BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 358 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10711 of 11315 Old 01-04-2015, 11:50 PM
Newbie
 
crank73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Perfect thanks. Just ordered it.
crank73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10712 of 11315 Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Member
 
wasure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Would there be anything wrong with buying a bulb months or a year before it's needed?

I use my projector everyday so don't want a gap in there waiting for a new bulb to arrive, but at 5,000 hours and going strong I have no idea when this thing's going to go.
wasure is offline  
post #10713 of 11315 Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Member
 
wasure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Would there be anything wrong with buying a bulb months or a year before it's needed?

I use my projector everyday so don't want a gap in there waiting for a new bulb to arrive, but at 5,000 hours and going strong I have no idea when this thing's going to go.
wasure is offline  
post #10714 of 11315 Old 01-06-2015, 04:43 AM
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasure View Post
Would there be anything wrong with buying a bulb months or a year before it's needed?

I use my projector everyday so don't want a gap in there waiting for a new bulb to arrive, but at 5,000 hours and going strong I have no idea when this thing's going to go.
I have seen multiple people mention doing that, the only downside I can see to this is that it would be harder to return if the new bulb is a dud but you bought it over 6 months ago they are not going to be as likely to let you return it.

I plan to buy a new bulb when I hit 5000 hours even if the current bulb is still going strong.
chmcke01 is offline  
post #10715 of 11315 Old 01-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Member
 
jimmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an ISF calibration scheduled for 1/17, do I need to have a minimum number of hours on the PJ before then, or any other pre-calibration actions to complete?

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Velodyne F1200
jimmueller is offline  
post #10716 of 11315 Old 01-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Nalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 304
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank73 View Post
Ok. Looks like a splitter is the way to go. Anyone have any advice. I've researched several and they range from 20 to 120 bucks. Why the difference. What am I looking for.
I will not be using the projector and tv at the same time. Both my tv and projector can play 1080p but my tv does not play 3D and I plan to watch some 3D blurays with my ps4 on the BenQ. Some splitters don't mention 3d capability and some switches say that both displays connected to the outputs must be 3d capable for the 3d signal to work.
Can I assume that if the display I am not using is OFF, then the splitter thinks it's only connected to one output so all that is moot? Some splitters also say that it will default to the lowest resolution display. Once again, is that assuming both displays are being used at the same time? So it does not apply to me?
Thanks.

I use this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-301BN-P...vo+hdmi+switch

Only problem I have with it is that the LEDs on the front of it are incredibly bright. I used a Sharpee to tone them down a bit.
Nalow is offline  
post #10717 of 11315 Old 01-06-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasure View Post
Would there be anything wrong with buying a bulb months or a year before it's needed?

I use my projector everyday so don't want a gap in there waiting for a new bulb to arrive, but at 5,000 hours and going strong I have no idea when this thing's going to go.
Yes, buy a replacement bulb in advance, maybe around the 3000 or 4000 hour mark. It can take a few weeks for it to arrive from China, even with expedited shipping (I paid 40 bucks extra on top of the 80 the bulb costs to get it over xmas).

When I installed my bulb, I cleaned the inside a bit but it wasn't enough and the new bulb was causing the projector to overheat and shut down. So you really need to open it up, and clean the insides (heat sink and fans) of dust thoroughly.

You can also replace the loud fans. I'm looking into doing that myself. Tonight I will take measurements of the fans and check the service manual, then order some appropriately sized but quieter fans from newegg. Probably with a dial to control the fan speeds manually.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10718 of 11315 Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Actually, it's the blower fan that's super loud on this thing not the three case fans.

It's got a funny shape to it, so it might be tough to find a replacement. I'm going to take it apart one last time tonight and see if I can find something appropriate online that I can put in its place, so long as it has enough air flow and the right voltage. And much quieter too, obviously.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10719 of 11315 Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
garciab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Princeton, TX - USA
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
Actually, it's the blower fan that's super loud on this thing not the three case fans.

It's got a funny shape to it, so it might be tough to find a replacement. I'm going to take it apart one last time tonight and see if I can find something appropriate online that I can put in its place, so long as it has enough air flow and the right voltage. And much quieter too, obviously.
I appreciate any feedback you provide for possibly making this jewel quieter. Thanks in advance!
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

bg
garciab is offline  
post #10720 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 12:58 AM
Newbie
 
Smith1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
There is some Info on the german "hifi-forum".
Smith1212 is offline  
post #10721 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 12:59 AM
Newbie
 
Smith1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
About the fan.
Smith1212 is offline  
post #10722 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Newbie
 
Smith1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Don't know about the verification.
Smith1212 is offline  
post #10723 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 AM
Newbie
 
Smith1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
It says:
"For anyone who is interested in Benq fans:

https://plus.google.com/118085649901...ts/gjXjiUfrCjT

You also can buy them from Aliexpress, there are two versions:

ADDA 7025 AD07012DX257600, this fan has shorter wire but cost less and compatible with the projector:
http://de.aliexpress.com/item/New-Original-ADDA-7025-AD07012DX257600-12V-0-32A-3Wire-Projector-fan-cooling-fan/1700850733.html?recommendVersion=1

ADDA 7025 AD07012DB257300:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...032640750.html

Benq projector HD photos:
https://plus.google.com/118085649901...ts/cqwyuvJTdBY

If you want make your fan silent especially if it has been installed on the ceiling, you can use this Noctua silencer, it should calm down the fan noise:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-031-NC"

Sorry for the spam posts before, but as I 'm new, I had to get 5 posts to get the links to work ;-).
RLBURNSIDE and Tommy Mang like this.

Last edited by Smith1212; 01-07-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Smith1212 is offline  
post #10724 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Member
 
jimmueller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Those Noctua NA-SRC10 3-pin low-noise adapters reduce the noise by reducing the fan speed by 30%. In addition, the adapter is strictly not to be used with fans that draw more than 3W of power... the BenQ link you posted for the Adda fan shows rated power of 3.6W, and real power of 2.64W.

Could that cause long term reliability or warranty concerns?

Yamaha RX-V2600, Fisher MT-9090, Mitsubishi HS-U80, Pioneer DVL-90, Sony BDP-S550, Nakamichi Dragon, Sony CDP-X555ES, Carver AV-634, Carver TFM-42, Panasonic TC-P54V10, BenQ W1070, Polk SDA-1C mains, Polk CS400i center, Polk Fxi A4 surrounds, Polk RT1A1 surround back, Velodyne F1200
jimmueller is offline  
post #10725 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I'm 99% sure replacing those 3 fans won't noticeably reduce the overall noise.

It's the blower fan that needs to be replaced, really.

That one is in the middle of the case (see those pics? It's only in the one that shows all the guts of the projector removed, and it's squarely in the middle of the base of the case, not those regular fans).

I found some "silent" blower fans on alibaba but I have to measure the stock one, then double check the required CFM to make sure it will provide enough cooling to the lamp and fit. The side fans could be replaced too, but you should start with the weakest link in the noise equation.

Now that I have my projector fully taken apart, I need to clean the actual display chip because the compressed air cannister blew some liquid onto it, now instead of dust balls when I focus out, I see the glass has dried water bubbles which is much worse. If I can't fix it myself, it's time to start shopping around for a new projector I guess. As much fun as this PJ is, if I'm gonna spend some dough I want better blacks.

I'm only ordering a replacement blower fan if I can satisfactorily clean my image sensor. If I do, then I will definitely mod it. I might even build myself a hushbox from an HTPC case with some decent air filters. At that point I might even pick up a better glass lens for the front from the used camera shop downstairs from my apartment. Then I can increase the throw ratio and zoom range and maybe have a close-to-silent projector that also has a much more suitable setup to place my anamorphic lens. My lens right now doesn't even sit squarely in front of the output of the BenQ lens since it is recessed. It still works but is not ideal since it isn't flush with the lens.

