BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 347 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #10381 of 10401 Old 11-18-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
Anybody have a recommendation for a good HDMI switch with remote ? In the meantime, I am limited to 1080i.
I have used one of these from Monoprice for 5 years the exact same configuration you are describing, without any issues. It even works with my Harmony remote. They have several different ones. So give them a look.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...specifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10382 of 10401 Old 11-18-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
I have used one of these from Monoprice for 5 years the exact same configuration you are describing, without any issues. It even works with my Harmony remote. They have several different ones. So give them a look.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...specifications
Thanks, that is exactly what I asked for. But ... it looks like the one JohnnyVee suggested will do what I need by separating the audio into TOSLINK to the receiver. I already ordered it before your reply. I hope it works.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
post #10383 of 10401 Old 11-19-2014, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
This was perfect. Exactly what I needed to fix things. THANKS!
I did an OS re-install.
Went with Win10 though.
And only the projector connected during the install.
Right away, the projector came up as "generic".
But some time after installing the latest nVidia driver, the projector started to show up as "BenQ Projector" and I found a new option to enable 3D on supported displays.
Used PowerDVD14 and got 3D working great!

Once I connected my desktop monitor and set things to duplicate on both screens, I lost the 3D capability.
So I did as you suggested and set it to "extend desktop" and that worked.
And the extend desktop seems to work a lot nicer on Win10 than it did back in XP when I last tried it.
And now for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the damn 3D option back again.
I freaking give up on HTPC.
Ten years ago it was THE WAY TO GO.
Nowadays, it's for people with too much time on their hands to figure out how to get everything working together properly.

HTPC should have gotten easier with age but instead it's 100x more complicated and harder to figure out. And I'm a doggone computer guy.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #10384 of 10401 Old 11-19-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation/clarification !

Did you use this with the Samsung Plasma and Benq W1070 at the same time ? How did you split the signal since this is a 4x1 switch ? I still have hopes of getting my JVC back as a second working projector, so I'd like to split the HDMI video output signal mirrored to both projectors while I separate the 7.1 audio to the AVR.
I used it on separate occasions. Not at the same time. Hope it work well for you.
post #10385 of 10401 Old 11-19-2014, 04:33 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie View Post
And now for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the damn 3D option back again.
I freaking give up on HTPC.
Ten years ago it was THE WAY TO GO.
Nowadays, it's for people with too much time on their hands to figure out how to get everything working together properly.

HTPC should have gotten easier with age but instead it's 100x more complicated and harder to figure out. And I'm a doggone computer guy.
Do you have a receiver between the BenQ and the HTPC? On occasion, my AMD driver would show the receiver as the display and not the BenQ - when this happened PowerDVD would not recognize the receiver as 3D capable and I could not do frame-packing 3D, so it would output red/green 3D.

I haven't tried Win10, I'm on Win7.

Having said that. The novelty of 3D has worn off for me and my family. We pretty much stick with 2D - granted I'm using a Darbee and SVP as well.
post #10386 of 10401 Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question Please help!

I need advice deciding between W1070 and HT 1075.I understand that there is not much functional difference between the two models.

However I have come across couple of posts where w1070 have been plagued with dust blob /QA issues.Is it a widespread problem?Does HT 1075 have better optics?

Should I save some $$ and get Benq W1070? Please suggest!

Regards
Prithvi
post #10387 of 10401 Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 178
The dust-blobs seemed to happen in somewhat of a cluster..it could've been a badly put-together batch when they were really selling heavily or it could've just been bad luck and coincidence.

If you plan to play video-games on it, I'd strongly recommend the 1070 over the 1075 because the 1075 oddly introduced a significant amount of input-lag. There's a possibility it could be fixed with a future firmware update, but there's no guarantee and it could even be a permanent hardware issue. It doesn't affect TV/movies or slow-paced games however, so if those are more your aim it's pretty much just adding MHL, horizontal digital keystone and a slightly different throw angle (steeper I believe) and adding $200-ish onto the pricetag.

I'd stick with the w1070 while they're still available new, but I'm a cheapskate who is also angry about the w1075's added input-lag..so that might just be me. >

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #10388 of 10401 Old 11-20-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
The dust-blobs seemed to happen in somewhat of a cluster..it could've been a badly put-together batch when they were really selling heavily or it could've just been bad luck and coincidence.

If you plan to play video-games on it, I'd strongly recommend the 1070 over the 1075 because the 1075 oddly introduced a significant amount of input-lag. There's a possibility it could be fixed with a future firmware update, but there's no guarantee and it could even be a permanent hardware issue. It doesn't affect TV/movies or slow-paced games however, so if those are more your aim it's pretty much just adding MHL, horizontal digital keystone and a slightly different throw angle (steeper I believe) and adding $200-ish onto the pricetag.

I'd stick with the w1070 while they're still available new, but I'm a cheapskate who is also angry about the w1075's added input-lag..so that might just be me. >
Thanks for your inputs! Yeah W1070 makes lot of sense.

I would be mainly using the projector for movie/casual viewing and may never use it for gaming.I don't need MHL since my receiver has it.

Can recent Benq W1070 owners comment on Dust blob issues ? Has anyone run into it recently?

Are Yamaha Aventage receivers compatible with Benq projectors? Any HDMI issues?

Thanks
Prithvi
post #10389 of 10401 Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Ftoast, I´m just like you. Because of the added input-lag I´m still deciding between W1070 and HT1075 and yes, really angry about that input-lag. Would have already bought the new model, but I don´t think I want to take the risk. I think it would be perfect for my use with increased brightness but not with that input-lag.

