BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 10008 Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Found this on Benq site

BenQ is introducing better performance and market-changing innovations to the home entertainment space with three world premieres. Making their debut at the 2013 CES will be BenQ’s price-defying line of home projectors. At around $1,000, the W1070 provides full HD 1080p 3D projection using the high-end DLP® Dark Chip 3 (DC3). The W1080ST, the industry’s only $1,299 short-throw full HD 3D home projector, further simplifies home theater installation and setup by delivering an image over 100 inches wide at less than six feet away from the screen. The duo is designed to support the latest HDMI to provide simple 3D connectivity from Blu-ray™ players, gaming consoles, and other supported 3D cable boxes in addition to PCs. With dual HDMI inputs, the projectors also facilitate multiple 3D connectivity setups for even more flexibility.

http://info.benq.us/blog/bid/253776/BenQ-America-previews-CES-2013

Rew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 10008 Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

Their info is wrong, they are a BenQ authorized dealer.
Rew

I hope you're right. I just ordered one from them today. I should have thought to ask. I'm normally much more disciplined than to forget to ask something so basic. I would think if they were getting them from Canada or oversees that they would have been available before yesterday. But mabey I'm just rationalizing my purchase...
post #993 of 10008 Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvink View Post

The "green blurr" you mentioned could be a dust blob. You can try adjusting the focus ring and see if you can see the actually dust speck. The first W1070 I got had a few of these specks that I could focus on them to reveal bright white dots.

I was just mentioning the green silhoutee border along the top and right borders of the projection.....I'm guessing this is normal and just part of the optics. everyone has it? Nothing wrong with the sharpness or focus from corner to corner with this projector.
post #994 of 10008 Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I think some of you missed my previous post. What is the manufacture date and firmware versions on the projectors you have received.

I am wondering if there are any differences in the US and other versions around.
post #995 of 10008 Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post

Are you basing your findings off a W7000? I don't think the W1070 and that are in the same league.
This helps very much, many thanks for providing it.

No, I am basing it off every low-cost projector that has ever been made and 5+ years of seeing baloney on/off ratios from various sites.
As I said, it would be an engineering anomaly (major one). It is possible, miracles do happen now and then, just unlikely smile.gif

I own the Viewsonic Pro8200, and owned the Mits hc4000, and now the w7000 and still own the JVC RS-45 as well. I've owned many many different projectors, I've been around the block and I've seen this same game replayed over and over again smile.gif

For a DLP projector to be this much brighter and still have that much higher native on/off is unlikely, but anything is possible...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #996 of 10008 Old 01-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Are you going to buy it or what? Surely some other pro reviewer can compare the quality diff between w7000 and w1070.

From one year to the next, specs on a cheaper unit can leapfrog that of the higher end unit from last year, for sure. It happens all the time in engineering/tech, it's really not all that uncommon. Take video cards. Today's 300 dollar card is last year's 550$ card. Same thing with the w7000 -> w1070, in theory. I don't own both, nor would ever buy a 3000 dollar projector (or even a 1600 dollar one, given how good this one is for 850). Seriously, the epson 3020 might be 30% better, but the cheap price + awesome specs are why I got this. under half of what I paid for my plasma!!! seriously, it's insane. Sure, 3D could be brighter, but 2D is plenty good enough, and no Epson supports display port yet AFAIK to circumvent the idiotic HDMI 1.4 60p input port bandwidth limitation. Heck, someone here even mentioned that projector manufacturers could spend one dollar more on the input port chip cost, to give you 60p in 3D. Why haven't they? I don't need better 2D, this one is insanely good for that. What I need is the best 3D, and for my gaming needs, that means 1080p/60 frame packed. Until Epson or some other guys can offer that, I'm not interested. I just watched some bits of the 3D recommended Sammy's Adventure in 3D, and it's really sweet. How much did I pay for this? I have a 3D MOVIE theater in my loft!!! For 8 fitty. insane
post #997 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I don't think the Epson 3020 is better, I think quite the opposite. Some people A/B projectors and do it incorrectly, you have to be careful with calibration and other things or it will add bias.

The w1070 won't fit in my room, if it would have, I would have bought it instead of the w7000. I have my projectors mounted 17' back from a 106" screen,this being short throw means I 'd have to keep it on the coffee table or something.

The only 3D DLP projectors that fit are the Optoma hd8300 and the Benq w7000, though the Optoma was borderline on lumens with lamp age for 3D. That is why I went with the w7000 instead.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #998 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 AM

Still loving mine after almost a month....
post #999 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by safe bobo View Post

I was just mentioning the green silhoutee border along the top and right borders of the projection.....I'm guessing this is normal and just part of the optics. everyone has it? Nothing wrong with the sharpness or focus from corner to corner with this projector.

To me, this looks like Chromatic distortion of the lens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

post #1000 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoy73 View Post

Just curious, I currently own the viewsonic por8200 and it has 2000 lumens with 4000:1 contrast. The Benq has the same lumens with 10000:1 contrast, I'm wondering if I'm going to see any difference in the picurte quality especially in the dark scenes? I found out the hard way that I need lens shift and I'm having all sorts of minor issues (hot spotting, +8 keystone, image doesn't fill the screen properly) because of it.

Of course you will. More shadow detail ...
post #1001 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvink View Post

To me, this looks like Chromatic distortion of the lens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

To me this looks totally unacceptable. I would return it.
My cheaper 720p Acer H5360BD looks much better than this - no convergence problems, no discoloration, just slight sharpenss differences between corners and center of the screen.
post #1002 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Could someone else take close up pics of some text against windows explorer? Is your text up close actually black? Up close it has some colors.
post #1003 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys,
I've been messing with my projector and mount for the past week trying to tweek everything. I've run into a few quesions and was wondering if you could give me some idea since I'm new to projectors.
1. I was watching Looper the other night and there were scenes when light would glare (as from a window in the movie) - however, the light showed up blue across the screen (like blue streaks) and not white as it should have?

2. I'm using a Monoprice redmere 30 ft cable and am having some issues with the projector not being able to pick up a signal after the signal is switched (it will always pick it up upon first being turned on, but, if i put a different movie in later or change it from the PS3, it will lose the signal and not be able to pick it back up unless i turn the projector on and off (turning the receiver or ps3 on and off does't do anything). Is this the hdmi cable?

3. (Not a projector issue)- i have a ceiling mount which has a ton of adjustment options but I still can not get the picture totally aligned with the screen. Basically the top and sides are pretty well aligned and straight, however, the bottom of the screen is not even (fills the screen on the left side and gradually goes up to being a couple of inches above the bottom of the screen on the right side). - I totally understand that this is my mounting error, but im having a very difficult time which way to move the projector to get it aligned properly before putting more holes in my ceiling.

4. I know color and tint have been mentioned earlier in the thread but just wondering if anyone's figured out a way to be able to access the color and tint options to adjust as they are greyed out in the menu screen.

All of this being said, I'd like to present my opinion thus far:

Pros:
Much brighter than I had expected but not too bright
Vertical lens shift can assist when small adjustments are needed
Very light and portable
Watching the full screen shotsof the city in Batman Rises blew me away.

Cons:
I may be spoiled by my plasma (samsung 63c8000), but the blacks suck and are particularly noticable when watching movies that are not full screen. Raising gamma does help this but, so far, i don't like what it does to the rest of the picture if i do this.
Optical zoom is limited
optical zoom and focus controls can be a bit difficult to hone in as the wheels or recessed and a bit stiff
color out of the box needs work.. too much red in flesh tones - still working of fixing this
Unfortunately for me, I've discovered that i am sensitive to rainbows but am hoping I get over this (not the projector's fault)

Overall - for the money, it is a good projector. I am biased due to having never owned another projector and am comparing to a TV that cost about 4 x as much brand new and so i've been spoiled. The noise can be loud, however, if you are using this with any kind of surround sound, you should be just fine. I don't notice it until before and after the movie is playing, the noise gets easily drowned out.
post #1004 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM

post #1005 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

Hey guys,
I've been messing with my projector and mount for the past week trying to tweek everything. I've run into a few quesions and was wondering if you could give me some idea since I'm new to projectors.
1. I was watching Looper the other night and there were scenes when light would glare (as from a window in the movie) - however, the light showed up blue across the screen (like blue streaks) and not white as it should have?
2. I'm using a Monoprice redmere 30 ft cable and am having some issues with the projector not being able to pick up a signal after the signal is switched (it will always pick it up upon first being turned on, but, if i put a different movie in later or change it from the PS3, it will lose the signal and not be able to pick it back up unless i turn the projector on and off (turning the receiver or ps3 on and off does't do anything). Is this the hdmi cable?
3. (Not a projector issue)- i have a ceiling mount which has a ton of adjustment options but I still can not get the picture totally aligned with the screen. Basically the top and sides are pretty well aligned and straight, however, the bottom of the screen is not even (fills the screen on the left side and gradually goes up to being a couple of inches above the bottom of the screen on the right side). - I totally understand that this is my mounting error, but im having a very difficult time which way to move the projector to get it aligned properly before putting more holes in my ceiling.
4. I know color and tint have been mentioned earlier in the thread but just wondering if anyone's figured out a way to be able to access the color and tint options to adjust as they are greyed out in the menu screen.
All of this being said, I'd like to present my opinion thus far:
Pros:
Much brighter than I had expected but not too bright
Vertical lens shift can assist when small adjustments are needed
Very light and portable
Watching the full screen shotsof the city in Batman Rises blew me away.
Cons:
I may be spoiled by my plasma (samsung 63c8000), but the blacks suck and are particularly noticable when watching movies that are not full screen. Raising gamma does help this but, so far, i don't like what it does to the rest of the picture if i do this.
Optical zoom is limited
optical zoom and focus controls can be a bit difficult to hone in as the wheels or recessed and a bit stiff
color out of the box needs work.. too much red in flesh tones - still working of fixing this
Unfortunately for me, I've discovered that i am sensitive to rainbows but am hoping I get over this (not the projector's fault)
Overall - for the money, it is a good projector. I am biased due to having never owned another projector and am comparing to a TV that cost about 4 x as much brand new and so i've been spoiled. The noise can be loud, however, if you are using this with any kind of surround sound, you should be just fine. I don't notice it until before and after the movie is playing, the noise gets easily drowned out.

Did you do the followings?

Brilliant Colour
- as soon as we turned the feature off noise levels dropped considerably, leaving images less affected by fizzing and colour sparkles.

Smart Eco
- which is essentially a dynamic contrast system that continually adjusts the light output to suit the requirements of the image being shown.

As well as reducing power consumption to 163W on average versus the 290W used in Normal mode, it does a handy job of helping the projector achieve a better balance of black level depth and shadow detailing than you get with either of the other lamp modes.
post #1006 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM

Here is a pic, i'm going to add them one at a time if i can as i'm having internet issues with my tethering..
Juan Samartegui likes this.
post #1007 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 10:03 AM

post #1008 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Here is an idea with the screen up (120") for basis of comparison, the tv is a 63".
post #1009 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Here is a pic, i'm going to add them one at a time if i can as i'm having internet issues with my tethering..

Looks great in my opinion!
post #1010 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice.

Is your PJ mounted on the ceiling? If so, how tall is your ceiling?
post #1011 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 AM

If your projection is shaped like a trapezoid(wider on bottom and shorter on top or vice versa)...have you tried adjusting the keystone?

I believe the hdmi inputs on the w1070, do not "SNUG" in tightly, but hang loosely and it's easy to disconnect the source with just a hint of the cable movement. I have it sitting on the table at the moment, little touch of the wire can disconnect the source for me.

Your pull down screen looks very "FLAT". I have a custom fixed frame screen using weak/thin wood......What happens when I lift up the projection screen and mount it onto the hinges which stick out about a foot from the wall, the wood flexes and waves form on the projection screen. I've tried to fix it a few times and that's how I realized it was the problem....I would either have to do it with something more sturdier like metal, or thicker wood...but In my situation, I think I should just buy the 128" Antra pull down screen off eBay.... 120" too small and too many FL brightness, 135" Too big and would have to border off the rest screen otherwise the front speakers will be in the projection.

The wall I am projecting on is not perfectly flat, so I can't just buy a 120"+ fixed frame and hang it onto the wall perfectly flat. There is a 1/2 foot buldge of concrete around the first 3ft of the floor from concrete than the drywall. Theres also the issue of bringing the 120 fixed frame into the room....the current screen had to be built inside the projection room for it to fit in there..The screen material I bought off eBay is those 3 layer material black on the back...very strong, but hard to make perfectly flat, even if I were to staple the edges....I think my best option is to buy a pull down screen......how likely are waves to develop? and i would probrably the screen down 99% of the time as I would be using it frequently...or would it be better to roll it up all the time?
post #1012 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Very nice.
Is your PJ mounted on the ceiling? If so, how tall is your ceiling?
Hi its mounted on the wall just below the ceiling. The ceiling is 8'
post #1013 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safe bobo View Post

Could someone else take close up pics of some text against windows explorer? Is your text up close actually black? Up close it has some colors.

I wonder if lens zoom and lens shift position have any effect? Sometimes the extreme positions can cause problems like this. Worth trying anyway.
post #1014 of 10008 Old 01-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Hi its mounted on the wall just below the ceiling. The ceiling is 8'[/quote

Actually I miss spoke. The projector is ceiling mounted. The screen is wall mounted
post #1015 of 10008 Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM

I am replacing the Optoma HD66 (+ Monoprice 3d creator) because of dead pixels starting to show after 2 years. I bought the Epson 3020 at first but returned it because it had 1 dead pixel already when I first started it up. And right at that moment the buzz about the Benq w1070 started so I decided to wait for this one to become available in the US.

