BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 339 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10141 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmphipps0428 View Post
Hey guys, really enjoying my w1070 so far (I've found AV_Integrated is a great source of info regarding projectors). I was wondering what the general consensus on lamp life is. I talked to a guy at BenQ and he was absolutely clueless. I've heard the average seems to be 3500 hours at full power, 6000 hours in smart eco mode (with variations in either direction of course, lamps being fickle like all electronics). Is that more or less what most people get out of it? Also, I'm confused about something.......I've been running the projector in eco mode thinking I'd save the most power and extend lamp life that way (I mostly use it for movies and PS4 games), but a look at the manual says that running the lamp in SmartEco mode consumes 70% less lamp power as opposed to 30% in eco. Should I be running my projector in SmartEco if I want to extend lamp life to it's maximum? I'd think full eco mode would extend lamp life the most......right? I'd like to get as much mileage outta the lamp as possible.

Oh, one last thing.......I've read a bit about the 'chirping' caused by SmartEco, and that the lamp life difference between eco and SmartEco isn't worth it. Accurate? Any advice is appreciated!
Smart Eco is worth it, both for black levels and for bulb life.

Replacement bulbs can be bought for 80 bucks online and I'm at 4000 hours so far after two years of using it as my primary display on my PC, and trust me Smart Eco is light years better than both Eco and Normal. It's a performance feature, since when the signal is dimmer it dims the brightness automatically to suit it.

As to the other comment about Smart Eco not working, that person has a busted projector or something. It works, and it's one of the best features of this projector.

Don't use Eco, it sucks. Watch the heck out of the projector. Bulbs are cheap. Enjoy!
kreeturez likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10142 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 163
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
For those of you who use a PS4 with this projector I have a question: When you have the HDMI setting on Full RGB on the Playstation - what setting does it need to match that on the Benq? Would you have to set your Benq to "PC" on the HDMI level setting?

Does the "Auto" black level setting make the effective black level actually be set at "Low" or "Limited" therefore crushing blacks unless you put the PS4 on Limited RGB to match (instead of Full/Auto)?

Yup, you'd choose 'PC' to match the PS if you enable that setting on the PS.

Auto seems to default to limited.

Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'PC' refers to full range (0-255).
Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'Video' refers to limited-range (16-235). Usually this is the mode that Auto defaults to.

Getting it mismatched causes even the standard PS menu (at least on the PS3) to appear either washed out or too dim.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; Yesterday at 02:16 PM.
post #10143 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 163
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Replacement bulbs can be bought for 80 bucks online and I'm at 4000 hours so far after two years of using it as my primary display on my PC, and trust me Smart Eco is light years better than both Eco and Normal. It's a performance feature, since when the signal is dimmer it dims the brightness automatically to suit it.

Kinda like a dynamic iris without the audible noise
Agreed: as long as the occasional dimming is unnoticeable (or noticeable but not irritating), it's a good mode to be in: full brightness coupled with long lamp life. Win.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; Yesterday at 12:28 PM.
post #10144 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Yup, you'd choose 'PC' to match the PS if you enable that setting on the PS.

Auto seems to default to limited.

Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'PC' refers to full range (0-255).
Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'Video' refers to limited-range (16-235). Usually this is the mode that Auto defaults to.

Getting it mismatched causes even the standard PS menu (at least on the PS3) to appear either washed out or too dim.
Thanks a bunch. I've got the Benq set to Auto (Low) now and the PS4 to Limited to match. I tried it the other way but didn't like having to turn the proj back from PC mode when I wanted to use another device such as the Wii U which only outputs at Limited.

I hear this setting does not affect bluray playback as it is not using RGB range

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #10145 of 10145 Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

As to the other comment about Smart Eco not working, that person has a busted projector or something. It works, and it's one of the best features of this projector.

Don't use Eco, it sucks. Watch the heck out of the projector. Bulbs are cheap. Enjoy!
Care to post a link to the $80 replacement bulb?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page