I have tried to ask BenQ support about this input-lag, but nothing worth mentioning from them.
post #10390 of 10401 Old 11-20-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It seems that the new hardware does not suffer from prior faults. Im approching 200 hours with no focus issues, no dust issues, no issues with one side of the screen being brighter then other other.... im loving the thing. On tip I took from earlier in this thread was to save the bag the PJ comes in. I cut it in a manner that allows me to slip it over the projector, whenever I am doing anything in the theater room that could kick up alot of dust (cleaning, re arranging hardware, messing around in the drop ceiling). Just an extra piece of mind.
post #10391 of 10401 Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 174
BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 View Post
On tip I took from earlier in this thread was to save the bag the PJ comes in. I cut it in a manner that allows me to slip it over the projector, whenever I am doing anything in the theater room that could kick up alot of dust (cleaning, re arranging hardware, messing around in the drop ceiling). Just an extra piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

For sure. I don't do anything that kicks up dust without it: since dust flying around and landing in the wrong place could technically affect almost any projector.

No problems to report over the last 6 months: still runs fantastic. Great purchase.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!

Last edited by kreeturez; 11-20-2014 at 05:35 PM.
post #10392 of 10401 Old 11-20-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I just bought mine from Amazon and it has no dust blobs.

Kirk Ellis
post #10393 of 10401 Old 11-21-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have had mine for five months now and no issues with dust blobs. I agreewith Crestwood that the new hardware does not suffer from prior faults.
post #10394 of 10401 Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 AM

Seriously guys, if your thinking about getting it and you have a completely light controlled room its a no brainer! Great (not perfect) video quality, but for the price your paying for such a large high quality picture the black levels are something that most of us can ignore. This thing is just awesome.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #10395 of 10401 Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question on mounting...

Running a 110" screen with the W1070 on a table. I'm going to mount to the ceiling tomorrow... what distance do you recommend I mount it at?

Benq's site says 9'2" distance but Projector Central's calc shows 10'4" being center of the throw range?

Also, Benq's site shows the mount to be 3" above the screen - is this correct?

thank you for the help!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
post #10396 of 10401 Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
Question on mounting...

Running a 110" screen with the W1070 on a table. I'm going to mount to the ceiling tomorrow... what distance do you recommend I mount it at?

Benq's site says 9'2" distance but Projector Central's calc shows 10'4" being center of the throw range?

Also, Benq's site shows the mount to be 3" above the screen - is this correct?

thank you for the help!
Go with 10'4. And the 3" figure is from the center of the lens, not the mount, to the top edge of the screen.

Kirk Ellis
post #10397 of 10401 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Go with 10'4. And the 3" figure is from the center of the lens, not the mount, to the top edge of the screen.
Mine is 4" from center of lens to top of image whith lens shift full up. I have around 6.75" or so of lens shift to get the picture lower. My PJ is 10'6" from the screen.
As one of the other members explained to me , a lot of the measurements are general , and production variables will come into play.
Ftoast likes this.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #10398 of 10401 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post
Mine is 4" from center of lens to top of image whith lens shift full up. I have around 6.75" or so of lens shift to get the picture lower. My PJ is 10'6" from the screen.
As one of the other members explained to me , a lot of the measurements are general , and production variables will come into play.
This is very true. My replacement pj should have allowed me to simply put back right where the first one was. Then adjust focus zoom etc.

But the manual lens shift was off more than my first pj. I used the lens shift to get my pj as high as I could.
post #10399 of 10401 Old Today, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dont know if I should post here, but I need see if someone can guide me with 3D and computer players with W1070 because I'm a bit lost. I have a Medion Akoya laptop with an nVidia 650M, and the problem is that 3D options are disabled on nVidia panel, after much searching seems that is because of the Optimus technology, which completely disables it.

However, the other day I played a BlueRay 3D image with TotalMedia 6 and the projector automatically changed to 3D 'frame-packed' mode. Although I have now tried again to play the same image and no longer changes, the movie is visualized in anaglyph mode.

I've tried other players, such as PowerDVD14, but when I play the film, the projector does not change automatically, and if I press 3D mode button, the projector does change but I think the only thing I am doing is converting from 2D to 3D by the program itself.

Would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has had similar experiences. Should I buy a Blu-Ray player and forget the computer, due to apparently not have 3D options?

Thank you.
post #10400 of 10401 Old Today, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumynon View Post
Dont know if I should post here, but I need see if someone can guide me with 3D and computer players with W1070 because I'm a bit lost. I have a Medion Akoya laptop with an nVidia 650M, and the problem is that 3D options are disabled on nVidia panel, after much searching seems that is because of the Optimus technology, which completely disables it.

However, the other day I played a BlueRay 3D image with TotalMedia 6 and the projector automatically changed to 3D 'frame-packed' mode. Although I have now tried again to play the same image and no longer changes, the movie is visualized in anaglyph mode.

I've tried other players, such as PowerDVD14, but when I play the film, the projector does not change automatically, and if I press 3D mode button, the projector does change but I think the only thing I am doing is converting from 2D to 3D by the program itself.

Would appreciate thoughts from anyone who has had similar experiences. Should I buy a Blu-Ray player and forget the computer, due to apparently not have 3D options?

Thank you.
3D blu ray players are so cheap anymore your better off going that route, then you wont have to play with everything and use a computer to watch it. Just pop the disk in and you have a remote instead of all that messing around with settings. IMHO
post #10401 of 10401 Old Today, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumynon View Post

Thank you.
Get a 3D Blu-Ray Player. It is easier than the hassle of using the PC software.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread