BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 349 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10441 of 11393 Old 11-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Bookedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can't get 3D picture

Hello AVE'ers! I received my 1070 earlier this week, got it set up and am pleased with its picture. I bought it expressly for viewing 3D on a big screen affordably. My problem is, I can't seem to get the 3D picture to "sync". 2D works flawlessly. 3D looks "out of phase" so to speak. I am using an Oppo 105 for my 3D bluray player and it is set to play bluray 3D. My 1070 won't let me set it to "auto" but I am able to pick any of the 3 choices (frame packing, side to side or top to bottom. I tried all and tried inverting them all, no luck. I am running the 1070 directly into HDMI 1 on the Oppo. For glasses, I initially tried ones that came with my Panasonic VT50 plasma, no go. I researched this thread and ended up ordering a set of the EStar DLP Links. They are 144 Hz triple flash support (ESG601). Can any of you knowledgable members suggest any tips? Thank you in advance, I have learned a ton my coming here!

Rob
Bookedup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10442 of 11393 Old 11-28-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,487
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post
Hello AVE'ers! I received my 1070 earlier this week, got it set up and am pleased with its picture. I bought it expressly for viewing 3D on a big screen affordably. My problem is, I can't seem to get the 3D picture to "sync". 2D works flawlessly. 3D looks "out of phase" so to speak. I am using an Oppo 105 for my 3D bluray player and it is set to play bluray 3D. My 1070 won't let me set it to "auto" but I am able to pick any of the 3 choices (frame packing, side to side or top to bottom. I tried all and tried inverting them all, no luck. I am running the 1070 directly into HDMI 1 on the Oppo. For glasses, I initially tried ones that came with my Panasonic VT50 plasma, no go. I researched this thread and ended up ordering a set of the EStar DLP Links. They are 144 Hz triple flash support (ESG601). Can any of you knowledgable members suggest any tips? Thank you in advance, I have learned a ton my coming here!

Rob
I have my oppo 103d hooked to my w1070 and it automatically switches to 3d frame packing when a 3d bluray is played.
bluer101 is offline  
post #10443 of 11393 Old 11-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Member
 
Bookedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All,
Please disregard my last message. I was able to get my 3D picture. After i dowered it down and came back and fired it back up 20 minutes later, all is well. The only think i noticed (and commented upon here often is the black levels. I turned down NR and that helped a smidgen. The othe rthing was while watching Polar Express, the audio cut out about three times for a second or two. I think this has been commented on too. A HDMI hand shake problem. Is there any way of minimizing (or illiminating) these occurances? Thanks again,

Rob
Bookedup is offline  
post #10444 of 11393 Old 11-28-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Cool, I can definitely correct that with my shader code, even for the case where the CA is asymmetric.

Now I just need to find a source for AR coated prisms suitable for this. Surplus Shed is out of stock and most of the other links I've seen on the net are for lasers to make the beams rounder, and they all need to be custom ordered. Do you have the link to the original french prism ordering site?
There was no "site" to order from. Sam Khattane from France joined AVS, organized a group buy from SurplusShed, took people's money, was chastised by AVS for an unauthorized group by, had his account yanked, and that was it. He was a standup guy and everyone got their prisms, but without an AVS account and no way to PM him, we all thought we were screwed until the prisms actually showed up.

SurplusShed popped up for a couple of posts letting people know they could buy them directly, but I think they wanted group buys of 50 sets. Actually, they said they could make whatever size you wanted, but would need an order for 50 sets.

So you would use this with an HTPC to play blu-rays ? I thought with the Cinevia and need to upgrade software all the time to play the latest discs, that HTPC blu-ray was more expensive and more trouble than it was worth ?

*********************
Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
dreamer is offline  
post #10445 of 11393 Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Member
 
Crestwood1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NEPA
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
There was no "site" to order from. Sam Khattane from France joined AVS, organized a group buy from SurplusShed, took people's money, was chastised by AVS for an unauthorized group by, had his account yanked, and that was it. He was a standup guy and everyone got their prisms, but without an AVS account and no way to PM him, we all thought we were screwed until the prisms actually showed up.