Another thing that would be super cool would be to overclock the colour wheel, maybe stick in a 9X colour wheel instead if I can find one.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10726 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
bigcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
whats a good power extension cord if there is no outlet near a ceiling mounted pj? It would run along the ceiling and visible and down the wall, so it'd be nice to find something as thin as possible, probably 30ft I am thinking.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 w/ Denon AVR-1612, Polk Audio RM6750 | BenQ W1070 Projector w/ Silver Ticket 120" Screen & Onkyo HT-S770 | Sony Bravia XBR-60LX900 w/ Sony HTCT550W 3D Sound Bar | Sony SXRD KDS-R70XBR2 | Sony PS3 (Slim) | DIRECTV Genie HR44-500, C41s | Harmony 700
bigcat is offline  
post #10727 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith1212 View Post
It says:
If you want make your fan silent especially if it has been installed on the ceiling, you can use this Noctua silencer, it should calm down the fan noise:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FG-031-NC

Sorry for the spam posts before, but as I 'm new, I had to get 5 posts to get the links to work ;-).
Actually, a sound inverter might be the best solution to cancel out the noise, since you don't need to modify or even open the projector in theory. Will have to investigate that.

Another thing I've been wondering, is using 4:2:0 chroma subsampling at 1080p to get 120hz 3D into this BenQ, similar to how you can get 60hz 4K through your old HDMI 1.4a gear:

UHD TV owners with HTPCs - new nvidia drivers enable 4K at 60Hz, with a catch

A firmware would probably have to be hacked to do this, but I might try increasing the refresh rate at 1080p beyond 60hz tonight, after switching the chroma output mode to 4:2:0 in my GTA 970 driver (if I can do that. I think my old AMD card had such choices)
Tommy Mang likes this.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10728 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Member
 
chmcke01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Got a good one?

I don't know if I just got a really quiet one, but I have never noticed the projector being loud. I can almost never even hear it and when I do never to an extent that it is annoying or disruptive. Then again I only have 1500-2000 hours on it so that could change.
chmcke01 is offline  
post #10729 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Newbie
 
aptalca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to include my experience with 3d sbs formats and this projector's capabilities.

The most common half 3d method is half-sbs (hsbs). 90% of my half 3d movies are hsbs. Unfortunately, it is the least supported format by display devices (compared to frame packed and hou).

With the latest firmware update, 1.08, 1080p60 HSBS capability is added to this projector, but there is a catch. It has to be in RGB format. Not sure what the technical difficulty was as it was just a software update (maybe they will add other formats in the next update).

Anyway, I was a little cautious at first, because a lot of non-pc media streamers don't let you change output to RGB or yuv, etc. But the good news is the Roku 3 already outputs in RGB. And it can direct play mkvs. So I am able to play half-sbs mkvs in 1080p on the Roku 3 without having to change any settings (I use plex) and the projector allows me to turn on 3D. It is glorious.

Before the firmware 1.08, I had to switch the Roku output to 720p so I could play hsbs in 60Hz and get the 3D option enabled.

With the firmware updates, this little projector turned out to be an excellent investment.
aptalca is offline  
post #10730 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Luis Gabriel Gerena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Orem, Utah
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptalca View Post
I just wanted to include my experience with 3d sbs formats and this projector's capabilities.

The most common half 3d method is half-sbs (hsbs). 90% of my half 3d movies are hsbs. Unfortunately, it is the least supported format by display devices (compared to frame packed and hou).

With the latest firmware update, 1.08, 1080p60 HSBS capability is added to this projector, but there is a catch. It has to be in RGB format. Not sure what the technical difficulty was as it was just a software update (maybe they will add other formats in the next update).

Anyway, I was a little cautious at first, because a lot of non-pc media streamers don't let you change output to RGB or yuv, etc. But the good news is the Roku 3 already outputs in RGB. And it can direct play mkvs. So I am able to play half-sbs mkvs in 1080p on the Roku 3 without having to change any settings (I use plex) and the projector allows me to turn on 3D. It is glorious.

Before the firmware 1.08, I had to switch the Roku output to 720p so I could play hsbs in 60Hz and get the 3D option enabled.

With the firmware updates, this little projector turned out to be an excellent investment.
So now you can do 1080 60Hz with those files or still 24Hz?
I always wanted to try getting 60Hz to use the SVP (smooth motion) for 60fps option with MPC or similar but never got the HSBS to work , just weird output.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
Luis Gabriel Gerena is offline  
post #10731 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Walnut, CA, USA
Posts: 2,082
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I'm 99% sure replacing those 3 fans won't noticeably reduce the overall noise.

It's the blower fan that needs to be replaced, really.