My setup
  • Denon DHT 591 BA Receiver with hdmi 1.4
  • No blu ray / 3d player
  • Xbox 360 + Windows Media Center to play movies, incl. 3d movies (mkv 1080p side-by-side)
  • Benq w1070 ceiling mounted on a 7 ft ceiling
  • Firmware 1.03
  • Xbox, cable box, dvd player go through receive via hdmi 1.4, receiver out is connected to the benq w1070 via hdmi 1.4
  • Fixed 106” Cinema White screen (Vapex)
  • Semi light controlled environment (basement), I can’t block all the light during daytime
  • Used for gaming (xbox), 2d and 3d movies and television (Comcast)

3d glasses, tested with Comcast 3d:
  • 1x 3DTV Corp DLP Link model D+D3G, 96/100/120/144 Hz – works fine
  • 1x 3DTV Corp DLP Link model ND2G, 120 Hz – works fine
  • 1x 3DTV Corp DLP Link model VA-DD1, 120 Hz – gives picture with flashes and flickering. Basically doesn’t work
  • 2x Optoma ZD101 - works fine

I played around for a bit with the w1070. I am planning to fine tune the settings with the help of a calibration dvd. But no time yet, so this first impression is of the picture right out of the box. I will post the settings when I had the time to run the calibration.
  • I had no problems mounting the projector on the ceiling and the vertical lens shift was a great help! I read complaints about the lens shift being very basic and hard to fine adjust, but I found it very easy to adjust the lens in a few seconds. It’s not automated, but still very easy and very helpful in my situation.
  • Picture looks very sharp, bright and great colors. Blacks look great to me also. I am not a specialist in this area, but it’s a big improvement over the Optoma HD66 in every aspect. But that could be expected of course, being a 1080 projector at 2x the cost of the HD66.
  • Fan noise is no issue for me. Xbox is noisier so it doesn’t bother me.

But I am having issues with 3d:
  • The 3d auto detect doesn’t work and I have to use the remote to manually set it to 3d whenever I play a 3d movie, that is, when the option is not greyed out.
  • Comcast, 1080i side-by-side works fine. I have to select side-by-side manually via the remote. It worked on the Optoma HD66 + Monoprice 3d creator and on the Epson 3020.
  • Comcast, 1080i top-bottom, doesn’t work. It is recognized as 3d, but I can only choose side-by-side and not top-bottom which is greyed out. Didn’t work on the Optoma HD66 + Monoprice 3d creator but did work on the Epson 3020.
  • Xbox, Windows MediaCenter, mkv files 1080p side-by-side. Doesn’t work. It’s not recognized as 3d and the 3d setting is grayed out and not available. It worked on the Optoma HD66 + Monoprice 3d creator. Not tested on the Epson 3020.

Anyone has any good suggestions about what is wrong with the 3d and how to solve this? I assume this should all works fine with this projector.

EDIT: I think I figured it out.
--> Comcast ESPN 3d --> I need to set the Comcast box to 720p instead of 1080i, then it works fine since top-and-bottom 720p is supported, top-and-bottom 1080i is not supported.
--> 1080p 24hz side-by-side is not a mandatory 3d format and is not supported by both the Benq w1070 and the Epson 3020. Since all my 3d movies are in this format, I need to convert them (anyone knows how?) or I need to go back to the Optoma HD66 + Monoprice 3d creator combination. But that is not a real good option.
post #1016 of 10008 Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

What Blu-Ray player are you using for 3D? Is the player set for Auto?

How high is your ceiling? How far from the ceiling is the top of your screen? How far from the screen is the projector?
post #1017 of 10008 Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 AM

No blu ray (see post), playing 3d through Xbox and Comcast.
Ceiling is 7ft (see post).
Top of the screen to ceiling = 6"1/4
Projector is 9ft from the screen.
post #1018 of 10008 Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

any chances you can sharing some non CGI images? that would be better to judge the image quality
post #1019 of 10008 Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post

any chances you can sharing some non CGI images? that would be better to judge the image quality

Better yet, post a checker board or the multi color test patterns on the test discs (free from the AVS HD 709 disc).
post #1020 of 10008 Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albero67 View Post

No blu ray (see post), playing 3d through Xbox and Comcast.
Ceiling is 7ft (see post).
Top of the screen to ceiling = 6"1/4
Projector is 9ft from the screen.

Thanks, I think I have to get a longer mount since my screen is about 2 feet from the ceiling.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page