BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 333 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9961 of 9983 Old 09-10-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys! I'm in the process of buying my first house and plan to set up a small home theater in the basement. Already ordered the W1070 because of all the good feedback here. The room I'm using has a low ceiling (7.25 ft) so I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for a reasonably priced low profile ceiling mount? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9983 Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a great deal on a Chief C4504 mount on eBay ($17 with free shipping) and the holes line up perfectly for my W1070. The problem is that the mount was made for a projector that used smaller screws and so the screws that came with it don't fit and I will probably need to drill out the holes a little bit to make them bigger (no problem). What kind of screws do I need to screw into the ceiling mount holes on the bottom of the projector? Anyone have a link?

Also, I had the contractor who is building my house put some 2x6 boards in the approximate area where I plan to mount the projector so I have about an 18" by 18" square of "studs" so that it will be well secured to the ceiling wherever I put it. With this in mind, what type of screw should I use to attach the mount to the ceiling?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
post #9963 of 9983 Old 09-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
okay. PJ arrived today - but not the screen yet. So I placed it on a table, attached the Blu-ray player, loaded the Avengers and showed the movie on our wall.

PQ was fine. Colors fine. Sharpness fine. Black were okay.

But the picture was DIM! In the opening scene, I could barely make out what was going on. I bumped the lamp to normal, ensured the Blu-ray player was on 'direct' - but still dim. Even my wife mentioned this.

Either my expectations of lumens was unrealistic, or there is something wrong.

Day time scenes are fine. but anything even resembling dusk or night are very hard to watch.

I double checked the Blu-ray player and my HDMI cables by playing the movie on a small TV - which displayed enough brightness. So it can't be them.

Any ideas???

p.s. I can't seem to get the remote to work..maybe weak batteries?

You are born with a gift. Life is all about understanding, nurturing and sharing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9964 of 9983 Old 09-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Ambient light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirby View Post
okay. PJ arrived today - but not the screen yet. So I placed it on a table, attached the Blu-ray player, loaded the Avengers and showed the movie on our wall.

But the picture was DIM! In the opening scene, I could barely make out what was going on. I bumped the lamp to normal, ensured the Blu-ray player was on 'direct' - but still dim. Even my wife mentioned this.

Day time scenes are fine. but anything even resembling dusk or night are very hard to watch.

I double checked the Blu-ray player and my HDMI cables by playing the movie on a small TV - which displayed enough brightness. So it can't be them.

Any ideas???

What kind of ambient light do you have? If you have lights on or a window nearby without good curtains then it is going to look dim. If the room is dark there may be a problem with it, but maybe try it in SmartEco instead since it actually gets brighter than even Normal mode.
post #9965 of 9983 Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 151
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:

As chmcke01 says, ambient light will hammer the image; for projection your room needs to be relatively dark. (Night-time scenes will be most affected).
Projection won't compete in terms of brightness with a TV in ambient light...

Try this evening when it's darker and report back...

One other thing that might help:
In the 'Advanced' menu, go to 'HDMI Settings' and toggle the 'HDMI Format' menu item from 'auto' to its two other modes and see if that helps: it might've mis-detected your source.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9966 of 9983 Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
I got a great deal on a Chief C4504 mount on eBay ($17 with free shipping) and the holes line up perfectly for my W1070. The problem is that the mount was made for a projector that used smaller screws and so the screws that came with it don't fit and I will probably need to drill out the holes a little bit to make them bigger (no problem). What kind of screws do I need to screw into the ceiling mount holes on the bottom of the projector? Anyone have a link?

Also, I had the contractor who is building my house put some 2x6 boards in the approximate area where I plan to mount the projector so I have about an 18" by 18" square of "studs" so that it will be well secured to the ceiling wherever I put it. With this in mind, what type of screw should I use to attach the mount to the ceiling?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
I enlarged the matching holes in my Chief C4504 with an 1/8" bit, and used M4 x 16mm flat head screws ($0.98 for a 3-pack, HomeDepot) with the shortest spacers (?5mm) from the mount kit. Entire assembly (projector + mount) is light enough that a single pair of 1/4" x 3" lag screws into the rafters can easily support the weight.
post #9967 of 9983 Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
I have an elite 100 electric spectrum series and it's fine. Yes for the money $179 it will have some waves and imperfections. But when you are watching a movie with both the screen and benq all that does not matter. Simply puts a smile every time on my face. Then paired with my oppo 103d it's a great budget setup.
++ I also have the W1070, Oppo bdp-103d, Elite 100H electric spectrum screen combination & really love the resulting image. Screen is new enough that it doesn't have any visible waves - deformations are limited to a bit of curl in the black borders.

Biggest downside is that screen does sway, & causes some focus oscillation at the base; am considering mag dampers or a V-notch catch for the weight bar.
jamese777 likes this.
post #9968 of 9983 Old 09-11-2014, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone with this projector had previous experience with the Panasonic AE7000 or AE8000 3D projectors?
I'm specifically after comparisons between brightness in 3D mode and also judder (Panny's have frame interpolation to minimize this).
I remember having the Acer HD5360BD, rated at 2500L, and it seemed dimmer than my current Panny AE7000 (2000L) in 3D mode so I'm worried about brightness on the 2000L W1070. Are DLP's normally darker in 3D mode than LCD projectors?

Cheers
post #9969 of 9983 Old 09-11-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all. I used to follow this thread religiously after I bought my W1070, but it has grown so large that I haven't been keeping up on it the past few months. My problem is that I've started to hear the "rattling" periodically that I know others have talked about previously. I seem to recall it has something to do with the fan?

Can someone re-recommend possible fixes so I don't need to read through 10,000 posts? Or at least point me to a post #?

Thanks in advance!
post #9970 of 9983 Old 09-11-2014, 12:41 PM

Crickets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
Hi all. I used to follow this thread religiously after I bought my W1070, but it has grown so large that I haven't been keeping up on it the past few months. My problem is that I've started to hear the "rattling" periodically that I know others have talked about previously. I seem to recall it has something to do with the fan?

Can someone re-recommend possible fixes so I don't need to read through 10,000 posts? Or at least point me to a post #?

Thanks in advance!
If this is the same issue that others call the fan making "cricket" sounds then if you are under warranty you will probably need to get a replacement. Other than that I think the only fixes I have seen are to open up the projector and replace the fan.
jamese777 likes this.
post #9971 of 9983 Old 09-12-2014, 03:47 AM

So, just bought a w1070 to replace my epson 3010. The w1070 blows the epson out of the water on every aspect, and for the price, it is amazing picture quality. The 3d, even with cheaply G15 glasses is amazing. The only thing I have noticed though is a constant shaking of the picture, only by 1 or 2 mm, but when a static image is onscreen (ie PC or setup grip), it is rather noticeable. Has anyone had this issue ? I have emailed Benq, so will see what they say. Apart from that, def recommend the w1070
post #9972 of 9983 Old 09-12-2014, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 151
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomthundle View Post
So, just bought a w1070 to replace my epson 3010. The w1070 blows the epson out of the water on every aspect, and for the price, it is amazing picture quality. The 3d, even with cheaply G15 glasses is amazing. The only thing I have noticed though is a constant shaking of the picture, only by 1 or 2 mm, but when a static image is onscreen (ie PC or setup grip), it is rather noticeable. Has anyone had this issue ? I have emailed Benq, so will see what they say. Apart from that, def recommend the w1070

I had a similar thing and strangely, it turned out to be that the mount wasn't 100% secure to the ceiling (or more precisely, the mount's positioning screws were not 100% tightened). So the fans within the projector were actually vibrating it. Tightening the mount sorted it out.
So assuming you're seeing this even without a source connected (like in the projector menu - which would rule out your source device), it's very possible that this is the same issue you're having.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #9973 of 9983 Old 09-12-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Quote:

As chmcke01 says, ambient light will hammer the image; for projection your room needs to be relatively dark. (Night-time scenes will be most affected).
Projection won't compete in terms of brightness with a TV in ambient light...

Try this evening when it's darker and report back...

One other thing that might help:
In the 'Advanced' menu, go to 'HDMI Settings' and toggle the 'HDMI Format' menu item from 'auto' to its two other modes and see if that helps: it might've mis-detected your source.
Quote:

Any ideas???

Your remote is likely defective. They had a bad batch from factory. Call them with your pj serial number and they'll get you a new one in a jiffy.
post #9974 of 9983 Old 09-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really interested in getting this projector, but wanted a few opinions. I have a walk-out basement with a window and sliding glass door behind me on the couch. It's very shaded down there and gets very little light.

I was reading that it's recommended to have a projector of at least 2500 lumens if there's any ambient light. Is that really true?

I was hoping to use this for football, movies, weekly shows, etc because the 5.1 setup will be down there. I've never owned a projector. Do you find yourselves not turning it on to watch maybe an hour of TV? Should I keep my plasma as well, like some others are doing? Seems silly to buy a projector if you're not going to use it, but I don't know how long it takes to turn on, warm up, bulb life, etc.

I was going to paint the wall using http://www.projectorcentral.com/pain...Paint-the-Wall. I know people like the Elite screens, but they're almost $400 for a 120" screen! Painting the wall will be less than $100. Anyone have any strong opinions?

Lastly, what mounts do people like for this projector?
post #9975 of 9983 Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post
This topic has be brought up frequently. Almost all display devices I connected to the video card's HDMI port, by default, it will be 10%-15% over scan, which is really really crap. They basically squeeze a 1080p image into something like 9xx pixels and every pixel blurs. What's the manufacturers thinking for such a stupid idea?

The more correct way is not to say to set overscan on or off. It is misleading. More easily, I would say set it to 0%. In the ATI display driver, pull the sliding scale to the far right. Only this setting will give you 1:1 1080p pixel mapping.
To achieve 1:1 1080p pixel mapping:

Set ATI/AMD display driver to 0% overscan (all the way to the right).
Set overscan on projector to 0.

Is this correct? For some reason it seems like the projected image has underscan as there is a big border (empty light from the projector where the image should stretch to fit) around all 4 sides. Setting the projector background color to blue when there is no signal, I can clearly see that the projected image is much smaller than the "blue" when there is no signal.
post #9976 of 9983 Old 09-13-2014, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstewar View Post
I'm really interested in getting this projector, but wanted a few opinions. I have a walk-out basement with a window and sliding glass door behind me on the couch. It's very shaded down there and gets very little light.

I was reading that it's recommended to have a projector of at least 2500 lumens if there's any ambient light. Is that really true?

I was hoping to use this for football, movies, weekly shows, etc because the 5.1 setup will be down there. I've never owned a projector. Do you find yourselves not turning it on to watch maybe an hour of TV? Should I keep my plasma as well, like some others are doing? Seems silly to buy a projector if you're not going to use it, but I don't know how long it takes to turn on, warm up, bulb life, etc.

I was going to paint the wall using http://www.projectorcentral.com/pain...Paint-the-Wall. I know people like the Elite screens, but they're almost $400 for a 120" screen! Painting the wall will be less than $100. Anyone have any strong opinions?

If you are anticipating daytime use without blackout curtains, don't go with a projector. Think of it this way: the white of your screen is the blackest black your projector can project, because your projector cannot project blackness, it can simply not project light to some part of the screen, which is what makes it black. So if your room is dark enough that that screen looks pretty dark, great. If not, you're going to have washed out blacks and poor image quality. This way of thinking about the issue exaggerates the problem a bit, because your eye will be fooled by the bright parts an image to think the less bright parts are blacker, but the basic principle holds, unless you have a boutique, super pricey screen designed to function in the presence of ambient light (and that will have its own tradeoffs, in addition to cost).

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
post #9977 of 9983 Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 PM

Thanks for reply - Yes, it must be same issue, because when I try it on a table, the problem is gone. The mount is as tight as it goes, but it's cheap, and the adjustment parts move no matter how tight the screws are. So I will need to buy a decent ceiling mount - serves me right I guess !
post #9978 of 9983 Old 09-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Aspect ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
To achieve 1:1 1080p pixel mapping:

Set ATI/AMD display driver to 0% overscan (all the way to the right).
Set overscan on projector to 0.

