BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 325 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9721 of 10654 Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 200
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd555 View Post
Yes maybe that's what I've done at some point. Also I did watch Pacific Rim 3D at the weekend (very good by the way) so maybe that has something to do with it

I'll be more cautious in future!

Yeah, might've flicked to default 'Standard' mode when coming out of 3D.

To be safe, it might make sense to set each preset to SmartEco, just in case!

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 10654 Old 08-05-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
To be safe, it might make sense to set each preset to SmartEco, just in case!
Good thinking. Have done that now. Thanks
post #9723 of 10654 Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Okay guys...two years with this PJ and I'm just now using the 3D I really like my glasses and the picture has been great. I was curious though...can the picture be changed in 3D (Standard, Cinema, Dynamic)?

Just trying to get the best pic...it's a little dark, but that can also be from my 4000 hours I've put on the PJ.
post #9724 of 10654 Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post
Okay guys...two years with this PJ and I'm just now using the 3D I really like my glasses and the picture has been great. I was curious though...can the picture be changed in 3D (Standard, Cinema, Dynamic)?

Just trying to get the best pic...it's a little dark, but that can also be from my 4000 hours I've put on the PJ.
3D always takes a significant hit in brightness compared to 2D. If you think about it, any pair of 3D glasses (even passive ones at a theater) drop brightness significantly. Then, remember that when Active glasses are in operation, at any given time, only one of the two lenses is actually 'open' (and there's even a portion of time per cycle - during the red-flash sync - that both are closed); so it drops even more in operation.

And of course, at 4000 hours - your lamp has dimmed somewhat! (What lamp power mode are you using? If you're using Eco, then swap over to SmartEco or Normal mode to gain brightness in 3D with very little loss of quality to the image.)

In terms of compensating to increase brightness, the three controls that are most helpful are Brightness (obviously!), Contrast and Gamma (under advanced picture settings).

You have two preset modes to play with in 3D: the default one (simply called 3D); and 'User 3' (which could be renamed if you wanted). Changes made to either are saved.

For brighter 3D movies, I've left the default settings almost in tact but just dropped Gamma by one point and I'm sorted most of the time. (Pushing Gamma too low washes the image out; so you'd want to go easy on it.)

For dim movies, for the second preset, I've dropped Gamma one point as well, and in addition, pushed up Brightness (by about 2 points or so) and Contrast (by 3-5 points).
Once again, pushing up brightness increases black levels and pushing up contrast introduces bright-color/white clipping; so you'll want to take it easy here, too.

Experiment with those three controls a bit (along with lamp mode) and determine what looks best for you in your setup. Hopefully, a one-point drop in gamma (along with SmartEco/Normal lamp mode) is all you need for most of your content.
JoeBoy73 and Ftoast like this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9725 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If I placed the w1070 on a coffee table would it projector above a 42" tv placed on an entertainment unit that's roughly the same height?
post #9726 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by farr3ll View Post
If I placed the w1070 on a coffee table would it projector above a 42" tv placed on an entertainment unit that's roughly the same height?
No unless you used tilt and keystone.

The image will be about 3-7 inches higher than the center of the lens.
post #9727 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys, I'm newbie kind of, I have the qumi q2, I'm about to pull the trigger for this projector but I don't know much about calculating throw distance, etc. mi setup is like this: the ceiling mount is about close to 13 ft (close to 4 mts) from the screen (110'' DYE) and well to make it short I need help, I went to projector central's calculator and I don't think I can make this projector work with my actual setup if barely, but I don't know much about a projector zoom funtionality and I can't move the ceiling mount closer(to much trouble and by that I mean the wife), so my big question is: Am I going to be able to make it work? I really want this projector (my second option and acording to the calculator the optoma hd131xe would be fine with my setup. I really apreciate any advise, thanks in advance and sorry for my english.
post #9728 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I'm a huge newbie to the world of projectors (audio has long been more of my thing). I have to say that the w1070 really has grabbed my attention and is looking like a very real candidate to be my first projector in a small dedicated theater build. I'm a little less then a year away from when I think I would be making the jump, but all my research so far makes it look like in terms of picture quality (which is paramount over features in my eyes) is a very solid competitor in the under $1500 range.

Question I have is about the throw distance. I would likely be wanting to go with a screen between 86 and 92 inches. It appears from the Benq calculator that my throw would only be around 8 feet for my situation (high shelf mount of ceiling mount). By all my research thus far that seems like a ridiculously short throw. I'm working in a room that is 11 x 12, so it's not a big issue for me, but the math just seems wrong.

Also will ask, how much damage does a ceiling mount do to the ceiling? I'm renting this house (so this is a temporary theater) so I don't want to cause too much destruction.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #9729 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I'm a huge newbie to the world of projectors (audio has long been more of my thing). I have to say that the w1070 really has grabbed my attention and is looking like a very real candidate to be my first projector in a small dedicated theater build. I'm a little less then a year away from when I think I would be making the jump, but all my research so far makes it look like in terms of picture quality (which is paramount over features in my eyes) is a very solid competitor in the under $1500 range.

Question I have is about the throw distance. I would likely be wanting to go with a screen between 86 and 92 inches. It appears from the Benq calculator that my throw would only be around 8 feet for my situation (high shelf mount of ceiling mount). By all my research thus far that seems like a ridiculously short throw. I'm working in a room that is 11 x 12, so it's not a big issue for me, but the math just seems wrong.

Also will ask, how much damage does a ceiling mount do to the ceiling? I'm renting this house (so this is a temporary theater) so I don't want to cause too much destruction.
I assume you're using an online calculator like http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...lator-pro.htm? If 92 inch diagonal 16:9 screen, your maximum throw is 10 feet (keep in mind the calculators will show you both the full range and a middle number). That's not long, but it's not ridiculously short for such a small screen. The W1070 is a relatively short-throw projector, even if the W1080 is even more so.

Keep in mind a high shelf would need the projector mounted upside down underneath it, since the projector projects up when upright, down when upside down.

In theory, you could hang a projector mount off as little as one anchor screw into a stud. In practice, I'd vote for two. Screws don't make big holes, easy to fill in afterward. A toggle bolt to anchor on drywall makes a bigger hole, but that's a pretty bad idea anyway, don't want the weight of your projector above your head just hanging on the drywall. How many screws also depends on the mounting holes on your chosen mount, in my case my mount (Chief RSMAU) requires four, a friend built a simple metal plate that interfaces between those four and two anchor screws that go into the stud.

If you're not buying for a year, you should either be able to get the W1070 for a serious discount or you may choose something else that's on the market at that point.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9730 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Hadn't thought about the orientation of the projector. I've got a ceiling fan in the room that also might be an obstacle, but I'm pretty confident I could shoot under it without much trouble.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 92in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #9731 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've decided to keep the projector. I can't find anything worthy of replacing it without spending close to $3k. I played around with it last night and the picture looks excellent in a dark room. The rainbows are only annoying on certain types of scenes. My wife can't see them at all (she thinks I'm crazy). She also asked me why it looks so much better than our 70" LED TV I think I can live with it for the next year or two and then upgrade when prices come down on some of the other tech.
post #9732 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I replaced my ceiling fan with a short dome light. No other choice as the ceiling fan was 15 inches down from an 8 foot ceiling and a hanging chain. Yep it had to go. Enjoy your movies in the heat of summer. Ok it's not that bad I have AC
post #9733 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckshaw View Post
I've decided to keep the projector. I can't find anything worthy of replacing it without spending close to $3k. I played around with it last night and the picture looks excellent in a dark room. The rainbows are only annoying on certain types of scenes. My wife can't see them at all (she thinks I'm crazy). She also asked me why it looks so much better than our 70" LED TV I think I can live with it for the next year or two and then upgrade when prices come down on some of the other tech.
If it makes you feel any better, I saw rainbows every time I turned the thing on for the first 200 hours or so, but now I only see them if I go looking. Most of that is the bulb "settling in," I think. So, you may just need to give it time.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
post #9734 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Search Google for the Sound and Vision 3d settings (think the link is in this thread somewhere too), I thought they were good settings for improving the color and brightness with 3d.

EDIT: here is the link

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ector-settings

Last edited by Natrix1973; 08-06-2014 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added link for settings
post #9735 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I saw rainbows every time I turned the thing on for the first 200 hours or so, but now I only see them if I go looking. Most of that is the bulb "settling in," I think. So, you may just need to give it time.
That sounds a bit like speaker break-in, an awful lot of which would probably more accurately be called ears and brain break-in.

Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9736 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
That sounds a bit like speaker break-in, an awful lot of which would probably more accurately be called ears and brain break-in.
No. Projector lamps decay over time and therefore the brightness reduces over the lamps' life. The first 150-200 hours being the biggest hit in brightness (though it is fairly steady from the graphs I've seen). So as the bulb gets less bright, rainbows, which are caused in part by our eyes distinguishing bright from dark, are reduced for the viewer. Hopefully that makes sense.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 PM 800s for surrounds.
post #9737 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
No. Projector lamps decay over time and therefore the brightness reduces over the lamps' life. The first 150-200 hours being the biggest hit in brightness (though it is fairly steady from the graphs I've seen). So as the bulb gets less bright, rainbows, which are caused in part by our eyes distinguishing bright from dark, are reduced for the viewer. Hopefully that makes sense.
Yep, agreed it makes sense that this would have some effect on rainbows; more importantly, whatever the cause, perceived improvements are a good thing.
fredxr2d2 likes this.

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9738 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi everybody, I was wondering if somebody can help me. Lately when I try to see 3d to my pj with power DVD 14 the 3d image is getting disturbing in my eyes. My eyes getting tired and the image is not clear 3d like before. I try to invert the 3d but not a chance. When I am streaming 3d from YouTube or vudu the 3d is clear. I tried also with win DVD and is the same. 3d has depth but is disturbing in the eys in the fast scenes. I play 3d isos from my laptop with nvidia sli 750. I tried to reinstall the drivers but nothing. Also all my devices connected with my yamaha amplifier. I have also a ps4 and with the new firmware supposed to play 3d blueray movies but I can watch only 3d in my 3d tv not on benq. The image change to frame packing but not see 3d. The image is still 2d. Thanks for any reply.
post #9739 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid64 View Post
Hi guys, I'm newbie kind of, I have the qumi q2, I'm about to pull the trigger for this projector but I don't know much about calculating throw distance, etc. mi setup is like this: the ceiling mount is about close to 13 ft (close to 4 mts) from the screen (110'' DYE) and well to make it short I need help, I went to projector central's calculator and I don't think I can make this projector work with my actual setup if barely, but I don't know much about a projector zoom funtionality and I can't move the ceiling mount closer(to much trouble and by that I mean the wife), so my big question is: Am I going to be able to make it work? I really want this projector (my second option and acording to the calculator the optoma hd131xe would be fine with my setup. I really apreciate any advise, thanks in advance and sorry for my english.
Cmon guys, I really need help here.
post #9740 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrid64 View Post
Cmon guys, I really need help here.
Use this site: http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

You may have been to this site from your words but it answers all your questions.

Ian
post #9741 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ok , just saw a post in the found deals that benq is selling the refurb 1070 fora pretty nice price , I was teetering between the 1070(first choice) and the cheaper optoma hd131xe and $100 gift card on amazon, but since I found the refurb deal... My question is , how do the refurbs stack up, generally speaking? Does Benq have a decent record with refurbs , or should I avoid it? My other problem is that I haven't found express information on what their refurb warranty is , just that it is not the same as the regular warranty. If someone can point me to the info I'm missing on their site I would appreciate it greatly. I've been chomping at the bit for ages to move to a PJ , and just got to demo the 1070 today in far from optimal conditions at Fry's , luckily I didn't see rainbows , and even with the lights on in their theater room ( which they can't dim for security reasons) the pic was pretty good, so I'm sure it will look fine in my bright ass livingroom , and will look great at night. Thanks for the help and I'm looking to join all of you in projector land!

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #9742 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
No unless you used tilt and keystone.

The image will be about 3-7 inches higher than the center of the lens.
Thanks for the info.

Not sure if this projector is going to be right for me then. I can mount it higher but it'll be 4.7-4.8 metres back from screen. The screen size isn't a concern but by calculation it'll only output 14 foot Lambert. I'm guessing 3d is going to be a bit iffy but will this be too dark even for 2d?

Last edited by farr3ll; 08-06-2014 at 07:51 PM.
post #9743 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 07:15 PM
JW6

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Why does the BenQ and recently provided projector central calculator differ by 2'5" for a 92" screen at a distance of 8' w/o zoom or "1"? Am I missing something?

Last edited by JW6; 08-06-2014 at 07:46 PM.
post #9744 of 10654 Old 08-06-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW6 View Post
Why does the BenQ and recently provided projector central calculator differ by 2'4" for a 92" screen at a distance of 8' w/o zoom or "1"? Am I missing something?
One of the calculators had zoom backwards if I recall

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9745 of 10654 Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
JW6

Quote:
One of the calculators had zoom backwards if I recall
Thanks. It appears then the projector central is reversed after seeing some other setups. Just got the pj and I'm right at 7'11'' so I need all of that for a 92" screen. Only real preceivable problem I forsee is light leakage from other reports and it looks like this is hit or miss.
post #9746 of 10654 Old 08-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW6 View Post
Thanks. It appears then the projector central is reversed after seeing some other setups. Just got the pj and I'm right at 7'11'' so I need all of that for a 92" screen. Only real preceivable problem I forsee is light leakage from other reports and it looks like this is hit or miss.
The projector exhibits a little light leakage, but it's hard to see how that would vary, it's just a function of the design.

Since you're mounting it so close to the screen, it's possible it'll be more of an issue for you, in which case you could fairly easily improvise some masking to block the light leakage coming out of the vent from hitting the screen, while not blocking airflow.

There's also some light leakage from the lens itself (why do most projectors use reflective silver lens surrounds??), which casts a fair bit of light onto the ceiling (and from there onto the screen), I've played around with masking this with some cardboard and black masking tape.

But I haven't heard of anyone for whom the light leakage seemed to significantly compromise image quality.

Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9747 of 10654 Old 08-10-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does anyone use a curved screen with this projector?
post #9748 of 10654 Old 08-10-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farr3ll View Post
Thanks for the info.

Not sure if this projector is going to be right for me then. I can mount it higher but it'll be 4.7-4.8 metres back from screen. The screen size isn't a concern but by calculation it'll only output 14 foot Lambert. I'm guessing 3d is going to be a bit iffy but will this be too dark even for 2d?
14 foot lamberts is a lot. If you want to jazz it up a bit you can simply use a screen with a bit of gain (1.3) or if you really want nuclear brightness you can get something with a 2+ gain. You might be surprised how much 14 is though especially in a light controlled room.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9749 of 10654 Old 08-10-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
14 foot lamberts is a lot. If you want to jazz it up a bit you can simply use a screen with a bit of gain (1.3) or if you really want nuclear brightness you can get something with a 2+ gain. You might be surprised how much 14 is though especially in a light controlled room.
Thanks mate. I've been floating around asking questions about this and that on the w1070 over the past few months but thought best way was to bite the bullet. Got my W1070 yesterday (first projector) and I'm blown away by the quality, even converted my naysayer wife who was "what do you want a projector for, waste of money" all along

You're right, if 14fL is what im getting from my projected image at 4.7 metres then it's ample. In fact, too much. I've only watched a movie out of the box so need to change the settings, change to smart eco etc

The hairs stand up on the back of my neck every time I think about my 3 metre wide screen on the wall, I think I've started down a road of obsession.
post #9750 of 10654 Old 08-10-2014, 03:32 PM
JW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
The projector exhibits a little light leakage, but it's hard to see how that would vary, it's just a function of the design.

Since you're mounting it so close to the screen, it's possible it'll be more of an issue for you, in which case you could fairly easily improvise some masking to block the light leakage coming out of the vent from hitting the screen, while not blocking airflow.

There's also some light leakage from the lens itself (why do most projectors use reflective silver lens surrounds??), which casts a fair bit of light onto the ceiling (and from there onto the screen), I've played around with masking this with some cardboard and black masking tape.

But I haven't heard of anyone for whom the light leakage seemed to significantly compromise image quality.
Thanks guys. Good to hear the light leakage isn't too bad. So wish I could get by with a 100" screen, hell to soffits/airducts I actually diy'ed a 110" paired with the Optoma HD65 which I had past soffit and to the side and it still impressed. Can't wait to see the w1070 with proper image (squared, no keystone, etc.). 92" should be ok at 10' seating I suppose. Just looks like this thing could use all the screen one can muster with the lumen output. Still debating on getting the Elite sable fixed 92". Looks pretty decent for the $200 mark.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page