BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 339 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10141 of 10154 Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmphipps0428 View Post
Hey guys, really enjoying my w1070 so far (I've found AV_Integrated is a great source of info regarding projectors). I was wondering what the general consensus on lamp life is. I talked to a guy at BenQ and he was absolutely clueless. I've heard the average seems to be 3500 hours at full power, 6000 hours in smart eco mode (with variations in either direction of course, lamps being fickle like all electronics). Is that more or less what most people get out of it? Also, I'm confused about something.......I've been running the projector in eco mode thinking I'd save the most power and extend lamp life that way (I mostly use it for movies and PS4 games), but a look at the manual says that running the lamp in SmartEco mode consumes 70% less lamp power as opposed to 30% in eco. Should I be running my projector in SmartEco if I want to extend lamp life to it's maximum? I'd think full eco mode would extend lamp life the most......right? I'd like to get as much mileage outta the lamp as possible.

Oh, one last thing.......I've read a bit about the 'chirping' caused by SmartEco, and that the lamp life difference between eco and SmartEco isn't worth it. Accurate? Any advice is appreciated!
Smart Eco is worth it, both for black levels and for bulb life.

Replacement bulbs can be bought for 80 bucks online and I'm at 4000 hours so far after two years of using it as my primary display on my PC, and trust me Smart Eco is light years better than both Eco and Normal. It's a performance feature, since when the signal is dimmer it dims the brightness automatically to suit it.

As to the other comment about Smart Eco not working, that person has a busted projector or something. It works, and it's one of the best features of this projector.

Don't use Eco, it sucks. Watch the heck out of the projector. Bulbs are cheap. Enjoy!
kreeturez likes this.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10142 of 10154 Old 10-21-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 164
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
For those of you who use a PS4 with this projector I have a question: When you have the HDMI setting on Full RGB on the Playstation - what setting does it need to match that on the Benq? Would you have to set your Benq to "PC" on the HDMI level setting?

Does the "Auto" black level setting make the effective black level actually be set at "Low" or "Limited" therefore crushing blacks unless you put the PS4 on Limited RGB to match (instead of Full/Auto)?


Yup, you'd choose 'PC' to match the PS if you enable that setting on the PS.

Auto seems to default to limited.

Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'PC' refers to full range (0-255).
Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'Video' refers to limited-range (16-235). Usually this is the mode that Auto defaults to.

Getting it mismatched causes even the standard PS menu (at least on the PS3) to appear either washed out or too dim.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 10-21-2014 at 02:16 PM.
kreeturez is offline  
post #10143 of 10154 Old 10-21-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
kreeturez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 164
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Smart Eco is worth it, both for black levels and for bulb life.



Replacement bulbs can be bought for 80 bucks online and I'm at 4000 hours so far after two years of using it as my primary display on my PC, and trust me Smart Eco is light years better than both Eco and Normal. It's a performance feature, since when the signal is dimmer it dims the brightness automatically to suit it.



Kinda like a dynamic iris without the audible noise
Agreed: as long as the occasional dimming is unnoticeable (or noticeable but not irritating), it's a good mode to be in: full brightness coupled with long lamp life. Win.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 10-21-2014 at 12:28 PM.
kreeturez is offline  
post #10144 of 10154 Old 10-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
gamermwm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: OK, USA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post
Yup, you'd choose 'PC' to match the PS if you enable that setting on the PS.

Auto seems to default to limited.

Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'PC' refers to full range (0-255).
Setting the HDMI Mode on the projector to 'Video' refers to limited-range (16-235). Usually this is the mode that Auto defaults to.

Getting it mismatched causes even the standard PS menu (at least on the PS3) to appear either washed out or too dim.
Thanks a bunch. I've got the Benq set to Auto (Low) now and the PS4 to Limited to match. I tried it the other way but didn't like having to turn the proj back from PC mode when I wanted to use another device such as the Wii U which only outputs at Limited.

I hear this setting does not affect bluray playback as it is not using RGB range

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
gamermwm is online now  
post #10145 of 10154 Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Smart Eco is worth it, both for black levels and for bulb life.

Replacement bulbs can be bought for 80 bucks online and I'm at 4000 hours so far after two years of using it as my primary display on my PC, and trust me Smart Eco is light years better than both Eco and Normal. It's a performance feature, since when the signal is dimmer it dims the brightness automatically to suit it.

As to the other comment about Smart Eco not working, that person has a busted projector or something. It works, and it's one of the best features of this projector.

Don't use Eco, it sucks. Watch the heck out of the projector. Bulbs are cheap. Enjoy!
Care to post a link to the $80 replacement bulb?
chmcke01 is offline  
post #10146 of 10154 Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Member
 
rolling01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmcke01 View Post
Care to post a link to the $80 replacement bulb?



http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Origi...l_target_url=y
Daniel Chaves likes this.
rolling01 is offline  
post #10147 of 10154 Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM
Member
 
rolling01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Some bulb discussion here.


Bare Bulb replacemnet for Benq W1070
rolling01 is offline  
post #10148 of 10154 Old Yesterday, 09:25 AM
Member
 
Crestwood1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NEPA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Question for everyone, after doing all the math with my room and wall, I am going with a 100" inch screen (THX recommended size is 89" so it will be plenty large from my seating position at 11.5 feet back). Currently I have the screen masked out at 1 foot from the ceiling and it looks just about perfect, if not just a hair high. I am wondering what level the bottom of the screen should hold relative to the seating position? Right now the screen to floor is at 3'2" which when sitting back in the seating is almost level with your eyes if not a hair lower... should i drop the screen down a little bit more, say 6 inches so that it is 2'8" from the floor and a few inches lower then eye level from seating? Reason I hold off on doing this is my ceiling height is 8.25 feet and the projector, with the top of the screen 1 foot from the ceiling is showing at 9 inches off the ceiling via the benq calculator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Projector measurments.png
Views:	39
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	326930  
Crestwood1001 is offline  
post #10149 of 10154 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a problem with a square picture out my BenQ 1070w. The test pattern shows the grid sloping up at the bottom and top, I hope the picture does my question justice... I've changed every setting on the menu and projector body and the slant/slope hasn't gone away;is this a problem with the lens?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8767.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	326994  
Jeff Scheider is offline  
post #10150 of 10154 Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM
Member
 
Crestwood1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NEPA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Looks like key-stoning? Do you have any keystone enabled in the menu?
Crestwood1001 is offline  
post #10151 of 10154 Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Member
 
voodoo2crue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
Question for everyone, after doing all the math with my room and wall, I am going with a 100" inch screen (THX recommended size is 89" so it will be plenty large from my seating position at 11.5 feet back). Currently I have the screen masked out at 1 foot from the ceiling and it looks just about perfect, if not just a hair high. I am wondering what level the bottom of the screen should hold relative to the seating position? Right now the screen to floor is at 3'2" which when sitting back in the seating is almost level with your eyes if not a hair lower... should i drop the screen down a little bit more, say 6 inches so that it is 2'8" from the floor and a few inches lower then eye level from seating? Reason I hold off on doing this is my ceiling height is 8.25 feet and the projector, with the top of the screen 1 foot from the ceiling is showing at 9 inches off the ceiling via the benq calculator.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...r/hdtv-set-up/
voodoo2crue is offline  
post #10152 of 10154 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Senior Member
 
niccolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Smart Eco is worth it, both for black levels and for bulb life.

Replacement bulbs can be bought for 80 bucks online and I'm at 4000 hours so far after two years of using it as my primary display on my PC, and trust me Smart Eco is light years better than both Eco and Normal. It's a performance feature, since when the signal is dimmer it dims the brightness automatically to suit it.

As to the other comment about Smart Eco not working, that person has a busted projector or something. It works, and it's one of the best features of this projector.

Don't use Eco, it sucks. Watch the heck out of the projector. Bulbs are cheap. Enjoy!
Eco sucks? My impression was many users in light controlled rooms were using Eco, precisely because this projector is a light cannon and no, brighter is not always better. Are you suggesting Smart Eco somehow has better black levels than Eco (how?) or just that you like the brightness in brighter scenes?

Benq W1070 projector w/ Chief RSM mount with custom interface bracket
119" Da-Lite Cinema Contour with High-Contrast (gray) Da-Mat screen
Denon X2000 receiver fed by Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Bluray player
Focal Chorus 700-series towers and center, JMLab Tantal 500-series bookshelf rears
Rythmik FV15HP sub
niccolo is offline  
post #10153 of 10154 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 154
All I know is that Eco and Normal both lose out on the dynamic "iris"-like behavior that greatly increases the apparent contrast of the projector. In dark rooms you can always lower brightness or raise gamma, or install an ND2/4 filter for 5 dollars and get the best of both worlds, lower overall brightness as well as a greater luminance range that enhances (temporal) contrast.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #10154 of 10154 Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 861
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scheider View Post
I have a problem with a square picture out my BenQ 1070w. The test pattern shows the grid sloping up at the bottom and top, I hope the picture does my question justice... I've changed every setting on the menu and projector body and the slant/slope hasn't gone away;is this a problem with the lens?

Thanks in advance
I used a laser pointer, a level, and my girlfriend's help to get my projector aligned properly. It's much easier to do it when one person moves the projector around and the other can stand really close to the grid to see if the lines are flat / vertical and at 90 degrees at the corners.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off