BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 322 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9631 of 9654 Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Here is the ir extender.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9654 Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
I'm not sure what you mean with the reference to lens shift.
Any optical or geometric issues when the adjustment is set to one of the limits.
post #9633 of 9654 Old 07-21-2014, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
Any optical or geometric issues when the adjustment is set to one of the limits.
Not other than what I already mentioned.

Benq W1070 projector
Da-Lite High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver
Focal 700-series towers and center
JMLab Tantal-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9634 of 9654 Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido View Post
youre right, i live in europe and with tv i dont see rbe (50hz) but my sony s390 i can disable the 24p and that way, show in 60hz (bds) but im not losing image quality? i think i see more rbe with smart eco on thant in eco mode.
ps, the star wars was with 24p, i need to see it again in 60hz (50hz aint possibe)
I live in the UK. My LG blu-Ray player can output either 24 or 60 fps. I notice a lot more rainbows on 24 than on 60. Now I know why. I occasionally see the rainbow effect mostly on night scenes where there are lights in the background. It's not enough to really bother me anyway.

I don't notice any difference in quality between the 2 modes
post #9635 of 9654 Old 07-22-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd555 View Post
I live in the UK. My LG blu-Ray player can output either 24 or 60 fps. I notice a lot more rainbows on 24 than on 60. Now I know why.
Yeah, that's exactly why. It also turns out that 50hz is quite a bit faster. But 60hz is perfect for most people

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9636 of 9654 Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Yeah, that's exactly why. It also turns out that 50hz is quite a bit faster. But 60hz is perfect for most people
That's useful info. Thanks

And I meant Hz rather than fps (if there's a difference)
post #9637 of 9654 Old 07-22-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd555 View Post
That's useful info. Thanks

And I meant Hz rather than fps (if there's a difference)

No problem. Nope, they're the same thing

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #9638 of 9654 Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question

I snagged a W1070 during the recent NeweggFlash sale, but noticed some characteristics in my projected image that I wasn't sure if they warranted an exchange. I took some photos as daylight was coming on and I don't have blackout curtains so excuse the quality. I'm also projecting on my textured wall until my blackout liner arrives Wednesday and I build a screen.

First, I noticed what I've come to learning is called "chromatic aberration", and seen some people cite it as normal at this price range, and even specifically shown it on a W1070. Is this something that would be virtually impossible to avoid and I should expect in any replacement?

Right side:

Left side:

Second, it appears that the left side of my projected image is slightly dimmer than the right, with the brightest being just right of center at the bottom. I looked at a lot of peoples photos for months and never noticed complaints of this or saw any obvious unevenness, so I wonder if mine is particularly defective or if this is again something that's considered typical/acceptable. I'm not sure, but the left side even seems maybe slightly softer in focus or even a tiny bit skewed.

Thirdly, I discovered black, white, and green clipping. This pic was taken when it was getting quite bright out so you can hardly see the blue but it's there. The green is a solid bright green - no steps of shade at all. I've seen only a couple people ask about black and white clipping that got vague responses about it possibly being the source, but earlier in this thread, I found a couple people talking about it. One said it was normal with this projector, I guess, and the other was reporting they they actually had no clipping (BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$). I read elsewhere that this might be an Nvidia issue to which there might be some registry edit that could circumvent their glitchy controls. My source is my Windows 7 PC through a GTX 650 ti. Nobody else mentioned color clipping like my green, which further makes me wonder if my projector has a special problem beyond normal.

Lastly, I'm not sure if my walls are not level in my apartment or not, but the top of the projected image seems straight, and the right side seems pretty parallel to the right wall, but obviously the left side isn't. I put a level on the table I have the projector on and it reads level. Adjusting the angle and moving side to side always brings me to this position, so I guess it's square with the wall as can be...

So, does this all seem within typical/acceptable quality, or should I return for a replacement within the 30 day window from NeweggFlash? I'm new to projectors so I thought I could use opinions from an experienced community. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unparallelleft.jpg (419.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg unevenlight.jpg (372.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg rightsideconvergence.jpg (495.1 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg leftsideconvergence.jpg (448.0 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg clipping.jpg (364.0 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg chromaticaberration.jpg (356.3 KB, 223 views)
post #9639 of 9654 Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
the "problem" is that i cant choose (in bds) 50hz, just 24p on or off (60hz)
post #9640 of 9654 Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There is normally nothing to choose

Blu ray Movies are 24 fps, the US-DVDs are thank to the awful 3:2 Pulldown 60 Hz and the European DVDs are thanks to the PAL-Speedup 50 Hz.

These Numbers are played automatically by any decent Player, to manually change these Numbers will get the crappy 3:2 Pulldown again or a studded missed Frames etc.. while playing.

If somebody can't live with the really reduced to the max RBE of the W1070 should trade any single-Chip-DLP for a LCD/SXRD/D-ILA.
post #9641 of 9654 Old 07-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Still need to finish cleaning up the wires in my av shelves, ordered shorter cables for the projector in the ceiling and the subs are not in place so I have a empty 18" box, my currently 15" sub and the other 18" box is hiding in the corner.
Overall I was blown away with the clarity of the projector especially for 699 bucks. I havent watched a full movie on it yet, played some video games for a few minutes and both looked fantastic. Pictures are not very great, the rooms super dark with two black walls and two grey walls and I was to lazy to take out the nikon. I did all the work myself (aside from a few minutes of help from a friend picking up the screen and pulling the wires that I fished out for me) in under a week. I bought the projector on a Sunday and finished the room on a a friday. Painted walls and trim, removed existing tv and mount, built shelving, stained them, installed them. Moved my 4 block speaker terminal up, installed another 5 block terminal, and two HDMI wall plugs, ran all the wires for 5 speakers on the other side of the room (f,r,c,2 subs), moved and remounted my front high's, setup and installed the screen, built a bracket in the attic to hold the projector on and mounted that. Manged to get it relatively center on the screen and the correct distance (11'.4'') away. Installed the wiring for the power box in the ceiling and had my dad do the actual wiring ( not afraid to run the wires, didn't feel comfortable doing the splicing into an existing line). Tried to setup my speakers, still on the fence about the pioneer sc-71. I have to turn it up to -0 to get what I would consider normal listening volume. It might be going back soon. Once my subs arive and are in place I will probably build a stand for the center channel to match. The ikea coffee table works for now but I am not in love with it.

Nice setup, what screen are you using?
post #9642 of 9654 Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Mang View Post
Nice setup, what screen are you using?

Thanks, Its an elite screen I got it on amazon. It looks great IMO and setting it up was easy. Installing it on the wall was difficult they give very little insight as to how you get it to hang over the bottom mounts. I ended up taking them off the wall and just using velco to insure it didnt sway.

Room looks a little better now, I actually blew the 15" sub on the right in the pic. Still awaiting my SI drivers as well. I upgraded my receiver to an x4000 and picked up my materials for acoustic panels today.

Last edited by lemonslush; 07-23-2014 at 09:00 AM.
post #9643 of 9654 Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumguy View Post

I discovered black, white, and green clipping. This pic was taken when it was getting quite bright out so you can hardly see the blue but it's there. The green is a solid bright green - no steps of shade at all.

I don't think this is the video card: I've noticed the same thing on non-Nvidia hardware.

It seems specific to that calibration pattern: all I did was (strangely) toggle Color Temperature on the projector to something else, then toggled it back, and it was sorted - green stepped perfectly thereafter.

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd suspect it's related somehow to the video processor in the projector when handling this particular calibration pattern. No idea why since it's not an issue with any other patterns.

Not that the out-the-box picture needs all that much calibrating, mind :-)

post #9644 of 9654 Old 07-23-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey everyone,

Picked up this projector not too long ago. Very cool. Had a question I'm hoping you guys could answer.

If I project off a table below the screen, is there any difference to the image quality than if it was ceiling mounted? - assuming same distance and screen.

Also, what if I was using a grey screen with this projector - does that change the answer?

Thanks!
post #9645 of 9654 Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 PM

BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeeze View Post
If I project off a table below the screen, is there any difference to the image quality than if it was ceiling mounted? - assuming same distance and screen.
None whatsoever: it's the same electronics projecting the same image via the same optics - just upside down.

Quote:
Also, what if I was using a grey screen with this projector - does that change the answer?

Nope, same answer. In effect, grey just reduces black level (a good thing) at the expense of brightness (a bad thing).

Last edited by kreeturez; 07-23-2014 at 07:25 PM.
post #9646 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Its an elite screen I got it on amazon. It looks great IMO and setting it up was easy. Installing it on the wall was difficult they give very little insight as to how you get it to hang over the bottom mounts. I ended up taking them off the wall and just using velco to insure it didnt sway.

Room looks a little better now, I actually blew the 15" sub on the right in the pic. Still awaiting my SI drivers as well. I upgraded my receiver to an x4000 and picked up my materials for acoustic panels today.
As long as the top mounts can carry the weight I think velcro is a clever solution.

What's the screen size? May I ask how much you paid for the screen?
post #9647 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

The top mounts hold it fine, I made sure to put both top mounts into a stud on the wall. I didn't have a fancy laser level so it took some time getting everything straight. If you can borrow one from a friend it will make life much easier.

I went with the elite screen because the reviews said it was good and I had the ability to easily return it if I had an issue. Additionally the wait time of delivery was much better, 2 days instead of a month or so compared to some other vendors I researched for similarly priced screens.

I paid 324.99 for the screen + sales tax because my state sucks like that.

Its a good screen, you just have to be careful of the edges as its painted on not fabric like some other. This I was willing to look past, I made sure to be extra careful when handling it for hanging.

I made 6 acoustic treatments and hung them. I will post some pics later.
post #9648 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM

Quote:
The top mounts hold it fine, I made sure to put both top mounts into a stud on the wall. I didn't have a fancy laser level so it took some time getting everything straight. If you can borrow one from a friend it will make life much easier.

I went with the elite screen because the reviews said it was good and I had the ability to easily return it if I had an issue. Additionally the wait time of delivery was much better, 2 days instead of a month or so compared to some other vendors I researched for similarly priced screens.

I paid 324.99 for the screen + sales tax because my state sucks like that.

Its a good screen, you just have to be careful of the edges as its painted on not fabric like some other. This I was willing to look past, I made sure to be extra careful when handling it for hanging.

I made 6 acoustic treatments and hung them. I will post some pics later.
And what's the size? Thanks for the info ;-)
post #9649 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

Its a 120" here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mount:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the benq for $699 and the mount for $27 or something. Mounts great, but if I was to buy another I would get one that brought the projector closer to the ceiling just so I would have more clearance for my speakers.

I put the screen on the wall first after getting a rough idea of where the projector would go. I then mounted the projector which was somewhat of a pain. Finding the center point of your screen and then tracing it back down your wall was time consuming and if you have that fancy laser level with the L ruler function then its easy. I ad to rig up something by using rulers and a laser pointer to make sure I got it center. Not very scientific but it worked. The mount also has about an 1-1.5 of left to right movement which helps. As long as you get it pretty centered you can tweak the mount and use lens shift if needed.

Last edited by lemonslush; Yesterday at 05:21 AM.
post #9650 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As I had issues with nVidia video card, I switched to ATI. The Denon-PJ setup seems to detect the PC display fine. However I just can't get the display area to fill my 105" screen no matter what. The scaling option in ATI control center is a joke. How do you guys do it?
Thanks!
post #9651 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Anyone know a good mount that keeps it as close to the ceiling as possible? I only have 7'9" ceilings so I need to be as flush as possible.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9652 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Picked up this projector not too long ago. Very cool. Had a question I'm hoping you guys could answer.

Thanks!
You get some change with a normal reflective screen vs. a retro-reflective screen (the light bounces in a straight line or goes back to the source)

With a normal reflective screen, you theoretically can get more brightness from a ceiling mount (depending on all the angles) and vice versa with a retro-reflective + a table mount.

For low gains though (.95/1.3) it probably just doesn't matter. The old Da-lite High Power (2.5 gain retro reflective) it could make a difference but that screen was nuclear bright no matter what. I loved that screen. Rejected ambient light very well

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9653 of 9654 Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Acoustic Panels. I really should have put one up on the ceiling but it was late and I decided that was to much work. SO I threw an extra on the side wall.

Still no subs :-(
post #9654 of 9654 Old Today, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys, I am going to attempt to create some manual masking for my 82" screen this weekend and I wanted to share what I'm going to do and then whether or not it works after I'm done.

I got a 50% off coupon at Joann Fabrics and bought 2 yards of their top-tier premium velvet, and with the 82" screen, the 72 inch width is going to work out nicely for several other items. I went to a hardware store on a whim (next to Joann, so it was convenient) and I bought two six foot (72") 1/4" x 1" aluminum bars. I also have some velcro and may be purchasing glue.

The idea is this:

I'm going to create a pocket in the velvet for the aluminum bars and they will be the straight-edge that keeps the masking in place. On the inside of the bezel of my screen, I'm going to place a strip of velcro and then put velcro on the end of the aluminum bars. This way, the masking will be variable for slightly different aspect ratios. I'm also thinking that I'm going to attach the velvet to the bottom and top of the screen frame with velcro so that the masking can be completely removed if necessary (not that it would be, but just in case).

All in all, this is going to cost me about $50-$75 (slightly more if I didn't have the coupon) and a small amount of getting up to place the masking for Scope movies.

If it works out I'll try and share some pics. Basically, the idea was to go as simple as possible, yet remain variable (for those few movies in odd aspect ratios), and be super cheap (compared to a "real" masking system).

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page