SurplusShed popped up for a couple of posts letting people know they could buy them directly, but I think they wanted group buys of 50 sets. Actually, they said they could make whatever size you wanted, but would need an order for 50 sets.

So you would use this with an HTPC to play blu-rays ? I thought with the Cinevia and need to upgrade software all the time to play the latest discs, that HTPC blu-ray was more expensive and more trouble than it was worth ?
Its more trouble then its worth for playing blu rays on an HTPC. I have mine in the media cabinet but I only use it for managing my storage and I normally leave Plex Home Theater running on it so when I switch to it that is what comes up. Your better off getting a good blu ray player, then can be had cheap anymore.
Crestwood1001 is offline  
post #10446 of 11393 Old 11-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Member
 
incus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Both hdmi ports stopped working 😕

I will have had my w1070 going on 2 years this Super Bowl. I've had no complaints to date, picture still wows me and my family. Unfortunately, both my hdmi ports went out. I had only one cable in hdmi 1 when I plugged in a hdmi switch and now neither work.
My short term work around is using the component input as that still works. I called benQ and can send it in for $65 assessment that would be applied to the possible $300 over the phone estimation to replace the hdmi board, Yikes! Guess they would at least update the firmware as I'm on 1.04.
Anyone have any recommendations on alternative repair options/places that may be a little more gentle on the pocket?

Thanks in advance.
Incus
incus is offline  
post #10447 of 11393 Old 11-29-2014, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Check with your local TV repair stores some of them repair projectors.

jsil is online now  
post #10448 of 11393 Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
AllenA07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 724
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post
Hello AVE'ers! I received my 1070 earlier this week, got it set up and am pleased with its picture. I bought it expressly for viewing 3D on a big screen affordably. My problem is, I can't seem to get the 3D picture to "sync". 2D works flawlessly. 3D looks "out of phase" so to speak. I am using an Oppo 105 for my 3D bluray player and it is set to play bluray 3D. My 1070 won't let me set it to "auto" but I am able to pick any of the 3 choices (frame packing, side to side or top to bottom. I tried all and tried inverting them all, no luck. I am running the 1070 directly into HDMI 1 on the Oppo. For glasses, I initially tried ones that came with my Panasonic VT50 plasma, no go. I researched this thread and ended up ordering a set of the EStar DLP Links. They are 144 Hz triple flash support (ESG601). Can any of you knowledgable members suggest any tips? Thank you in advance, I have learned a ton my coming here!

Rob
The Estar glasses are great and should fix you're issue. The glasses from the TV are not going to work with the 1070.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- SVS Prime Satellites, Sub- SVS PC-12 Plus, SVS PC-13 Ultra
Display: BenQ w1070 on a 110in fixed screen
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S6200;
Playstation 4
AllenA07 is offline  
post #10449 of 11393 Old 11-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
W1070 Red LAMP Light

Hi guys, not to hijack this awesome threat which helped me buy my W1070 back in July. My projector has less then 50 hours of use. Today I went to turn on projector and saw color distortion (to green in Cable box, to blue in BD), I decided to restart the projector and it came back with solid red LAMP light. No red light flickering, no message on the screen nothing. I decided to take the bulb out to visually check the condition, the lamp looked good to me. I let the projector cool off and assemble it back just to see exactly the same behavior. I'm kind of lost at the moment, I can't believe that such a awesome unit will have this issues so soon with no reason (the temperature and condition of the room as well as placement can't be the cause). I'm planning to contact Ben Q on Monday, to see what they have to say, I'm pretty sure the unit is still under warranty as it has been less than 5 months since I bought it.
If anybody has any ideas or suggestions to try before I go to BQ I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!
dimaboneca is offline  
post #10450 of 11393 Old 11-30-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bluer101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,487
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimaboneca View Post
Hi guys, not to hijack this awesome threat which helped me buy my W1070 back in July. My projector has less then 50 hours of use. Today I went to turn on projector and saw color distortion (to green in Cable box, to blue in BD), I decided to restart the projector and it came back with solid red LAMP light. No red light flickering, no message on the screen nothing. I decided to take the bulb out to visually check the condition, the lamp looked good to me. I let the projector cool off and assemble it back just to see exactly the same behavior. I'm kind of lost at the moment, I can't believe that such a awesome unit will have this issues so soon with no reason (the temperature and condition of the room as well as placement can't be the cause). I'm planning to contact Ben Q on Monday, to see what they have to say, I'm pretty sure the unit is still under warranty as it has been less than 5 months since I bought it.
If anybody has any ideas or suggestions to try before I go to BQ I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance!

Call Monday they have good customer service. This is from the manual for solid red lamp light.

The lamp has been damaged. Please contact your local BenQcustomer center for purchasing a new lamp.
bluer101 is offline  
post #10451 of 11393 Old 11-30-2014, 05:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ceiling Mount + Screen

I just ordered this projector and am super exited for it! Two questions though, what is the best ceiling mount people here have been using under $50 and what is the recommended screen (120") to pair with this PJ?

Thanks!
gohan_d1 is offline  
post #10452 of 11393 Old 11-30-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,889
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
There was no "site" to order from. Sam Khattane from France joined AVS, organized a group buy from SurplusShed, took people's money, was chastised by AVS for an unauthorized group by, had his account yanked, and that was it. He was a standup guy and everyone got their prisms, but without an AVS account and no way to PM him, we all thought we were screwed until the prisms actually showed up.

SurplusShed popped up for a couple of posts letting people know they could buy them directly, but I think they wanted group buys of 50 sets. Actually, they said they could make whatever size you wanted, but would need an order for 50 sets.

So you would use this with an HTPC to play blu-rays ? I thought with the Cinevia and need to upgrade software all the time to play the latest discs, that HTPC blu-ray was more expensive and more trouble than it was worth ?
Here is the shader toy I wrote a while back, so everyone can see how easy it is in principle to correct CA electronically.

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4s2XDd

I would definitely be into joining a group buy for another set of lenses. We could all collaborate on dialing in the CA correction shader plus whatever other geometry correction we would need. It would be fairly simple to plug in such a GLSL shader into MPC-HC, but I haven't done it yet because I don't have any lenses to test it with. I plan on using it in a VC config (vertical compression), but I want to build a sled to remove it from the light path entirely when watching 16:9 material or games.

Still, knowing that I wouldn't have to worry about light bleeding or geometry issues inherent in these lenses, without paying a few grand, would make it a fun project. Let's do it!

EDIT : I just thought about more ways to electronically compensate for other uniformity issues, including de-focus. In theory, you could apply the inverse of any image-skewing (even non-linear) effects of any lens, to the source signal, such as when the light beam finally comes out the other end, it's sharp and aligned and in focus everywhere. Will definitely have some resolution loss as a result of not being 1:1, but let's face it, as projector aficionados, 1:1 isn't as important as the final result, and I would personally rather a nice, uniform image, with dialed in colours and focus, than one that's perhaps slightly sharper at the edges but you couldn't tell, due to the other CA or geometry or focusing issues that the lens introduces.

Think about how astronomers use gravitational lensing, or other optical properties or light and mass, to enhance the resolution of distant stars, even get info about those that are occluded from direct sight. This is the same principle, on a much smaller scale (understatement of the year!)

I created a new thread to talk about this shader, HERE

Last edited by RLBURNSIDE; 11-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #10453 of 11393 Old 11-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
BB1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anybody using this projector daily? I usually watch TV 2-3 hours a day and slightly more on weekends with gaming and movies. I'm planning on building a dedicated media room / home theater using this unit.

How long would the bulb last if used in this manner?
BB1111 is online now  
post #10454 of 11393 Old 11-30-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post
Anybody using this projector daily? I usually watch TV 2-3 hours a day and slightly more on weekends with gaming and movies. I'm planning on building a dedicated media room / home theater using this unit.

How long would the bulb last if used in this manner?
I use mine 6+ hours daily. I've only had it for two weeks, so time will tell how long it lasts using it constantly. Theoretically, in Smart Eco mode the lamp should last 6,000+ hours, or 3 years at my 6+ hours a day.

*********************
Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
dreamer is offline  
post #10455 of 11393 Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Newbie
 
scociu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
On the edge of buying this as my first projector.
I've seen people commenting on this thread as it might be too bright for relatively small screens. Unfortunately 100" us the largest screen i can fit into the room, adding this to the fact that the walls and ceiling are white, i'm afraid i won't be able to get full benefit of the projector. Light is as controlled as possible in a living room, dark drapes and directional lighting.
Note: Attached are some specs for the screen i plan to buy. From what i read i would ideally go for a gray/silver one with gain <= 1, but this is the best i could find out of the limited options available in my country.

What do you guys think? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Projecta Procinema CSR 128 X 220 cm.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	394489  
scociu is offline  
post #10456 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yep, it is our main TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB1111 View Post
Anybody using this projector daily? I usually watch TV 2-3 hours a day and slightly more on weekends with gaming and movies. I'm planning on building a dedicated media room / home theater using this unit.

How long would the bulb last if used in this manner?
We have had ours since May and have between 1500 and 2000 hours on the bulb. The first week or so we just watched it a couple hours a day, then we began using it more and more. Within about 6 weeks of getting it I would say we did 95% of all TV watching on it. We used our LCD TV so little that when we moved we didn't even put a TV in the living room, just mounted the projector to the ceiling and put the TV in the bedroom.

We have not had any problems yet with ours.
chmcke01 is offline  
post #10457 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 07:57 AM
Member
 
oldlostcory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a mounting question if anyone can help me. I have a Sanyo Z4 right now and it is on a bookshelf about 10 feet from my screen projecting a 92" image. The projector is centered with the screen horizontally but it is about 3/4th the way up the projector screen. Can I put a W1070 in the same spot? I thought I read somewhere that it needs to be mounted above the actually screen. Thanks for any help, really appreciate it.
oldlostcory is offline  
post #10458 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Member
 
wushuliu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have been enjoying my 1070 for a couple months so I decided to take things up a notch and use one of my diy power conditioners that I've used with Video gear for the past few years. It's the Hammond 193L/M choke plugged in the wall trick based off a well known and expensive power conditioner. Was very popular in diy circles for a while.

And for good reason. The 1070 looks AWESOME now. The blacks are sumptuous and rich, colors are saturated, greater detail. I could go on and on. I've used these chokes for a long time so I've gotten used to them, so seeing what they do with a new component like the 1070 only re-affirmed how amazing they work. Best of all it's visual so there's no mistaking. It's not subtle. It's amazing.

Unfortunately it IS DIY and although ridiculously easy to try out for oneself it does involve mains voltages which is why it hasn't taken off beyond the fringes. The chokes themselves have also doubled in price over the last few years so it's a $90 tweak not the $40 or so it used to be. Still, it beats the $1000 and up retail option.

EDIT: Just checked and Parts Express has the 193M for half price! Link added
wushuliu is offline  
post #10459 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,889
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I use mine 6+ hours daily. I've only had it for two weeks, so time will tell how long it lasts using it constantly. Theoretically, in Smart Eco mode the lamp should last 6,000+ hours, or 3 years at my 6+ hours a day.
I bought mine a couple years back and used it every day as my primary monitor and although it's getting dim now (need to replace the bulb), I'll probably stick to this projector for another two years until BenQ has a decent / affordable 4K replacement.

In other news, I'm joining the anamorphic club this week My new lens cost almost as much as my projector!
RLBURNSIDE is offline  
post #10460 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Exclamation Would love to see measured proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Have been enjoying my 1070 for a couple months so I decided to take things up a notch and use one of my diy power conditioners that I've used with Video gear for the past few years. It's the Hammond 193L/M choke plugged in the wall trick based off a well known and expensive power conditioner. Was very popular in diy circles for a while.

And for good reason. The 1070 looks AWESOME now. The blacks are sumptuous and rich, colors are saturated, greater detail. I could go on and on. I've used these chokes for a long time so I've gotten used to them, so seeing what they do with a new component like the 1070 only re-affirmed how amazing they work. Best of all it's visual so there's no mistaking. It's not subtle. It's amazing.

Unfortunately it IS DIY and although ridiculously easy to try out for oneself it does involve mains voltages which is why it hasn't taken off beyond the fringes. The chokes themselves have also doubled in price over the last few years so it's a $90 tweak not the $40 or so it used to be. Still, it beats the $1000 and up retail option.

EDIT: Just checked and Parts Express has the 193M for half price! Link added
To say I'm skeptical of this is a understatement. I suspect the placebo affect in action here.

My background (electrical and other engineering) leads me to question how this would make any detectible, or maybe even measurable, difference.

If I took a massive leap... if you have VERY noisy power this might clean it up and the bulb might, maybe, perform a tad better - brighter and different color output - but this would be very slight and not likely noticeable by anything but electronic test equipment.

Since the DLP is a mirror chip with a spinning color wheel, there will be no possible way the electricity could affect color, contrast, etc.

Nor could the power affect the post processing circuitry which could/does change the colors, contrast, etc
cholmes1 likes this.

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne, 110" DIY Screen, BenQ W1070, Z-Wave/Insteon/Vera automation
Livin is online now  
post #10461 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
kikkoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
FYI, the W1070 is on sale at B&H Photo and Amazon for $639 today, so I just pulled the trigger on it. Now more researching and asking questions on my room setup

Also, has anyone had issues with a long hdmi cable, like 25-50' going to the projector? I think I read if you get power spikes from a lightning storm, it could cause issues with the hdmi board.
Bait-fish likes this.

kikkoman is offline  
post #10462 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Nexgen76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 364
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just pulled the trigger on my w1070.....What kinda of HDMI cable i need if its going to be 18-20ft back from viewing distance...Thxs
Nexgen76 is offline  
post #10463 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Member
 
wushuliu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
To say I'm skeptical of this is a understatement. I suspect the placebo affect in action here.

My background (electrical and other engineering) leads me to question how this would make any detectible, or maybe even measurable, difference.

If I took a massive leap... if you have VERY noisy power this might clean it up and the bulb might, maybe, perform a tad better - brighter and different color output - but this would be very slight and not likely noticeable by anything but electronic test equipment.

Since the DLP is a mirror chip with a spinning color wheel, there will be no possible way the electricity could affect color, contrast, etc.

Nor could the power affect the post processing circuitry which could/does change the colors, contrast, etc
Not placebo. But I've done my legwork over the years regarding the choke. Feel free to do yours.
wushuliu is offline  
post #10464 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Member
 
DaytonBuckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm almost ready to order this from Amazon. It's currently $639 plus free shipping. Is the 2 or 3 year warranty through Amazon worth it? $18 for 2 year and $53 for 3 year. Here are the details...

2 year:
  • 2-year coverage from date of purchase: electrical & mechanical failures
  • Fixed or receive full replacement cost in 5 days or less - guaranteed
  • Free 2-way shipping for repairs
  • 100% parts and labor covered with no deductibles
  • Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in first 30 days.
3 year:
  • 3-year coverage from date of purchase: electrical & mechanical failures
  • Fixed or receive full replacement cost in 5 days or less - guaranteed
  • Free 2-way shipping for repairs
  • 100% parts and labor covered with no deductibles
  • Fully transferable with gifts. Cancel anytime, full refund in first 30 days.
Thanks
DaytonBuckeye is offline  
post #10465 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Member
 
DaytonBuckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I procrastinated too long. The Amazon price is back up to $749. ARGH!
DaytonBuckeye is offline  
post #10466 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
Not placebo. But I've done my legwork over the years regarding the choke. Feel free to do yours.
If what you did made a large, or even small, difference companies specializing in this sort of thing would be advertising it as such... there are even articles from experts stating that power conditioners definitely DO NOT make any PQ difference... they are only a precautionary measure for surge and brown outs. I base my conclusions on defensible proof points, the engineer in me requires it - if you'd like to present proof I'm sure there would be MANY people interested in them.
cholmes1 likes this.

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne, 110" DIY Screen, BenQ W1070, Z-Wave/Insteon/Vera automation
Livin is online now  
post #10467 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
kikkoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonBuckeye View Post
Well, I procrastinated too long. The Amazon price is back up to $749. ARGH!
I believe the B&H Photo deal is still up but you have to use your mobile device...could be wrong...

kikkoman is offline  
post #10468 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 2,202
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
If what you did made a large, or even small, difference companies specializing in this sort of thing would be advertising it as such... there are even articles from experts stating that power conditioners definitely DO NOT make any PQ difference... they are only a precautionary measure for surge and brown outs. I base my conclusions on defensible proof points, the engineer in me requires it - if you'd like to present proof I'm sure there would be MANY people interested in them.
It doesn't sound so farfetched to me, basically because of the motor driven color wheel. Slight fluctuations in frequency of the power would result in fluctuations of motor speed, thereby affecting color wheel speed and accuracy of color. I can see it making little or no difference to an LCD or LCoS projector, but a color wheel based single chip DLP is another story. Although using a decent UPS would seem to take care of this issue as well as protect against premature shutdown or spikes of a power outage.

Some high resolution pictures of unconditioned power vs. choked power would be welcome.

*********************
Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub

Last edited by dreamer; 12-01-2014 at 07:48 PM.
dreamer is offline  
post #10469 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I could use a bit of help. I know basically nothing about setting up a home theatre system. But read a bunch, this site helps a lot actually.
I got the BenQ 1075 yesterday, $800 bucks on sale. so I just dove in.

My overall plan is to use a sound bar with it. I was thinking the JBL SB400 after reading a bunch of stuff online.

However, here's where my lack of knowledge comes in and I can't seem to find anything on this online.
Do I have to use a receiver with a sound bar?
If not, will the video transmit from a ps4 or blue-ray player through the sound bar to the projector if I basically just use the sound bar like a receiver?

If I still need a receiver for this, do I have to make sure I get one that can process 3D like the Sony STR-DH540?


Another dilemma is what to do about wiring.... it'll be a mess with the way my room layout is.
Are there wireless speakers that you can get for a good receiver?

Sorry lots of questions, but I'm 2 days into this with zero experience
I attached the layout of my living room.
My final dilemma is whether to mount the projector to the ceiling (10 foot ceilings) or on a shelf or side mount on the pillar in the picture there.


Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProjectorSetup.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	396730  
_Loman is offline  
post #10470 of 11393 Old 12-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Livin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dreamer, It is very far fetched

If you want to know why none of what either of you suggest is possible, do research on these things...
Ac to DC conversion, regulated DC power supplies and harmonics, power smoothing, and DC motors.
... If you understand what you find you'll quickly realize that what you thought is not possible. Or you are geniuses and should publish your PhD thesis quickly and take in the grant money ;-)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
cholmes1 likes this.

________
Ltek

setup: Kodi, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne, 110" DIY Screen, BenQ W1070, Z-Wave/Insteon/Vera automation
Livin is online now  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off