BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 320 - AVS Forum
First ... 318  319  320 321  322  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
mike mcdaniel's Avatar mike mcdaniel 10:25 AM 07-18-2014
Cant believe I missed the deal Newegg had..... Dang

chmorgan's Avatar chmorgan 11:25 AM 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mcdaniel View Post
Cant believe I missed the deal Newegg had..... Dang
I probably don't want to know, but what was the deal?
Kenshiro 26's Avatar Kenshiro 26 11:30 AM 07-18-2014
Does this projector go on sale regularly at Newegg, Amazon?

I saw last week it was $700, but this week it's back up to $800.
chmorgan's Avatar chmorgan 05:17 PM 07-18-2014
A couple of weeks ago, it was $699 on Amazon. I missed out on that one as well.
sethsez 05:30 PM 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Normally I like DIY solutions to issues like this, but as long as I can take advantage of Amazon cross-shipping a brand new unit I might as well take advantage of it. Given that it's been less than two weeks, I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one (I've waited on returning items in the past with an "I can live with this" attitude only to regret it later). The replacement is arriving tomorrow, and I imagine it'll work just fine.
Just following up on this, I got the replacement unit, aaaaand... loud, grinding fan almost immediately accompanied by the lamp failing to strike. Far, FAR worse than my first one.

Needless to say, I've got a third replacement coming. I don't know if they're getting beaten up in shipping or what, but I'm having the worst luck right now. It's sad because I love this projector otherwise, and I bought it due to reports that issues like these were mostly resolved. I'm sure it's working fine for most people, it's just frustrating to get two lemons in a row. Hoping the third time's the charm here!
Scott Mantooth's Avatar Scott Mantooth 06:14 PM 07-18-2014
Just finished running my 35' HDMI cable, only to have the connector break on me after running it through conduit along the side of the room. All of that work for nothing...ha ha. I guess I should have known better than using a 7 year old cable. I had to order a new HDMI cable through Amazon and I did the one day shipping to get it here by tomorrow. Got to love Amazon for that.
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 07:29 PM 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro 26 View Post
Does this projector go on sale regularly at Newegg, Amazon?

I saw last week it was $700, but this week it's back up to $800.
Here is the best deal currently, $689. Never bought from this company but supposedly they are legit.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaf...Q&promoid=1286
TaranScorp's Avatar TaranScorp 07:48 PM 07-18-2014
What is the farthest away can the BenQ W1070 be from a 120" screen and still maintain a high quality image?

Thanks
niccolo's Avatar niccolo 10:14 PM 07-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranScorp View Post
What is the farthest away can the BenQ W1070 be from a 120" screen and still maintain a high quality image?

Thanks
While brightness decreases with distance, contrast increases, and theoretically so do lens-dependent attributes (though this projector doesn't focus quite as well at maximum distance). So the short answer is anywhere you can project an image will be high quality.
agent8's Avatar agent8 12:01 AM 07-19-2014
I just started researching projectors and I swear, this thing seems like the holy grail of projectors! Lol. If i mount it above my couch on a standard height ceiling, will I hear the fan? I know the bulbs have some crazy high hour rating but can someone tell me how long they last in real world scenarios? Coming from a 65 inch viera plasma, am I going to want to punch the picture quality in the mouth sitting 11 feet away at 100 inches in a dark room? Thanks for any answers!
TaranScorp's Avatar TaranScorp 06:10 AM 07-19-2014
Thanks niccolo,
One more question that is important to me.
I had my 37" LCD Vizio stolen so I did some research and bought a 51" Samsung plasma.
I then decided I wanted a bigger screen and Samsung has a 64" plasma that I can't afford and someone on this forum suggested
a Projector for bigger screen size and I have been reading on projectors for days now and want one with a 120" screen,
sure beats a 64 Here's the rub, I have been collecting DVD movies for six years now and almost have 2000 movies which I'm not going to get rid of. I calibrated mt Vizio LCD and I thought my DVD's looked really good and then on the plasma they looked even better.
I output the DVD's from a Tioshiba upconverting DVD player at 1920 x1080 24p to my Samsung plasma which has a option which is "cinema smooth" which I leave on and my picture looks fantastic and smooth motion Some people think I'm playing HD movies they look so good. My question is with the projector am I going to be able to obtain the same results with my dvd's on a 120" screen?
Nicktx27's Avatar Nicktx27 06:59 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranScorp View Post
Thanks niccolo,
One more question that is important to me.
I had my 37" LCD Vizio stolen so I did some research and bought a 51" Samsung plasma.
I then decided I wanted a bigger screen and Samsung has a 64" plasma that I can't afford and someone on this forum suggested
a Projector for bigger screen size and I have been reading on projectors for days now and want one with a 120" screen,
sure beats a 64 Here's the rub, I have been collecting DVD movies for six years now and almost have 2000 movies which I'm not going to get rid of. I calibrated mt Vizio LCD and I thought my DVD's looked really good and then on the plasma they looked even better.
I output the DVD's from a Tioshiba upconverting DVD player at 1920 x1080 24p to my Samsung plasma which has a option which is "cinema smooth" which I leave on and my picture looks fantastic and smooth motion Some people think I'm playing HD movies they look so good. My question is with the projector am I going to be able to obtain the same results with my dvd's on a 120" screen?
DVDs will look good, blu-ray better.
CheYC's Avatar CheYC 07:30 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
I just started researching projectors and I swear, this thing seems like the holy grail of projectors! Lol. If i mount it above my couch on a standard height ceiling, will I hear the fan? I know the bulbs have some crazy high hour rating but can someone tell me how long they last in real world scenarios? Coming from a 65 inch viera plasma, am I going to want to punch the picture quality in the mouth sitting 11 feet away at 100 inches in a dark room? Thanks for any answers!
I have mine mounted right above my head at the MLP, and at the volumes I listen at, typically between -20 and -15, I hardly ever notice it unless it's during a really quiet scene, 95% of the time I never notice the fan noise, and I exclusively use Smart Eco mode. Mine's been going strong at about 750 hours right now, I think some people on here have claimed up to 3000 hours or so. I'm not familiar with the viera line of plasmas, but coming from my Panny plasma I definitely noticed a decrease in black level, outside of that though, the picture quality if phenomenal. I sit about 10 feet from a 110" and absolutely love it.
bluer101's Avatar bluer101 08:34 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post
I have mine mounted right above my head at the MLP, and at the volumes I listen at, typically between -20 and -15, I hardly ever notice it unless it's during a really quiet scene, 95% of the time I never notice the fan noise, and I exclusively use Smart Eco mode. Mine's been going strong at about 750 hours right now, I think some people on here have claimed up to 3000 hours or so. I'm not familiar with the viera line of plasmas, but coming from my Panny plasma I definitely noticed a decrease in black level, outside of that though, the picture quality if phenomenal. I sit about 10 feet from a 110" and absolutely love it.
I'm the same as you. I can only hear the fan a low dialog scenes. We keep it on Eco unless it's 3d then it's set for smart Eco which helps for dimness.

We sit 9 feet from screen and the projector is right around 10-11 feet.
shiseido's Avatar shiseido 09:55 AM 07-19-2014
why cant i get to choose the user 3? i just can use 1 and 2, the 3 is not working!
sethsez 10:00 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido View Post
why cant i get to choose the user 3? i just can use 1 and 2, the 3 is not working!
User 3 is a customizable mode exclusively for 3D.

Also, got my second replacement in, and this one seems perfect! Manufactured last month, it's quiet and looks fantastic. Looks like my bad luck wasn't permanent!
Johnv6023's Avatar Johnv6023 10:05 AM 07-19-2014
I just purchased a house that has a projector setup in the basement. Current projector is a Sony 3lcd aw-15. I picked up the 1070 from the amazon deal last week before getting the keys because I didnt know what kind of condition the sony was in and i didnt want to miss out on the deal. The Sony is projecting on a 106" fixed elite screen. Lighting is completely controlled. The Sony is ceiling mounted about 10 1/2 ft from the screen and seating is about 12 ft away. Ceiling height is only 7' with the drop ceiling installed. There is about 10 inches from ceiling to screen and 18 inches from floor to screen.

Im currently debating whether I should swap out the Sony for the BenQ. I have had a chance to fire up the Sony and it appears to be in good working order but Ive never had a projector before and I wouldn't know if the picture im looking at is awesome or just average. Im torn, any suggestions? And given the above room dimensions and existing screen size, would the BenQ work well in my current setup? Could it be mounted in the current position of the Sony or would i be better off changing the location? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
shiseido's Avatar shiseido 10:39 AM 07-19-2014
is this usual with your w1070???



kreeturez's Avatar kreeturez 11:26 AM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido View Post
is this usual with your w1070???
We've already answered this for you in the other thread you started:
dlp (w1070) with bad convergence?!?!
niccolo's Avatar niccolo 12:35 PM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido View Post
is this usual with your w1070???


This chromatic aberration is normal for this projector. In addition, the projector doesn't seem to be able to focus perfectly across the full screen when mounted at distances other than the shortest possible throws (which is counterintuitive, one would expect it to be the other way around). But in real-world use, the image it throws is excellent. So I think this falls into the category of calibrating one's expectations, not equipment.
Rew452's Avatar Rew452 01:20 PM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
This chromatic aberration is normal for this projector. In addition, the projector doesn't seem to be able to focus perfectly across the full screen when mounted at distances other than the shortest possible throws (which is counterintuitive, one would expect it to be the other way around). But in real-world use, the image it throws is excellent. So I think this falls into the category of calibrating one's expectations, not equipment.

Well said! +1
bighvy76's Avatar bighvy76 03:44 PM 07-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv6023 View Post
I just purchased a house that has a projector setup in the basement. Current projector is a Sony 3lcd aw-15. I picked up the 1070 from the amazon deal last week before getting the keys because I didnt know what kind of condition the sony was in and i didnt want to miss out on the deal. The Sony is projecting on a 106" fixed elite screen. Lighting is completely controlled. The Sony is ceiling mounted about 10 1/2 ft from the screen and seating is about 12 ft away. Ceiling height is only 7' with the drop ceiling installed. There is about 10 inches from ceiling to screen and 18 inches from floor to screen.

Im currently debating whether I should swap out the Sony for the BenQ. I have had a chance to fire up the Sony and it appears to be in good working order but Ive never had a projector before and I wouldn't know if the picture im looking at is awesome or just average. Im torn, any suggestions? And given the above room dimensions and existing screen size, would the BenQ work well in my current setup? Could it be mounted in the current position of the Sony or would i be better off changing the location? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
actually it should work with the current setup. Mine is around 11' back and it projects 120" the projector lens needs to sit around 3" above the viewable part of the screen .
Arcadia88's Avatar Arcadia88 11:50 PM 07-19-2014
Thanks for the info on the chromatic abrasion. I have been wondering about that. I now have 252 hours of operation.
It took me along time to get the geometry square with the screen and as much focus as possible. I can see all the squares but it's true that the the outer most edges are not as in focus as the center. I assume this is the best the tiny lens can do?
My old benq 8720 had a much bigger lens and I never saw the chromatic abrasion but I did have more trouble focusing the older projector. (I think this was due more to the powered focus that went in tiny steps. I needed smaller steps.)
For those woried about the noise level. Don't.
I have mine mounted on the ceiling right above my head with an 8 foot ceiling. It's more than acceptable air movement noise. I'll even put it in high altitude mode for more air and louder fans in the hope of extended bulb life. But I'll turn off the high altitude mode when company is over.
Scott Mantooth's Avatar Scott Mantooth 12:08 AM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
Thanks for the info on the chromatic abrasion. I have been wondering about that. I now have 252 hours of operation.
It took me along time to get the geometry square with the screen and as much focus as possible. I can see all the squares but it's true that the the outer most edges are not as in focus as the center. I assume this is the best the tiny lens can do?
My old benq 8720 had a much bigger lens and I never saw the chromatic abrasion but I did have more trouble focusing the older projector. (I think this was due more to the powered focus that went in tiny steps. I needed smaller steps.)
For those woried about the noise level. Don't.
I have mine mounted on the ceiling right above my head with an 8 foot ceiling. It's more than acceptable air movement noise. I'll even put it in high altitude mode for more air and louder fans in the hope of extended bulb life. But I'll turn off the high altitude mode when company is over.
I noticed that the squares on the bottom of the test pattern are not as large as the other squares in height. No matter how much I move the projector up, or down on the mount they are smaller. Is the test pattern only meant for focus and is it normal for the squares on the bottom row of the pattern to be shorter in height than the rest? All of the rest of the rows are uniform in size.
Arcadia88's Avatar Arcadia88 12:16 AM 07-20-2014
I found it best to use the test pattern just for geometry squaring up the screen. I used the menu and moved it to the center and all 4 corners when doing the focusing. The menu has a grey and colored look that doesn't show that chromatic abrasion color shift in the corners as bad as the white of the test pattern. Made focusing easier.
niccolo's Avatar niccolo 12:27 AM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Mantooth View Post
I noticed that the squares on the bottom of the test pattern are not as large as the other squares in height. No matter how much I move the projector up, or down on the mount they are smaller. Is the test pattern only meant for focus and is it normal for the squares on the bottom row of the pattern to be shorter in height than the rest? All of the rest of the rows are uniform in size.
Yes, it's normal.
zchrisz's Avatar zchrisz 05:05 AM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
I just started researching projectors and I swear, this thing seems like the holy grail of projectors! Lol. If i mount it above my couch on a standard height ceiling, will I hear the fan? I know the bulbs have some crazy high hour rating but can someone tell me how long they last in real world scenarios? Coming from a 65 inch viera plasma, am I going to want to punch the picture quality in the mouth sitting 11 feet away at 100 inches in a dark room? Thanks for any answers!
i had way back when they came out a 56" rear projection DLP, the thing was awesome, had that cinema type picture, i currently have a 50" plasma, and i swear it kicks the DLP's LCD's and LED's right where it hurts. i LOVE my plasma, smooth, excellent black levels. that being said i wanted a DLP back, i'm building a small room in the basement, got the w1070 it's a great projector, and i don't know why everyone complains about the fan, i never hear it and always check to see if it's working and it's mounted above my seating and i don't have any audio equipment in the room, i'm using the built in speaker at the moment.

i'm 11-12 feet away from a 100" it's awesome. again the black levels aren't great, but it's a good picture. i'm happy.
sethsez 11:28 AM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchrisz View Post
i had way back when they came out a 56" rear projection DLP, the thing was awesome, had that cinema type picture, i currently have a 50" plasma, and i swear it kicks the DLP's LCD's and LED's right where it hurts. i LOVE my plasma, smooth, excellent black levels. that being said i wanted a DLP back, i'm building a small room in the basement, got the w1070 it's a great projector, and i don't know why everyone complains about the fan, i never hear it and always check to see if it's working and it's mounted above my seating and i don't have any audio equipment in the room, i'm using the built in speaker at the moment.

i'm 11-12 feet away from a 100" it's awesome. again the black levels aren't great, but it's a good picture. i'm happy.
When the fan works right, it's nice and quiet. When it doesn't, believe me, you'll know.
agent8's Avatar agent8 02:04 PM 07-20-2014
If I should have made my own thread, I apologize.
Ok, so after reading almost 10 pages of posts, I think you guys convinced me on this projector. My room is going to be a little tricky because it is not all squared up and I may have a few issues. As you can see, I have 2 front high speakers for my 7.2 system and these can't really be moved so I have to keep my screen centered. I added in red approximately where a 100" screen would be. My first question is, will that glass block wall on the right side be an issue with light coming in from the outside door in the background? My screen can not be fixed since my wife is barely on board with the idea of a projector so it has to retract to the ceiling. Most of the time we will watch at night so not a big deal.


My second issue is that using benq's calculator, of a 100" screen, sitting 13 feet away, it tells me the throw should be from 8'4'' to 10'10". At 10' 6" I have a can light that is in a direct line where the center of the screen will be. What would be the ideal spot to mount the projector? (pros and cons of having to use the zoom or having it close or far?)
If it is best to have it over 10' 6'', will that can light disrupt the projected image? Most of the time the light will be off so not a huge issue. (The center of screen would line up to the right side of the big couch in line with the recessed light in the picture)

Lastly, Almost all of my viewing will be from a htpc via hdmi. I have a few sbs 3d mkv movies and I use XMBC (super awesome by the way!) will those 3d movies work? I was reading on here that it only does a certain refresh rate or something that may have to be changed. I am confused.
Thanks for any help at all, I want to plan this thing out well in advance before I get into complications!
bori's Avatar bori 02:14 PM 07-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post
If I should have made my own thread, I apologize.
Ok, so after reading almost 10 pages of posts, I think you guys convinced me on this projector. My room is going to be a little tricky because it is not all squared up and I may have a few issues. As you can see, I have 2 front high speakers for my 7.2 system and these can't really be moved so I have to keep my screen centered. I added in red approximately where a 100" screen would be. My first question is, will that glass block wall on the right side be an issue with light coming in from the outside door in the background? My screen can not be fixed since my wife is barely on board with the idea of a projector so it has to retract to the ceiling. Most of the time we will watch at night so not a big deal.


My second issue is that using benq's calculator, of a 100" screen, sitting 13 feet away, it tells me the throw should be from 8'4'' to 10'10". At 10' 6" I have a can light that is in a direct line where the center of the screen will be. What would be the ideal spot to mount the projector? (pros and cons of having to use the zoom or having it close or far?)
If it is best to have it over 10' 6'', will that can light disrupt the projected image? Most of the time the light will be off so not a huge issue. (The center of screen would line up to the right side of the big couch in line with the recessed light in the picture)

Lastly, Almost all of my viewing will be from a htpc via hdmi. I have a few sbs 3d mkv movies and I use XMBC (super awesome by the way!) will those 3d movies work? I was reading on here that it only does a certain refresh rate or something that may have to be changed. I am confused.
Thanks for any help at all, I want to plan this thing out well in advance before I get into complications!
Yes the mkv movies will work just need to manually change projector to 3d.
Tags: Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
First ... 318  319  320 321  322  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop