BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 338 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10111 of 10139 Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
What 3D DLP Link glasses are you using?
I bought the Sainsonic ones first, and while they were very nice, I detected some red flash (DLP Link syncing mechanism) through the glasses.

I then read this thread:
Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses

Which has 900 replies specifically about glasses for the W1070, and I bought a pair of the EStar glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were better. So, I bought another pair of them.

The thread I linked to details some cheaper glasses which work very well, but if I were buying for the family, I would try to get 4 sets of the EStar glasses.

These are the cheap ones which are reported to do a good job. I have not ordered any or tried them personally:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G15-DLP-3D-A...item2c8ccaa5d4

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10139 Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just got some EStars. Along with the EStars I own two other brands that work fine, but the EStars are my new favorites. Very light, very clear picture. The lenses are pretty reflective so you might, say, see the lights from any equipment behind you mirrored in them, but I'm still very happy I bought them.
post #10113 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 3dtv corp 3d glasses that I bought from amazon and I don't have any issues.
post #10114 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
as a new owner of the W1070 i have a couple questions:

has anyone on here tried this projector with the Darbee?

is there any maintenance needed? do you occasionally vacuum the vents?
post #10115 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Liked: 0
Hey AVS! Is there any way to connect a Chromecast to the BenQ W1070 without having to plug it into a power outlet? Would it be able to work with the mini-b port? Thanks
post #10116 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

You Tube - BenQ W1070 + Darbee

There is a guy who has a few videos of his Benq w1070 + Darbee
post #10117 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I did. It seemed to enhance detail in some instances, but then looked artificial in others--made actors look like they were wearing pancake makeup, for instance. I returned mine. I posted a slightly more detailed review in the darbee thread if you want to look for it.
post #10118 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Vacuuming?

I have read some people recommend vacuuming the vents (but NOT using canned air!). Anyway, would it be best to vacuum it when it is turned off or on...or does it even really matter?
post #10119 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
I bought the Sainsonic ones first, and while they were very nice, I detected some red flash (DLP Link syncing mechanism) through the glasses.

I then read this thread:
Benq W1070 144Hz Compatible DLP-LINK 3D Glasses

Which has 900 replies specifically about glasses for the W1070, and I bought a pair of the EStar glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They were better. So, I bought another pair of them.

The thread I linked to details some cheaper glasses which work very well, but if I were buying for the family, I would try to get 4 sets of the EStar glasses.

These are the cheap ones which are reported to do a good job. I have not ordered any or tried them personally:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G15-DLP-3D-A...item2c8ccaa5d4

Thanks!
post #10120 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hey guys. Been wanting to get back into front projection for years (my last PJ was a Sanyo Z3) and soon I'm going to be able to!! I really want to go with the 1070 as I've read so many great things for so long. We found a house and I went to do some measurements today. So I have 2 options, I can convert the den into my HT but it's going to require a bit of work and may not even be possible. The other option is a 3rd bedroom which is spacious enough but I would like to keep it a bedroom and will only convert it as a last resort. Here's my den dilemma. The attached picture is a profile view of what the room is like. The ceiling slopes down about 2 feet in the area where the couch would sit. The projector would be about 10' away for 120" image. What I'm trying to figure out is if the ceiling drop plus the ceiling mount would cause the image to be way too low to project at an even height. I know the image starts in the center of the lens and drops when the 1070 is upside down. What I don't know is if the vertical correction is limited enough that it wouldn't help me here. Any help is much appreciated. Oh, another option would be the short throw version if this projector, but I have a toddler and I'd like to keep cables off the ground. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Projection.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	304338  
post #10121 of 10139 Old 10-10-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

My Oppo has Darbee built in.

