BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 328 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9811 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Senior Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussianBO$$ View Post
Hello friends!
Now I am ready to buy this pj with its price. Is it still the best pj on the market? +-300$ is not a problem.
I've been shopping for about a month now. In terms of picture quality this appears to be s good as you're going to get in the under $1500 (possibly $2000) category. I came in with $1500 to spend and I think for the first time since getting into this hobby I'm going to make a purchase and remain under budget.
AllenA07 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9812 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
akm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Spokane WA USA
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussianBO$$ View Post
Hello friends!
Now I am ready to buy this pj with its price. Is it still the best pj on the market? +-300$ is not a problem.
I bought it and I love mine. It truly is a great picture with the only caveats being the black level and the noise.

If I could do it all over agian, I might stretch up to the Sony VW40ES for improved black levels and other nice options (lens shift, etc) but I don't know if I would be sacrificing things like 3D quality.

I'm still amazed at how good the w1070 is period. For the price I'm blown away.

/caveat: I haven't seen many recent projectors to compare it to, my experience is from projectors from 10 years ago.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
akm3 is online now  
post #9813 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey everyone,

I wanted to give a quick update about a company that I just dealt with: XPand. While they were short on information sometimes, they did something pretty awesome for me: they made a custom firmware so that the DLP-Link glasses can operate in dual-view gaming mode. What this means for me specifically is that my gf, who can't watch 3D, can switch the glasses to either Left-eye only or Right-eye only and watch without discomfort. The glasses weren't as cheap as others have been talked about, but they're battery-powered (2032 or whatever those little guys are) and come with several nose pieces. They also block the red-flash and seem really well put-together. I think a good experience with a company deserves some recognition, so I'm putting this here and in the BenQ W1070 3D glasses thread.

Here's to good 3D!!!

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #9814 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
I have an oppo 103d with a w1070. I leave it on 35 hi def all the time. It makes a subtle but noticeable change. Cranking it up too much looks unrealistic. Turning it off just looks like slightly softer focus.

It's pretty subtle at that setting.

I am not willing to say its better or worse, just a subtle change.
thanks for the info... looks like it is not worth the $ - based on % cost of the entire system for the % improvement provided. I've spent under $700 on W1070 & DIY 110" screen... and it looks great.

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

Livin is online now  
post #9815 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nicktx27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussianBO$$ View Post
Hello friends!
Now I am ready to buy this pj with its price. Is it still the best pj on the market? +-300$ is not a problem.
As others have stated, under $2000 you're not going to be able to find a better value/deal. It is a solid picture and so far for me i have had a very quiet unit. If you are in the sub $1K market, and your room allows, this is the one to get.
I'm actually going to be mounting mine a little in front of the viewing seating. I know it's recommended that you don't, but I think it will be necessary in my setup. So at 10 ft I'll still have my 120" screen, but can go smaller if necessary.
Nicktx27 is online now  
post #9816 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
akm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Spokane WA USA
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
thanks for the info... looks like it is not worth the $ - based on % cost of the entire system for the % improvement provided. I've spent under $700 on W1070 & DIY 110" screen... and it looks great.
The Oppo 103D is a GREAT player, but like you say for a total % cost of a system, if you want to keep it low, it doesn't make some earth shattering change vs say an $80 Sony BluRay player something. I was a little disappointed in the Darbee processing and wish it was more dramatic without damaging the image.

Part of the weakness, in my opinion, is the lens in the w1070 just isn't that good so you can't really, really, REALLY get it in focus anyway. If it could focus perfectly without chromatic aberration (which looks just like LCD misconvergence) it might benefit more from the Darbee processing, in my humble opinion.
ellisr63 likes this.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
akm3 is online now  
post #9817 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
...so far for me i have had a very quiet unit.
Is it really quiet? I'm seeing, in both Eco & Std, a consistent 33db at 3' distance... with it sitting on a table. I don't find this "quiet" and it is annoying when watching anything that has scenes with normal listening levels / dialog / etc

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

Livin is online now  
post #9818 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nicktx27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
Is it really quiet? I'm seeing, in both Eco & Std, a consistent 33db at 3' distance... with it sitting on a table. I don't find this "quiet" and it is annoying when watching anything that has scenes with normal listening levels / dialog / etc
I'm sitting with it next to my head watching movies and playing games. I can't hear the fans at all.
I have it in eco mode.
ellisr63 likes this.
Nicktx27 is online now  
post #9819 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktx27 View Post
I'm sitting with it next to my head watching movies and playing games. I can't hear the fans at all.
I have it in eco mode.
What is the room temp? Mine is at 75, tops and the fan is loud

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

Livin is online now  
post #9820 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nicktx27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
What is the room temp? Mine is at 75, tops and the fan is loud

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Typically, when running, my upstairs is probably around 78-80 degrees. Once I get two fans in there instead of one it should be a little cooler.
Nicktx27 is online now  
post #9821 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 02:35 PM
Senior Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
What is the room temp? Mine is at 75, tops and the fan is loud
I run at the same ambient temperature and in Eco, the fan is pretty quiet. (Try switching to Eco Lamp Power). It's louder on SmartEco and Normal; but not distractingly so. (I run SmartEco usually).

Here's a question: how old is your unit? Did you buy new? Or 2nd-hand/refurbished? I ask because older units (last year's models) were frequently affected by a fan defect that caused a sort of rattling (or grinding/'crickets', as some described it) sound. If you're noticing something like this, then have it swapped out since it's technically a defect. (If it's a refurb, it's possible the fan is the reason for it being a refurb).

Once again, this only applies to older units so if you bought new, the fan should be fairly quiet - especially on Eco.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
kreeturez is offline  
post #9822 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
I run at the same ambient temperature and in Eco, the fan is pretty quiet. (Try switching to Eco Lamp Power). It's louder on SmartEco and Normal; but not distractingly so. (I run SmartEco usually).

Here's a question: how old is your unit? Did you buy new? Or 2nd-hand/refurbished? I ask because older units (last year's models) were frequently affected by a fan defect that caused a sort of rattling (or grinding/'crickets', as some described it) sound. If you're noticing something like this, then have it swapped out since it's technically a defect. (If it's a refurb, it's possible the fan is the reason for it being a refurb).

Once again, this only applies to older units so if you bought new, the fan should be fairly quiet - especially on Eco.
The unit is a refurb direct from BenQ (manuf date May 2013). To me, it just sounds like a fan but I'll pay more attention to see if it sounds like crickets.



I always run in Eco. I’m getting 33db during use – from cold (immediately after turning it on) the noise level is it 27-28db.



The unit is on a 32" tall table and I sit 36" on 45 degree angle behind & to the side - this is where I'm measuring it from.


Can you guys use a sound meter on your phones to measure the sound level from 36" to the side?


Seems odd I'm getting 33db when Nicktx27 says he cannot hear his fans at all! This would be more like 20-24db


thanks for the help trying to figure out if my unit is defective.



This is very different from people that are telling me on the forums they cannot hear the fan when in use… but I can definitely hear it.

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

Livin is online now  
post #9823 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'll try to remember to measure mine tonight, but 33dB sounds about like what I was getting when I dialed in my speakers. I have it ceiling mounted though and so it doesn't bother me very much--the only time I hear it is in quiet (no music) scenes in dialogue-heavy films. And even then it's just a light fan noise.
kreeturez likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #9824 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Also from this review it sounds about right:

Family room projectors tend to be a little noisy, in terms of fan noise. The W1070 is hardly a quiet projector, but rated 33db, puts it in the same range, and I’d say it’s at least as quiet at full power, as Epson’s Home Cinema 5020UB one of the best under $3000 home theater projectors around. - See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq....ayG5HGqZ.dpuf

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #9825 of 9833 Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Also from this review it sounds about right:

Family room projectors tend to be a little noisy, in terms of fan noise. The W1070 is hardly a quiet projector, but rated 33db, puts it in the same range, and I’d say it’s at least as quiet at full power, as Epson’s Home Cinema 5020UB one of the best under $3000 home theater projectors around. - See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq....ayG5HGqZ.dpuf
it is rated at 33db on Normal, 30db on Eco. I have a sneaky suspicion my unit is not really going into Eco mode. I look forward to hearing what DB rating you are getting on Eco. Thx for the help

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

Livin is online now  
post #9826 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Arcadia88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Make sure your not in high altitude mode. I use high altitude mode for more fan speed just for the hope of more lamp life. I think it is acceptable to me by myself but when I have company over I turn off the high altitude mode to lower the fan speed and noise. Can you turn it on and see what the increase in noise is?
Switching high altitude mode takes time for the fans to ramp up or down. It's not right away.

Last edited by Arcadia88; Yesterday at 08:36 AM.
Arcadia88 is offline  
post #9827 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nicktx27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,096
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
The unit is a refurb direct from BenQ (manuf date May 2013). To me, it just sounds like a fan but I'll pay more attention to see if it sounds like crickets.



I always run in Eco. I’m getting 33db during use – from cold (immediately after turning it on) the noise level is it 27-28db.



The unit is on a 32" tall table and I sit 36" on 45 degree angle behind & to the side - this is where I'm measuring it from.


Can you guys use a sound meter on your phones to measure the sound level from 36" to the side?


Seems odd I'm getting 33db when Nicktx27 says he cannot hear his fans at all! This would be more like 20-24db


thanks for the help trying to figure out if my unit is defective.



This is very different from people that are telling me on the forums they cannot hear the fan when in use… but I can definitely hear it.
To be fair, mine is a brand new unit so that may have a lot to do with it.
Nicktx27 is online now  
post #9828 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
Member
 
fredxr2d2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
it is rated at 33db on Normal, 30db on Eco. I have a sneaky suspicion my unit is not really going into Eco mode. I look forward to hearing what DB rating you are getting on Eco. Thx for the help
I didn't get a chance to get a really accurate measurement last night, but hopefully someone else can try -- I may be busy for the next few days.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on:
BenQ W1070 1080P 3D DLP Projector, 82" 1.0 Gain Fixed Frame Screen, PS3, with Yamaha RX-V473, SVS PB-1000, a Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, and 4 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800s.
fredxr2d2 is online now  
post #9829 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
Make sure your not in high altitude mode. I use high altitude mode for more fan speed just for the hope of more lamp life. I think it is acceptable to me by myself but when I have company over I turn off the high altitude mode to lower the fan speed and noise. Can you turn it on and see what the increase in noise is?
Switching high altitude mode takes time for the fans to ramp up or down. It's not right away.
I'm not in HA mode - at least, I never put it in HA mode and it is not on in the menu. Maybe it is auto detecting I live in Denver ;-)

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

Livin is online now  
post #9830 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
hotjt133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia88 View Post
Make sure your not in high altitude mode. I use high altitude mode for more fan speed just for the hope of more lamp life.
Do you really think worth doing so? You're not only suffering more noise, but also wearing out the fans quicker. Lamp is not that expensive (<$100) and really easy to replace. A replacement fan would be hard to find, especially for the higher temperature tolerance version.
hotjt133 is offline  
post #9831 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Arcadia88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post
Do you really think worth doing so? You're not only suffering more noise, but also wearing out the fans quicker. Lamp is not that expensive (<$100) and really easy to replace. A replacement fan would be hard to find, especially for the higher temperature tolerance version.
Hmm you have a point there. My old benq 8720 was damn near silent when I first got it. But 8 years later and now it's a rattling noise machine. These fans do seem to wear out.
Arcadia88 is offline  
post #9832 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You should be able to replace the fan very inexpensively. Since it is no longer under warranty just fine in that fits and use it. Most fans are common sizes, so it should not be difficult to replace

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 65" 1080p display ... home theater coming soon!

Livin is online now  
post #9833 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
hotjt133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
As I posted above, I doubt you should use a general computer case fan to replace the projector fan. It is working in a much hotter environement. But there is hardly any temperature spec on a general fan. It would be a safe bet to buy the same fan Benq uses, but it is hard to find and could be expensive.

As for the lamp, there are plenty of original Osram deals on Aliexpress.

Last edited by hotjt133; Yesterday at 11:10 PM.
hotjt133 is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off