BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 319 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9541 of 10647 Old 07-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I wanted to make sure I was not missing something on the w1070. Turning on eco mode, I went into setup and selected ecosmart. Anything else I need to do? pushing the eco button on the remote seemed to not do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 10647 Old 07-15-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I wanted to make sure I was not missing something on the w1070. Turning on eco mode, I went into setup and selected ecosmart. Anything else I need to do? pushing the eco button on the remote seemed to not do anything.
Eco blank button makes the screen go black if you are going away from the screen for a few minutes.

Smart Eco is great for 3D but I find the active dimming on 2D to annoying. I run mine in 2D in just Eco. Plenty bright and low fan noise.
post #9543 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
Hi Jon, planning to buy Darbee to pair with my 1070? hows the improvement and is it a MUST BUY? and have u tried Splash Pro, if yes, do they equally produce same PQ with Darbee or not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Darbee as a MUST buy is a tough one to answer. I love what it does. To me, it gives the image more depth and detail. I call it artificial 4K.

But my wife doesn't see a difference. And if you check out the Darbee thread, you get the odd buyer that has the same reaction.

At the end of the day, the improvement is exactly what the Darbee website shows. Whether or not it's worth the added expense will vary person to person.

Splash Pro - didn't like it. I'm using XBMC with mpc-hd (as an external player), madvr, and sometimes, SVP.
post #9544 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Darbee with a projector is as close to a must buy as there is IMO. I added one to my 1070 a few months ago and love it. You don't really notice it improves the picture until you turn it off, and then you're like, oh wow...

post #9545 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyVee View Post
Darbee as a MUST buy is a tough one to answer. I love what it does. To me, it gives the image more depth and detail. I call it artificial 4K.

But my wife doesn't see a difference. And if you check out the Darbee thread, you get the odd buyer that has the same reaction.

At the end of the day, the improvement is exactly what the Darbee website shows. Whether or not it's worth the added expense will vary person to person.

Splash Pro - didn't like it. I'm using XBMC with mpc-hd (as an external player), madvr, and sometimes, SVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post
Darbee with a projector is as close to a must buy as there is IMO. I added one to my 1070 a few months ago and love it. You don't really notice it improves the picture until you turn it off, and then you're like, oh wow...

thanks guys. im using NMT + mkv files and im wondering which route , OPPO 103D or stand alone Darbee?

post #9546 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
This is a good example of how our eyes and brains adjust to what we are seeing. If it is something you get used to quickly, and no longer notice the benefit, is the cost justified? It becomes personal at that point. Non-enthusiasts vs. those that want to see. This stuff is supposed to make us happy.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #9547 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
thanks guys. im using NMT + mkv files and im wondering which route , OPPO 103D or stand alone Darbee?

If you don't already have a good blu-ray player, I would say go with the Oppo 103D. You can run other sources, like a cable or satellite box, through it and the processing can clean up the source. If you already have a 103, then look into used ones that are in the classifieds.
post #9548 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
If you don't already have a good blu-ray player, I would say go with the Oppo 103D. You can run other sources, like a cable or satellite box, through it and the processing can clean up the source. If you already have a 103, then look into used ones that are in the classifieds.
Can't agree more. The 103D is a great player that will last a long time.
post #9549 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If your AV Receiver has QDEO

Is it neccessary to buy DARBEE?

I have been thinking of buy one,but the is no good video reviews out there to justify a $300 purchase.
post #9550 of 10647 Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
If your AV Receiver has QDEO

Is it neccessary to buy DARBEE?

I have been thinking of buy one,but the is no good video reviews out there to justify a $300 purchase.
I have the darbee with my PJ and I love it. To me...it really makes a difference. When I turn it off the picture doesn't look the same...not bad. The darbee just enhances the picture.
post #9551 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 02:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post
I have the darbee with my PJ and I love it. To me...it really makes a difference. When I turn it off the picture doesn't look the same...not bad. The darbee just enhances the picture.
agreed, my darbee unit to me is like night and day, currently mine is set at 60% but it just makes the picture so striking and stunning.

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #9552 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I like the Darbee in my Oppo. The only thing is you really need to adjust it on the fly for what you are watching. I normally leave it on around 40. But some movies I go up to 60 and some down to 20. Some films that have grain really look worse with it turned up.
post #9553 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
So what exactly is darbee?
post #9554 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
one doubt, because ive bought one 1070 in amazon.de but still didnt receive it. ive had a mits hc5500 (super sharpness!!) and some epson tw3500 (2 of this) and tw6000, bad convergence, bad sharpness...is the benq simmilar in sharpness, with the mits??
post #9555 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighvy76 View Post
So what exactly is darbee?
http://darbeevision.com

Most of us have bought the Oppo 103d bluray player. The d in the model stands for Darbee.
post #9556 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
i think Darbee plus PJ (1070) is a match in heaven, so il need one. . hopefully a xmas gift to myself

post #9557 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
http://darbeevision.com

Most of us have bought the Oppo 103d bluray player. The d in the model stands for Darbee.
I run everything thru my ps3 and it looks good . Would a stand alone bluray be any better? How about 3d
post #9558 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
I run everything thru my ps3 and it looks good . Would a stand alone bluray be any better? How about 3d
Blu-ray content is already 1080p. There are those who say that Darbee enhances the image, but this is a discussion and process that can run through the existing thread about the Darbee products.

I would expect that most people have NOT bought a Darbee, or the $500+ Oppo Blu-ray players, but are using our PS3's, and cheaper BD players and other sources to play back our content. The argument for how much the Darbee products enhance an image is certainly open for debate. It is also your choice to make. When it comes to the projector itself, you should focus on getting the best settings you can for that projector, then worry about external enhancements later on. I would personally think that if you want to spend $500+ to get a better image, then perhaps getting a projector which has far better black levels and ensuring your room is as good as it possibly can be would be as good, or better, of a way to enhance the image.

I really enjoy my W1070, but it will be interesting to compare it to the Sony HW40ES when that projector arrives in a couple of weeks.

What do you feel you are missing from 3D or Blu-ray which would require enhancements? I find that 3D when using the Estar glasses is excellent. My Sainsonic glasses are good, but definitely allow some red-flash to show through. So, make sure you use good 3D glasses with 3D content.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9559 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
FYI for anyone who cares. I got my $50 difference filing for price protection. Cant believe i made out 699.00 w/ free projector mount. shipped. no tax

Loving this projector

Flickr ::[color=Blue][b][Blog]
Xbox Live and PSN: Lockeskidney
post #9560 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 54
Quote:
I've read from several people that the PS3 doesn't deliver 3D as aggressive as some standalone players, especially in pop-out, however, I've never tested this myself.

post #9561 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
I've read from several people that the PS3 doesn't deliver 3D as aggressive as some standalone players, especially in pop-out, however, I've never tested this myself.
What blu ray players compare more favorably for 3D?
post #9562 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 04:22 PM

I recently bought this during the $700 sale on Amazon, and have had it for almost two weeks. It was manufactured in March and is on the latest firmware. Today, while watching The Hobbit in 3D (so the lamp was on normal mode), the fan started making a grinding sound, and it's been doing it off and on ever since, even on eco. Naturally I'm getting a replacement with Amazon, but it's a bit of a shame since it sounded like the fan problem was mostly taken care of. Hopefully I got one of the rare lemons still remaining out there and the next one will fix the issue, as other than that it's been amazing.
post #9563 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
Today, while watching The Hobbit in 3D (so the lamp was on normal mode), the fan started making a grinding sound, and it's been doing it off and on ever since, even on eco. Naturally I'm getting a replacement with Amazon, but it's a bit of a shame since it sounded like the fan problem was mostly taken care of. Hopefully I got one of the rare lemons still remaining out there and the next one will fix the issue, as other than that it's been amazing.

Sorry to hear that, sethsez. Indeed this once-common problem barely gets reported on new (non-refurbished) models anymore (despite what appear to be better sales-figures than ever - judging by Amazon's top-10); so hopefully you're right and it is, indeed rare nowadays.

One thing that happened to me on my old unit (which did fan-rattle); was at one point, the white plastic lamp cover came a bit loose and started vibrating, making a louder noise than usual. I re-seated it (while the projector was running - I didn't need to open anything) and then tightened the screw on the side and it was back to being quieter immediately. Double check that's not the situation you're facing.
But yeah, Amazon will do an exchange to a brand new unit and you should be sorted in either case.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9564 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 05:19 PM

ive received today my w1070 and i have one problem, making the test pattern it seems my old epsons, the panel has bad convergence, i have 2 pixel lines of dark blue (one in each side of the white) and also some green! is this usual in this pj (my former mitsubishi hc5500 was perfect, just white pixel lines but the epsons were awfull!) or i have one with very bad convergence problems and i need to exchange it for another one?
ps i just see rainbows with the test pattern, until now....