I haven't done any maintenance yet, if I notice it is dusty I would probably vacuum it.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #10122 of 10139 Old 10-11-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I don't have a W1070, but I have used my Darbee with several other projectors (Acer, Optoma) and it works quite well. You want to calibrate your PJ with Darbee off first, then turn Darbee on and find the setting that works best for you. I have never been a fan of over sharpened images and traditional edge enhancement, but the Darbee, on more mild settings, really enhances the picture without causing the side effects.
post #10123 of 10139 Old 10-13-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle Shepard View Post
Hey guys. Been wanting to get back into front projection for years (my last PJ was a Sanyo Z3) and soon I'm going to be able to!! I really want to go with the 1070 as I've read so many great things for so long. We found a house and I went to do some measurements today. So I have 2 options, I can convert the den into my HT but it's going to require a bit of work and may not even be possible. The other option is a 3rd bedroom which is spacious enough but I would like to keep it a bedroom and will only convert it as a last resort. Here's my den dilemma. The attached picture is a profile view of what the room is like. The ceiling slopes down about 2 feet in the area where the couch would sit. The projector would be about 10' away for 120" image. What I'm trying to figure out is if the ceiling drop plus the ceiling mount would cause the image to be way too low to project at an even height. I know the image starts in the center of the lens and drops when the 1070 is upside down. What I don't know is if the vertical correction is limited enough that it wouldn't help me here. Any help is much appreciated. Oh, another option would be the short throw version if this projector, but I have a toddler and I'd like to keep cables off the ground. Thanks!
The lens must be about 2" above the top of the screen. So, if (after mounted) the center of the lens is 6" from your ceiling, that puts it about 6'6" from your floor, which puts the top of your screen 6'4" from the floor. With a 120" diagonal screen (about 5' tall), the bottom edge of the projected image would be about 10" from the floor.

If that's to low, you could look at the Epson 3000 which has lens shift and could have the image a good deal higher and is adjustable with a lot more lens shift (full image could be above to below the lens or anywhere between) and should look reasonably good. Not W1070 good, but still should be quite respectably good.

Or, you could go with the W1080ST and move the projector into the other part of the room and drop it down on a pole, which may not be acceptable, but would work.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #10124 of 10139 Old 10-13-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Integrated, I can't quote you from my phone but thank you. We decided to use a bedroom as the den space has so much going against it. The room isn't perfect but lacks about 3 obstacles that the den has.
post #10125 of 10139 Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Hey guys have the w1080st and I am about to hit the 1 year mark and have been loving my projector for gaming and movie watching. I literally use it as a TV replacement and so I have reached 2200 hours in 1 year. Lots of times I use eco blank mode since i will be stepping out for a bit but dont want to turn it off completely since I heard it was bad for the projector.

I have just noticed the right side is slightly more darker than the left side and I am talking about while watching anything. I know about the uniformity when there is a white screen or web surfing and it never bother me it was not that bad.

The dimmer side can even be noticed when I put all black screen like the right side has slightly better black level sort of way. I can tune it out myself and nobody else notices when watching anything but I am wondering is this just an aging bulb?

If I replace the bulb will it be back to new or this is something wrong on projector. Would like to know this is my first projector and loving the performance.

Thanks in advance.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #10126 of 10139 Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hey guys, really enjoying my w1070 so far (I've found AV_Integrated is a great source of info regarding projectors). I was wondering what the general consensus on lamp life is. I talked to a guy at BenQ and he was absolutely clueless. I've heard the average seems to be 3500 hours at full power, 6000 hours in smart eco mode (with variations in either direction of course, lamps being fickle like all electronics). Is that more or less what most people get out of it? Also, I'm confused about something.......I've been running the projector in eco mode thinking I'd save the most power and extend lamp life that way (I mostly use it for movies and PS4 games), but a look at the manual says that running the lamp in SmartEco mode consumes 70% less lamp power as opposed to 30% in eco. Should I be running my projector in SmartEco if I want to extend lamp life to it's maximum? I'd think full eco mode would extend lamp life the most......right? I'd like to get as much mileage outta the lamp as possible.

Oh, one last thing.......I've read a bit about the 'chirping' caused by SmartEco, and that the lamp life difference between eco and SmartEco isn't worth it. Accurate? Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by jmphipps0428; 10-15-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #10127 of 10139 Old 10-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Run it in economy mode smart eco just runs as bright as normal for me no matter what and uses eco mode fan speed and I believe that can cause issues from earlier users but I have not kept up if new update got rid of it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: FELONY 301

PSN ID: FELONY--301

No problem adding people...
post #10128 of 10139 Old 10-16-2014, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello all,

This is my first post here. Two weeks ago I wasn't even considering a projection home theater. Saw one, caught the bug, found this forum, and you know how the rest of it goes - many hours spent reading threads, looking at specs, measuring the room....heck, I woke up at 3am the night before last and started thinking about it . Anyway, this site is a fantastic resource.

I do have a question, and despite some searching I haven't found an answer. I'm very interested in the W1070. I've been to the BenQ site and I've plugged measurements into their calculator. According to their calculator it looks like with an 8'6" throw I'll be able to get a 101" diagonal image, which seems perfect for the room. However, when I use the Projector Central calculator and I plug in the same measurements it tells me I can only get 90".

That's quite a difference. Obviously I'm a newbie at this so if I'm missing something obvious please forgive me....but why am I seeing such a big difference between these two calculators?

Thanks in advance for any comments, advice, or opinions - and thanks to the forum admins for allowing this site to exist. It's cool .
post #10129 of 10139 Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 AM

Like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmphipps0428 View Post
Hey guys, really enjoying my w1070 so far (I've found AV_Integrated is a great source of info regarding projectors). I was wondering what the general consensus on lamp life is. I talked to a guy at BenQ and he was absolutely clueless. I've heard the average seems to be 3500 hours at full power, 6000 hours in smart eco mode (with variations in either direction of course, lamps being fickle like all electronics). Is that more or less what most people get out of it? Also, I'm confused about something.......I've been running the projector in eco mode thinking I'd save the most power and extend lamp life that way (I mostly use it for movies and PS4 games), but a look at the manual says that running the lamp in SmartEco mode consumes 70% less lamp power as opposed to 30% in eco. Should I be running my projector in SmartEco if I want to extend lamp life to it's maximum? I'd think full eco mode would extend lamp life the most......right? I'd like to get as much mileage outta the lamp as possible.

Oh, one last thing.......I've read a bit about the 'chirping' caused by SmartEco, and that the lamp life difference between eco and SmartEco isn't worth it. Accurate? Any advice is appreciated!
Well I only have about 1500 hours on my bulb but I tried out the different settings for the first week hundred hours or so but decided I liked SmartEco best and have stayed on that ever since. I do notice it get brighter for scenes that benefit from being brighter and darker for scenes that don't need the extra brightness. I have had zero problems so far and plan to keep it in SmartEco unless the bulb dies early. If the bulb dies before 4000 hours I will definitely switch to Eco, if it dies after 4000 hours but before 5000 hours it could go either way, but if it lasts 5000+ hours as rated then I will definitely stick with SmartEco.

I will make sure to post how it held up when the bulb does die.
post #10130 of 10139 Old 10-16-2014, 04:43 AM

Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz fretwear View Post
Hello all,

This is my first post here. Two weeks ago I wasn't even considering a projection home theater. Saw one, caught the bug, found this forum, and you know how the rest of it goes - many hours spent reading threads, looking at specs, measuring the room....heck, I woke up at 3am the night before last and started thinking about it . Anyway, this site is a fantastic resource.

I do have a question, and despite some searching I haven't found an answer. I'm very interested in the W1070. I've been to the BenQ site and I've plugged measurements into their calculator. According to their calculator it looks like with an 8'6" throw I'll be able to get a 101" diagonal image, which seems perfect for the room. However, when I use the Projector Central calculator and I plug in the same measurements it tells me I can only get 90".

That's quite a difference. Obviously I'm a newbie at this so if I'm missing something obvious please forgive me....but why am I seeing such a big difference between these two calculators?

Thanks in advance for any comments, advice, or opinions - and thanks to the forum admins for allowing this site to exist. It's cool .
The 90" is with the zoom in the middle and the 102" is with the maximum zoom. At 8'6" with no zoom would yield a 78" screen, zoomed all the way would yield a 102" screen (this zoom does not degrade quality, at least not to my eyes). So using zoom you can do anything in that range.
post #10131 of 10139 Old 10-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz fretwear View Post
Hello all,

Welcome to the obsession Buzz
What chmcke01 says is absolutely correct but for me having a little wiggle room is always good thing. If I was going for a 101 inch screen and you have room to install the PJ about a foot further back (around 9'-6") that would put you right in the middle of the range.
buzz fretwear likes this.
post #10132 of 10139 Old 10-18-2014, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Hi guys,
trying to mount my w1070 and had a question.
I have a basement window close to the ceiling because of which I would end up having to project under the window.
the window is 20in high, however my mount gives me like 7inches fall.
I would have to tilt the projector downwards to move the image down and then probably adjust the keystone.
My question is, would that cause any difference in the quality of the image?

