to match. The ikea coffee table works for now but I am not in love with it.

post #9522 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
My setup is PC->AVR->HDMI Splitter->Projector.No issues with the PC detecting the projector. I am running Windows 7 on theHTPC though.
post #9523 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I would try that first to see if the AVR is the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb99p View Post
My setup is PC->AVR->HDMI Splitter->Projector.No issues with the PC detecting the projector. I am running Windows 7 on theHTPC though.
I tried connecting the PC directly to the AVR and still no signal.
It works fine with my LG TV connected to AVR.

Wonder why PC is not detecting Denon AVR/PJ as a display..
post #9524 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 134
Quote:
I tried connecting the PC directly to the AVR and still no signal.
It works fine with my LG TV connected to AVR.

Wonder why PC is not detecting Denon AVR/PJ as a display..
The Denon has been known to have HDMI handshake issues in the past ... I'm not liking the sound of this. Try running the cable directly from the PC to the PJ ...
post #9525 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
The Denon has been known to have HDMI handshake issues in the past ... I'm not liking the sound of this. Try running the cable directly from the PC to the PJ ...
That's what I am going to try next. I need a longer cable or move the PC near the projector to test it. I will try it sometime today and update/
Thank you!
post #9526 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
@lemonslush

I think you CR/Enter Key on your Keyboard is broken

Greetings Auric
post #9527 of 10058 Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
One of the major consumer electronic companies (Phillips?) has a projector that can sit on a piece of furniture like a low shelf and project onto the wall immediately behind it, which is what the original poster hoped to do. But it's not cheap and the image quality is terrible.
The company you are thinking of is Sony and it can throw a 151" image from less than 18" from the wall but last I checked it had like a $45,000.00 usd price tag lol...

post #9528 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
That's what I am going to try next. I need a longer cable or move the PC near the projector to test it. I will try it sometime today and update/
Thank you!
I'm connected to win 7 HTPC w/AMD 7870 > Yamaha AVR > 3 or 6 foot hdmi > Darbee Darblet > 20 -foot HDMI > HDMI signal booster > 10-foot HDMI > W1070

How long is the HDMI run? You'll want to rule out both the hdmi signal from a long run and the AVR.

I would try HDMI direct from PC to W1070 at different lengths first. Then depending on the results, add the AVR back into the mix. You might need a HDMI signal booster. You could also try the other input on the BenQ.

Last edited by JonnyVee; 07-15-2014 at 05:05 AM.
post #9529 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Still need to finish cleaning up the wires in my av shelves, ordered shorter cables for the projector in the ceiling and the subs are not in place so I have a empty 18" box, my currently 15" sub and the other 18" box is hiding in the corner.
Overall I was blown away with the clarity of the projector especially for 699 bucks. I havent watched a full movie on it yet, played some video games for a few minutes and both looked fantastic. Pictures are not very great, the rooms super dark with two black walls and two grey walls and I was to lazy to take out the nikon. I did all the work myself (aside from a few minutes of help from a friend picking up the screen and pulling the wires that I fished out for me) in under a week. I bought the projector on a Sunday and finished the room on a a friday. Painted walls and trim, removed existing tv and mount, built shelving, stained them, installed them. Moved my 4 block speaker terminal up, installed another 5 block terminal, and two HDMI wall plugs, ran all the wires for 5 speakers on the other side of the room (f,r,c,2 subs), moved and remounted my front high's, setup and installed the screen, built a bracket in the attic to hold the projector on and mounted that. Manged to get it relatively center on the screen and the correct distance (11'.4'') away. Installed the wiring for the power box in the ceiling and had my dad do the actual wiring ( not afraid to run the wires, didn't feel comfortable doing the splicing into an existing line). Tried to setup my speakers, still on the fence about the pioneer sc-71. I have to turn it up to -0 to get what I would consider normal listening volume. It might be going back soon. Once my subs arive and are in place I will probably build a stand for the center channel to match. The ikea coffee table works for now but I am not in love with it.

Is that a Marty Cube?

I think my next project is 2 Marty's with the iNuke since SI is taking orders. I got my Oppo 103d and still happy with my Infinity speakers (90's reference speakers).
post #9530 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Is that a Marty Cube?