Is this correct? For some reason it seems like the projected image has underscan as there is a big border (empty light from the projector where the image should stretch to fit) around all 4 sides. Setting the projector background color to blue when there is no signal, I can clearly see that the projected image is much smaller than the "blue" when there is no signal.
I had the same problem and it turned out the aspect ratio was set to "Real" on the projector (hit Menu then right twice and you will see Aspect Ratio), I set it to "Auto" and that fixed it.

Last edited by chmcke01; 09-14-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Typo
post #9979 of 9983 Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstewar View Post

I use this projector during the daytime with ambient light. Ambient light is more of a problem with projectors than it is with flatscreen tv's for sure but I think a lot of people exaggerate the issue. Generally if I'm using it during the day I just close the shades partially. There is still ambient light, plenty to hang out, see what you're doing, etc. but the image is plenty bright enough to see also. I have a 120" screen and I generally use "smart eco" mode if that helps. Some people may demand a completely blacked out room for using a projector as that gives absolutely the best quality, but I find for just normal tv watching dimming things a bit is perfectly fine. From what it sounds like, if your room is shaded, I think you will have no problem with a projector.

I use the projector as my main tv, I watch news, shows, movies, whatever. Yes there is a startup delay but it's nothing major, maybe 15 seconds or so but I haven't actually timed it. Bulb life for the W1070 is rated at 6,000 hours if you run it in "smart eco" mode, which is what I do. You can do the math, at 5 hours a day of tv watching, every single day, it will be over 3 years before you need to replace the bulb, and bulbs run around $100-$200 depending where you buy them. For me this is no problem. I am not worried about using the projector as a tv, knowing that I will have to replace the bulb in a few years, because the cost is not particularly significant. I really like using a projector and the small cost of bulbs is well worth it to me for the enjoyment I get. I know other people feel differently and try to moderate usage to "save" their bulbs, but for me that sort of defeats the whole purpose of buying something nice like this. If you're going to buy it might as well use it.

As for screens, I used the W1070 for a year just projecting onto a white wall. I finally built a screen and was expecting a big improvement but it's not much different from just a white wall. So if you're not sure about screens and you have a white wall you could just try that for awhile. For my screen I bought Carls' blackout cloth on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Carls-Blackout...creen+material And I built a frame from wood I got at the hardware store. Total cost was about $50 and it took a few hours of work. I like the way the screen looks, very low profile, not intrusive at all.

For the mount I used a generic one from Amazon, this one here: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Proj...rojector+mount
The mount works perfectly fine once I got everything set up, but it was a little difficult adjusting things. I have a feeling more expensive mounts might be a little easier to adjust. This one you have to basically push things into position and tighten down screws. Hope this helps!
bgstewar likes this.
post #9980 of 9983 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 465
peerless mount is worth its weight in gold for fine tuning

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9981 of 9983 Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
fyi. calibrated the PJ, looks much better now... pretty good PQ.
Remote is definitely defective. Called Benq and they will be shipping me a new one.
Pretty blown away from the PQ from a $700 PJ. Just insane.
I also would never consider getting a less lumens pj. This is about as dim as I want it - definitely watchable, but have be spoiled by watching my LCD TV and its brightness

Screen to be installed on the 26th. Will report back on how that goes.

You are born with a gift. Life is all about understanding, nurturing and sharing it.

post #9982 of 9983 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

thanks so much for the information! that was exactly what I was hoping to hear! Very helpful post - thanks for taking the time to write it.
post #9983 of 9983 Old Today, 06:41 AM

Hey guys, I have a question about placement. My couch is 13' away from the wall/screen and it butts up against a back wall. Looks like I'm going to have to hang the projector right above our heads. Will this be an issue with fan nose/light?

I also have the air return in front of the projector location. It will have to hang down at least 6". Any mount suggestions for that scenario?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page