Last edited by shiseido; 07-17-2014 at 05:54 PM.
post #9565 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Sorry to hear that, sethsez. Indeed this once-common problem barely gets reported on new (non-refurbished) models anymore (despite what appear to be better sales-figures than ever - judging by Amazon's top-10); so hopefully you're right and it is, indeed rare nowadays.

One thing that happened to me on my old unit (which did fan-rattle); was at one point, the white plastic lamp cover came a bit loose and started vibrating, making a louder noise than usual. I re-seated it (while the projector was running - I didn't need to open anything) and then tightened the screw on the side and it was back to being quieter immediately. Double check that's not the situation you're facing.
But yeah, Amazon will do an exchange to a brand new unit and you should be sorted in either case.
Thanks for the advice.

Normally I like DIY solutions to issues like this, but as long as I can take advantage of Amazon cross-shipping a brand new unit I might as well take advantage of it. Given that it's been less than two weeks, I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one (I've waited on returning items in the past with an "I can live with this" attitude only to regret it later). The replacement is arriving tomorrow, and I imagine it'll work just fine.
post #9566 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ugh short power cords lol. So ready for my screen to get in so I can really see what this thing can do.
post #9567 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I would expect that most people have NOT bought a Darbee, or the $500+ Oppo Blu-ray players, but are using our PS3's, and cheaper BD players and other sources to play back our content. The argument for how much the Darbee products enhance an image is certainly open for debate. It is also your choice to make. When it comes to the projector itself, you should focus on getting the best settings you can for that projector, then worry about external enhancements later on.
I have the same thinking, probably that's the reason I still haven't used any Oppo or Darbee so far. And I'm always using HTPC. The PC can have many tweaks but often times it can get overcooked and become worse... So now I'm just use stock settings.

Now I'm thinking this way, the room and environment is fixed, and will be difficult or costly to change. I don't mind the $600 cost of a 103D. Improving room is a lot more expensive and time consuming. What if I keep it as it (meaning a white lounge room), can I expect great image quality (color or sharpness wise) improvement from stock HTPC video card to 103D? I wish I could retire that PC but there is no sign that Oppo will one day support rmvb, and I watch a lot rmvb contents.
post #9568 of 10647 Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post
I have the same thinking, probably that's the reason I still haven't used any Oppo or Darbee so far. And I'm always using HTPC. The PC can have many tweaks but often times it can get overcooked and become worse... So now I'm just use stock settings.

Now I'm thinking this way, the room and environment is fixed, and will be difficult or costly to change. I don't mind the $600 cost of a 103D. Improving room is a lot more expensive and time consuming. What if I keep it as it (meaning a white lounge room), can I expect great image quality (color or sharpness wise) improvement from stock HTPC video card to 103D? I wish I could retire that PC but there is no sign that Oppo will one day support rmvb, and I watch a lot rmvb contents.

I was the same way for a long while, till my $100 sony to a crap. I decided that since the Darbee would benefit the PJ and I needed a new blu ray for me it was a win win. I have to say that I'm really happy with the Oppo in build and overall quality. You can see a small noticeable difference. The other nice thing is feeding my cable through the Oppo. Also with dual HDMIout I'm feeding the PJ direct out of hdmi 1 and sound out of hdmi 2. I have an older Denon avr and now I can take advantage of the LPCM for master audio now. Before it would work but the avr cannot pass 3D so I never used the hdmi audio, just optical.

So for me there were many positives. Also it's nice knowing I can have the best picture possible with or without Darbee on.
post #9569 of 10647 Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido View Post
ive received today my w1070 and i have one problem, making the test pattern it seems my old epsons, the panel has bad convergence (geometry??), i have 2 pixel lines of dark blue (one in each side of the white) and also some green! is this usual in this pj (my former mitsubishi hc5500 was perfect, just white pixel lines but the epsons were awfull!) or i have one with very bad convergence problems and i need to exchange it for another one?
ps i just see rainbows with the test pattern, until now....
can anyone help me to know if this is normal in this benq or i have a defective one??

Last edited by shiseido; 07-18-2014 at 05:47 AM.
post #9570 of 10647 Old 07-18-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Have a quick question. Yesterday for trial purposes I decided after always playing 360 set on 1080p to change to 720p. Is it me or does it look better and perform better? Could anyone comment in this. Should I keep it at 720 or go back to 1080?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com