I think my next project is 2 Marty's with the iNuke since SI is taking orders. I got my Oppo 103d and still happy with my Infinity speakers (90's reference speakers).
Yea I still have not received my subs for the Martycubes, the inuke3000dsp is running my 15" ported sub at the moment. The fan on that inuke is damn loud about 60db's half across my room. I will be swapping the fan out tonight.
post #9531 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 05:21 AM

well, i ordered this guy from newegg friday, it arrived yesterday, a temporary setup projecting a 100" screen on a killz primered wall and the picture is amazing, using the built in speaker (i do not have the audio equipment setup) was okay for a built in...

couple things and i've seen this pop up in the thread.

newegg ships the projector in the benq manufacture box, i wasn't happy about that but it was undamaged.

the cd that i received with the manual appears to be blank...

the box says firmware 1.07 but has 1.08 installed.

lamp hours were 0

i put about 5 on it.

i tested a piece of blackout cloth (the smooth side) and it looked just like the primered wall. not sure what i will do for a screen yet, but it will be diy.
post #9532 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
I'm connected to win 7 HTPC w/AMD 7870 > Yamaha AVR > 3 or 6 foot hdmi > Darbee Darblet > 20 -foot HDMI > HDMI signal booster > 10-foot HDMI > W1070

How long is the HDMI run? You'll want to rule out both the hdmi signal from a long run and the AVR.

I would try HDMI direct from PC to W1070 at different lengths first. Then depending on the results, add the AVR back into the mix. You might need a HDMI signal booster. You could also try the other input on the BenQ.
The cable to between AVR and W1070 is 25ft and I have no issues feeding signal to the PJ via AVR.

The PC to AVR is on a 10ft cable. It works fine when I connect the PC directly to the AVR even with longer cables. I have to find a way to run a separate audio cable PC > AVR if my PC won't detect AVR. I can't figure out what the issue is.
post #9533 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
The cable to between AVR and W1070 is 25ft and I have no issues feeding signal to the PJ via AVR.

The PC to AVR is on a 10ft cable. It works fine when I connect the PC directly to the AVR even with longer cables. I have to find a way to run a separate audio cable PC > AVR if my PC won't detect AVR. I can't figure out what the issue is.
You may want to start asking questions in the owners thread for your Denon. Seems like there were some very helpful sources for Denon (batpig and jdsmoothie) over there. May be a setting on the Denon.

The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #9534 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchrisz View Post
well, i ordered this guy from newegg friday, it arrived yesterday, a temporary setup projecting a 100" screen on a killz primered wall and the picture is amazing, using the built in speaker (i do not have the audio equipment setup) was okay for a built in...

couple things and i've seen this pop up in the thread.

newegg ships the projector in the benq manufacture box, i wasn't happy about that but it was undamaged.

lamp hours were 0

i put about 5 on it.

i tested a piece of blackout cloth (the smooth side) and it looked just like the primered wall. not sure what i will do for a screen yet, but it will be diy.
Yep, my first unit was shipped from Best Buy in factory box. Then I shipped it back to Benq in the same box. They shipped me out a brand new unit from then in retail box.

I never checked the CD as the full manual is online.

What is the manufacture date, they might have upgraded before shipping out. Was everything sealed and the box flaps still tight?
post #9535 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post

Hi Jon, planning to buy Darbee to pair with my 1070? hows the improvement and is it a MUST BUY? and have u tried Splash Pro, if yes, do they equally produce same PQ with Darbee or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9536 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchrisz View Post

lamp hours were 0

i put about 5 on it.

The 'revision' specified on the box is actually the hardware revision - 01-107 is the latest build of the actual hardware; which includes things like the new backlit remote, improved HDMI ports, etc.
There's no indication of the firmware version on the box itself.

So, other than the dodgy CD, it sounds like you got a brand new, up-to-date package. Nice.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9537 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post
You may want to start asking questions in the owners thread for your Denon. Seems like there were some very helpful sources for Denon (batpig and jdsmoothie) over there. May be a setting on the Denon.

The "Official" Denon AVR-3808CI Thread
Right. My issue has nothing to do with the PJ. Thanks for the help guys!
post #9538 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Yep, my first unit was shipped from Best Buy in factory box. Then I shipped it back to Benq in the same box. They shipped me out a brand new unit from then in retail box.

I never checked the CD as the full manual is online.

What is the manufacture date, they might have upgraded before shipping out. Was everything sealed and the box flaps still tight?
yes, everything was sealed tight, it does have the back lit remote
post #9539 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I'm having a preset issue. It's fine when feeding regular 1080p content (60hz/24hz) and recalls the preset I've dialed in, but when it receives a 3d frame packing source, it recalls to the standard 3d preset and not to the preset that I've dialed in. I have to manually change the preset everytime I watch a 3d movie. I have firmware 1.08 installed.

Anyone else have this problem?
post #9540 of 10058 Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bachelor View Post
I'm having a preset issue. It's fine when feeding regular 1080p content (60hz/24hz) and recalls the preset I've dialed in, but when it receives a 3d frame packing source, it recalls to the standard 3d preset and not to the preset that I've dialed in. I have to manually change the preset everytime I watch a 3d movie. I have firmware 1.08 installed.

Anyone else have this problem?

Same here.

I've just done my calibration on the default 3D preset, which is what gets selected by default when entering 3D Framepacked mode. I keep the other available (User) preset (which I've lowered the gamma on) for daytime viewing.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page