BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 327 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9781 of 10007 Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
One more question. I have searched and couldn't find my answer. When I do the caluclator for the 110" screen I am getting 25fL minimum. I take it this is normal mode? I was doing some reading here....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance

and it said eco mode drops the brightness 30% which would take me down to about 17.5 fL. Is this a correct estimate on my part? I'm just a little worried it will be too bright. I may be able to do an accent wall but I can't black out the walls totally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 10007 Old 08-15-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
A couple of things that I've either missed in the thread , or are different from what I've read about this PJ . First , they sent it with a backlight remote . while I was expecting the non backlight one. I'm not sure if this is an upgrade or they sent a remote for a different model , but so far its working with the PJ . The other thing that I've noticed is that the zoom range my unit has doesn't match what the Benq website , or the Projector Central calculator claim. Measuring the horizontal from a throw distance of 10' , my unit throws 87" to 104". Benq's calc claims 81" to 105" from 10' , and PC claims 80" to 105" . I'm not really worried about the reduced zoom range it looks like mine has , I was just curious if variations in zoom range were normal , and if anyone else has been sent this remote , or if I just lucked out. Now I'm going to get back to watching this amazing projector.

Calculators are often not 100% perfectly-matched; which is why it makes sense to leave at least a bit of room for error. Think of them more as estimations. (Also, remember that the calculators measure from the front of the projector - ie, the lens - not the back. Though you're probably already doing so.)

The back-lit remote is now standard: vast improvement over the old one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanu View Post
What is the latest firmware on the projector?

My movie player only outputs ycbcr and with that the 3D SBS isn't recognised at 1080p.

It only works when using a player that does RGB.

I guess this is something which can be fixed by a firmware, so I hope it is available already?

Latest version of the firmware is 1.08. Try dropping your output refresh-rate to 24hz on your player and see if that helps? Otherwise, you might be out of luck with that particular player...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post
I will be getting 110" screen in a light controlled room. I will ceiling mount around 10.5' back. Does this sound right?

Sounds about right according to the calculator. You're also right in the middle of the zoom range so you've got plenty of room for error. Or for when you decide to take that screen size up a bit...

Quote:
One more question. I have searched and couldn't find my answer. When I do the caluclator for the 110" screen I am getting 25fL minimum. I take it this is normal mode? I was doing some reading here....

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...ge=Performance

and it said eco mode drops the brightness 30% which would take me down to about 17.5 fL. Is this a correct estimate on my part? I'm just a little worried it will be too bright. I may be able to do an accent wall but I can't black out the walls totally.

Those supplied measurements are normally in regular full-power mode; so yes, Eco will drop it 30% or so.

You'll see in practice whether you actually find Eco still too bright: I suspect it might be perfect. If you do though, a cheap ND filter is a simple solution. Increasing to a larger screen (as I hinted at above!) is another. Turning "Brilliant Color" off drops it a little bit further. Also with time, the lamp of any projector (if it's not LED) dims: so what is 'too bright' out of the box may be just right after 200 hours.
acras13 and fredxr2d2 like this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 08-15-2014 at 08:24 AM.
post #9783 of 10007 Old 08-16-2014, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hello, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this. I just want to make sure I am checking everything correctly. I will be sitting 13' back from screen. I will be getting 110" screen in a light controlled room. I will ceiling mount around 10.5' back. Does this sound right?

Thanks
I only hear people speaking of how big screen they can get with the projector max distance in theor space. Whatever happens to picture quality and viewing distance.to screen size ratio..Im at 10ft from my screen as well.as the projector being 10ft from screen...The maximum screen size i can go with is 80inch diagonal to see no discerning artifacts as in the best picture quality you can get..10ft.from.screen can give.me..a screen size.of around 140inchs.

One of the main aim of a projector is a cheaper way to get a larger.screen for half the cost
post #9784 of 10007 Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glanimal View Post
I only hear people speaking of how big screen they can get with the projector max distance in theor space. Whatever happens to picture quality and viewing distance.to screen size ratio..Im at 10ft from my screen as well.as the projector being 10ft from screen...The maximum screen size i can go with is 80inch diagonal to see no discerning artifacts as in the best picture quality you can get..10ft.from.screen can give.me..a screen size.of around 140inchs.

One of the main aim of a projector is a cheaper way to get a larger.screen for half the cost
For 1080p you should be 1.5times away the diagonal size of your screen

More info
Chart Distance x Screen Size - Standards SMPTE and THX
post #9785 of 10007 Old 08-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I pulled the trigger with 110" screen. Can't wait. Will be dropping in front of my 60"st50 plasma for movie duty.
post #9786 of 10007 Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I finally decided to use the WOW disk to calibrate the projector. I found that I'm getting a lot of white clipping. On the contrast test screen I can only see the three bars on the left, the ones that are supposed to be on the right side are solid white. Is there another setting besides contrast that I should be using to correct this or this expected from the W1070? I do not have any issues with the other test.
post #9787 of 10007 Old 08-16-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb99p View Post
I finally decided to use the WOW disk to calibrate the projector. I found that I'm getting a lot of white clipping. On the contrast test screen I can only see the three bars on the left, the ones that are supposed to be on the right side are solid white. Is there another setting besides contrast that I should be using to correct this or this expected from the W1070? I do not have any issues with the other test.
The projector clips at both extremes. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more. Oddly, some people have reported that theirs doesn't clip, and provided test screens to back it up.
post #9788 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just setup my W1070 last night. My only issue is that the bright / white areas look like I'm staring at the sun. Sides of faces, windows, white areas, etc... "bloom" with white light.

stats...
refurb direct from BenQ
bulb has 30 hours on it (factory testing?)
blackout fabric (Joann fabrics) 110" screen, reflecting on smooth/rubberized side

Anyway to fix this?

thx

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #9789 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
The projector clips at both extremes. I'm surprised this isn't mentioned more. Oddly, some people have reported that theirs doesn't clip, and provided test screens to back it up.
I wonder if setting the HDMI to 'PC Level' (instead of 'video' or 'auto') would do the trick?
kreeturez likes this.
post #9790 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I searched and didn't find anyone mentioning this. During the last week the projector has developed a hum during standby. It's really high pitched and I can hear it from bed. I'm going to have to start unplugging it to get some relief.
post #9791 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
I wonder if setting the HDMI to 'PC Level' (instead of 'video' or 'auto') would do the trick?

It might.. IIRC, calibration results also differ between using RGB and YCbCr color spaces on the source device; with some reviewers (if memory serves) finding one calibrates better than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingram View Post
I searched and didn't find anyone mentioning this. During the last week the projector has developed a hum during standby. It's really high pitched and I can hear it from bed. I'm going to have to start unplugging it to get some relief.

This used to come up all the time...

I mentioned it myself as one of the changes I noticed when picking up a new unit, when compared to my old one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

A few notes on the 01-107 (hardware revision) when compared to my original 00-103:
  • Came with firmware 1.08. Which means full 3D H-SBS support at 1080p24hz; out of the box.
  • Brightness uniformity drastically improved over the old one. Twisting the bulb of my old one (as per Dom Sad's suggestion, here) did help a lot, though it never bothered me much to begin with and I only twisted it as part of my attempt to dust-bust. A 45 Degree twist of the bulb did the trick for me. I wonder of the new one isn't twisted to begin with in-factory...
  • HDMI 1 is less recessed; meaning HDMI cables will likely make better contact (was never an issue for me, though it did affect some)
  • Fan doesn't rattle. Old one rattled from the first time I powered it on. Never bothered us much but the Mrs. did comment that the new one is quieter. That said, I half-expect it to start rattling at some point!
  • Lens-Shift cover clips in place now - it used to just slide.
  • No high-pitched PSU sound when projector is powered off but plugged in (in orange-light standby mode). This irritated me a ton on the old one; leading me to frequently power off the plug.
  • Overall brightness is about 20% brighter due to the new bulb. The old one was at 1500 hours; so this is a pretty good omen in terms of how the bulb dims with age. The main drop-off that I noticed was in the first 200-300 hours or so. Clearly a good bulb.
  • New remote; it's back-lit, looks exactly as per my post here. Never had issues with the old one (hardly needed to use it other than powering on/off); but it's really convenient to have 'User 1' and 'User 2' quick-access Mode-change buttons (I've got User 1 calibrated for night-time; and User 2 calibrated for day-time; not having to cycle through every mode when switching between them is great).
I'm guessing it doesn't get mentioned much anymore because new units aren't affected by it...

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9792 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post
If I recall correctly it does, but at a cost to image quality. It's been a while since I played around with this (and reported back, earlier in this thread).
post #9793 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:

More info
Just an FYI, I don't think that information presented is accurate.

Typically it's 1.5x screen WIDTH to eyes, not screen diagonal.

But, THX has good info right on their page:
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...r/hdtv-set-up/

They basically say that viewing distance should be between 1' and 1.5' for every 10" of diagonal. So, a 120" diagonal = 12' to 18' of viewing distance. They lean towards the front end of this, which is consistent with what I have found most people enjoy and reflects close to 'center of theater' viewing distances in commercial theaters I have been to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9794 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Just an FYI, I don't think that information presented is accurate.

Typically it's 1.5x screen WIDTH to eyes, not screen diagonal.

But, THX has good info right on their page:
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...r/hdtv-set-up/

They basically say that viewing distance should be between 1' and 1.5' for every 10" of diagonal. So, a 120" diagonal = 12' to 18' of viewing distance. They lean towards the front end of this, which is consistent with what I have found most people enjoy and reflects close to 'center of theater' viewing distances in commercial theaters I have been to.
That's much more consistent with my real-world experience. I have a 119" (i.e. 10-ft) 16:9 diagonal screen and sit 13' from it, and I find it about right, if it weren't for room constraints I might actually go a little bigger, and definitely for letterboxed widescreen content.

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9795 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

anyone try using a Darbee with the W1070? Interested in the results...

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #9796 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
Yep, I have a Oppo 103d and love it. After playing with the Darbee settings they add just enough to make it a nice touch.
post #9797 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Yep, I have a Oppo 103d and love it. After playing with the Darbee settings they add just enough to make it a nice touch.
^^ +1 - Picked up a refurb Oppo 103D to use with my W1070; love the effect. It (artificially) adds texture::grit::realism.
post #9798 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
^^ +1 - Picked up a refurb Oppo 103D to use with my W1070; love the effect. It (artificially) adds texture::grit::realism.
It does not really add anything to the picture like sharpness does.

"DARBEE puts depth cues and details in an image by increasing or decreasing the local pixel luminance, according to our patented method."
post #9799 of 10007 Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

I've watched several videos now from my HTC (xbmc), I WAS seeing a major problem... White/bright areas of the frames look like they are blooming. It is impossible to see any detail, it is like you are staring at a bright light.
Darker scenes were fine.

So... I changed to a different laptop, and everything is perfect now. The only difference was the 'problem child' was an Intel i3 iGPU and the one working perfectly is an AMD 6000 series discrete GPU.

So... a few questions...

1) Do all Intel iGPUs have a problem with this? Or is there some setting I'm missing?
2) What do you recommend for AMD GPU settings? - the PQ looks great now, but maybe people have suggestions to make it better

thx!

________
Ltek

Last edited by Livin; 08-17-2014 at 09:37 PM.
post #9800 of 10007 Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I've watched several videos now from my HTC (xbmc), I WAS seeing a major problem... White/bright areas of the frames look like they are blooming. It is impossible to see any detail, it is like you are staring at a bright light.
Darker scenes were fine.

So... I changed to a different laptop, and everything is perfect now. The only difference was the 'problem child' was an Intel i3 iGPU and the one working perfectly is an AMD 6000 series discrete GPU.

So... a few questions...

1) Do all Intel iGPUs have a problem with this? Or is there some setting I'm missing?
2) What do you recommend for AMD GPU settings? - the PQ looks great now, but maybe people have suggestions to make it better

thx!
This sounds like a driver / color space / gamma mismatch / something like that. Some configuration setting that was wrong between the Benq and the Intel

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9801 of 10007 Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello guys, I need your help.
I have a curved screen called "couch screen". Like the malcom screens lets say. The quality of the image with daylight is awesome.

I've done some changes in the living room (open holes in the wall to hide the cables, etc).
My current issue the projector positioning.

The guy who installed the screen some months ago mentioned that because the screen is curved, in the future the best thing was to have the projector centered with the screen --> Vertically centered offset
The problem is that W1070 doesn't allow you to use this vertically centered option correct?
Either I have it in the ceiling or in the ground.

I've been playing with BenQ project calculator and it seems like the projector should be positioned in the ceiling.
Or, should I do the Vertically centered offset, with some projector -30º angle and then play with the offset?
post #9802 of 10007 Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW, the key point here is that these curved screens retain the light in the screen but for that the projector should be aligned with the center height of the screen.
But I think this old men is still thinking about older projectors that don't use vertical lens like w1070.

so... placing it in the ceiling would be ok? :\
otherwise I will leave like that.. and use keystone values....

Last edited by P_I_M_P; 08-18-2014 at 07:50 AM.
post #9803 of 10007 Old 08-18-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
This sounds like a driver / color space / gamma mismatch / something like that. Some configuration setting that was wrong between the Benq and the Intel
Agreed, but I checked all the settings and everything looked normal - Gamma, etc. I did not see any way to change the color space.

Very interesting thing is while the htpc with the AMD video does not have blooming, the overall light output with the AMD is MUCH lower. With the Intel, HD3000 I think, I could easily watch shows in ambient light.

Anyone have any ideas?
For those using Intel graphics... Do you see the same thing I'm seeing?
For those using AMD/ATI cards... what do you have the card set to for the best output?

thx!

________
Ltek

Last edited by Livin; 08-18-2014 at 08:28 PM.
post #9804 of 10007 Old 08-18-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
kreeturez, thanks for the info on the updated remote , and the variation on the zoom specs.
Now I have another question. I'm experiencing e occasional signal drops over HDMI , but with a very strange twist . Watching content through my ROKU , I have no problem watching Netflix , TWIT network , Rush or many others . My problem is with Amazon prime. When watching Prime , every so often , no set pattern , the screen goes to snow for a couple seconds , then I get the searching for signal splash , then the image comes back. I get occasional flashes during shows without losing the image as well. I know this sounds like an HDMI cable issue , but since its so limited , and I haven't been able to reproduce this with other sources, or even other content through the ROKU , and the HDMI cable isn't touched before , during, or after the issue , I'm rather stumped. I used this cable for over a year with my plasma with no issues of any kind . Has anyone had anything like this happen? I'm guessing that it is not the PJ, but if someone knows otherwise so I can get this sorted I'll be appreciative .

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #9805 of 10007 Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
kreeturez, thanks for the info on the updated remote , and the variation on the zoom specs.
Now I have another question. I'm experiencing e occasional signal drops over HDMI , but with a very strange twist . Watching content through my ROKU , I have no problem watching Netflix , TWIT network , Rush or many others . My problem is with Amazon prime. When watching Prime , every so often , no set pattern , the screen goes to snow for a couple seconds , then I get the searching for signal splash , then the image comes back. I get occasional flashes during shows without losing the image as well. I know this sounds like an HDMI cable issue , but since its so limited , and I haven't been able to reproduce this with other sources, or even other content through the ROKU , and the HDMI cable isn't touched before , during, or after the issue , I'm rather stumped. I used this cable for over a year with my plasma with no issues of any kind . Has anyone had anything like this happen? I'm guessing that it is not the PJ, but if someone knows otherwise so I can get this sorted I'll be appreciative .
I had a similar issue when I first got my projector. At first I thought it was random but then I noticed that it was almost always happening when using the switch to turn the light or fan on/off. The outlet I was plugged into isn't supposed to be connected to the switch, but it was on the same wall as the switch. I moved to a different power outlet and it has not happened since.

Could be an entirely different issue, but just thought I should mention it.

I would start keeping track of when it happens and what you are doing at the time, if it truly does just happen when watching Amazon Prime it could be an issue with the Amazon Prime app on the Roku. Maybe you could see if there is a firmware/software update for the Roku?
post #9806 of 10007 Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

More info
Recommended seating distance for 1080p content is 1.5 X screen WIDTH. You can certainly go closer though, down to around 1.3 or even 1.2 times screen width. Personally I sit 10.5 feet from a 120", 1080p screen and it's awesome, I wouldn't want to sit any closer though, hard to follow the action.
post #9807 of 10007 Old 08-19-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Have had my 1070 for about a week projecting on a wall and man did I make the right choice. Image looks great even on the wall which is not white, so I know once a screen is put in there it will look amazing. Watched a couple of movies and playing games is great.
post #9808 of 10007 Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to BigRussianBO$$
Hello friends!
Now I am ready to buy this pj with its price. Is it still the best pj on the market? +-300$ is not a problem.
post #9809 of 10007 Old 08-19-2014, 08:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
I had a similar issue when I first got my projector. At first I thought it was random but then I noticed that it was almost always happening when using the switch to turn the light or fan on/off. The outlet I was plugged into isn't supposed to be connected to the switch, but it was on the same wall as the switch. I moved to a different power outlet and it has not happened since.

Could be an entirely different issue, but just thought I should mention it.

I would start keeping track of when it happens and what you are doing at the time, if it truly does just happen when watching Amazon Prime it could be an issue with the Amazon Prime app on the Roku. Maybe you could see if there is a firmware/software update for the Roku?

Thanks for the tip , but that's not the case with mine. The circuit is isolated to just AV gear , plugged into a Monster reference power center HTS2500 and one lamp, and I'm the only one here so I know no one is messing with anything when this problem manifests. The only possibility on the power side that I've yet to explore is changing the AFCI breaker out. Those things are problematic with AV components , I've had power supplies that simply would not work on AFCI , they would instantly trip the breaker. Perhaps the breaker is fluctuating the supply just enough to cause the signal to be interrupted .

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #9810 of 10007 Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I have an oppo 103d with a w1070. I leave it on 35 hi def all the time. It makes a subtle but noticeable change. Cranking it up too much looks unrealistic. Turning it off just looks like slightly softer focus.

It's pretty subtle at that setting.

I am not willing to say its better or worse, just a subtle change.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page