would appreciate any help.
post #10133 of 10139 Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Hi guys,
trying to mount my w1070 and had a question.
I have a basement window close to the ceiling because of which I would end up having to project under the window.
the window is 20in high, however my mount gives me like 7inches fall.
I would have to tilt the projector downwards to move the image down and then probably adjust the keystone.
My question is, would that cause any difference in the quality of the image?

would appreciate any help.
Yes, using the keystone will deteriorate image quality. How much depends on how far you tilt it and whether or not it is acceptable is up to you. However, in my opinion tilting downward enough to clear the last 13 inches of the window would cause the quality to drop more than I would be able to handle.

If I was in your place I would look into buying or making an extension pole to allow you to lower the projector further...if that isn't possible I would just buy a different mount.
post #10134 of 10139 Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Thanks chmcke01 for the response.
The mount does come with the extension however, the extension brings the projector down quite a bit and it would come down to my head level if I stand.
I guess I can see if I can cut the extension pole enough to avoid tilting,..
post #10135 of 10139 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulp001 View Post
Thanks chmcke01 for the response.
The mount does come with the extension however, the extension brings the projector down quite a bit and it would come down to my head level if I stand.
I guess I can see if I can cut the extension pole enough to avoid tilting,..
I used a peerless mount that has an adjustable extension every few inches. I used it with my setup so I could lower the screen down some while not having to use keystone. I have 8' ceilings and a 106" Da-Lite screen, projector is about 11' from the screen. Works out quite nice. I had adjusted it several times before I got it right. I stand 6'2 and its about 6 inches above my head so I'm not bumping into anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	319482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	319490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	319498  
post #10136 of 10139 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I started getting worried that the W1070 inventories were about to run out so today I jumped on the Bandwagon and picked up the W1070 in the Visual Apex bundle with a mount and 120" fixed screen, 35 ft cable, IR link and universal remote for less than $1100 shipped.
We moved a few months ago and the buyer of our home wanted the projector, screen and my M&K speakers in my theater so it has become time to rebuild. Fortunately I was able to replace the M&Ks with a sweet deal on the local Bay Area Craigslist and since I really like the picture on the DLPs so the 1070 looked like a great deal compared to a couple hundred more for the new W1075. Based on favorable comments the money I am saving is going to go for a Darblet. Now I just need the time to put it all together.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
post #10137 of 10139 Old Today, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleS View Post
I started getting worried that the W1070 inventories were about to run out so today I jumped on the Bandwagon and picked up the W1070 in the Visual Apex bundle with a mount and 120" fixed screen, 35 ft cable, IR link and universal remote for less than $1100 shipped.
We moved a few months ago and the buyer of our home wanted the projector, screen and my M&K speakers in my theater so it has become time to rebuild. Fortunately I was able to replace the M&Ks with a sweet deal on the local Bay Area Craigslist and since I really like the picture on the DLPs so the 1070 looked like a great deal compared to a couple hundred more for the new W1075. Based on favorable comments the money I am saving is going to go for a Darblet. Now I just need the time to put it all together.
I got the electric screen with the W1070. The value of this system is insane. I am so happy with the image right now, I am in no rush to get a darblet. I would really wait until you have everything set up and see how you like it before you get too excited about the darbee.
post #10138 of 10139 Old Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
That is pretty much what I figured on doing with regard to the Darblet as it will be a couple months before I am setup. I will need to assemble the VA screen right away as any defects need to be identified within 7 days. My previous screen was a 92" Stewart Tab tensioned electric but in the new home, I can go with a 120" fixed screen which is a lot less expensive. The VA screens had good reviews and I am still blown away at the final price on the W1070. Thanks for your comments.

"So many tweeks....So little time!"
post #10139 of 10139 Old Today, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 65
For those of you who use a PS4 with this projector I have a question: When you have the HDMI setting on Full RGB on the Playstation - what setting does it need to match that on the Benq? Would you have to set your Benq to "PC" on the HDMI level setting?

Does the "Auto" black level setting make the effective black level actually be set at "Low" or "Limited" therefore crushing blacks unless you put the PS4 on Limited RGB to match (instead of Full/Auto)?

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page