That one is in the middle of the case (see those pics? It's only in the one that shows all the guts of the projector removed, and it's squarely in the middle of the base of the case, not those regular fans).

I found some "silent" blower fans on alibaba but I have to measure the stock one, then double check the required CFM to make sure it will provide enough cooling to the lamp and fit. The side fans could be replaced too, but you should start with the weakest link in the noise equation.

Now that I have my projector fully taken apart, I need to clean the actual display chip because the compressed air cannister blew some liquid onto it, now instead of dust balls when I focus out, I see the glass has dried water bubbles which is much worse. If I can't fix it myself, it's time to start shopping around for a new projector I guess. As much fun as this PJ is, if I'm gonna spend some dough I want better blacks.

I'm only ordering a replacement blower fan if I can satisfactorily clean my image sensor. If I do, then I will definitely mod it. I might even build myself a hushbox from an HTPC case with some decent air filters. At that point I might even pick up a better glass lens for the front from the used camera shop downstairs from my apartment. Then I can increase the throw ratio and zoom range and maybe have a close-to-silent projector that also has a much more suitable setup to place my anamorphic lens. My lens right now doesn't even sit squarely in front of the output of the BenQ lens since it is recessed. It still works but is not ideal since it isn't flush with the lens.

Another thing that would be super cool would be to overclock the colour wheel, maybe stick in a 9X colour wheel instead if I can find one.
If you want some really high quality glass lenses to play with, I noticed some JVC G10 projectors on ebay with $50-$75 and no bids.

I actually have a G10 and G1000 that I am going to send to electronic recycling Saturday because no tinkerers replied to my thread. I would give them away to anyone willing to pick them up in So Cal.

These were $10,000 projectors with 2:1 motorized zoom and focus glass lenses, much larger than the W1070 final lens.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

*********************
Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
dreamer is offline  
post #10732 of 11315 Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I would consider buying it but first I need to fix the stains I accidentally sprayed on to my image sensor while trying to remove dust blobs. I held the compressed air can upside down without realizing it and liquid sprayed out into the DMD area. Eeek. It's worse than with the dust (though the dust is gone!). I'm still taking apart the optical area to try and clean it, using the service manual as a reference. I'm reluctant to invest any more money into tinkering with this until I can be sure that I can clean it. If I can't, it's going in the storage with all my other discarded junk gear

I don't really need a motorized zoom anyway, because I have an anamorphic lens, but improved glass in the optics shouldn't be too hard to come by. I have a deep room so I can change my projector position quite a bit if the focal distance changes.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10733 of 11315 Old 01-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
xabih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Iruna
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently adquire my W1070 and I think it has a faulty lens. I can't focus it correctly, the pixels looks blurred, is much noticeable on the right side of the screen. It looks like "ghost" greenish and purple pixels next to white pixels. It this normal on cheap projector or should I send it to customer service?

I have taken some photos (DSLR on a tripod):

Detail of "test" mode, center zone:

Detail of "test" mode, right zone::

Text on XBMC, center zone:

Text on XBMC, right zone:


Could be chromatic aberration caused by faulty lens?

Mas vale duda que dogma.
xabih is offline  
post #10734 of 11315 Old 01-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Member
 
wasure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone been using one of those Chinese "OSRAM P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.8" bare bulbs? I could buy 4 of them for the price of one benq lamp kit so it's very tempting but worrying...
wasure is offline  
post #10735 of 11315 Old 01-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
As far as I recall they have to the .9, not .8.? (Osram P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.9n)
Tommy Mang likes this.
ChaPPy007 is offline  
post #10736 of 11315 Old 01-09-2015, 05:45 AM
Member
 
LFM2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I would consider buying it but first I need to fix the stains I accidentally sprayed on to my image sensor while trying to remove dust blobs. I held the compressed air can upside down without realizing it and liquid sprayed out into the DMD area. Eeek. It's worse than with the dust (though the dust is gone!). I'm still taking apart the optical area to try and clean it, using the service manual as a reference. I'm reluctant to invest any more money into tinkering with this until I can be sure that I can clean it. If I can't, it's going in the storage with all my other discarded junk gear

I don't really need a motorized zoom anyway, because I have an anamorphic lens, but improved glass in the optics shouldn't be too hard to come by. I have a deep room so I can change my projector position quite a bit if the focal distance changes.
I really hope you can clean up the optical path. I would be very interested in the lens changing mod. I bought an anamorphic lens from ebay but with the projector location I have now I have to zoom outside the width of the lens to get image size I want. Before I relocate the projector, I would like to see if its possible to improve the lens.
LFM2 is offline  
post #10737 of 11315 Old 01-09-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I stayed up late last night working on this for hours with my girlfriend. Actually I had to hold the lens in place while she used her thin fingers to gently wipe off the image chip inside the lens assembly, and the mirror. My fingers are too fat and "sausagey" (LOL) for such delicate work!

I didn't get a chance to test it before bed because the projector didn't turn on!! I guess I missed a wire somewhere, I hope it ain't busted but it was unwatchable. We cleaned the opticals again and again with both a wet nap and a microfiber cloth, then more air, then more wiping, repeated until all optical surfaces didn't have anything on them. It should be ok now, if I didn't ruin the electronics during all this jigging around.

Replacing the lens itself is more a question of finding the right way to mount a new one to the existing enclosure, while being able to keep it sealed shut after you screw it all back together. I recommend doing this at the same time as the cleaning job because if you get extra dust in there, you can fix it before putting it all back together. I think my own dust blobs came in when I had a screw in the top out, which left a tiny hole and allowed some air in. Because blowing air through the DMD tunnel thingy shouldn't arrive inside the "sealed" (I use that term loosely, it obviously isn't perfectly sealed) assembly, because there is a lens on both the input and the output of this assembly, and they are both snugly fit. The air and dust blobs for me while cleaning it must have come in from somewhere else.

Anyway, the blower fan should also be replaceable, if you can find something that doesn't take up *any* more volume (because it fits snug between some heat sinks at the base of the case, there really is no wiggle room there for something larger) or with much larger, variable fan rate quiet-spec blower fan that you install outside the case and have it blow into it some how, probably a tube. Quite possibly the best mod for this case is a blower fan that you jury rig into it somewhere else, like possibly where one of the other fans lives. Then you still have to make sure enough air is getting out of the case. Quite possibly, the best, best solution is a flat-style blower fan, that you drill a hole into the base of the case and tape its hose well into the input of the other one.

I'm not doing ordering any new optics or fans until I get my PJ back to working 100% (heck, at this point, even turning on LOL). Hopefully tonight.

It would be GREAT to have a quiet projector. I heard that a lot of manufacturers also have DisplayPort 1.2a scalers with Freesync, so I may look into trying to get one of those and haxx0r this little projector to have a DisplayPort input. Another thing I thought about to get 1080p 120hz 3D for 3DTV Play, is to follow NVidia's way to get get 60hz 4K over HDMI 1.4 : use 4:2:0 chroma subsampling. For fast-paced games and movies, it would be great to have full 1080p, up to 60hz per eye 3D, with variable refresh rate.

If I ever get that working, maybe using some of those Blu-ray lasers to mod this projector into a retrofit laser projector would be super cool too, because you could have the light travel over a fiber optics into the projector, thereby removing the need for any fans in there aside from the already-quiet heatsink fans (which I'm sure could also be replaced by even quieter ones).
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10738 of 11315 Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabih View Post
Could be chromatic aberration caused by faulty lens?
That definitely does look like CA to me. I would return it if possible. If it's out of warranty, either live with it, or take it apart, clean it, then put it back together and maybe it'll be aligned better.

I wrote a shader to correct CA which you could adapt to solve your issue, but it reduces the sharpness a little. Much better to start off with a good optics. You might also try adjusting the image overflow screws on the side of the DMD.
xabih likes this.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10739 of 11315 Old 01-09-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RLBURNSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaPPy007 View Post
As far as I recall they have to the .9, not .8.? (Osram P-VIP 240/0.8 E20.9n)
Yes, the 0.9 is the one you want. I just got the 80 dollar one from China and it's virtually identical to my original.
RLBURNSIDE is online now  
post #10740 of 11315 Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 AM
Newbie
 
xabih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Iruna
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
That definitely does look like CA to me. I would return it if possible.
I will, it's in warranty.

Mas vale duda que dogma.
xabih is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off