BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 329 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9841 of 9855 Old 08-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've always wondered why lens surrounds are often reflective silver, seems totally counterproductive. Just because it "looks cool"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9855 Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM

On a separate note, I've noticed something odd. I have a W1070 with a Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket mounted to a ceiling stud. I notice that when I fire up the cold projector, the image is always a little lower on my screen than it is by the time a film finishes and everything's warm. It moves about half an inch. I'm projecting a 119 inch diagonal 16:9 image from the max distance. Bizarre, frankly. The heat of the projector must be affecting the projector itself, the mount, or the ceiling drywall. Anyone experienced something similar?
post #9843 of 9855 Old 08-24-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone using a Harmony Ultimate? Please help... no matter what I do, the PJ won't turn off. I've tried what was suggested in this thread, but no luck. When I start an activity, the PJ powers on, but it won't power off. I've even gone into 'Devices' and tried 'PowerToggle', 'PowerOff' and 'PowerOn' and none do anything.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #9844 of 9855 Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Power off needs 2 clicks, so you need to program it as a sequence of 2 commands in a row.
post #9845 of 9855 Old 08-24-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo View Post
On a separate note, I've noticed something odd. I have a W1070 with a Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket mounted to a ceiling stud. I notice that when I fire up the cold projector, the image is always a little lower on my screen than it is by the time a film finishes and everything's warm. It moves about half an inch. I'm projecting a 119 inch diagonal 16:9 image from the max distance. Bizarre, frankly. The heat of the projector must be affecting the projector itself, the mount, or the ceiling drywall. Anyone experienced something similar?
That's really strange , I would think it has to be something internal, because the projector shouldn't be capable of putting off enough heat to warp the stud the mount is attached to , and even if it could , it wouldn't go back to the previous location. Might be something in the adjustment in the mount I suppose, maybe put a precision mark on the adjuster that works the direction of change and check it again once the projector is warmed up and the image has moved?
To add to the strange issues list , I had my PJ sitting on a stool right by my seating position for the first week and change of having it , was not bothered by the fan noise at all. I got my ceiling mount a couple days ago , mounted the unit , and now the fan is far more noticeable . I double checked the fan settings to see if I somehow switched to high altitude but thats not the case , everything is exactly the same , other than the PJ is upside down. Luckily its not TOO annoying when watching things , but I can't figure out why it would be , or seem louder.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #9846 of 9855 Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Agreed, I'm pretty sure it must be internal to the projector. That plastic creaking sound we all get as the projector expands under heat must be deforming it enough to shift the image a little. Which also suggests that others should be experiencing this.

Re your fan noise, I suspect the issue is that it's very directional, and you're now sitting in its path.
post #9847 of 9855 Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Agreed, I'm pretty sure it must be internal to the projector. That plastic creaking sound we all get as the projector expands under heat must be deforming it enough to shift the image a little. Which also suggests that others should be experiencing this.

Re your fan noise, I suspect the issue is that it's very directional, and you're now sitting in its path.
I don't think I'm experiencing the shift , but I'm projecting on a painted wall with no border , so I might not notice a subtle shift in height. I've experimented with moving around the room in case my noise issue was exactly what you mentioned , but it doesn't seem to be that I am now in the path of a noise source. the only option I haven't examined yet is placing a piece of carpet on the ceiling above the PJ . As when it was on the bench the floor below has rug and carpet , so maybe the bare ceiling is reflecting noise that was not getting reflected when it was closer to the floor. I'm also hoping the lack of ability to get uniform focus is because my wall is so wavy that the image is warping , might be picking up a Carada screen this week for a steal , if I can live with the frame almost touching the side walls, so that should tell me if I have to return for lens problem or not. If I do , I'll mention excessive fan noise so they check that too.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #9848 of 9855 Old 08-25-2014, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Agreed, I'm pretty sure it must be internal to the projector. That plastic creaking sound we all get as the projector expands under heat must be deforming it enough to shift the image a little. Which also suggests that others should be experiencing this
Perhaps the Lens Shift mechanism?
post #9849 of 9855 Old 08-25-2014, 11:01 PM

You can't get uniform focus, except perhaps when the projector is mounted close to the screen and zoomed out.

Lens shift might be moving as a function of temperature, but pretty odd. At least it's fairly subtle.
acras13 likes this.
post #9850 of 9855 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 140
ProjectorReviews has just awarded the BenQ W1070 its 2014 "best-in-class" award in the sub-$2000 price bracket.

Not a bad performance considering the projector is nearly two years old.
And that it's real-world pricing is only a little over a third of that bracket's maximum price.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/best...00-benq-w1070/

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9851 of 9855 Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
ProjectorReviews has just awarded the BenQ W1070 its 2014 "best-in-class" award in the sub-$2000 price bracket.

Not a bad performance considering the projector is nearly two years old.
And that it's real-world pricing is only a little over a third of that bracket's maximum price.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/best...00-benq-w1070/
Waiting until October to buy, but I still haven't found a better deal under $2000. I went in with a $1,500 budget, I'm more than a little shocked I'm going to come in so far under budget.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #9852 of 9855 Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
Waiting until October to buy, but I still haven't found a better deal under $2000. I went in with a $1,500 budget, I'm more than a little shocked I'm going to come in so far under budget.
It is certainly up to you (and your pocket book) but I wouldn't recommend just waiting around until October and then buying, I would watch the deals and sales and check the prices. You can even setup an account at CamelCamelCamel and be notified when the price drops.

I had planned to wait until I moved in October to buy it but I got such a good deal on a brand new one from Amazon in late May (around $650 including tax and shipping) that I just couldn't justify waiting a few months and then paying over $100 more.
post #9853 of 9855 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I get cash back from Amazon on my credit card in October, so there is the incentive. Of course, if something comes along that I can't pass up first I'll make the jump.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #9854 of 9855 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just wanted to add.. I have around 1800 hrs on my benq.. Still looks great. 120 screen. We use it to watch everything...we use it just like a req tv.

Scotty
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #9855 of 9855 Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a refurb, which ended up having a loud, chirping, fan... so the replacement arrived today - much quieter, no chirping. BUT, it looks like there might be a problem with it.

Please see the images of both screens with test patterns...
first photo = replacement PJ with the lower-right side seems to be slanting inward - definitely not a keystone issue.
second photo = original PJ, no such issue - very even rectangle all around.

This is a unfixable defect or something I can correct easily?

thx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0532.jpg (639.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0536.jpg (617.9 KB, 22 views)

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page